• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Round Table

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings Knights of the Round Table!

Over the last few months it has come to our attention that quite a lot of people have problems making reads in mafia games, especially the newcomers. Upon inspection we noticed that this topic isn't disucssed in our Player Guide.

So what are reads? Although everyone has their own style to it, it comes down to sharing your thoughts on the progress of the game and a participating player. You could also combine all those thought to form a reads list. Well, that's my view on it at least. There isn't really a clear definition of a "read". To each their own.

And that's where you, the player, comes in! We would like to expand this guide with your input.
Share us your thoughts on what reads and a reads list are to you and tell us what you think should be added to the guide. If enough interest pops up to help out with making the addition we might move it to our guide volunteer chat as well.:)

Preferably a 1:1 ratio for mentors to mentees. Theoretically, the same mentor could be used for the entire mafia faction, but that's it. Each townie needs to have a mentor that knows as much about the game as they do, so 1:1 ratio must be maintained.
There's also the slight issue that some of us, who may have been willing/able to be mentors before might not be able to do so now, but I'll figure out my own availability in the near future.

Okay, I've got an idea. We could have a sort of "role bank," if you will, for hosts to store roles from all their different games. There could be a big, comprehensive list of roles used in TWR, as well as a personal role bank thread for hosts who want one. There, hosts can store info on either only their most unique roles, or everything from whatever they've hosted, down to the most humdrum vanilla role. Roles can be categorized by game, alignment, alphabetically, etc.

So...thoughts?

I like the idea and could see use for it when creating games, but how would you want to do that? Would you want to make a thread where you can put your roles or maybe make something outside of the forum on Google Drive for example? Or maybe something like MafiaScum does?

I would think we could also create a "Power Scale" for how strong a Town/Mafia role is compared to others to make the game somewhat balanced (strong town/negative mafia roles could have positive numbers while negative town/strong mafia roles would have negative numbers, then the total should be around 0 to make it balanced)

I was thinking along the line of seperate threads.
So like a subsubsection where you can create a new thread per role with room for comments and 1 thread comparing all roles? That could work.
I could see your power scale being a cool idea for the main role bank. We could also list some checks against any roles that have either excessive negative or positive power, as well as good pairings for weaker roles?
If what I put above would get done that could be done in the comparing thread, I really start to like this idea more and more now :p

Separate threads isn't a good idea.

I think one combined thread, with one of the moderators that is willing to manage it. Roles, custom or common, that have been used by 2 or more hosts go into the moderator's post, while everyone may post their own list of custom roles in their own post within this thread.

Each role listing must follow strict information guidelines (as posted by the moderator) as to help people when chosing if they want to use that role in their game.

The thread would also be strictly no talking. Use TSR for that.

Just my two copper anyway.

So like a subsubsection where you can create a new thread per role with room for comments and 1 thread comparing all roles? That could work.
I wasn't really thinking a thread for each role, just 1 big TWR compilation plus host-specific lists for hosts that want to make them. But we could also have a place for that.

I don't like the idea of Host specific role banks being separate threads.
Y'all are absolutely welcome to make Role banks for yourselves from the roles you've used in the past, but creating new threads just for a single host's role bank gets cluttered very quickly.
Using the OP of a thread as a collective role bank and having hosts post their own "role banks" or additions to the collective role bank in the thread is a good idea, though. Keeps everything contained and nice and neat.

I think that as long as you can link to the reveal of the role it is okay to have them in your own bank, but indeed for the TWR bank it would have to be used in TWR

So the idea for "TWRole Bank" at the moment is one thread where you can keep your own role bank from games in TWR and outside and a list of roles with what they do in the OP with comparisons between the roles and the discussion to be in TSR?

I think that the list of all roles will get large very fast and that TSR would be flooded by the discussion. We might just want to keep TSR from flooding by having Mafia Philosophy be the place to discuss roles.
And we would of course also need people to manage it, I myself would be willing to help with this and we would need to have at least 1 Moderator on board to help.

I think we should only use 1 thread for this. The OP as collective roles of evreything that has been used in TWR. People can post their own list in the thread as well possibly, but I mainly want discussion to stay in that thread.

I would think we could also create a "Power Scale" for how strong a Town/Mafia role is compared to others to make the game somewhat balanced (strong town/negative mafia roles could have positive numbers while negative town/strong mafia roles would have negative numbers, then the total should be around 0 to make it balanced)
A scale is hard to make as power of a role is largly tied to interaction with other roles.

I'm willing to mod this project if needed.:)

but I mainly want discussion to stay in that thread.
I think that thread would work best if it didn't have discussion in it... Just served as an actual database of roles.

We have two other threads (TSR and the philospy (sp) ones) that we can discuss the roles in.

I think that thread would work best if it didn't have discussion in it... Just served as an actual database of roles.

We have two other threads (TSR and the philospy (sp) ones) that we can discuss the roles in.

Gotta agree with AussieEevee on this one, Darth. Mafia Philosophy exists for a reason.
So what if someone wants to ask to add a role to the op?

Personal banks can be threadmarked for easier navigation if you like. I'm also willing to mod it.
So every post then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom