• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The sheer number of Galar Pokemon who haven't appeared in the anime

And even then ALL 5 OF THEM have had bad writing to varying degrees

- One exists pretty much to get overshadowed by a Shillmon that has existed for about half the franchises lifespan

- One only exist to be worthless Comedy Relief and nothing else

- One started off okay but randomly disappeared upon evolution and got replaced by the aforementioned worthless Comedy Relief

- One had the WORST evolutionary arc in the series

- And One barely exists 90% of the time and whenever it does show its either Conedy Relief or Deus Ex Machinas some of the most BS Wins I've ever seen

(Can you guess who's who?)

• Sirfetch'd
  • Interchangeably Grookey/Morpeko
  • Inteleon
  • Cinderace
  • Dracovish

• Sirfetch'd
  • Interchangeably Grookey/Morpeko
  • Inteleon
  • Cinderace
  • Dracovish
Swap Inteleon and Cinderace and your correct

Also holy shit Morpeko didn't even cross my mind when I was typing this because I completely forgot about it :bulbaFacepalm:

But that only just further proves my point

Remember how long it took for Togetic to debut in the anime? Do you think there's a good chance that at least one Generation VIII Pokemon is probably going to be given either the Togetic treatment or perhaps even the Klang treatment? Also, do you think Klang is ever going to appear in the main series? Which do you think is more likely, Klang debuting before all of the Generation VIII Pokemon or vice versa?

It's saddening really. Say what you want about Johto or Unova but they knew how to make the new Pokemon not only relevant to the series but also exploring their abilities and behaviours. Journeys, with a few exceptions, only uses them as cameos, for story reasons (Grapploct, the legendaries, Grimmsnarl,...), or felt pressed to use them because of their popularity (Inteleon, Falinks, Alcreamie...). And I don't feel at all that is changing for Journeys' endgame.

Remember how long it took for Togetic to debut in the anime? Do you think there's a good chance that at least one Generation VIII Pokemon is probably going to be given either the Togetic treatment or perhaps even the Klang treatment?

Not counting movies or specials, I think the ship has sailed for:

• Galarian Zigzagoon, Blipbug, Dottler, Corvisquire, Rolycoly, Sizzlipede: A bit too basic to appear at this point of the series. They could still get cameos but nothing too big.
  • Polteagist: With Allister not participating in the PWC and the classical Ghost-type episode gone by, chances for it are slim. Could be used by a non-Galar trainer in the PWC (like Paul or a champion), but who knows.
  • Arctovish: Sorry Bulbapedia, images don't count. While Dracozolt is moderately popular and could be used in some battle as a counterpart to Dracovish, Arctovish is forgotten by the fans and can only be used in water, making things very hard for it.
  • Kubfu: A character arc for it would require it to evolve, and 3 Urshifu in the cast would be overkill. It could appear in a Danika/Quillion flashback but I doubt that would last enough to be a notable appearance.
  • Either Spectrier or Glastrier: In the hopeful scenario that Calyrex appears, I don't see it using both horses.

Remember how long it took for Togetic to debut in the anime? Do you think there's a good chance that at least one Generation VIII Pokemon is probably going to be given either the Togetic treatment or perhaps even the Klang treatment? Also, do you think Klang is ever going to appear in the main series? Which do you think is more likely, Klang debuting before all of the Generation VIII Pokemon or vice versa?
I feel like Klang has a good chance of appearing in Journeys, it’s best chance since BW but I honestly just find it really funny it is still yet to make an appearance…

At least with Typhlosion, Flaafy and Togetic - they made certain all of them would get a role in an AG episode, only the generation after their debut - and even with the large number of Galar Pokémon missing, I still expect them all to appear (maybe not Hisui Pokémon though)

All the Kalos and Alola Pokémon (excluding some mythicals) have aldebuted before Klang so it’s a distinct possibility Gen 8 will all appear too

Is it a shortcoming to not show Galar pokémon?
I'd say so. If you like any of the new Pokemon, then the anime not featuring the majority of them is probably going to be frustrating or disappointing. It's fun to see the anime feature the newest Pokemon of a generation and not having that for most of the Galar Pokemon is kind of sad. It might not be one of the biggest issues in Journeys, but I always thought it was disappointing, especially when there was never any attempt at balancing the focus between older Pokemon and the newest generation.

I'm starting to feel like the writers just don't care about the franchise anymore, choosing hype, profit, and shilling a creators' pet over actually promoting SwSh and PLA. I have a feeling this would continue in the SV series, too.

It's not just the Pokémon from SwSh that got shafted unexpectedly. Some of the Gym Leaders (Milo, Nessa, Kabu, Melony, and Gordie) have not appeared, either. Not to mention other major supporting characters, such as Mustard, Honey, Peony, and Peonia (all from the expansions, but still).

Bring back Pokémon Chronicles instead, but not this.
There have been side-series episodes since DP, but they're rare, and are almost never dubbed because Ash isn't in them. I doubt we'd be getting a proper spin-off focusing on world-building when the target audience are children under the age of 8.

There have been side-series episodes since DP, but they're rare, and are almost never dubbed because Ash isn't in them. I doubt we'd be getting a proper spin-off focusing on world-building when the target audience are children under the age of 8.
This has always annoyed me. If they do decide to dub the special episodes, they're selective of which ones. Like, they dubbed that boring Legend of XYZ episode over Clemont meeting Cilan. Why dub that over the one that included a past main character? We don't even know if they'll dub the Arceus special.

My issue with Pokemon Journeys is that despite the episodic "all regions" formula, they could've still made it work in giving Galar priority focus being the new region. I'm not a writer for the anime, but in my opinion here are some ideas of how this series could've worked out better:

- Making the Cerise Lab based in Galar instead of Kanto. Since many of the episodes (especially the earlier ones), are based around the Cerise lab/ Kanto region due to it being home base. That would've resulted in more opportunities to explore Galar, and possibly introduce more Galarian Pokemon.

- Giving Ash a full Galarian Pokemon team. As much as I love Lucario, Dragonite, and Gengar and acknowledge that they are fan favorites for many. They all had their fair share of appearances in the past. If I'm not mistaken, there has been a Lucario appearance in every series since it's Gen 4 debut. Those 3 slots in Ash's team could've easily gone to one of the Galar Pokemon that have yet to appear, and given them some focus and evolution.

- Yamper should've stayed with Chole. It was hinted at the beggining of the series that Yamper had a strong bond with Chloe. Why didn't she catch it? If they wanted to give Chloe a 2nd Pokemon, they could've given her a Toxel. Toxel being a baby Pokemon, and Chloe an inexperienced trainer, they could easily given the duo some proper bonding/development episodes with Toxel's eventual evolution. Yamper could've been the "big brother" figure to Toxel.

We didn't need another Pokegirl with an Eevee. Especially if there's no Eeveelution in this generation for it to evolve into.

- They could've given Team Rocket a proper team of Galar Pokemon. Jessie actually caught a Chewtle! The writers should've just have her kept it instead of giving it away to Giovanni for the Gatcha machine. There could've been alot of potentional for development or funny episodes, even if it didn't evolve into Drednaw. As for James, he actually owns a Morpeko which I always forget about since it barely appears, and when it does it's purely used as a gag and nothing else.

- Introduced Marnie, Bede, and Hop as proper rivals at the beggining of the series with their own goals and reasoning for entering the PWC and taking down Leon. Then we could've seen some buildup, training, and the eventual climax episode where Ash takes them down. This would've also been the opportunity to properly introduce Pokemon like Hatterene, Dubwool, and maybe Galarian Zigzagoon's evolution line.

- Introduced a proper Isle of Armor and Crown Thundra Arc with Galrian Slowpoke and it's evolutions, and the Galarian legendary birds.

With everything I mentioned above they could've still kept the world tour aspect of the anime's original purpose, and give Galar priority representation. Maybe cut back on some of the filller episodes.

Last edited:
It's not just the Pokémon from SwSh that got shafted unexpectedly. Some of the Gym Leaders (Milo, Nessa, Kabu, Melony, and Gordie) have not appeared, either. Not to mention other major supporting characters, such as Mustard, Honey, Peony, and Peonia (all from the expansions, but still).
You can add the Darkest Days plot to the pile.

As other have said, it's not just Galar Pokémon that have gotten the short end of the stick; it's Galar as a whole. I really wonder the reasoning for why they decided to forgo a traditional Sword and Shield anime in favor of Journeys, and this is coming from someone who didn't care too much for the Sword and Shield games. Especially since it doesn't look like it's gonna be a permanent change and they're going to shake things up again for Scarlet and Violet.

As other have said, it's not just Galar Pokémon that have gotten the short end of the stick; it's Galar as a whole. I really wonder the reasoning for why they decided to forgo a traditional Sword and Shield anime in favor of Journeys, and this is coming from someone who didn't care too much for the Sword and Shield games. Especially since it doesn't look like it's gonna be a permanent change and they're going to shake things up again for Scarlet and Violet.
Because that formula was tiresome, predictable and slowly becoming irrelevant with the introduction of DLC content plus emphasis on the player exploring on their own rather than central storytelling.

And after Ash won the Pokémon League in Alola, it makes sense to change up a bit for Ash's adventure to be a bit more loose world tour.

Because that formula was tiresome, predictable and slowly becoming irrelevant with the introduction of DLC content plus emphasis on the player exploring on their own rather than central storytelling.

And after Ash won the Pokémon League in Alola, it makes sense to change up a bit for Ash's adventure to be a bit more loose world tour.
And that would be fine if it was both done well and Galar didn't end up getting fucked over. But it wasn't done well and Galar did get fucked over.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom