• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Round Table

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
round-table-group-circle.png
Hello War Room, and welcome to The Round Table!

We have established this thread as a means for gathering user input regarding upcoming and future changes to The War Room. All ideas and suggestions presented here will be considered.

Of course, as with every forum for communication, some basic rules apply.

1. As always, all BMGf rules apply.

2. While there are bound to be disagreements in position and opinion, please keep all conversation civil. Avoid any and all unnecessary drama.

We are excited to usher in this new era for The War Room, and we are looking forward to hearing your suggestions on how we can make this place feel welcoming to you.

The first subject we'd like to discuss is categorizing mafia games into different tiers based on their difficulty, level of experience required, or atmosphere. The idea behind these changes is to make sure that there's a place for everybody to feel welcome here regardless of how experienced they are or their preferred playstyle.

With that out of the way, the floor is open to you, the users.

Something something the only thing that Casual/Classic needs to exist to distinguish between is the playerbase involved in the game.

IMO OC games will function more casually than OC, and I suggest that we just take the approach of having them sorted as such. If you join an NOC game, being inactive hurts, and inactivity is what gets people like me hot and bothered

Something something the only thing that Casual/Classic needs to exist to distinguish between is the playerbase involved in the game.
We would rather not prohibit anybody from joining any tier. The playerbase may eventually differ because of each player's preference.
IMO OC games will function more casually than OC, and I suggest that we just take the approach of having them sorted as such. If you join an NOC game, being inactive hurts, and inactivity is what gets people like me hot and bothered
I guess you mean "more casually than NOC". Agreed, NOC was never the casual Bulbagarden norm before and is inherently harder and should be more active.

e572cfaa002002b1648823441352103b.png

New Tags for game organization:
  • Traditional Mafia
  • Non-Traditional Mafia
  • Non-Mafia

Any objections to these being new standardized tags for games?

We would rather not prohibit anybody from joining any tier. The playerbase may eventually differ because of each player's preference.

I guess you mean "more casually than NOC". Agreed, NOC was never the casual Bulbagarden norm before and is inherently harder and should be more active.

The idea of having a "Lighthearted" or "Casual" game already implies a preference in joining a game. I'm not going to influence people from joining my games with a tagline of "my game will be rather serious so srs players only". I host all my games hoping people try their hearts out. Even my gimmick games like EiMM. That said, the atmosphere of the game will be casual pretty much since it's just how gimmick games work. It's hard to promote your game as Either/Or.

But yea, Consensus has to agree: NOC > OC in terms of "seriousness"

Hey @Elieson;, better ask me next time before posting a Discord screenshot of our chats!

I think tag names should be shorter than "Non-Traditional Mafia".

Experimental Mafia?
Complex Mafia?

^ Like "Complex Experimental mafia, in which there is no cop and three mafia roleblockers and an independent role that shoots players if the independent can figure out their role name. And Zexy is automatically fearkilled night 1" Cause I need that tag for a game I want to plan.

I do agree with Ellieson on the tags. I would prefer not to have to select one of the two when creating the game, because I would like to have a mix of both sides in my games. I enjoy the informative tags that base upon how traditional the mafia is. Maybe a fourth tag that we can call "Mentor games" or "beginner games", which we could host once every month or two in order to encourage new players to play with other new players, under guidance of a more experienced mentor. I think this would help us get more players in here by providing a comfortable way for people to learn.

That is true, I only mentioned mentors because it would give the trainee's somebody to talk to in order to help them during the game. I'm not certain how a game of 100% new people would go without them having anywhere to go.

I would simply use two categories...

"BMGf" and "MU"... BMGf referring to games in BMGf's old style. Designed around fun, these games would be light on rules, and focus more heavily on flavour and fun. Such games would allow silly things, such as voting the host. They would be unlikely to be full of vanilla/goon roles, and would include mostly power roles in the interest of trying to make most of the player slots interesting.

THe MU tag would cover games like Paragon. Games that are the norm on the more serious mafia websites, but are kinda out of place on BMGf's old setting.

Mechanics like NOC/OC would apply to both types. I used NOC in MSW2 because it was more appropriate to the game than OC, but MSW2 was definitely in the first category.

@AussieEevee; We proposed the names "Casual" and "Advanced" in place of "BMGf" and "MU" respectively. We talk about Bulba-style and MU-style unofficially, but we cannot name our tiers like that. It would also be disrespectful to all the other mafia communities we interact with.

Yes, but what does that mean?

I mean... under my categories, Kakashi's Gen 1 would be under BMGf... But under your categories, I think it'd be under Advanced because it's a highly complicated game.
Not necessarily. Complicated mechanics do not have to make a game "Advanced" in in of themselves. Nor does fantastic or fun flavor have to indicate a "Casual" game.
Atmosphere of said game is just as important.
For example: Kakashi's Build-It and Pokemon Gen games have really fun, but challenging mechanics. However, the atmosphere of the games are more relaxed and about having fun and exploring the mechanics. Yes, you're still out to defeat the other faction, but it's considerably less pressure than games like Paragon, which has fantastic and fun flavor, but a very serious atmosphere.

Four tags (two per, for what it sounds like) is kinda of a lot, and I'm not really sure if the forum will let you have two tags. Beginner friendly and experienced could more or less just be specified in the opening post of a game thread, really.

Casual (joke votes and odd/friendly conversation is permitted) and Serious (a still friendly yet serious, here-to-play environment) are two good tags, I think, though even those could really just be stated in the OP. But given how much the the mafia scene is changing on here, I don't think it would hurt for those two to become headlining types.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom