• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

WORLDBUILDING: The Region of Equivos--A PMD Universe

Reaction score
After nearing the conclusion of the first story in my revised interpretation of the PMD universe, PMD: Unequivocant, I decided that it is time I make a worldbuilding thread to help resolve any questions there are in terms of the lore and world of Equivos and its sister dimension, the world of the mainline games.

My policy is simple: ask me a question about either world, and I will answer it. I plan on supplementing this with my own worldbuilding bits as I prepare my next writing. It will also help me make this world I've made more realistic and interesting to all involved, and I would love to stretch my mind about the different aspects of Equivos.

Until I've finished with Unequivocant, I don't plan on making any entries on my own. But I will definitely answer questions. The more people post, the more I'll write, so feel free to do so.

Each worldbuilding section will be written in the language of the primary scripture of the world, known as the Arceist Tome. It is the primary word of the world's creator, Arceus, and also acts a compilation of the history of the world. I have written such entries in Unequivocant, and would like to continue here.

To kick off the thread, I'll go ahead and provide my first worldbuilding entry:

The Enlightenment.
At the creation of Equivos, Xerneas created life. He made all the different Pokemon species, from the smallest Joltik to the largest Wailord. The world was wild in this time: Pokemon held no memory of family and friends, no emotion toward life and death, and no willpower to strive for a better existence. Every being born simply consumed and bred, having no inner spark to drive them to be like Arceus.

1000 years after the creation of Equivos, Arceus thought it time to allow sentience among his creations, so that they may make good works to him, and bring their fellow Pokemon to greater heights. He called upon his servants Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf to enlighten the population, and make Equivos the world he knew it could be.

And so the Enlightenment Pokemon went among the wild Pokemon and gathered them, so that they may spread their gift. Despite Arceus' wish to have all the Pokemon to hold his light, many rejected his gift, choosing instead to remain in ignorance and remain in their lowly position, neither advancing nor regressing.

The Enlightenment Pokemon granted to half the population memories, willpower, and emotion, so that they may bring good works to Arceus. And so they did, for 300 years.

But just as the Pokemon had the capability to do good, they had the capability to do evil. Those who continued on Arceus' path gained blessings and were prosperous, while those who rejected his prophets dwindled into grief, never satisfied with their lives. And so this dichotomy continues even until the end of Equivos.

If you want more worldbuilding bits in the language of the Arceist Tome, please ask questions, and I will do my best to reply.

Hi there, I'm glad to see another worldbuilding thread pop up! I'm always hungry for setting development, so consider me invested.

A short excerpt so far, but well written.Interesting that you've chosen to relay your worldbuilding through religious scripture. Will this limit what you can cover, at all? (Also, perhaps rather than 'language' you might use a word like 'register'? That might be a bit obscure, actually.) In any case I like how you've provided an explanation for the non-sapient pokémon who exist in PMD.

Since I'd love to see more, I'll give you your first question: what of humans in this world? What impact have humans had, if any, and what is their origin? (I assume they exist since your banner portrays a pokédex.)

A short excerpt so far, but well written.Interesting that you've chosen to relay your worldbuilding through religious scripture. Will this limit what you can cover, at all? (Also, perhaps rather than 'language' you might use a word like 'register'? That might be a bit obscure, actually.)

I am primarily interested in expanding on the history and setting of Equivos with this form of exposition; any questions about the characters of locations of Equivos will be answered normally. As for your question:

Since I'd love to see more, I'll give you your first question: what of humans in this world? What impact have humans had, if any, and what is their origin? (I assume they exist since your banner portrays a pokédex.)

Despite what my banner portrays, humans don't actually exist in Equivos. The Lucario with the Pokedex is actually the main character of Unequivocant, Lawrence Stephenson. In the story, he is transported to Equivos and ends up having the Pokedex be the only thing that comes with him. Given that you don't seem to have read the story, this is an understandable mistake. Good to see that you're interested though!

I'd like to apologize for my absence for the past few days. I was on a trip without access to electronics, so I was unable to post anything whatsoever. Feel free to make submissions, and I'll certainly answer them!

Last edited:
It is more figurative; either their minds were unwilling accept the change, or they simply weren't present, making the rejection more symbolic. Given that the wild Pokemon weren't really sentient, it wouldn't be accurate to say that they chose to reject sentience.

Thanks for your answer, @lucarioknight56. I have yet to read Unequivocant but I certainly am interested (and I love worldbuilding). I've received more than one recommendation by now, so expect some reviews from me in the future when I've made the time.

Might as well use this thread months after creating it to showcase a part of my world that isn't easily explained in my prose: the calendar.

Proclamation 21 said:
From the time of the Enlightenment, Pokemon have wished to track their days, realizing their mortality to act. They also wished to remember events in their lives, and those who are important to them. Thus, I, Arceus, in the 900th year after Equivos’ creation, do ordain this method of tracking the days and years of the world.

There are to be 365 days in a year, beginning and ending when the Cheri berries are ripe for harvest—the end of the flowering season. Each season, from the flowering, the growing, the harvesting, and the hibernating, will be separated in periods of 90 days, each further divided into months of 30 days. The final five days will be grouped into the end of the year as their own month.

Each season will be devoted to the remembrance of a group of Legends responsible for the creation of Equivos under my direction, with each of the three months devoted to one each. The growing season will be devoted to the Orderbringers for stabilizing the structure of the world, in remembrance of first Dialga, the Lord of Time; Palkia, the Lord of Space; and Giratina, the Lord of Other.

The harvesting season will be granted to the Lightbringers for granting light to the other Legends to complete their work, first to Solgaleo, the Sun; Lunala, the Moon; and Necrozma, the Stars.

Then in the hibernating season, the Worldbringers shall be celebrated, first Groudon, Lord of the Earth; Kyogre, Lord of the Oceans; and Rayquaza, Lord of the Skies.

Finally, the Lifebringers for making the faithful followers and granting them mortality to strive to be good Pokemon in their limited life: Xerneas, the Lifesealer; Yveltal, the Destruction; and Zygarde, the Order.

The way these days shall be reckoned is the number of days since the beginning of the Legend’s month, followed by the Legend themselves. As of this day, it would be the First Day of Giratina’s Month, or simply, Giratina’s First.

Within the months of the creator Legends, days shall be grouped in weeks of nine days. Each day of every week shall be devoted to the remembrance of a group of lesser Legends. The first day is to Lugia and Ho-Oh, the Twin Towers, for taming the storms of land and sea.

The second is to Entei, Suicune, and Raikou, the Waking Pokemon, for purifying the land after being resurrected by Ho-Oh.

The third is to the Tamers: Regigigas, Regice, Regirock, and Registeel, for shaping the continents.

The fourth is to Latias and Latios, the Eons, for delivering my word to mortal Pokemon.

The fifth is to Mew, the Origin, for providing the basis of all species of Pokemon.

The sixth is to Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem, the Balancers, for promoting unity amongst truth, ideals, and other.

The seventh is to the Tapus Koko, Lele, Fini and Bulu, the Guardian Spirits, for taming the islands of Cretea and allowing the Enlightened to inhabit it.

The eighth is to the Cobalion, Virizion, Terrakion and Keldeo, the Sacred Swords, for protecting the land alongside Necrozma against the Deoxys threat.

The final day is given to Cresselia and Darkrai, the Dreams, for granting visions to Pokemon, both positive and negative.

Alongside these weeks of reckoning, the first day of each month are to be for the remembrance of other lesser Legends. The first of Dialga’s month shall celebrate Moltres, the Inferno, who heralds the coming of the growing season.

The first of Palkia’s month will celebrate Celebi, the Traveler, for traveling across time to preserve the environments of Equivos.

The first of Giratina’s month will honor Meloetta for teaching song and dance to mortal Pokemon, providing pleasure and tradition.

The first of Solgaleo’s will honor Zapdos, the Storm, for heralding the coming of the harvesting season.

The first of Lunala’s is in honor of Hoopa, the Djinn, for preserving the strength of Legends using his hoops.

The first of Necrozma’s shall celebrate Jirachi, the Wishmaker, who was born in the Starfall.

The first of Groudon’s shall be for Articuno, the Blizzard, for heralding the coming cold of the hibernating season.

The first of Kyogre’s is Tornadus the Zephyr’s day for driving back the clouds to protect mortal Pokemon.

The first of Rayquaza’s day is to Thundurus the Bolt, for taming the thunder and lightning in the fiercest storms.

The first of Xerneas’ is to Shaymin, the Bloom, for heralding the beginning of the flowering season.

The first of Yveltal’s is to Victini, for promoting success amongst all Pokemon.

The first of Zygarde’s is to Landorus, the Farmer, for preparing the land for the growing season.

The final five days of Equivos’ year shall be a time of remembrance and change amongst mortal Pokemon. This is a special time to realize one’s mistakes from the course of the year and resolve to change them.

The first day is for remembering Mewtwo, the Champion, and how he first caused woe to mortal Pokemon, but realized his mistakes and sought to change.

The second day is for remembering Uxie, Sister of Knowledge. Remember loved ones, in thanks of memories, so that their stories can impact yours.

The third day is for remembering Mesprit, Sister of Emotion. Remember moments of life where despair and joy came and helped you know what is desirable in life.

The fourth day is for remembering Azelf, Sister of Willpower. Remember goals, past, present and future, so you can realize them and come closer to the self you wish to be.

The final day is for promising to myself, Arceus, the Creator, that you will follow your commitment to change, and to continue remembering the Legends and what they do. No work but mine is to be done this day.

Let this calendar give structure to the time of Equivos for the remembrance of Pokemon and of Legends.

~~~~

As of this writing 1500 years after the creation of Equivos, let Mewtwo’s day in the week of commitment to be in remembrance of the pain he brought to others and his disobedience to me instead of the changes he had made to become a loyal follower. This is done in response to his exile to the Isle of Regret for misusing his powers as a Legend.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom