• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The replacement of Red and Blue?

Reaction score
So as we saw from the tree house playthrough our rival has been replaced by Trace

pokemon-lets-go-evee-pikachu-trace-rival.jpg.webp

and clearly the trainer character isn't Red, now this remake is feeling off. If it for nostalgia why replace the most iconic rival with any friendly guy? Is gamefreak worried that Blue seems to much like a bully? But My main concern is he was the best plot twist in the game being the champion at the end and they just got rid of it :\ according to the leaks Blue and Red do still play a role but I'm confused as to what it could be but it seems they have been written out of canon unless the leaks are real.

As to what role they play I can't see one unless we set out on our journey right after Red and Blue do and thats why we get stuck with pikachu because we're ash (over slept and the starters got chosen before we got there) but don't see how that works since theres only three houses in pallet town. Unless we come from virdian to get our pokemon at the time Red and Blue leave to get oaks parcel. Then they're post game bosses or something...

(or more multiverse shenanigans we had team rainbow rocket with all bad guys now let's have team rainbow trainers with all the protagonists!) or this is somehow a sequel but I don't see it with regular team rocket being in the game.

What do you guys think of this?

I'm thinking that it would be thematically appropriate for Red/Blue to play the part of older mentors. As they have stated that they want nostalgic parents and their children to play the games. The two would symbolize this bond with the player character. If it isn't a sequel, all of this would just be in an alternate universe or something and aren't really canon to the main series. Because if the story isn't going to change from Yellow and Team Rocket's up to their old shenanigans, then that's the only thing that would make sense. Regardless of whether Red/Blue exist or not. (As Red was canonically the one to foil Team Rocket.)

I'm thinking that it would be thematically appropriate for Red/Blue to play the part of older mentors. As they have stated that they want nostalgic parents and their children to play the games. The two would symbolize this bond with the player character. If it isn't a sequel, all of this would just be in an alternate universe or something and aren't really canon to the main series. Because if the story isn't going to change from Yellow and Team Rocket's up to their old shenanigans, then that's the only thing that would make sense. Regardless of whether Red/Blue exist or not. (As Red was canonically the one to foil Team Rocket.)
I mean technially all the games can be canon thanks to this multiverse stuff.

Similar to how the I Choose You movie was a sort of reboot with alternate characters and events, this game is shaping up to be the same way, regardless, the PC's and rival are just a Red/Leaf/Blue from an alternate timeline I suppose you could say. To me they are still effectively those characters, especially if you can name the rival, because I will just be Red and just name him Blue and to me it won't be any different other than aesthetically.

Unpopular opinion, but I'm happy that they created Trace instead of just using Blue again since it helps separate the games from being a direct copy of Yellow. Also, Trace sounds like he'll be funny considering that he scares easily :p

I am curious if Red and Blue will be in the game in some form.

Unpopular opinion, but I'm happy that they created Trace instead of just using Blue again since it helps separate the games from being a direct copy of Yellow. Also, Trace sounds like he'll be funny considering that he scares easily :p

I am curious if Red and Blue will be in the game in some form.

I 100% doubt it, I think that part of the leak is absolutely false, a few reasons I don't think these are sequels and that Red and Blue won't be adults:

1. Brock would probably be retired or an Elite 4 member.

2. Oak would be retired or dead.

3. Team Rocket wouldn't exist, it would have to be Rainbow Rocket or some other team entirely, Rocket disbanded for good after GSC/HGSS, BW2 confirms this and so do references in other games like I believe XY and SM.

There's plenty more I could infer but these are just details we've been shown in the trailer.

Like I mentioned earlier, I think these are still essentially the same characters but in rebooted fashion, Trace is just an alternate universe Blue, etc.

I think LGPE must be of alternate universes and settings from core games though. And even different from GO.

Even though the male character in this game isn't clearly Red, he can be seen as the younger version of Red.
The original artworks for Red in Gen 1 games look more friendly than his later reworks.

Their names seem ridiculous: Trace and Chase?
They could be a part of a nursery rhyme with some additional words. Grace for the female MC?

I don't think Red and Blue will show up because Team Rocket were shown. Red killed them, so why would a new kid be fighting them? they showed up in Johto yes but that was three years later in a different region.

I'm going with the "Blue is too mean" thing.

I don't think Red and Blue will show up because Team Rocket were shown. Red killed them, so why would a new kid be fighting them? they showed up in Johto yes but that was three years later in a different region.
That happened in a different timeline. Do you think it makes sense for Red and Blue not to exist at all, or be transformed into very different characters (at least in Blue's case)? Why is that more plausible than tweaking their journey?

I don't really care because the story won't be good anyway (and Red and Blue will always be remembered for their original roles), but I don't see a reason to doubt the leak on this.

Red and blue can easily show up. They can just tweak TR out of Red’s journey, you have the same journey.

Not really. Where would Red get his final badge? Givanni closed the gym for probably years and only opened it for like 2 days in which Red and Blue fought there. Red can't have gone on his journey and become Champion is Giovanni isn't running the gym. I GUESS some random dude could be the GL (maybe even Blue?) but then that's a cop out lol

Not really. Where would Red get his final badge? Givanni closed the gym for probably years and only opened it for like 2 days in which Red and Blue fought there. Red can't have gone on his journey and become Champion is Giovanni isn't running the gym. I GUESS some random dude could be the GL (maybe even Blue?) but then that's a cop out lol
Giovanni’s gym was closed when you first enter viridian city, but it was ope before that and later after that. Giovanni wouldn’t be gym leader if he was never ever ever at his gym. And if you think about it, the gym was probably closed because he was off doing illegal activities, such as taking over Silph co. If he’s not off doing that, then why wouldn’t e be at his gym for red to challenge and defeat? Also don’t forget he had to be there before red go to the gym for Blue to get the badge. The games have only 8 gyms unlike the anime.

The first time I heard of these games it was with Red and Blue being supporting characters. They don't look like Red, Blue and Leaf to me so I think this a psuedo sequel.

The first time I heard of these games it was with Red and Blue being supporting characters. They don't look like Red, Blue and Leaf to me so I think this a psuedo sequel.

That was in a "leak", take it with a pinch of salt

@Muur there was a bunch of "leaks" but the games are real so one them has to be right. Speaking as someone who frequents vp that one was one of the earliest. I don't see the point of being so, nostalgia minded but then change the designs THAT much.

Last edited:
You know, this raises a rather interesting question of whether or not Red/Blue exist in the games at all. If Blue does exist, is he still the Champion, or some random NPC? What about Red?

I suppose one could argue that this is an alternate timeline of sorts, but even still. Red/Blue are pretty integral to the roots of Kanto I'd argue, so I'm curious if Game Freak just... didn't put them in at all.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom