• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

"The Rise of Darkrai" DVD Review Thread

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
After airing on Cartoon Network a few months ago, the tenth movie, "The Rise of Darkrai," finally makes its way to DVD today!

dp01.jpg

So how is the DVD? What kind of extras are there?

You can find the DVD at
Amazon.com - $12.99
RightStuf - $17.98
Deep Discount - $13.52

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I heard ZIP, NADA, NOTHING.

Just the widescreen movie we saw on TV.

I'd only watch a movie on YouTube if it was my only option.

Hey, we finally get a widescreen (anamorphic, no less) DVD version of a Pokemon movie.

Now if we can just get them in HD...
Is it just me, or does "Living in the Shadow(s)" remind anyone else of "Taste It" by INXS?

Just me, huh? :lol:

Really disappointed on this release. Come on PUSA, give us something!

I'll probably pick it up eventually, but it is WAAAAY down there on the list

Man, looking at the DVD makes me appreciate how badly compressed Cartoon Network is on my cable. The video on the DVD is about 5 mbps, so the cable video must be about 3-4 mbps.

I got it, as well as the Orange Islands box set, today at Target. I was surprised: normally I can only find the Pokémon DVDs at Best Buy within the first few weeks of their release.

I was already aware of the lack of special features due to Pokébeach, but it's still dissapointing. Seriously: the fourth ANA short? A look at the trip scouting for locations? A look at the work behind the animation and music processes? A commentary? Anything? No, just English and Spanish sub-titles. Um, whoppee.

As for the movie itself: I still find it rather boring. *shrugs* It's good, but by no means the best. Why it gets so much love I'll never know.

I got to admit, I love Living in the Shadow. XD Didn't really care for the other song that played during the credits. Also didn't care about how the music just... stops at the end in the same way in did for Movie 9. It's not that big of a deal at all, but still.

As for the Orange Islands: I haven't watched them, but I was shocked to find that the DVD cases are the super-thin kind instead of the normal-sized cases we normally get for Pokémon box sets, leading to the set's sides' width to be less than an inch. My shelf space thanks you, Viz. Still wish it could have been four or five DVDs; the video quality is surely still horrible in this release, jsut based of the fact alone that it's 12 eps per disc. The cases' covers are rather boring: just images of Blastoise, Lapras, and Dragonite. Darn, I was hoping for team covers for Team Rocket, Tracey, and Misty (in that order). The back covers have some really cool images of an island at various points throughout the day, though. Also, the front cover would have looked so much better without Pidgeot.

EDIT: Okay, just popped the first disc into my computer to get a quick look. Judging by the fact that it contains a "preview" of Pokémon 4Ever, I'm guessing this is just a re-packaging of the individual discs (although the discs themselves are differnet, based off the use of the current Viz logo and the VizKids logo on the disc itself). And uh, wow, that main menu looks terrible. It looks like someone used Paint or something. o.o

EDIT 2: And just got a look at the menus for discs 2 and 3. Well, the menus are better at least. The picture quality of the episodes still sucks, though.

Last edited:
Well, since I taped "The Rise of Darkrai" when it aired on Cartoon Network, there isn't much of a reason for me to get the DVD.

Especially since there are no special features on it. *sigh* That's very disappointing indeed! :-(

I didn't know it came out today... I'm hoping to go to the Darkrai giveaway, so I'll get it there if I go. If not, I'll probably get it at Wal-Mart.

I got the Orange Island DVDs also, seems like Viz is going with Thinpacks now like ADV and Funimation.

Well, since I taped "The Rise of Darkrai" when it aired on Cartoon Network, there isn't much of a reason for me to get the DVD.

Especially since there are no special features on it. *sigh* That's very disappointing indeed! :-(

Wow same here. xD

I will say it every time.

I would have bought this if it had the Japanese audio track. Otherwise I'm not interested.

I got the Orange Island DVDs also, seems like Viz is going with Thinpacks now like ADV and Funimation.

Does Viz own Funimation or are they two separate dubbing companies? If the latter, than which one dubbed FMA again?

Last edited:
I would have bought this if it had the Japanese audio track. Otherwise I'm not interested.

I will never understand why people like you are completely uninterested in hearing something in their own language.

I don't know why I'm surprised there's not a scrap of additional content on the DVD.

And the first ending credit song reminds me of two or three other songs, so that's a little annoying to be hearing one song and in the back of my mind another is trying to fill in lyrics. It's a different song at least, I expected just a redux of the opening song. Now, the song AFTER the first credit song.

Oh my god why.

WHY.

Yanno, the movies always have either really crappy or completely irrelevant songs, of course that was during the hey-day and they could sell CDs of songs "inspired" by the movies (hey gang, who remembers "Blah, Blah, Blah"? Or "They Don't Understand"? If you think the songs have gotten worse, I'd like to direct your memories to those, among others, but those are as bad as it could, and dare I say ever, be that would directly mention Pokemon). I'm sure I still have those somewhere. Though I DO like some of the songs when they're on their own, because when I associate them with pokemon my brain kinda crushes in on itself and I'm guessing weren't inspired by the movies/pre-existing.

But this "Living in the Shadows" or whatever it's called just earned itself a spot on the list.

Hooray.

I will never understand why people like you are completely uninterested in hearing something in their own language.

QFT.

I don't get what's so bad about wanting the original language available as an option on an anime DVD.

It's an industry standard at this point. I don't care either way - I watch the dub and don't buy the DVDs - but it's a valid complaint.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom