• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview The Prologue To Mewtwo’s Awakening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sylveon time.

Callin' it.

For some reason, Virgil's presence takes all the excitement about this special away.

He's just so bland and uninteresting to me.

Of course Virgil has to appear in this special. His entire existence a walking "Pikachu and Eevee Friends" promotion/advertisement.
I don't think this will lead to his Eevee evolving into Sylveon, though.

I agree with all of you, to me, Virgil was nothing more than an excuse to shove the Eeveelutions down everyone's throats, his character has absolutely no personality whatsoever, and he only exists to appease the Eevee fans, nothing more

Because of the Mewtwo movie being with the Eevee and friends short, it's obvious this will have both not just Awakened Mewtwo, but most likely Sylveon in it, that's the only real reason Virgil is here is to promote the new Eevee short and Sylveon.

I'd actually be surprised if Sylveon showed up in this short. The focus is on Mewtwo's new form here- having Sylveon show up as well would take too much focus off that. I think it's entirely possible Virgil's here not because of a marketing ploy but because he's a Pokemon Rescue Squad leader and it actually makes sense for him to show up in this situation.

But I have no desire to rehash this tired old debate again.
It seems to me that you did.

I merely stated that there's no confirmation that either the Rocket-Dan or Fuji-Hakase will appear in this special. None of the preview images for the special show either the Rocket-Dan or Fuji-Hakase, none of the summaries mention them, we don't know if any of their voice actors will be here...

You're the one who started the whole "if this is the same Mewtwo" stuff.

As far as Virgil goes...I wonder if the reason they didn't really do much with the guy in the series proper was because they knew he was going to show up in his own special later on down the road? That still doesn't excuse the poor way he was handled (I mean really, no on-screen battles in the Isshu League at all!?), but it could maybe explain why the writers felt it was OK to not use him so much at that time.

And with Nymphia, I feel like they would be hyping its appearance up if it was going to show up here, especially considering how much they've been hyping up the whole "Nymphia is the first pokemon from X & Y to show up in animation!" thing the last few months.

There's no ash. It has instantly become a must watch even with all the shameless eevee plugging.

[video=youtube;qOkaRCQ7Ej4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qOkaRCQ7Ej4[/video]

At 0:11-0:15 in the footage, it seems quite obvious that Virgil and the other characters are shown Mewtwo's flashback from Mewtwo Returns. We see Mewtwo being crucified and later starting to break the torture devices that Giovanni used.

Does anyone really think this is a coincidence?

At 0:11-0:15 in the footage, it seems quite obvious that Virgil and the other characters are shown Mewtwo's flashback from Mewtwo Returns.
I don't think so. There were only two "heart changing" devices in the TV special, and they were on the ground, rather than surrounding Mewtwo. Plus, they were bigger, and in the video Mewtwo seems in be inside some sort of facility rather than outside (a gray wall with lines is visible behind Mewtwo).

You could argue that it's a flashback error, but that sort of thing is pretty big compared to a coloring error. Not gonna lie though, the crucifixion brought back memories of the TV special.

Last edited:
Okay, my memory of the scene was a bit fuzzy. I suppose that this is more likely to be a flashback to the recent incident that got Mewtwo injured. That said, if they're trying to create a new backstory for Mewtwo, they're doing a bad job at it by re-using crucifixion.

My guess is that the explanation for the voice change and ultimately the new Forme lies in whatever recent experiment has been done on Mewtwo. At least we have confirmation that the Forme is related to outer space.

Crucification is a commonly used trope to show someone being completely and utterly overpowered. The same thing happened to Meloetta last year, remember?

Also, the narration during those scenes in the Smash! preview (as well as the written summaries we have) states that this is a story that takes place before Satoshi and his friends met Myuutwo. The events of "Mewtwo Returns" happen well after that.

Also, the narration during those scenes in the Smash! preview (as well as the written summaries we have) states that this is a story that takes place before Satoshi and his friends met Myuutwo. The events of "Mewtwo Returns" happen well after that.
Which friends? Unless they were being specific, surely they're referring to Iris and Cilan. The use of past tense doesn't mean anything since Movie 16 most likely takes place in Unova.

They just say "Satoshi-tachi."

So yeah, they're referring to Iris and Dent. But Satoshi's included in that as well.

I can see how you can misinterpret that as them meaning "this story takes place before these three people, collectively, meet the pokemon for the first time," but that's clearly not what they mean here.

I can see how you can misinterpret that as them meaning "this story takes place before these three people, collectively, meet the pokemon for the first time," but that's clearly not what they mean here.
And how do you know that? They don't even say that they meet Mewtwo for the first time; I think it's obvious that they just want us to know that this is a prologue to the movie. Nothing more.

Also, your logic perplexes me. If you think that this is a new Mewtwo, what made you reach the conclusion that this special happens even before Movie 1?

Last edited:
So far we have no confirmation that either the Rocket-Dan or Fuji-Hakase will play any role in this special.
But we do know that Mewtwo's past will be addressed. If this is the original Mewtwo, I expect to see references to those characters.

What other Mewtwos are there in the anime? There's only one, it was a cloning mess up that made Mewtwo, and if Team Rocket made another Mewtwo, they wouldn't name it Mewtwo, more likely Mewthree.

What other Mewtwos are there in the anime? There's only one, it was a cloning mess up that made Mewtwo, and if Team Rocket made another Mewtwo, they wouldn't name it Mewtwo, more likely Mewthree.
Some people seem to be convinced that this is a different Mewtwo because it has a different voice. I have yet to see an explanation for why a second clone would be called Mewtwo.

Silktree said:
And how do you know that?

Common sense.

Also, your logic perplexes me. If you think that this is a new Mewtwo, what made you reach the conclusion that this special happens even before Movie 1?

You certainly have a gift for grossly misinterpreting the things people say, I'll give you that.

Satoshi met the old Myuutwo, the one from the first movie. But if this is a brand new Myuutwo - and it's super obvious that it is - then Satoshi and his friends haven't met it yet. They will meet it, though, in the new movie that comes out July 13th. This TV special takes place before Satoshi and his friends meet it, so that means it takes place before the new movie.

What in the world gave you the idea that I thought this special took place before a movie that debuted almost 15 years ago?

Some people seem to be convinced that this is a different Mewtwo because it has a different voice.

You're the only person I've seen who still refuses to believe that they've retconned a new Myuutwo into the franchise.

As I've said, though, we'll know one way or another on July 11th.

Common sense.
Just like how it was common sense to assume that Mewtwo would transform in the movie for the first time? You were blatantly sure of that, and yet look where we are. Your common sense leaves something to be desired.

You certainly have a gift for grossly misinterpreting the things people say, I'll give you that.

Satoshi met the old Myuutwo, the one from the first movie. But if this is a brand new Myuutwo - and it's super obvious that it is - then Satoshi and his friends haven't met yet. They will meet it, though, in the new movie that comes out July 13th. This TV special takes place before Satoshi and his friends meet it, so that means it takes place before the new movie.

What in the world gave you the idea that I thought this special took place before a movie that debuted almost 15 years ago?
Excuse me? You specifically said that "the events of 'Mewtwo Returns' happen well after that." How on earth did I misinterpret that?

You're the only person I've seen who still refuses to believe that they've retconned a new Myuutwo into the franchise.
Look around other forums, specifically SPPf. This forum is no indication of the consensus since you and I are practically the only ones discussing this topic.

Some people seem to be convinced that this is a different Mewtwo because it has a different voice.

I'm pretty sure that isn't the only reason that is making people be convinced that it's a different Mewtwo.

I have yet to see an explanation for why a second clone would be called Mewtwo.

Why would it not be called Mewtwo? If someone, say, made a Mewtwo without knowing that another Mewtwo exists, of course they would call it Mewtwo.

Just like how it was common sense to assume that Mewtwo would transform in the movie for the first time? You were blatantly sure of that, and yet look where we are. Your common sense leaves something to be desired.

So he was wrong... sue him...

I'm pretty sure that isn't the only reason that is making people be convinced that it's a different Mewtwo.
I have yet to see anyone come up with another reason.

Why would it not be called Mewtwo? If someone, say, made a Mewtwo without knowing that another Mewtwo exists, of course they would call it Mewtwo.
They would have to know about the first Mewtwo in order to replicate its unique DNA. If they just cloned Mew again, it would be incredibly farfetched for the outcome to turn out so strikingly similar to the original Mewtwo, which is far removed from Mew.

So he was wrong... sue him...
Apparently he needs to be reminded that he isn't always right.

I'm going to have to request that people tone down upon some of the personal tensions in this thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom