• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The reason behind Stunfisk's creation...... guess?

Reaction score
I was browsing through the Unova dex when I saw Stunfisk and immediately this came to mind:

... why in the world was this creature created?

I mean, pokemon like Magikarp or Feebas have awesome evolutions. But Stunfisk doesn't have an evolution. And moreover, the stats are mediocre...

Let's be honest - do you use it for anything? It can't even be an HM slave. So was it created just for fun?

It's obviously the most beautiful Pokemon of all time.
It's on the same level as the godly Dunsparce in terms of sheer awesomeness.

I use it to make fish pancakes. 90% of the work is already done for me and it tastes so good.

There's a need for more fish Pokemon every gen, but since we have too many Water types already, they decided to make it Electric/Ground, which is why I like them to make a Rock/Poison type Stone Fish for next gen.

Stats and gameplay aren't the only thing that make a pokémon.

It is a curious creature created precisely because the game's world needs such.

... so basically a fancier way of saying "pokédex filler". But that is not a bad thing.

And while the concept may be quite... silly; I really like the fact that it is a fish, lives in water, but it's not a water type. There really should be more pokémon like that.

I use stunfisk because it's an electric type. But that doesn't mean I have to like it. But the reason for it's creation is a mystery to me.

Some people like the goofy and unique looking Pokemon, it may not be the best Pokemon but you can't say that no one will ever love it. I think he looks so goofy, and I like his design like that :)

Isn't it obvious? He was probably created solely because Gamefreak wanted to be funny. Which I'm fine with every once in a while, but I'm annoyed at how hugely popular his derpyness is in the fandom. Too much praise could lead to encouraging more of that kind of design, and I don't want Gamefreak or TPC to get carried away with their humor because I know they very well could.

Probably just to have a gimmick of an electric/ground type; but for some baffling reason, it won the hearts of many people. It's really suprising how popular this thing is. With all the better Pokemon out there, they decide to whore this stupid thing out with Pokemon Center merchandise! Yeah, I do not like it because it gets all this awesome merchandise made of it, and as a collector, I feel that better 5th generation Pokemon got gypped. Meh... whatever. More for the fans of this guy who genuinely like him because he's "cute" or because their favorite anime "bishie" owns one.

I definitely love StunFisk. I use it in many battles. Though I'm not sure why StunFisk was thought up, I admire Dent for catching one. Moreover, I find it Cute. :3

Stunfisk really can't be compared to fish like Magikarp and Feebas. For one thing, despite popular belief, it actually has useable stats. It's pretty bulky and then has a fairly wide movepool. Along with the unique type combo, I think it's more of a novelty Pokemon similar to Emolga or Chatot.

I like Stunfisk. It reminds me of my childhood. Any ways, I think it was created because they needed more Pokemon.

They just wanted to create a derp.

Everybody loves derps.

I actually think it's pretty cute.

Last edited:
As a gag. Same goes to Dunsparce. Or maybe they plan on giving it an evolution eventually.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom