• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Rhythm Game Thread!

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
I just kind of thought about this because I was playing through Groove Coaster a bit ago, and am now playing Protect Diva... and I guess we don't have a rhythm game thread!

I really like rhythm games, off the top of my head I've played Project Diva, Taiko, Groove Coaster, Project Sekai, Bandori, Arcaea, Muse Dash, Deemo, and Cytoid!

My favorite out of all those is probably Project Diva? There's an arcade with it near me, but I need to go there more!! I usually perfect things in the 6.5~7.5 star range, but I've gotten clears at 8.5 stars before. Kimi no Taion is my favorite chart to play!

So... do you like rhythm games? Do you want to learn more about them? Are you way better than me? (I know one person who is!!!)

Rhythm games are the kind of games that I would imagine I would actually really enjoy — dancing, competitive play, and awesome music are all things that I love and it’s all in one genre!? — if only I were actually any good at them! Although surprisingly given that assessment and my theoretical interest in what rhythm games have to offer, I really don’t remember playing a lot of them in my past, if ever. Maybe it’s all of those quick-time events in other video games that I remember sucking at, because while I actually have pretty fast reflexes, having to use them on the spot — and often accompanied by repetitive button-mashing — is another story entirely. Perhaps that made me kind of averse to the idea that I’d enjoy having to do even more of that in rhythm games, even when I kind of want to enjoy it.

Actually, the only rhythm game that I remember ever playing is, of all things, a take on the genre from a non-rhythm game franchise — Puyo Puyo — called Puyo Puyo DA!, for the Dreamcast and NAOMI arcade. And not even because I was actually interested in the game itself, but because I liked the music (and not even the actual dance BGM, mind you, but rather the mostly unused menu and tutorial themes hidden on the disc, haha), and just decided “why not?” one day. It’s your basic “do as I show you” kind of rhythm game, if I remember correctly, so lots of quick controller button presses and memorizing involved there (on the Dreamcast version anyway; I have no clue how the arcade version worked). I wasn’t very good — at all — but then again, the game itself reportedly isn’t that good either, being mostly dismissed by the Puyo Puyo fandom (the gameplay, that is; they do mine it for fan art and meme material, though!). It definitely affirmed how terrible I believe I am with rhythm games, that’s for sure! But perhaps on another “why not” kind of day, I’ll try again with a more highly regarded entry in the genre; who knows? Maybe I’m better than I think I am, haha!

I'm playing Rock Band 3 Deluxe, which is a mod that allows people to play without instruments... Although that means some easy songs can turn hard and vice versa.

Now if only I knew where my mic was I could try vocals, and even then the difficulty is... a rollercoaster for me (can't 5-star Warmup/Tier 0 songs, but somehow I can 5-star Llama).

@prog rocker
Oh, I completely forgot about those kinds of games! Yeah, I do remember playing Guitar Hero back in the day with some of my family members, albeit in very casual play that didn’t even close to the insanity that later difficulty levels would present, haha. That said, I think that I would prefer something a bit more… involved for a rhythm game than just pressing buttons on a controller (even a large guitar one?). Like say, something you might find in an arcade. Think Dance Dance Revolution or something like that. Something more visceral, I guess you could say!

Oh man, I was big into rhythm games when I was younger, to the point where it kinda used to be my "thing" that I was known for... but I haven't seriously played any for ages now. I still love 'em, but now I just enjoy them casually or from a distance for the most part.

Off the top of my head, the ones I've poured the most hours into over the years are Guitar Hero, osu!, and Love Live! School Idol Festival. Out of everything, I'm probably best at LLSIF, since I was pretty dedicated to it during the μ's era and that muscle memory doesn't really leave you — I can still clear or FC most Expert songs, and I can sort of fight my way through clearing Master songs too lol. (Meanwhile, hardcore osu! was what gave me nerve damage in my left hand/wrist... which is what made me mostly stop playing rhythm games in the first place haha. Needless to say I don't touch that one anymore.)

Though more recently, I picked up Taiko on Switch and really enjoyed it! I also liked Project Mirai DX quite a lot back in the day; and Project Diva is fun too, but I've never really been able to get the hang of it on consoles. I imagine that playing it on an arcade machine makes it feel a bit more natural, but I've never seen one in person.

Actually, the only rhythm game that I remember ever playing is, of all things, a take on the genre from a non-rhythm game franchise — Puyo Puyo — called Puyo Puyo DA!, for the Dreamcast and NAOMI arcade.
I'm actually shocked to see DA! mentioned here?! I never see it brought up anywhere outside of the Puyo fanbase. Kudos to you for being one of the few people to actually play it though LOL.
I used to be a huge Puyo Puyo series nerd and DA! always kinda fascinated me in a way. As a game it's really nothing to write home about, but the music is nice and it has a lot of its own strange, unique charm.

I purchased Taiko Drum n Fun solely because Kirby was playable, and ended up loving the entire rest of the game as well. Completely unexpected, but pleasantly surprised. All of the music is so catchy and it's really easy for me to end up playing a couple more rounds than I intended. (And then some more after that, and so on and so forth.)

The only rhythm game I have played is Just Shapes & Beats. Definitely one of my top 5 games, especially with the continued support by the devs, community, and the story (plus the fact that The Forgotten Chapter even exists). Hopefully I'll start playing more rhythm games soon.

WAHOO A LISIA THREAD!!

I sat on this thread… A WHILE, and after the last con I went to, I have quite a bit to add to this thread. As I’ve stated elsewhere I’m pretty big on rhythm games in general, my very first gateway to them was buying an imported copy of Project Diva Extend for the PSP (I eventually purchased the first and 2nd too!) I began to play other rhythm games, but I shelled a sum of money I’d rather not admit on a Project Diva arcade board I can connect to my Playstation.

I still LOVE Project Diva, don’t get me wrong, but the controls both on my at home pad and on arcades tend to be fickle, I often have to mess with the calibration settings more than I like on arcade cabinets, so I’ve moved a bit away from the PD series for now.

There’s a lot more I wanna talk about… but that’s not what brought me here.

I came to talk about CHUNITHM.

You know, I never once considered buying one of those IC cards for arcade machines. I always told myself I didn’t go to places with online cabinets enough or didn’t visit enough to warrant them. Yet after my last excursion, I’ve suddenly found myself with an e-amusement IC card in an online shopping cart— I’m really in it now.

I had heard word of the game in the Bemani community, that after MaiMai’s reign, everyone had moved on to playing Chunithm. I never had the luxury of touching a Chunithm cabinet— until last Thursday. And well, I can now safely say I understand why the shift happened, why everyone has put Chunithm in the MaiMai shaped hole in their hearts. I too, have been converted. Friendship ENDED with MaiMai. Chunithm is my NEW best friend. (I JEST, I STILL LIKE MAIMAI BUT—)

The controls are simple, you tap and slide across a flat keyboard, and every now and again you have to hit “air notes”, detected by sensors on each side of the machine by lifting your hands in the air. Now, as I’ve gotten older, I’ve tended to move toward arcade cabinet rhythm games and mobile rhythm games over any you play on a console like Playstation or Switch— I have a weird tactile preference with these kinds of games that can only be fed by actually tapping notes with my fingers or some other gesture.

And this is why Chunithm was a match made in heaven— I’m in love with this game. Now the tragedy here is Chunithm cabinets are pretty rare in the US, and the ones that do exist are either offline or on private servers, as Sega hasn’t licensed the cabinets over to the west (yet?).

So I sit here, separated from my beloved Chunithm with NO idea when I’ll get to play it again… (My local arcade doesn’t have a machine.) Being a rhythm game enjoyer is pain.

Regardless, I recommend you guys try out Chunithm if you haven’t already and a convention in your area— or arcade, if you’re lucky, has a cabinet there. I can definitely understand why it’s the hit game to play right now,

Despite my reluctance, I may try to move back to rhythm games on non arcade cabinets just to curb the yearning. LOL.

Big Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan and Elite Beat Agents fan here! I've even cosplayed as one of the Agents and I'm currently working on an Ouendan cosplay as we speak.

I also used to play a lot of Guitar Hero and Rock Band with my siblings back in the day. Along with being a total DDR freak.

Last edited:
Is anyone playing or planning on playing Love Live! School Idol Festival 2? It just came out in Japan a few days ago. I'm going to wait for global, kind of bummed they didn't do a simultaneous worldwide release but eh. Hopefully global won't be too far off!

Is anyone playing or planning on playing Love Live! School Idol Festival 2? It just came out in Japan a few days ago. I'm going to wait for global, kind of bummed they didn't do a simultaneous worldwide release but eh. Hopefully global won't be too far off!
I am :bulbaWave:
I actually didn't even know that it was announced (or that SIF1 had already shut down) until literally yesterday hahah. I always really wanted to get back into SIF1 but just couldn't do it after such a long time and so many updates, so honestly this is kind of coming at a perfect time. Too bad I never got my old account transfer ID though... oops

I haven't played it just yet, but I'm going to try out the JP version for a while. And if I can't get the hang of it I'll just be patient for the global release lol.

Rhythm gamers, I come bearing bad news.

Rayark, the company behind well-known rhythm games such as Deemo and Cytus, have been discovered to be shifting their art direction to be heavily AI over artist. Take some info from the link I provided with a grain of salt, I’ve checked various sources and some pieces here and there don’t line up, such as Rayark supposedly firing their artists. However, this doesn’t change the fact they made some choice takes and still are hardcore pushing AI art over real artists’ work, and the proof is already there in the art they put out for the Arcaea collab.

As someone who has enjoyed Rayark’s games for more than a few years, this is tragic to learn, and I’m going to be uninstalling any games of theirs I have left on my phone. If you are also a fan of Rayark, what you choose to do with this new information of course is up to you, but I’m not giving them a cent personally.

Really unfortunate, can’t wait to see their revenue tank then!

NOOO THAT'S SOO LAME... (for a minute there i thought you said lowiro for arcaea and was even more sad) I have the PS Vita version of Deemo and Cytus for the Switch, so not on my phone or anything but that's sooo lame..

I have a Cytus alternative though! I actually have it on my phone and it's pretty fun, it's called Cytoid and there's community charts so I heavily recommend it—it's on Android and iOS, so go check it out if you want the same gameplay (and it's free)!

That's still REALLY unfortunate, hopefully they realize the error of their ways..

Also Kalpa is fun too check Kalpa out if you want!!

I've just recently played Cytoid, it is difficult, how the heck do you do it ;v

Taiko no tatsujin, Nerodtei (free from the jp app store) and Enstars are my current most played/favorites, but Bandori, Arcaea, D4DJ and plenty of others have a special place in my heart (and muscle memory)

D4DJ is pretty much a "dead" community and I'm not a fan of how fanservicey it gets, but it honestly has fun gameplay and really nice song choices, I've found out a lot of stuff (Milgram, YUKIKA, etc) from it.

PJSK, I personally feel like it's overhyped, with covers that have an amateurish, bitter and bland taste to it most of the time, and most of the community is er- uh-,, and counting that the maps aren't really to my taste. The art style they chose isn't really helping in my liking to it, and I feel that the characters are forgettable. I haven't played it in a while actually.....the stage concerts are amazing, on the other hand, and I really adore some of the costumes.

PJSK, I personally feel like it's overhyped, with covers that have an amateurish, bitter and bland taste to it most of the time, and most of the community is er- uh-,, and counting that the maps aren't really to my taste. The art style they chose isn't really helping in my liking to it, and I feel that the characters are forgettable.
FINALLY SOMEONE SAID IT

Back
Top Bottom