• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Right Man in the Wrong Place

White Len

Bloody Melt
Reaction score
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.
- G Man, Half Life 2

The world that you know is a lie. Just because they don't talk about it, it doesn't mean that it never happened. This story is about Red Ketchum’s rise to power, and his descent into insanity. And how one mute protagonist takes him down.

Another attempt at a journey fic, one which I will hopefully be able to finish. It spans most of Kanto, and if you're sharp, there is a lot of inspiration from Half Life 2. Don't mean to spoil anything, but a lot can happen in a year.

Chronologically, this takes place a year after the events of FRLG, and two years before HGSS. That's about all the information you need...hopefully.

[size=+1]Act One: Prologue[/size]

1.1: The Right Man

My name is John. John Stiles. And I...well...that’s just the thing. That’s all I know about myself. Well, perhaps not quite. You see, there’s one other detail, one that's rather...mmm...important.

“I haven’t seen my son in years...” the guy next to me sighs. He’s a rather average fellow, around thirty years of age I’d guess. Rather untelling of his age was the red baseball cap seated neatly atop his head of brown, not grey, hair. “He’s grown up so much...”

I wish I could respond to him. Unfortunately,

I’m mute.

“I’m glad that Silph has let me return to Kanto after so long, though. When they sent me on that business trip to Johto five years ago, I never thought I’d see my family again...”

I look outside. In the distance, I can see some kind of port, and a ship labeled the S.S. Anne docked. And then there’s the Indigo Plateau on the other side, a royal red building with gold accents. It really gives off the impression that the Pokemon League is some kind of palace, the centerpiece of a kingdom.

The Magnet Train wails as it enters another tunnel. The inside of the carriage darkens almost immediately, and the green scenery outside fades to blackness which eventually completely fills my sight.

I’m standing in the office at the very top of some kind of skyscraper. A dream? The floor seems very real. The lighting seems very real. The desk seems very real. But the brown haired boy at the desk doesn’t notice my presence. He’s feverishly rearranging the newspaper articles on his desk; all are related to a “Team Rocket”. Suddenly, his hand brushes against the red baseball cap on his desk, and it falls to the ground.

He bends down to pick it up. At that instant, our eyes make contact. My breath escapes me, as I stare into the empty grey beads that are his eyes.

I open my eyes. So it really was a dream. I look at the man seated next to me again. He is still going on about his son. Something about how he's champion and everything.

I look outside. The train has already emerged from the tunnel, and outside, I see the urbanized capital of the Kanto region: Saffron City. The buildings are a dulled yellow, and grey industrialization clouds the city. It's somehow depressing to see it in such a state.

“You are now arriving in Saffron City. Please do not move until the train has come to a complete halt. Thank you for riding the Silph Co. Magnet Train, and we hope to see you again soon.”

“Ah, this is my stop,” the man chuckles. Dude, the train travels between Saffron and Goldenrod; there is no other stop. “See you later.”

The train screeches as it comes to a halt. My body jerks forward, and I save my head from blunt trauma by reaching out my arms. They really needed to work on the train’s noise pollution.

The man gets up and heads towards the door, which slides open as he nears it. He waves at me a final time. I, too, get up and leave the train, but not without noting how empty it was. Thinking about it...that man and I were the only two in our carriage, weren’t we?

“Put your hands up,” I hear somebody say. Naturally curious, I turn in the direction. The man is surrounded by police officers. He had five standard issue Glocks pointed at him, and his hands were high in the air. The leader of the officers appeared to be the red haired one in the cape.

“Why am I under arrest?” the man asks, smiling.

“You’re under suspicion of being a Team Rocket member, Mr. Ketchum,” the red haired one answered. “If you would just cooperate with us, you will have a fair trial.”

So ‘Ketchum’ is his name.

“Fair enough, I have nothing to hide,” he smiles with confidence. “Lance, was it? How is my little champion doing with your guidance?”

Lance’s right eye twitches, as if not willing to answer.

“He’s doing well,” he lies. “If you will follow us, Mr. Ketchum, we can get the interrogation over and done with, and you’ll be able to see your son again soon.” Ketchum nods, and Lance leads him and his officers out of the station.

Not something you’d see everyday. Then again, with how my memory is, I’m not even sure what “everyday” means.

I exit the station without much resistance from the security guards. I can see it closer from here. The Silph Co. building, a lone skyscraper untouched by the buildings beside it, like a lance thrust through the membrane that is the crust of the earth. As I stare upon its absolutely breathtaking appearance, I realize that I lacked the knowledge of something very important.

Exactly what am I doing here?

“Were you on that train which left just awhile ago, kid?” somebody asks. I turn to look at the person. He’s some kind of police officer, judging from how round he was. The holstered sidearm and navy uniform were big hints too, I suppose, but it was mostly his similarities to a barrel and the doughnut in his hand that gave away his occupation.

Whatever the case, I nod in response to his question.

"Heh. Got you," the officer chuckles. I cock my head to the right, clueless. He bites off a huge chunk off the doughnut and raises his gun.

“Kid, you’re under arrest on suspicion of being a Team Rocket member.”​

If this gets enough reviews, I just might release a chapter about once every week. Otherwise it will be biweekly...probably. I'd like to know that there is some kind of an interest in a world where Red's paranoia of Team Rocket has gotten the better of him and the only one who can stop him is a similarly mute protagonist.

Last edited:
Ok... wow...

For a while there, I forgot that he was mute, you did a great job at portraying John's feelings and thoughts. I love the premise you've gone with; with Red becoming so paranoid of Team Rocket that he has his own father arrested, and this protagonist.

A few strange things I noticed:

The Johto games take place 3 years after the Kanto ones, and you made it 5 years.

The lightning seems very real.

I'm not sure if you meant "Lighting" or "Lightning", but it seems that you choose the wrong word, though I'm not sure...

But other than that. Great story you have here! Keep it up!

Thanks, Kyuuketsuki, those mistakes had completely eluded me while I was proofreading. And DD, you're too kind. Thanks anyway.

You have no idea how many times I had to rewrite this one. Everything felt too rushed, and although I don't believe I quite nailed it with this version, I feel that it is the best way to close off the first act. Hence...

1.2: Obligatory Exposition Chapter
So, this is kind of an awkward situation.

I can’t say anything.

The cop doesn’t seem to want to say anything. He sounds more busy with the chewing of his donut.

I can safely say that we’re not going anywhere any time soon.

click

“Drop the gun, officer,” a commanding voice...commands. I turn my head and see a caped man with red hair aiming a Desert Eagle at the officer. “I said drop the gun.”

“But, commander, he’s...” the cop begins to protest.

“Innocent,” the commander sharply cuts off. He looks kind of familiar. That...that Lance guy from earlier, right? “Now drop the gun.”

Reluctantly, the officer returns his gun to the holster.

“Continue with your patrol,” Lance orders. The officer scrambles off. He then turns back to me, an awkward smile on his face. “You were the one on the train with Mr. Ketchum, weren’t you?”

I nervously nod my head.That was partly due to the fact that the gun was now aimed at me.

“Oh, sorry,” he chuckles, pocketing it. “I apologize that the recruits these days are a little trigger happy. Doesn’t help that Red just declares everyone brought to him as guilty.” He looks up at the Silph Co. skyscraper. “Hey, follow me. I need to show you something.”

He takes out a Poke Ball and tosses it into the air. A Dragonite emerges from it, and Lance jumps on to its back. The Dragonite immediately starts flapping its incredibly disproportionate wings, and Lance motions for me to hop on.

I don’t think so. I mean, that thing doesn’t look like it could support itself, let alone me and Lance...

Despite my look of protest, Lance grabs me by the arm and forces me on board. Dragonite then takes off into the air...surprisingly.

My breathing stops.

It’s either due to how beautiful Kanto looks like from around 200 meters in the air

or the fact that we somehow covered a vertical distance of 200 meters in 5 seconds.

“John, there are two things that I want you to see...” Lance says. I look at him, surprised.

I never introduced myself to him.

“First of all, take a closer look at Kanto.”

I nod, and peer at Saffron City down below. I see the odd yellow and purple color scheme that the city has chosen to adopt. I see the Silph Co. skyscraper standing out from the buildings at a staggering 45 storeys like a lance thrust through the Earth’s crust.

I see officers aiming their guns at civilians.

I see oppression. I see abuse of power.

“Do you know why the policemen are so quick to arrest somebody?” Lance asks. I shake my head. “This is the way the police system works: for every guilty person you arrest, you get a payrise. At first, nobody knew, but word spread that the champion does not let any one get away with a not guilty verdict. Within one month, we had 45 arrests and 45 executions.”

Apparently, being part of Team Rocket is tantamount to serial killing.

“And here’s the other thing that I want you to see...” Lance pats Dragonite gently on the side of the head, and the orange beast swoops down towards the Silph Co. skyscraper. “Hang on tight.”

Believe me, I am.

The wind rushes past me as the skyscraper grows closer and closer. It’s exhilarating, and quite frankly, it was near impossible to resist the temptation to let go of Lance’s shoulders and just let the wind rush by.

After a hard-to-believe 4 seconds, Dragonite gently lands itself on the roof of the building. And by gently, I mean relatively gently, because upon the very rough landing, I was thrown off its back and sent rolling across the rough rooftop.

“I believe I told you to hang on,” Lance smiles, jumping off Dragonite and returning it to his Poke Ball. I merely shrug in response while I get on my feet and dust myself. “Follow me.”

Lance opens the door. Inside is a spiralling flight of steps, dimly light by a red light.

Lance enters without hesitation. I enter a little more cautiously, afraid of what could be in the corners. Our footsteps barely make a sound as we descend the spiral stairway, and not a word escapes from Lance’s mouth as he leads the way.

And here I was thinking he was the talkative type.

“Stop,” Lance commands.

I freeze. He sounded almost...threatening.

In front, Lance creaks open a door and exits the stairwell.

“Stay here,” he tells me in the same serious tone.

The door shuts, and I am left alone with the dim red light and whatever chooses to lurk in the corners. It’s almost frightening just imagining them creeping out towards me.

I feel a tingle down my right leg and slap it immediately.

Nothing. Dammit.

Hold on, I think I hear something.

Please don’t tell me it’s a...

Wait, no, that’s a voice. It’s coming from the other side of the door. Quickly, I press my ear to cold metal to listen to the conversation.

“...which is why, today, Red, there is only one person I wish to bring forth before you today,” somebody declares. Lance? Probably. “Guards, bring him in.”

I hear doors being thrown open.

Somebody gasps.

“Red...” a voice choked with happiness says.

A familiar voice.

That guy on the train?

“My...god...it’s good to see you...”

Definitely him.

“Mr. Ketchum, please, control yourself,” Lance orders rather forcefully. Dude, the guy just saw his son for the first time; cut him some slack. “Red, Mr. Ketchum has been arrested on suspicion of being a Team Rocket member. We have prepared a list of evidence against and for h...”

“It doesn’t matter!” an unfamiliar voice protests. Red? Well, I understand him wanting to skip the list of evidence to let his father off quick.

After all, he wouldn’t declare his own father guilty, would he?

“He’s guilty! They’re all guilty!”

“I believe it would be best if you had first viewed the list of evidence and arguments,” Lance argues. “It is only fair that Mr. Ketchum has a fair trial, even if the previous suspects didn’t even get a trial before yo...”

“Guilty!”

Silence.

Cold silence.

“...very well,” Lance exhales, as if giving in to a young child. “The execution will be carried out in two weeks. Guards, please take Mr. Ketchum to the Indigo Prison.” I hear somebody being dragged away, but not a sound from Mr. Ketchum.

He might have passed out.

Doors slam shut, and the resounding boom echoes through the cold walls of the Silph Co. building.

“It’s called the Indigo Plateau,” Red spits.

“It might as well be called a prison,” Lance retorts. “Red, that was your own father that you sentenced to death.”

“I don’t care!” Red yells. I hear his paced breathing, and his voice grows desperate. “We can’t let them come back, Lance. We can’t let them oppress the citizens again. Don’t you remember how it was like when Team Rocket was in charge?”

“I do, and I will tell you this much, Red.” Lance pauses to give Red a chance to let the next thought sink in.

“Other than the uniforms and the names, nothing has changed between now and last year.”

I hear footsteps, and back away from the door. The door opens and Lance walks right by me, proceeding to ascend the stairs. I quickly get up and follow him.

“I hope you got all that in,” he rasps. I struggle to keep up with his surprisingly fast pace. “I apologize for forcing you to see that, but it is important that you know the seriousness of this situation.”

Red’s a douche, yeah, I got that.

But there’s something bugging me.

Isn’t there an inconsistency? Something about Red that should not match up with what I know.

Lance opens the exit door, and once again, we are on the roof of Silph Corporation.

Lance calls out Dragonite and jumps on, not once turning around to face me.

Without waiting for him to motion to me, I jump on.

“There is a way to stop this, though,” Lance says as Dragonite takes off and flies away from Saffron City. Yellow and purple is replaced by forest green, and buildings are replaced by trees, but everything is just a blur, like an afterthought. “A way to take the power away from Red. A way to stop this madness”

I nod, anticipating the answer.

“A long time ago, somebody told me that the right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.”

I feel a light push.

Time seems to slow down.

Lance and Dragonite seem to go further and further away from me.

Wind speed seems to pick up.

I try to breathe.

I can’t.

I’m falling.

I’m falling from a height of 200 meters.

“Don’t disappoint me.”​

-end-​

I'm too used to writing in an episodic manner, so I will be writing things in acts. Each act would act (no pun intended) as an episode, to better help with my writing and it also helps making the arcs seem a little more obvious.

And yes, I know that I crossed the deadline by 3 days. My clock is set to Valve time.

I don't really have much to say, but it is interesting how you made Red's actions slightly mirror those of Team Rocket before him. Keep it up.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom