• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The replacement of Red and Blue?

so I'm curious if Game Freak just... didn't put them in at all.
You mean pissed, and rightfully so. What would be worse is if they did include them only to make them look lame.

Best outcome: Red is the protagonist's older brother and Blue is Trace's (as arguably implied by the coloring of the houses). They had their badge quest about a year ago and experienced some of the original events (maybe the Game Corner and Pokemon Tower arc?), which will be replaced with new ones. Blue lost to Red in Indigo Plateau, so Red will be the Champion while Blue will do some soul searching before deciding to be a gym leader in the post-game.

You mean pissed, and rightfully so. What would be worse is if they did include them only to make them look lame.

ok fair point here -- I'd rather not have them than to have them included and Game Freak kind of screw them over in personality in some way. Not looking forward to Blue actually being super nice and friendly, as well... @_@

Best outcome: Red is the protagonist's older brother and Blue is Trace's (as arguably implied by the coloring of the houses). They had their badge quest about a year ago and experienced some of the original events (maybe the Game Corner and Pokemon Tower arc?), which will be replaced with new ones. Blue lost to Red in Indigo Plateau, so Red will be the Champion while Blue will do some soul searching before deciding to be a gym leader in the post-game.

This is something I'd like to see! Perhaps you'd bump into Blue along the way, maybe sporadically during the events of the main game and talk to you about how he used to be Champion and a Big Deal once upon a time, and then he'd talk a whole bunch of trash about how you're not ready to face him yet. Once you become Champion, you're approached by your brother Red and challenge him first to see how strong you've become over your journey before you're ready to really face Blue.

... That actually would genuinely be nice, as unlikely as that scenario would play out.

So you're saying that Blue would stay the Champion? Certainly possible given the original post-game, but it's no fun facing a defeated Champion (see Alder).

He could still antagonize the player while being sour about his loss and confused about his future.

So you're saying that Blue would stay the Champion? Certainly possible given the original post-game, but it's no fun facing a defeated Champion (see Alder).

Nah, he would be more like... kind of Red-status, I think, if that makes any sort of sense whatsoever. Basically, that post-game really challenging NPC that has Lv. 70-ish Pokemon.

Oh, I misread. Well, it would make more sense if Blue prepared the player to take on Red, perhaps out of jealousy which would then turn into actual respect for both the player and Red.

You know, this raises a rather interesting question of whether or not Red/Blue exist in the games at all. If Blue does exist, is he still the Champion, or some random NPC? What about Red?

I suppose one could argue that this is an alternate timeline of sorts, but even still. Red/Blue are pretty integral to the roots of Kanto I'd argue, so I'm curious if Game Freak just... didn't put them in at all.
Regarding about Red, the new male player character in LGPE could be the younger, alternate-universe version of Red. Red himself has so many counterparts even in adaptations (such as Ash in anime, and PokeSpe Red).

Seeing things from GameFreak's perspective, Trace is likely to be the champion.
It also reminds me of Hau (the extremely friendly rival like Trace) fulfilling the role of champion in USUM.

Personally, with all of the things I dislike about LGP/E, this is one of the things I actually was kind of pleased to see. I'm tired of Red being everywhere. These games are clearly taking place in some sort of alternate universe where Red (and Leaf, GF loves to forget about her, but I won't) are not the protagonists of the Kanto story. Having Red (because GF would not have Leaf show up, because they're lame) show up in this game would be a bit awkward. And not having Red is one of the most refreshing parts of this game, if you ask me.

It turns out that Trace refers to Oak as "Professor Oak", while Blue called him "Gramps". So there is no family relation and "friendly" Trace probably kicked the Oak family out of their house.

I wonder if Blue and Daisy live with their parents in this timeline.

Why are Team Rocket still in Kanto then?

Considering how much nostalgia and stuff they are going for in these games it would be surprising if both Red and Blue are completely missing from the games.

Didn 't the leak state " Red and Blue will play a role in the story". It would be nice to battle both of them during story or the postgame.

Unpopular opinion here: I'm glad they're getting replaced. It's one of the things about LGPE that actually pleases me because I dislike both of the overrated and overhyped characters. It seriously bothers me when the first of a group gets treated like royalty just for being first.

Besides, if this pair is really targeted towards the new GO crowd then what's wrong with a new player and rival? A veteran fan who's played through Red and Blue's early days as trainers isn't going to be part of the target demographic anyway.

Didn 't the leak state " Red and Blue will play a role in the story". It would be nice to battle both of them during story or the postgame.

That part of the rumor/leak was false. Red and Blue won't play a role in the story (Else we would have already known by now for hype purpose for the hardcore fanbase).

I don't think we already know the Girls name, do we. If we don't, then we can say: Chase is Reds older brother and the Girl is Daisy (This is more likely the case then the reverse, since we already know Gary and Daisy don't have a younger sibling).

Their names seem ridiculous: Trace and Chase?
They could be a part of a nursery rhyme with some additional words. Grace for the female MC?

Grace was the name of the Player's Mom in XY, so I don't think they'll be reusing it.

Besides, if this pair is really targeted towards the new GO crowd then what's wrong with a new player and rival? A veteran fan who's played through Red and Blue's early days as trainers isn't going to be part of the target demographic anyway.
Except Masuda claimed that LGPE were "for everyone" and the co-op feature was specifically for parents to help their kids. Replacing characters just because doesn't do kids any favors, and risks annoying a chunk of adult players who can actually afford $360.

Except Masuda claimed that LGPE were "for everyone" and the co-op feature was specifically for parents to help their kids. Replacing characters just because doesn't do kids any favors, and risks annoying a chunk of adult players who can actually afford $360.
I mean, if replacing the characters in that regard deters someone from buying this game, I think they were probably gonna buy it for the wrong reasons.

I mean, look at Trace. He's a friendly rival character. Because they insist on doing the friendly rival thing. And so, in doing that, they replaced Blue. Sure, they could've just reworked Blue's personality. But would that really still be Blue? As for Red, maybe they just wanted a friendlier looking character to play as, which again, Red doesn't really come off as "friendly."

And why do people need to somehow rationalize what these people are? They don't have to be relatives of red and blue. They don't have to be replacements. They're just the characters for this version of the story.

Endrant.

I mean, if replacing the characters in that regard deters someone from buying this game, I think they were probably gonna buy it for the wrong reasons.
These things add up. And the bottom line shouldn't be sales only, but also how the games are regarded.

I mean, look at Trace. He's a friendly rival character. Because they insist on doing the friendly rival thing. And so, in doing that, they replaced Blue.
If a friendly rival was that vital, they should have given Trace a completely new role (possibly as a girl) and kept Blue.

These things add up. And the bottom line shouldn't be sales only, but also how the games are regarded.

If a friendly rival was that vital, they should have given Trace a completely new role (possibly as a girl) and kept Blue.
Yes, I agree. The things do add up. In fact, I think they've added up to the point that I'm not buying this game. For me, however, it has nothing to do with the possible removal of Red and Blue.

And I don't think it's so much that they need a friendly rival, I think it's more they feel that they no longer want rivals that can be thought of as mean. Maybe they think that if they're mean we'll associate them with the evil team, idk. But of Blue was too rude for their new standards, it makes sense they had to replace him.

I really sound like I'm defending these games and their decisions, don't I? Haha that's not the case at all, actually. Just to be clear.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom