• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Rocket trio's lack of screentime in Sun & Moon is honestly kind of appalling

I have never felt so stressed about TR being gone for a MONTH.

I can handle one episode without them, maybe two, and even three. But four episodes *consecutively* is just ridiculous!

TR doesn't need to be in every episode though. If they appear in every single episode, they just become more boring and lose their charm. The problem with this series is that they aren't showing enough of their charm. They've been absent in 15 out of 31 episodes, which is worst than what BW did in its first 30 episodes. If they appeared atleast 75% of the time, I would be satisfied.

All of these just tell one very simple message:
TRio is not as important as the fans deemed. More correctly speaking, TRio is not that important from the view of current storyboard staffs compared to how it was deemed by its creator Shudo Takeshi.

TRio is not that important from the view of current storyboard staffs compared to how it was deemed by its creator Shudo Takeshi.
This is news to exactly no one.

As to how important they are considered in Matsui's story compared to Tomioka's, regardless of this current hiatus, I think it is still too early to say. Consensus seems to be that even if they are appearing less frequently, their contributions and characterisation in SM so far have been better than the previous 1/2/3 series. By the end of this year I expect to have a clearer understanding of the trajectory of all the characters in this series including the TRio (even if that is to say that they have no trajectory).

I love the Rocket trio as much as the next guy, but I will honestly say that I don't mind them being absent for a few episodes. If you can't find an episode for the Rocket trio to be in, great, don't include them, next time better.

I will say, I have the polar opposite with Sun & Moon. I didn't have that problem as much with Best Wishes! because they became pretty boring but in Sun and Moon, their character is still in tact, they're still there. The problem is, I find Sun and Moon horrifying to watch because it is so dependent on comedy and it baffles me they're not even there most of the time. I don't find the characters endearing and lovable that provide the comedy because it feels really unnatural. The only times I will watch Sun and Moon is when the trio appear.

Does that mean I only watch the show because of them? No, but it's irritating and unnatural for a comedic heavy series not to include the rocket trio as much as they should.

I love the Rocket trio as much as the next guy, but I will honestly say that I don't mind them being absent for a few episodes. If you can't find an episode for the Rocket trio to be in, great, don't include them, next time better.

I will say, I have the polar opposite with Sun & Moon. I didn't have that problem as much with Best Wishes! because they became pretty boring but in Sun and Moon, their character is still in tact, they're still there. The problem is, I find Sun and Moon horrifying to watch because it is so dependent on comedy and it baffles me they're not even there most of the time. I don't find the characters endearing and lovable that provide the comedy because it feels really unnatural. The only times I will watch Sun and Moon is when the trio appear.

Does that mean I only watch the show because of them? No, but it's irritating and unnatural for a comedic heavy series not to include the rocket trio as much as they should.
i agree I just them being absent. It is not genre of comedy and tbh pokémon isnt about comedy but about traveling together and make fun. And the traveling part I miss much.

Well, they will appear in SM033, so the fact that Ash and co. are on a completely different island (unless told otherwise), has got nothing to do with their four episode absence. So maybe the writers just didn't feel like they were suited to appear in SM029, SM030, SM031 and SM032.

Based on how good the internal continuity of SM has been so far, I'm hoping we are told otherwise! After all, their absence/inactivity has already (at least) once been explained by the Kiteruguma hostage situation.

Kiteruguma was a great addiction to the team. To be fair I was a little tired of the blasting off. Hope OLM continues with those changes for future sagas.

So they seem to be pulling a BW here? Trio had 4 months of absence, remember? Meanwhile, other than all two-parters featuring them, it would be 5 seconds worth of screentime. Wonder if it's another try to write them out?

So they seem to be pulling a BW here? Trio had 4 months of absence, remember? Meanwhile, other than all two-parters featuring them, it would be 5 seconds worth of screentime. Wonder if it's another try to write them out?
I don't think so...
Even in BW, was all that nonsense really pulled with the intention of writing them out? My understanding of the fake-out was that it was a last ditch marketing ploy and that the subtext was that serious TRio were dead.

ii kanji said:
Dogasu said:
There's zero guarantee they'll be in the Yowashi episode either.

If anything, I'd say it's almost guaranteed at this point that they won't.

I'm so glad we were both wrong! :)

ii kanji said:
Even in BW, was all that nonsense really pulled with the intention of writing them out? My understanding of the fake-out was that it was a last ditch marketing ploy and that the subtext was that serious TRio were dead.

...maybe? The TV staff knew that fans hated the BW trio but then when they returned four months later for Episode N they hadn't really changed. The fake-out didn't really do jack.

I guess the writers just can't figure out what to do with them. They don't want them to be overused like many accused them of in AG and DP, but they don't want them to be bland villains either. I think writing them out is out of the question at this point – they're as iconic to the series as Ash and Pikachu themselves. Even Brock was temporarily replaced in the Orange Islands arc before his official departure post-DP.

I feel like BW was an initial try to maybe write them off. To give a fresh look, lots of things were changed, such as Satoshi's eyes and the over colorful backgrounds.

While I can't say for sure, it seemed to me the writers were doing the hardest to keep Trio as your average evil team instead of reverting them back to comic-relief. After all, two deceptions, right? I remember people were sure they'd be funny when Kojirou got Desumasu (it appeared so), however some episodes later Trio was serious again. Then Episode N, a mix of cool and funny that didn't work out... To a full return in Decolora (the only aspect of the season that I liked, to be sincere).

Idk, for me it could be an end for them, even if only temporary. The huge fanbase made OLM keep Rocket-dan, though.

One thing I appreciate about Team Rocket's presence is that they constitute as regular adult characters on the series - while there's obviously that childhood idealism that acts as a great escapist method when life gets stressful, it's not easy for me to readily relate to ten year olds as much as it was when I was their age. So I do think the TRio might have a thriving adult fanbase, (not to suggest that kids don't enjoy their characters), who would miss them. It also acts as a parallel to the childhood idealism of the gang sometimes - you have shades of adult realism with the TRio due to layers of unpleasant childhood memories, failed ambitions and societal expectations. Also, the comedy is fun too.

I hope to see more reflection on their lives in Sun and Moon - it's interesting to watch adults navigate through the pokemon world.

...maybe? The TV staff knew that fans hated the BW trio but then when they returned four months later for Episode N they hadn't really changed. The fake-out didn't really do jack.
It did do one thing - set out the intention to take them back to their old human selves, which they gradually relaxed into from then till now.
I don't think they care about what the fans think.
Is the journey of the Rockets through BW not enough of an example that this is untrue?
I hope to see more reflection on their lives in Sun and Moon - it's interesting to watch adults navigate through the pokemon world.
Same here! It's been way too long since we had much genuine exposition of the depth of their characters. The attempts in XY were long overdue but didn't feel as sincere to me (except maybe, weirdly enough, in that broken stick episode) as those from the pre-BW era.

It did do one thing - set out the intention to take them back to their old human selves, which they gradually relaxed into from then till now.

Is the journey of the Rockets through BW not enough of an example that this is untrue?

Same here! It's been way too long since we had much genuine exposition of the depth of their characters. The attempts in XY were long overdue but didn't feel as sincere to me (except maybe, weirdly enough, in that broken stick episode) as those from the pre-BW era.

These are the same guys that made Ash lose to Cameron.

I think TRio is the best part of SM- they're so...classic.Particularly I mean Jessie. I couldn't stand her when she became artist/coordinator- now I reallly appreciate her- in Alola she finally reminds Jessie from OS or early AG, i think.
James, Meowth and Wobbuffet are as good as always.
Personally i can't imagine the show without TRio- I would love to learn more about their life, especially James ( his parents, Jessiebelle, childhood, etc.)

The battle with Kotetsu seemed like a try to recreate that awful Kanto scenario where Satoshi loses only because Lizardon didn't want to battle. Although not as bad, it's funny how he was defeated in a ridiculous way again.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom