• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Rocket trio's lack of screentime in Sun & Moon is honestly kind of appalling

How would the staff go about gauging fan demand for more Rocket appearances? Like with BW, where was the outcry mostly coming from? Messageboards? Twitter? I'd like to pitch in a request myself but I don't know how to say much more than "Rocket Dan ga daisuki".
Twitter, They've made a Twitter account for a reason. They even openly asked for people's impression of Sun & Moon after it ended.

How would the staff go about gauging fan demand for more Rocket appearances? Like with BW, where was the outcry mostly coming from? Messageboards? Twitter? I'd like to pitch in a request myself but I don't know how to say much more than "Rocket Dan ga daisuki".
Twitter, They've made a Twitter account for a reason. They even openly asked for people's impression of Sun & Moon after it ended.
The Twitter account is @anipoke_PR and we're switching to this thread to talk more about it, just so you don't miss it.

Seeing how they're doing in PM so far, I'm starting to think that Sun&Moon would have been a decent farewell for Team Rocket, them staying in Alola, running a business and working like normal folks, living in their base with Bewear, Stufful, Mareanie and Mimikyu, oh well.

...and the thread title should change to "The Rocket trio's lack of screentime in Pocket Monsters 2019 is honestly kind of appalling" lol, crazy how out of 7 episodes they have only appeared in 1! What's ratio % so far?

Seeing how they're doing in PM so far, I'm starting to think that Sun&Moon would have been a decent farewell for Team Rocket, them staying in Alola, running a business and working like normal folks, living in their base with Bewear, Stufful, Mareanie and Mimikyu, oh well.

...and the thread title should change to "The Rocket trio's lack of screentime in Pocket Monsters 2019 is honestly kind of appalling" lol, crazy how out of 7 episodes they have only appeared in 1! What's ratio % so far?

14,28%

Absolute Bollocks

Yes I think Sun Moon should have been the end

They were the best Rockets since long long ago

14,28%

Absolute Bollocks

Yes I think Sun Moon should have been the end

They were the best Rockets since long long ago

And now we got one of the worst. Their personalities are still in tact at least but they appear even less than XY and SM thus far, and don't appear to be getting any Pokemon to call their own. Just a bunch of random Pokemon that make their worst Pokemon(The BW drones) look appealing in comparison!

You know, when I saw their PM003 appearance I was less than thrilled...bad motto music, tiring motto animation, dumb gacha mechanic, lack of follow up with SM, but I also told myself I would give it a chance and see how it played out in future episodes....

....lol

Yeah...they should've been retired along with Ash at the end of SM. Ended on a high note.

I thought they kept them around to provide antagonism as needed as always. ESPECIALLY since travelling to old regions meant no other teams (and screw Team Yell).

...and then there's been NO antagonism at all so far! o_O
Sure, we hd the TRio in one episode, but that just it: one. Plus, it's not a good impression. It looks like they made the same boneheaded move they did in BW and are trying to make them tough & serious again when they were NEVER meant to be tough & serious. At least in early BW the excuse was that they were trying to make them a threat to Team Plasma before things went wrong. Plus, them apparently having different Pokemon each time doesn't sit well with me after how they bonded with almost all their others.
I know it's very early, but this does not bode well...<_<

here's the potential for other bad guys, but that's always iffy. For example, we have Space Dandy in SS07, but he'll either turn out not to be so bad, or never be heard from again.

Also...another issue about it to me is that the "bumbling bad guys" arcehtype just isn't used as much in anime as it was back then.
In fact....something I've been VERY curious about: are there other bumbling bad guys in animes I just don't know about, or are the TRio the last of their kind??? :unsure:
(and please don't say Pilaf-tachii in DB Super. They're not bad guys anymore, and they suck now. (I'd call them one of the worst things about DBS...but that's a crowded field :sick:))

there was The Alpha Gang from Dinosaur King... but that was years and years ago.

Anyone remember that?

That's what I was talking about. And to better clear things up, I meant current/modern anime. I'm well aware of other "bumbling bad guys" of animes past (even met some). Heck, back in the day some folks thought they were TR knock-offs, but really ALL of them were just doing the same thing since, what, the early 80s? Late 70s?

But I just don't see any "bumbling bad guys" in today's anime. Unless, of course, they are some out there I just haven't heard about lately. That's what I'm asking.
Shoot, sometimes I wonder if part of the reason the TRio became serious in early BW was because the bumbling bad guys archetype was less used in 2010, and now it's feels like it's barely a thing at all...:confused_emoji:
Which is pretty ironic and a bit hypocritical when you look at all the old anime character types still around that are just as old or older (even if they've been trying (though not always succeeding) to mix things up some lately)

Though the point is I think part of the TRio's problem is that they're part of an character-type no one seems to use anymore. Heck, part of the reason they were so good in SM was because they tried to shake the shackles of that archetype to be better characters in general...

Last edited:
Well, let's see, ummm...

there was The Alpha Gang from Dinosaur King... but that was years and years ago.

Anyone remember that?
I used to watch that along with Pokémon when I was younger and you brought back so many fond memories... They did remind me of Team Rocket a lot.
Dinosaur King also inspired me to go get a Dinosaur Encyclopedia...

Also...another issue about it to me is that the "bumbling bad guys" arcehtype just isn't used as much in anime as it was back then.
In fact....something I've been VERY curious about: are there other bumbling bad guys in animes I just don't know about, or are the TRio the last of their kind??? :unsure:
Many Precure villains are like that, especially ones that comes as trios.

Sun&Moon was probably the saga I most enjoyed TRio in for a long time. TR’s seiyuu made that plea for more support for them, foreshadowing how little involvement they would have with the beginning of the series. I don’t mind, to think there was a time were people complained about TR interrupting every single episode with some nonsense now we’re at a point where that’s a nonissue. I personally was okay with their handling in SM in terms of appearances, only appearing when they had a plot centered around them and many episodes doing their own thing like getting Z-Crystals or helping their Pokémon with minimal Satoshi involvement. Still I’ll take what we get now over their phoned in appearances OS-DP and XY.

Sucks for TRio’s seiyuu but I feel like appearances just for the sake of it don’t do the characters or writing any justice. I’ll support more Rocket appearances if there’s something worthwhile to add and definitely not episodic blastoff confrontations as telegraphed as the Fushigisou one. I also wonder if their lower amount of appearances is meant to say it would be pretty not worthwhile to get long-standing captures. If they want more TRio tell the writers to innovate with them, give them storylines and character dynamics and work with that.

That's what I was talking about. And to better clear things up, I meant current/modern anime. I'm well aware of other "bumbling bad guys" of animes past (even met some). Heck, back in the day some folks thought they were TR knock-offs, but really ALL of them were just doing the same thing since, what, the early 80s? Late 70s?
Actually, they (along with Jessie, James and Meowth) were Dorombo Gang (the villains from Yatterman) expies. From modern anime, the most recent ones I recall were from the Time Bokan... reboot? Sequel? But I don't think that counts since the "villain trio" archetype debuted in the original Time Bokan (1975).

EDIT: Other villain trios I remember (although they aren't exactly recent) are the one from Flint the Time Detective, the one from Mon Colle Knights (which was a gender-inverted trio), the one from Medabots (although they were literally only schoolyard bullies) and I think there was one in the original Fossil Fighters game for DS, although that last one might be a parody seeing how FF was more or less a parody of mon games.

Last edited:
Actually, they (along with Jessie, James and Meowth) were Dorombo Gang (the villains from Yatterman) expies.
And Doronbo gang, in turn, were expies of...
images (3).jpeg

Well boys 2 out of 8 a 25% WOW

One of the aspects im worried about is the fact that without having a Pokemon of they own they will not have a episode about them, the TR episodes are always good I defy anyone to search for a bad TRio episode (Not counting the Delibird one in Johto that one is terrible)

For example Sun and Moon despite its flaws still had 13-14 Team Rocket centered episodes, XY had 8 TRio episodes

I dont know how an episode for them will work in this series....

Another aspect im reading in other sites is that they're absence is good cause it breaks the traditional "Filler formula" Im sorry to say that the filler formula have been dead since BW recovered a little in XY and died again in SM dont come at me with this theory cause its not true

In “Pokemon journeys” the Team Rocket TRio/quartet only appears in the fillers episodes and we often have 4 weeks without seeing them. I was hoping that the capture of Morpeko would bring some development but 2 months have passed since its last appearance and …. nothing ... They no longer seem to have any importance for the current writers…

I'm watching XY again on “ Amazon Prime” and in this series they appeared more often than in BW but they were often OOC , some episodes were perfect but in others they behaved too insensitive (“The tiny caretaker” for example) and weren't really themselves but more like their BW selves…

In “Sun and Moon” they had a real role in the series: a z-ring, interactions with other characters, really memorable pokemon, there was a nice improvement in their treatment compared to the 2 previous series.

In “Pokemon Journeys” they just seem to be there with 20 seconds /5-6 minutes of appearance all the 4/5 episodes for nothing important … TT_TT
WHY?!!!

It's a shame to treat these iconic characters so badly now…

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom