• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Round Table

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, submissions for non-mafia games have been picking up lately, so that probably doesn't help.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Thank you all for the feedback over the queue system. After much discussion, the staff has decided to not change anything in the queue system. However, we recommend that you do not attempt to host lots of Large Games as it is difficult for them to fill up and may result in your work on the game being thrown away. If you do wish to host a Large Game, we recommend having a backup setup that you can use if the game doesn't fill up completely. Additionally, games with a flexible player count [??p] are convenient as any number of players over 5 is sufficient for them to run.

Quick question:

First, what does everyone think about wincon changing roles? I know it'd be bastard, but I'm wondering what people think of them, Such as cultist.

What do you think about a game themed around a wincon changing role?
This is Mafia Philosophy material, not Round Table. Please post it there :)

Couple of suggestions I would like to bring up.

First, I want to see the concept queue return. This queue had purpose in listing games a player was working on but wasn't quite ready for a proper queue, which allows people to see what others are working on and even volunteer to help (Or reserve sign ups). I feel removing the concept queue was a mistake, and I'd love to see it return.

Second: When I first started playing in TWR, there was a mention of mentors in the stickies but I never saw anything more to do with it.

What I'd like to see is a mentor program start up. Players that are willing to spend some time helping others improve can become mentors... and what they'd do is have one on one sessions (via PM, voice chat, etc) to help their dedicated students. This would of course be voluntary for both parties.

I'd also like to see mentor games run from time to time (such as the one that happened last year) where the student gets a role PM, and the mentor is an uninformed observer (they don't know the setup and can only see their student's role PM and the main thread), and they work to advise their student on how to judge a person's behaviour and attitude in thread, their actions... etcetcetc. Basically not tell, but guide their student.

I know this would require dedication on both the staff members and the volunteer mentors, but I do think it's worth it.

And yes, before you ask, I'd definitely volunteer as a student because I know for a fact that I need this program myself.

I hope both suggestions make even a shred of sense.

First, I want to see the concept queue return. This queue had purpose in listing games a player was working on but wasn't quite ready for a proper queue, which allows people to see what others are working on and even volunteer to help (Or reserve sign ups). I feel removing the concept queue was a mistake, and I'd love to see it return.

100% agree with this. It also served as a way to say, "Im thinking of this game go get your own game :p". The only flaw I saw is that it became insanely cluttered. The queue's looked professional, then having the conceptual queue on the bottom made it look messy. Maybe an entire new thread for it, im not sure but thats the only flaw I had.

I'd also like to see mentor games run from time to time (such as the one that happened last year) where the student gets a role PM, and the mentor is an uninformed observer (they don't know the setup and can only see their student's role PM and the main thread), and they work to advise their student on how to judge a person's behaviour and attitude in thread, their actions... etcetcetc. Basically not tell, but guide their student.

Agreed, I probably wouldnt participate in the games myself. But my thoughts can change.

Two very good points.

. The queue's looked professional, then having the conceptual queue on the bottom made it look messy. Maybe an entire new thread for it, im not sure but thats the only flaw I had.
I think the concept queue can simply be in a spoiler tag, which naturally causes it to be collapsed.

On one hand, a concept queue is a good idea, on the other hand you're basically letting people claim games and have them just under their name for a while. I think having a dedicated thread to storing game ideas and making requests for types of games or asking if people would wanna co-host a game would be great, but I don't think necessarily "claiming" them would be.

Now the mentoring program should indeed return. I could probably teach people how to be as crazy as me(or ME). And learning from others is always a good thing to do :)

On one hand, a concept queue is a good idea, on the other hand you're basically letting people claim games and have them just under their name for a while. I think having a dedicated thread to storing game ideas and making requests for types of games or asking if people would wanna co-host a game would be great, but I don't think necessarily "claiming" them would be.
It's not really claiming games... If I wanted to do a Star Wars game while Darth is doing one, there is nothing stopping me and Darth from both adding our games to the concept queue...

I actually had an idea regarding a mentor game. It kinda flips AE's idea on its head where, instead of the students playing and the mentors advising, the mentors play, and the students observe how they play and interact with the other players.
Each student is paired with one mentor-player and is given access to only the information that their mentor has.
The student can then watch as their mentor plays the game, ask questions about methodology and techniques, as well as see what their mentor does "behind the scenes."
As I'm sure anybody who has hosted a game I've played in can agree, I take vigorous notes in my role PM that never get to see the light of day as the game progresses based on my understanding of the game and how it works. This is invaluable to student players because it actually shows how my thought process evolves based on new information at my disposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom