• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Role of Luck/RNG in the Game

Reaction score
One of the major aspects that sets Pokémon apart from other competitive games and e-sports is the heavy influence of luck-based mechanics (or Random Number Generation). Move inaccuracy, critical hits, added percentage-based effects, damage rolls, and certain status effects are just some forms in which RNG can appear. Of course, we've all experienced the infamous "hax" at some point as well, and know just how it can feel when you are both on the receiving and dealing end of it. Some measures players use to reduce the influence of hax is prioritizing speed to act before any misfortunate has a chance to occur, avoiding high-risk situations whenever possible, and playing best-of-3 (or more) sets. Other players feel that the advantages that luck-based strategies/plays offer (such as a greater power-to-accuracy ratio) outweigh the possible disadvantages to using them. In any case, it's evident that RNG has a significant presence in the games.

So what are your opinions on luck in Pokémon? What do you think are ways to account for or reduce the influence of luck? To what extent are you willing to take risks when dealing with a potential luck-based situation? Do you prefer to always play as safe as possible or perhaps take advantage of the luck factor of the game? Do you think anything should be changed with the way luck is handled?

I feel like Hearthstone proved that games with random effects (cough every shaman card) can be viable as eSports, but Nintendo/GF are not really willing to put in the effort to balance their own meta game or put their competitive circuits into the spotlight. Even Pokkén, which seemed like it might get a lot of dev support, quickly fell into the shadows because Nintendo and GF refused to push it hard, even though they put in a substantial prize pot.

On the subject of how I feel about randomness in Pokemon outside the eSports thing, I've gotten used to it. Sometimes you HAVE to run Fire Blast over flamethrower to pick up certain OHKOs or 2HKOs, sometimes you NEED focus blast or stone edge as a coverage move. C'est la vie, I've gotten used to it. But I do love hitting the ladder with a nice Sand Veil team from time to time just to troll people who haven't accepted RNGeezus as the 1 true God yet

Well, for me the outcome of battles can often be based on pure luck, for instance the accuracy and priority system can be a bit flawed at times.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom