• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Rocket trio's lack of screentime in Sun & Moon is honestly kind of appalling

Isn't that better than them appearing every single episode to do the exact same thing over and over and becoming plot devices?
In Sun and Moon, they haven't been catching Pikachu that much tbh. I like the episodes focusing around Team Rocket and they could do more. The writers are going in a good direction with Team Rocket right now. Tbh even the episodes catching Pikachu are funny and great because of Mimikyu.

In Sun and Moon, they haven't been catching Pikachu that much tbh. I like the episodes focusing around Team Rocket and they could do more. The writers are going in a good direction with Team Rocket right now. Tbh even the episodes catching Pikachu are funny and great because of Mimikyu.

Yes. But that's because they don't appear every single episode like Dogasu wants.

Yes. But that's because they don't appear every single episode like Dogasu wants.
Well I wouldn't want them in every episode but I don't see harm in them appearing in the majority. They are good characters and have good personalities.

I certainly hope their lack of screentime is just the result of mainly two things: 1) The big size of the main cast (Satoshi's companions) this series and 2) The decision of giving them better, smarter and more relevant plotlines in exchange of them appearing less. That being said, it's kind of frustrating how there was an arc where they played major roles just recently and now they won't show up in the next two episodes...

I hope the situation is improved by the next generation (where the writers hopefully won't give Satoshi five companions just to have like half of them don't do much most of the time). As in they appearing more, don't need them in every episode (or do I?)

inb4 they're written out at the end of Sun & Moon :eek:

I certainly hope their lack of screentime is just the result of mainly two things: 1) The big size of the main cast (Satoshi's companions) this series and 2) The decision of giving them better, smarter and more relevant plotlines in exchange of them appearing less. That being said, it's kind of frustrating how there was an arc where they played major roles just recently and now they won't show up in the next two episodes...

I hope the situation is improved by the next generation (where the writers hopefully won't give Satoshi five companions just to have like half of them don't do much most of the time). As in they appearing more, don't need them in every episode (or do I?)

inb4 they're written out at the end of Sun & Moon :eek:
In reply to your spoiler, I hope not!! :(
I also agree with your comments about the number of protagonists but the TRio have had much better episodes in SM, and because it isn't them being evil all the time, I just want to see more!

So far I've honestly enjoyed TRio's treatment so far this series (outside of being absent so frequently) because even though they appear less often, they've gotten more development than any other series minus BW and are more than just static characters that exist to start conflict. This can be proven given the large amount of focus episodes they've gotten so far this series.

Plus, with Rainbow Rocket subtly hinted back in SM074 it's not unlikely for a major role later on ;)

SinnohEevee said:
Isn't that better than them appearing every single episode to do the exact same thing over and over and becoming plot devices?

Well I never found the Rocket trio to be doing the same thing over and over or being nothing but plot devices so I disagree with the very premise of your question.

I'm perfectly OK with them not appearing in every single episode, actually. But they should at least appear in 85% - 90% of them. The 60% we're at now just isn't good enough.

Well I never found the Rocket trio to be doing the same thing over and over or being nothing but plot devices so I disagree with the very premise of your question.
I've never, ever understood this position. Particularly prior to their BW personality redact (back when they were guaranteed to appear every week...), they added value consistently - whether it was some indispensable role in the plot or, more often, a bit of genuine humour, style or absurdity.

I've never, ever understood this position. Particularly prior to their BW personality redact (back when they were guaranteed to appear every week...), they added value consistently - whether it was some indispensable role in the plot or, more often, a bit of genuine humour, style or absurdity.
While I love and loved the TRio, and even think they were the highlight to a lot of otherwise mediocre episodes, they were pretty much plot devices for a significant amount of them. They would often just appear to create conflict and get their butt kicked in every way one could imagine.

This had more to do with the general structure of filler episodes being super formulaic prior to SM. And I absolutely get how people could get tired of them because they would just be there to do the same thing almost every episode, which was interrupting whatever was going on, serving as an excuse to put at least an incredibly mediocre battle every episode. They did this in different and creative ways, and that's why I don't dislike the TRio itself and more the repetitive story structure that had them as mere punching bags for most of their appearances.

What I would love, though, is having something like we do now, where they appear and serve multiple roles (like in the AF arc, or the Battle Royale episode, for example), but even when they don't have an antagonist role or else, having them in the background doing their own thing.

What I would love, though, is having something like we do now, where they appear and serve multiple roles (like in the AF arc, or the Battle Royale episode, for example), but even when they don't have an antagonist role or else, having them in the background doing their own thing.
This is all well and good (and don't get me wrong I've loved their characterisation and independence in SM), but the drawback is that they are then totally separate entities from the main cast/story, and in that way you can question why they are even there. Some balance is needed, and they are after there primarily in an antagonistic role! If they were around a bit more, they might actually get to do that! If I were a kid watching the show now, I'm not sure I'd have a good idea who or what the TRio are to Satoshi.

This is all well and good (and don't get me wrong I've loved their characterisation and independence in SM), but the drawback is that they are then totally separate entities from the main cast/story, and in that way you can question why they are even there. Some balance is needed, and they are after there primarily in an antagonistic role! If they were around a bit more, they might actually get to do that! If I were a kid watching the show now, I'm not sure I'd have a good idea who or what the TRio are to Satoshi.
I totally agree with you. Tbh other than trying to catch Pikachu and their character development, there is really nothing they can do.

I mean does anyone have any suggestions on how they could improve? :p Tbh, you can use the same argument for Ash - he's so predictable, why don't we get rid of him? He's the main character so they won't. But in my view so are the TRio, so I would be astounded if they did.

It just makes their appearances that much more memorable and impactful.
I like that they're not constantly showing up and causing The Problem Of The Week, since why they pop up, they're much more threatening.
They BEAT Ash early on, and Mimikyu had Pikachu thrashed before it accidentally helped Pikachu learn Electroweb, which (somehow) nullified a Z-Move in its entirety

That's another downside of not having Contests (and I guess Performances too) any more, they were a great way to get Musashi, and by extension the rest of the trio, involved that mixed things up a bit. Especially in Diamond&Pearl where she was more of a rival to Hikari.

Which also highlights how much of a missed opportunity it is to not have them interact with Satoshi's friends like they used to! Musashi had some great moments with Kasumi, Haruka, and Hikari but not really much since. Someone on Twitter suggested Kojiro could have had a nice relationship with Lilie since they both had overbearing mothers, but it looks like that's not gonna happen. Having these connections makes the more typical Rocket attacks seem even more engaging, because you know there's a fun dynamic.

I mean does anyone have any suggestions on how they could improve?
I don't think that anything even midly groundbreaking is needed. They have had plenty of variety over 20 years, so a little bit of everything would just help flesh their appearances out more - a percentage of "standard" antagonistic appearances are vital, likewise a proportion of them doing other work/domesticity, then individual and intra-team relationship development, involvement with a sidequest (like contests or Pokeringer) and the odd everyone-gets-separated-and-has-to-work-with-their-enemies episode is much missed for allowing them to interact with the protags.
Musashi had some great moments with Kasumi, Haruka, and Hikari but not really much since.
Whilst XY Rockets were a little insipid and uninspiring, they did manage to have a range of moments with the companions - Musashi/Serena is the most substantial, but Nyasu and Eureka had a couple of episodes together and Kojirou had some interesting moments with Serena (in the broken stick episode) and Citron (on the engineering front).

I don't think that anything even midly groundbreaking is needed. They have had plenty of variety over 20 years, so a little bit of everything would just help flesh their appearances out more - a percentage of "standard" antagonistic appearances are vital, likewise a proportion of them doing other work/domesticity, then individual and intra-team relationship development, involvement with a sidequest (like contests or Pokeringer) and the odd everyone-gets-separated-and-has-to-work-with-their-enemies episode is much missed for allowing them to interact with the protags.
Yeah, I was commenting on the fact that no improvement is needed (I was being sarcastic :p) and I totally agree with you. Their character development and funniness when capturing Pikachu or interacting with the gang are enough and they are quality characters and it would be devastating to get rid of them. The fact that the writers are listening and actually doing lots of character development for them is really good I feel and I've enjoyed their episodes.

Whilst XY Rockets were a little insipid and uninspiring, they did manage to have a range of moments with the companions - Musashi/Serena is the most substantial, but Nyasu and Eureka had a couple of episodes together and Kojirou had some interesting moments with Serena (in the broken stick episode) and Citron (on the engineering front).
To be honest, my favourite moments are when Jessie is in Contests/Showcases. It really shows off the quirkiness and lovability of Team Rocket.

I just realized...

The Rocket trio hasn't appeared in a single episode in June 2018 (SM078-080).

They also didn't appear in a single episode in June 2017 (SM029-32). They missed most of July as well.

These Rocket-less summers aren't any fun :(

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom