• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The role of the ultra beasts (spoilers)

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
Reaction score
Well, for recap of the last games.

Ultra Beasts in the last games were extra-dimensional Pokemon, forced out of their original habitat by the obsessive Aether Foudation leader, Lusamine. At first, they look to be super dangerous lifeforms, based off of incredible extremes of nature, that are seeking world domination, with all their aggressive observations around people. But in reality, they were displaced from their own dimension without their consent, and thus they target anyone and anything with an aura from entering an ultra space 'wormhole,' in hopes that they may get sent back home.

I.e.: They were homesick aliens with communication problems.

Now, given how where getting and alternative 'ultra' timeline, what role do you think the ultra beasts will have in the plot? Could they also change forms as well?

One out-liar I find of all the beasts was Guzzlord. They called it among the most dangerous of the ultrabeasts, and yet it is not good at all in terms of Pokemon battling, getting threatened to move all the way down to Smogon's PU tier - which is even below Neverused. This makes me wonder if there might be an enhanced form for this glutton coming soon...

I definitely want UBs to be a bigger role in the story in USUM. Their use in SM was pretty much crap--shoving them all into the post-game except for Nihilego. I think every UB should appear in the main story, including a totem-style boss battle with each of them in the main story. Guzzlord receiving a new form sounds promising.

I think that USUM will diverge from the plot of SM in a way that truly deserves the title of "alternate story". Mainly, I think that instead of trying to go to the Ultra Beasts themselves, Lusamine will draw the Ultra Beasts to Alola by doing something that douses the environment in Ultra-wormhole energy/Z-power. From there, we could fight various Ultra Beasts throughout the game.

With Ultra Space getting it's expansion it's likely for Ultra Beast will get a bigger role in the game, at least it's better than catching the Ultra Beast in the Post-game.

My guess is that the Ultra universe hasn't been caught up in Lusamine's UB plot because it's another universe where everything is the same but this Lusamine never lost Mohn and they're actually working together in the UB research.

The plot will probably change where the Player helps Lusamine and Mohn in their research on the UBs. Eventually coming across a Cosmoem that ends up corrupted some how and turns into Necrozma which then calls all the other ultra beasts or just opens the worm hole by itself. Kicking off the main plot of the game...fight all the UBs. They take the place of the Aether part of the original games since Ultra!Aether is still uncorrupted.

Also because Ultra!Mohn never got Faller'd, Lillie has a Vulpix instead of a Cosmog. Tying it in with the anime.

The UB will definitely be the stars of USUM and they'll probably get new forms akin to the Mascots.

Speaking of Ultra Beasts and Ultra Space being more prominent, you know how w'eve been given Alolan variants? I wonder if USUM could give us Ultra Space variants. Let's think about this for a second.

If the Ultra Wormhole Energy portals powers-up the native inhabitants of Ultra Space and makes humans become Fallers, then what sort of effect would Ultra Space have on non-Ultra Beast Pokémon having to adapt there? Would they themselves become Ultra Beasts, or would they just take on certain traits of the Ultra Beasts? Personally, I think the concept of Ultra variants would make for some interesting designs and maybe an engaging plot point. Heck, maybe the mascots of USUM have something to do with Ultra variants!

Last edited:
Speaking of Ultra Beasts and Ultra Space being more prominent, you know how w'eve been given Alolan variants? I wonder if USUM could give us Ultra Space variants. Let's think about this for a second.

If the Ultra Wormhole Energy portals powers-up the native inhabitants of Ultra Space and makes humans become Fallers, then what sort of effect would Ultra Space have on non-Ultra Beast Pokémon having to adapt there? Would they themselves become Ultra Beasts, or would they just take on certain traits of the Ultra Beasts? Personally, I think the concept of Ultra variants would make for some interesting designs and maybe an engaging plot point. Heck, maybe the mascots of USUM have something to do with Ultra variants!
Ultra Variants sounds nice, it'll be exclusively in Ultra Space along with the Ultra Beast.

Ultra Variants sounds nice, it'll be exclusively in Ultra Space along with the Ultra Beast.
Not only that, but I have a feeling that the potential new Lycanroc Form is going to end up being an Ultra Variant. I do wonder what types of Ultra Variants we would get though. We could get so many wacky designs.

Also, do you think that some of the base stat changes will end up escalating to prime numbers like the Ultra Beasts?

Not only that, but I have a feeling that the potential new Lycanroc Form is going to end up being an Ultra Variant. I do wonder what types of Ultra Variants we would get though. We could get so many wacky designs.

Also, do you think that some of the base stat changes will end up escalating to prime numbers like the Ultra Beasts?
As long it has some Stat boosts like the Ultra Beast, Totem Pokemon, and Lusamine's Team (even though, she fused with Nihielgo to get stat boost for her team). As for Lycanroc Form we probably going to get two forms in USUM like how Lycanroc got two forms depending on the day/night cycle.

I think all we'll get is some sort of stat re arrangement like with Lycanroc Midday and midnight. Hope that it gets a secondary type, and some useful moves.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom