• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Protagonists/Player Characters

I like both the male and female designs this time around (although I do find the female character's hat a little stupid looking)

I'm glad GF played it safe again and didn't give us another Nate.

I adore the female PC:s hair! The hat bugs me to o end, though, it looks awkward and like it won't actually stay on her head (it's so tiny!) and the male PC looks blander than a freaking Youngster.. I'm hoping we'll get to change our hair colour early on, because seriously, only two hair colours to choose from over a range of four skin colours is ridiculous.

Edit: Oops, I'm a derp. Three hair colours *facepalm* Never mind then[emoji14]
Sent from my GT-S7710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You probably found it already, but here you go anyways:

gen7customization-pokemon-sun-moon.JPG

Unlike most people, I don't think the male protagonist looks too much like Calem. He has a different hair style and a different hat, how more different can you get? Generic, yeah, maybe, but too similiar to past protagonists? Not at all. I'll be going with the tan boy because it's the one that's the closest to me.

A friend linked me to the Japanese trailer, but this will be a good reference image to save, so thank you kindly! I like the wider range of skin colors compared to XY, as well. I might even go dark-skinned blonde again!

Has anyone come up with possible names for the protagonists?

For the male PC I think Sam (from Samson, Sun in Hebrew) would be a nice and subtle choice. For the female PC they could go with Diana (Roman Moon goddess). I also thought of Selena but it's too similar to Serena.

For the male PC I think Sam (from Samson, Sun in Hebrew) would be a nice and subtle choice. For the female PC they could go with Diana (Roman Moon goddess). I also thought of Selena but it's too similar to Serena.
i think it'll be tough to speculate on the PC names; they usually don't have much to do with the game titles. the name Shohei is probably linked to the male PC in some form, so that's at least a place to start.

Once again I hate the PCs. I don't understand why they keep making long haired male characters and force us to wear headgear. I hate it. The female's hat looks awfully silly. I think the only PCs I liked has been Ethan (not even the original Gold) and Hilda.
But thank god for customization, even if its minor. I just hope there's another salon where we can change the hair style/color. I'm not expecting tons of options but at least skin/hair custimization is back and not Kalos-exclusive.

I think Game Freak are purposely making terrible PCs, to show off Customization.

For five generations in a row (red, ethan, Brendan, Lucas, Hilbert, Nate) I didn't need, or even think, of changing my PCs appearence, because I always liked it the way they were made by GF.

In Kalos and Alola, though, Calem and this new guy, just SCREAM customization to me.

Of course, I am talking about the male character, as I always use the male pc.

Last edited:
I don't actually see how characters like Calem and Serena were any more bland than past gen characters. Lucas, Hilbert, Red--all their designs were pretty plain as well. Dawn and Lucas' designs are essentially mirrors of each other...

The girl looks somewhat like a brunette May, but imo she's prettier. Her outfit makes more sense, excluding the cap.
The guy is okay, the generic protagonist, brown haired with a cap, but he's the best looking of all, imo.
I'm relieved and happy they didn't go with something silly like Rosa or Shauna, so i have no real complains.
I'd like the standard trainer had at least another hair color, blonde or redhead. But they look ok.

I don't have a problem with the player character and I prefer to play them without Customization.

The official art for the girl makes me think of a K-On! character for some reason... That bugs me more than the hat. She is admittedly cute.

However, I'm questing with the boy who looks decent on his own (bland as sin and that lame shirt has got to go but, hey). I just pray customization is worth while this time. Gimme some blue and green hair some decent clothing accessories and for the sake of the boy, an actual variety of stuff (like, a bigger closet than the custodial one Calem got in XY)

The best news of today:

tumblr_o8rwkaEHEH1szs8g9o1_400.jpg

We can change the weird hat!

Thank god customization is back.
WOO!

I expected this, but I'm happy to be able to customize myself again. Granted, I'd rather not look too obviously like a kid/teen, but it's something big and good, still!

now there better be longer pants because theyre more comfortable and easier to wear than shorts

Even though the PCs designs are rather simple, and the guy does look a tad like Calem (not too much though), I like them. it looks like character customization is back, and since we can change the character around, I can see why they went with less complicated designs.

An interesting thing I have noted is that we haven't seen their official names yet. They might have gone back to doing just the box art names, Sun and Moon, but it would be odd after all this time. In the Battle Royal footage we got at E3, you can actually see names that aren't Sun and Moon under two of the trainers, one under the boy with the green shirt, and the other under the girl that is still in the same clothes as the official art. The male PC is Elio and the female PC is Selene. Part of me thinks that these might be the trainers name, but another part of me doubts it because Selene's name is two letters off of Serena's. Honestly, I will name my character something else anyway, but it is kind of weird if they would make the female character's name almost the same as the previous ones.

An interesting thing I have noted is that we haven't seen their official names yet. They might have gone back to doing just the box art names, Sun and Moon, but it would be odd after all this time. In the Battle Royal footage we got at E3, you can actually see names that aren't Sun and Moon under two of the trainers, one under the boy with the green shirt, and the other under the girl that is still in the same clothes as the official art. The male PC is Elio and the female PC is Selene. Part of me thinks that these might be the trainers name, but another part of me doubts it because Selene's name is two letters off of Serena's. Honestly, I will name my character something else anyway, but it is kind of weird if they would make the female character's name almost the same as the previous ones.

Elio and Selene are most likely just placeholder names, like Blair/Whitlea for Hilbert/Hilda and Xavier/Yvonne for Calem/Serena. I don't think there's ever been a consistent timeframe for revealing their canonical names; Calem/Serena's were revealed later on during the XY pre-release (likely due to their prominent role as the rival), but Nate/Rosa weren't learned until after the games actually came out.

Back
Top Bottom