• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Reason for the TM change(My Theory)

jcogginsa

Reaction score
In Black and White, TMs are now permaneant. I think this is because in the original four regions, there is a law preventing the manufacture of permaTMs. This law doesn't exist in Unova, so they can make Permaneant TMs. This also explains why there is no Item holding when Migrating: anti-smuggling laws

Normally this would be Farfetch'd, but it sounds plausible.

If that were true, then does that mean GF will go back to one-use only TMs in Gen VI?

If that were true, then does that mean GF will go back to one-use only TMs in Gen VI?

No!!! Why would you even possibly curse our future Pokemon Generation by saying that?!

@OT: I like your theories on both the Items and the TM's. What they could do for when they do future Generations or if they go back to older generations (preferably they would be updated instead of remakes so that this would make sense), is they could say that because the TM permanence was popular and useful in Unova, that it was legalized in the other regions shortly afterwards.

I wouldn't say that permaTMs were illegal in other regions. I think Unova just developed them first. The region is supposed to be more technologically advanced and they developed toys like the C-gear and Wonder Launcher, so why not permaTMs as well?

No!!! Why would you even possibly curse our future Pokemon Generation by saying that?!

Because I found the idea a little farfetched, and if it were true, then next gen would be an unlucky day for competitive play.

Given that BW happened after DPPtHGSS chronologically, technology could have simply, y'know, advanced. This makes sense especially if you consider the HM mechanic. But hey, what do I know?

I wouldn't say that permaTMs were illegal in other regions. I think Unova just developed them first. The region is supposed to be more technologically advanced and they developed toys like the C-gear and Wonder Launcher, so why not permaTMs as well?

Totally agree. It's an invention that would spread to the rest of the world.

only if we move away from the Unovaarea and back to the previous area
Given that BW happened after DPPtHGSS chronologically, technology could have simply, y'know, advanced. This makes sense especially if you consider the HM mechanic. But hey, what do I know?
Actually, HMs, in the context of this theory, are moves so useful that they made special laws so that they were allowed to be used.

only if we move away from the Unovaarea and back to the previous area

Actually, HMs, in the context of this theory, are moves so useful that they made special laws so that they were allowed to be used.

Two words: Occam's Razor

Whatever the reason, this change was so epic - I'm so glad I can reuse awesome TMs with powerful moves like Shadow Ball or X-Scissor.

There's another possibility, one that goes with my theory. I think that HMs were the first attempt to create reusable TMs. They succeeded in that regard, but discovered that the HM moves couldn't be easily forgotten. It was in Gen V that they finally perfected reusable TMs without the side effect of HMs.

There's another possibility, one that goes with my theory. I think that HMs were the first attempt to create reusable TMs. They succeeded in that regard, but discovered that the HM moves couldn't be easily forgotten. It was in Gen V that they finally perfected reusable TMs without the side effect of HMs.

This seems like a very plausible theory. But if that were the case, why did they not just make all former HM moves into TMs? Then again, it is possible that the side effects are a result of a problem with those moves themselves.

Well the only thing that worries me about the possibility of Reusable TM's being current Technology, is that does that mean every time we get a remade game that is Pre-5th Gen, we will go back to the original standard of one time only TM's? A remake is essentially going back in time, and everything before 5th Gen was one time only TM's... (Does this mean that if we do end up getting a 3rd Gen or 4th Gen remake, than Competitive battling will be tough to design teams again due to lack of Reusable TM's? I know it's not impossible and that Reusable TM's are merely a convenience, but they really did make Team Design that much easier.)

that's a fine theory, but not what i said

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom