• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Round Table

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement:

Due to some feedback we've received, we're making a slight change to the responsibilities of the Moderator on Duty. In addition to overseeing the game and being the primary responder to all in-game incidents, the MoD will also now be acting as a back-up host. In the event that the host, and co-host if applicable, is unavailable to update the thread in a timely manner, the MoD will have the power to do so. This will allow games to continue running smoothly and thus not cause delays to the queue or inconvenience the players.
However, on the flip side, this means that the MoD needs to be a completely informed observer for the game, so that he can post accurate results for phase changes, should that become necessary.

We hope that this will be a rarely used power, but we do feel that it is necessary in order to maintain an efficient, and timely, update schedule in the event of extenuating circumstances.

This is supposed to be a backup host system, but what about games where the MoD is already a host or is the sole host? Obviously is a backup host system but if something happens that causes both host and cohost in this situation, there would be no backup host...

Am I making any sense?

Basically, in this situation if the moderator is either sole host or cohost, a third person - preferably member of staff - should be designated as backup host. They would simply function as an informed observer for most of the game but would have the power to act if they notice too long as passed without an update from the hosts.

I hope I'm making sense...

So this has been somewhat discussed in the TWR Discord chat and now it's going to the table.

As discussed by @Hellcrow and @HumanDawn, there is a huge backlog of games that are ready in the queue. However, the wait to get the game out of the queue and ready for playing could take months. And on top of that, short games may have to wait months. I think perhaps we should create a tiered queue system for games for TWR.

I'm thinking amongst the lines like this:

Quick/Small Game System
Mafia games that have 24 hour phases and/or with less 24 hour phases

Normal Games/u]
Mafia games that don't fit the above definition

Non-Mafia based games
Self-explanatory

Hopefully this will loosen up the queue a little bit and increase the diversity of Mafia games that are happening in TWR. The number of types of games can be based on the activity of this section.

Thoughts on this idea?

I like this idea. Smaller, faster games - such as Stab in the dark, and the many similar games that go through - should be under different queue mechanics. These games usually only last a few days and would be completed rather quickly.

I also like the idea of a system to encourage diversity. I'm feeling a little burned out from too many similar games in a row myself... It would be great to have some diversity.

I think a tier system is really good. However it is added would be fine with me. But adding onto Pikochu's post, I would include players too, because sign-ups, role-pms and the other technical stuff would take longer.

This is supposed to be a backup host system, but what about games where the MoD is already a host or is the sole host? Obviously is a backup host system but if something happens that causes both host and cohost in this situation, there would be no backup host...

Am I making any sense?
It is a backup host system designed to be activated when (non-staff) users have trouble with hosting and staff needs to intervene so that the game ends in a timely manner.
Staff hosts are expected to be active anyway and if there still is a need for someone else to take over a fellow staff member may do if absolutely needed. After all, we've established that other staff members may step in too if the MoD is not around etc.

I don't mean with moderation, I mean with hosting...

Yes, it is VERY unlikely that both the cohost/MOD and the host will be unavailable at the same time, but if that is the case, a third party should have access to the game's backroom.

You know what, I really am not making sense... I'm going to go sit in my corner instead.

It depends on the time of year, the size of the game, and many other factors.
A larger game during a time of inactivity will fill up much slower than a smaller game during a time of excessive activity.

Example: Elieson's I Can't Believe It's Not War Room Mafia Mafia just posted signups today, but it's already almost full, if not entirely full.

I think it filled up as fast as it did because it's not a kooky abstract conceptual idea based mafia game with unusual mechanics...it's just a pretty simple structured game (10p OC). Not to say I don't like the others that are out right now, but there's lots of neat and atypical games out right now, and for players who just wanna play a nice normal game, it might've been appealing? plus, I'm the best host ever and people flock to my games because of the quality services I offer.

I don't mean with moderation, I mean with hosting...

Yes, it is VERY unlikely that both the cohost/MOD and the host will be unavailable at the same time, but if that is the case, a third party should have access to the game's backroom.

You know what, I really am not making sense... I'm going to go sit in my corner instead.

Eevee,

There's always going to be a Host and a MOD. If the Host happens to be say, Zexy, then TCF/ME would be the MOD. We don't need a non-mod Co-Host, though it'd be convenient if the game was developed by two people, such as (loosely) how ROMCH-iverse Mafia was held. What you're saying isn't a bad thought, but right now, I'm pretty sure the intent of this all is to have a MOD make sure that the host(s) that post signups and operate their game, are able to have their game run properly in the event that he/she/they are unable to perform their hostly duties.

Eevee,

There's always going to be a Host and a MOD. If the Host happens to be say, Zexy, then TCF/ME would be the MOD. We don't need a non-mod Co-Host, though it'd be convenient if the game was developed by two people, such as (loosely) how ROMCH-iverse Mafia was held. What you're saying isn't a bad thought, but right now, I'm pretty sure the intent of this all is to have a MOD make sure that the host(s) that post signups and operate their game, are able to have their game run properly in the event that he/she/they are unable to perform their hostly duties.
Not what I was talking about...

It's okay, Caps got what I meant and he's right... it's very unlikely it'll ever happen... but I do have my "I told you so" sign ready if it does.

As a first time host, I know that I am quite excited to host. But I do need to wait quite a while to start the game. There could be a mod approval system for certain games being bumped up in the queue for some reasons? I think would be beneficial.

Last edited:
Both MP and USPE needed the 20 days to fill up however,

Ay, sorry for replying late; didn't mean to ignore you leetic.

But tbh I have no idea what either of those games are since I haven't been around much lately, but I hadn't realized some games did need 20 days. From what I've seen most games fill up within 2 weeks or so so 20 days seemed a bit excessive to me. Either way, with the idea I was suggesting, they could choose to have their signups open for 6 more days if they didn't want to cut roles, but by the 20th day they'd need to at least get their game going.

I guess, the biggest thing I was trying to suggest was that the 20 day limit should be enforced to the tee to ensure games are moving steadily.

The other mods and I have worked long and hard, and we have produced a new set of rules to reflect some of the changes around here.
There will be more changes and updates coming, so please be patient, and keep making suggestions.
It's thanks to all of you that we've been able to come up with some new and innovating ideas for the subforum.
RULES: - NEW War Room Rules and Etiquette

The other mods and I have worked long and hard, and we have produced a new set of rules to reflect some of the changes around here.
There will be more changes and updates coming, so please be patient, and keep making suggestions.
It's thanks to all of you that we've been able to come up with some new and innovating ideas for the subforum.
RULES: - NEW War Room Rules and Etiquette

Edits solely for spelling, grammatical, or formatting purposes are permitted.

Thank you!

You're not the only one with OCD. :p

Also, don't thank just me. As with everything, it was a collective decision by TWR staff, and was brought to our attention by you lot.
If only you knew how close I came to breaking that rule, quite a few times, to correct minor spelling or formatting issues. :p

You're not the only one with OCD. :p

Also, don't thank just me. As with everything, it was a collective decision by TWR staff, and was brought to our attention by you lot.

not to mention he caught me doing it

Mod note regarding the new Off-Site Mafia Events and Advertising Thraed

After discussion among The War Room staff we have decided to create a new thread in which off-site mafia games may be advertised within Bulbagarden. Advertising in the Discord chat is still allowed, though.
That thread could use a comma after "In this thread only", to make it flow better :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom