• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

EVERYONE: The Shimmering Companion (vignettes, sidestories, and extras to the main theater-verse)

Episode 21: Ruby Phoenix Unwillingly Makes a Video

"Do I have to?" Ash asked, unnerved by the camera equipment Misty was holding.

"It'll be fun!" Misty assured Ash. "Besides, it would be fun to show our online fans on MyTube what it's like to be the yuushi of a Tawame troupe! That, and it'd drum up some free publicity for 'The Legendary Magic Sword'! The more people watch the video, the more likely they are to come see the play!"

"It's just for today, Ash...and Rona did give Misty permission to do this." Brock assured Ash. "Will you humor Misty and allow her to put a camera on you for a MyTube video?"

Ash sighed. "Okay...I'll wear the 'Yuushi-cam' for today."

---------

After a few minutes, Misty stepped back to admire her work. "Come to think of it, the headband cam that will do most of the heavy lifting for the video would blend in with costumes and your training garb."

"It's weird seeing what I see as video..." Ash admitted as he saw Misty and Brock smiling back at him through a pair of digital video glasses. The only obvious clue a camera was on him was a tiny black lens in the center of a red headband.

"Okay...here's how everything works..." Misty explained. "The CameraBand is rigged up to some iPieces, so you also see what the camera sees. The red gloves you have on are your controls for the camera--you can start and stop the camera at any point, as well as take a screenshot, adjust the volume of your voice on camera, rewind, fast forward, switch to selfie mode if you want to talk to the audience directly, and more. Once we're done filming, I'll edit all the video together to make one continuous video with effects, and put it on MyTube."

"I see..." Ash mused as he admired the various buttons on the red gloves he wore. "I can pick up and use stuff, and change clothes without messing up the video?"

Misty nodded. "The buttons are somewhere where you can find them, but won't mess up the video. They are also very clearly labeled, so you know which button does what. If you need to change into or out of gear or a costume, just turn off the camera and change. So if you're ready to start filming, just press PLAY to start the camera rolling!"

Ash nodded, flipped the camera view to selfie mode, then pressed PLAY. "Good morning, MyTube! This is Ash of the Kagayou's Niji Troupe." he began. "Since many of you wonder what it is like to be a yuushi actor in a Tawame troupe, I've been rigged up to the 'Yuushi-cam' for today--so you can see what rehearsing and preparing for a Tawame play is like from my perspective..."

---------

"Oh wow!" Dawn gasped as Ash emerged from the dressing room in his training garb and the camera. "Is that a camera?"

"Yeah--Misty rigged a camera to me for today, so our MyTube fans can see what I see." Ash explained. "They're about to see our fight training!"

"Are you sure that's okay?" Dawn wasn't so sure. "I'd hate to damage a camera with our prop swords--but on the other hand, a real first person sword fight would be interesting to see."

As Ash made his way down the hall to the dojo, he switched to selfie mode to tell an imagined audience about what they were about to see. "First on the agenda today is fight training--this explains the training garb. Today I'm going over a pivotal scene in Act 1--a duel with Dawn's character, White Deerling. So if you ever wanted to see how intense the fights in a Tawame play can get, here's your answer."

With that, he switched the camera off long enough to go inside the dojo, accepting one of the prop blades from a trainer on the way inside. "Oh, filming today's rehearsal?" a trainer asked.

"At least, what the fights look like from my POV." Ash replied. "Misty's idea for a MyTube video, with Rona's okay."

"I see..." the trainer mused. "You don't have to worry about the swords damaging your camera gear--they are just props, and not sharp enough to cause injury or damage."

She smiled. "Just let me know when you're rolling before we do each attempt, okay?"

"I plan to try and capture as much as I can, mistakes and all." Ash replied. "But I will tell you when the camera's rolling before we run through the duel."

---------

In the music room, Ash turned down the volume on the camera, then added a split-screen of an oscilloscope app on a nearby PC to his iPiece. "It's well known that the bansi--the ancient sideblown Wakunese flute--is famous for its very distinct loud and piercing sound." he explained. "But just how loud is it, really?"

He readied his own bansi to play. "So let's look at the sound of a bansi through an oscilloscope."

With that, he first played a mid range D note to establish a baseline for the wave images, then started playing various riffs and excerpts from solos he had played hundreds of times, with each riff being saved as a separate image on the screen.

Ash smiled with pride over the rainbow colored soundwave images his music had generated. "On this particular sound wave analyzer, softer sounds lean towards red, and louder sounds lean towards purple, with your average volume around the yellow range." he explained. "As you can see from the excerpts and riffs I have generated, a lot of them are in the blue range, almost purple, with the highest notes being a bright purple..."

Episode 22: Kanade, the Dragon, and the Phoenix

The orchestra played a tense interlude as Dawn, in the role of Kanade, met Brock, in the role of the village elder, on a set of a nice ancient Wakunese house. "May I ask why the people gather here tonight? I know of no festival falling on this date, so I thought I would ask why you were celebrating." Dawn began.

Brock sighed as the orchestra's song turned somber. "We are not celebrating anything." he explained. "It was really a funeral service for two of my grandchildren, who, though they are not yet dead, will be called to the heavens before too long."

"But how can such a ceremony be performed over people who are still alive?" Dawn asked. Some of the children in the audience stifle laughter at the quizzical look on Dawn's face.

"You have to understand that this region is under the control of a cruel demon." Brock continued over the ominous melody. "Every year, he demands two children, a boy and a girl, to eat. Many attempts have been made to resist this horrific demand, but they have only resulted in increased suffering to those who have dared to oppose him. Because of this, the woeful cycle continues, and many a heart is broken at the loss of those dearest to them."

"But is there any way to know when this terrible sacrifice is going to be demanded?" Dawn asked.

"The demon appears in the chosen house a few days before, and demands to have the victims ready on a specified date." Brock explained, nervously walking around the set all the while. "Only the day before yesterday, this summons came to us to have our children ready by tomorrow morning at dawn. That is why we had a feast today, and performed the funeral rites for the dead, so that their spirits may not be held under the control of this merciless demon, but delivered to the Great Lord's care in heaven."

"But what is the demon like?" Dawn asked.

"No one knows for sure what he is like," Brock cautioned as the elder as the orchestra's song turned tense. "He has no form that one can see. His presence is known by a strong gust of wind which fills the place with a peculiar smell, and with an influence so subtle that you feel yourself within the grip of a powerful force, and instinctively bow as though you were in the presence of a being who could destroy you in a moment if it wanted to." A bansi proceeded to blast a note that sounds more or less like a girl's scream, startling many in the crowd.

"One more question..." Dawn interjected as she got up from her place on the stage floor. "Where did this demon come from, and how that he has grown so strong enough to defy even heaven itself, with the Great Lord Arceus and all the Legendaries that watch over us all?"

"This demon was filled with evil intentions and fiendish instincts from the very beginning." Brock replied. "He took the first opportunity he could to escape to the earth, and took up residence in the grottoes and caverns that lie deep down beneath the waters of the river. Other spirits almost as evil as him have also reside there, and they combine their forces to bring calamity and disaster upon the people of this region."

Fearful whispers race through the crowd as the children debate how such a demon could be defeated. "Now, Kanade cherished all living things, but she grew very angry when she thought of how many innocent children had been sacrificed to appease the depraved demon." May went on, quieting the chatter as the lights went down. "Taka and Mizuchi were just as mad, and they began to discuss how to save the elder's grandchildren, and at the same time slay the demon so no one would ever have to sacrifice a child again."

As the lights came up on the set of a common ancient Wakunese house, Ash--in a majestic red, orange, and gold costume--appeared in a burst of "fire. Misty--in a majestic blue, silver, and white costume--arrived a few moments later. "So? How did the meeting with the elder go?" Misty asked as Dawn arrived in the scene.

"It turns out the festival was no festival at all--and many in this village cry because they have lost a son or daughter to a demon." Dawn explained. "It doesn't help that the elder's children are next in line to meet this horrible fate."

"This has gone far enough!" Ash vowed. "No more hearts should have to break to appease a demon! Especially not an elder's children!"

Misty nodded in agreement. "We can't flat out refuse to send a sacrifice...no doubt there is some horrible fate to those that refuse this demon?

An idea occurred to her. "Say...what if we traveled to the demon's lair under the ruse that we will be the sacrifices?"

"That's a great idea!" Dawn smiled. "You both have transformation abilities, so Demon-san would be none the wiser!"

Misty nodded in agreement. "Let us return to the elder, and inform him of our plan."

Ash grinned. "Let me play the boy, and Mizuchi play the girl, and together we will battle the demon, and deliver the people from his dreadful tyranny."

Cheers filled the air at the orchestra's triumphant stinger. "Okay...I will tell the elder of our plan, and ask for what he knows of the demon's tactics so you two can prepare for the battle." Dawn smiled before exiting. The orchestra played a hopeful interlude as the lights went down...

Episode 23: Smelling the Heavenly Fragrance For the First Time

"Okay! The Heavenly Fragrance Bow is ready for action!" Rona smiled, sending the group dashing into the dojo's archery range. The custom bow had been specially made for Brock for the play of the same name, and Brock was excited to finally shoot the glittering red, green, and gold bow with eight glittering prop jewels near the grip.

"Is it okay if I take a few shots before our acting rehearsal?" Brock asked as he admired the ornate bow in Rona's hands. "I wanna see how the bow feels before I actually get to shoot it in Act 3."

"Here you are." Rona replied, giving Brock a quiver full of glittering green and gold arrows.

He sniffed the air before nocking his first shot. "I can tell the weaponsmiths used real azusa wood to make this--I'd know that earthy Cheri-like smell anywhere!"

"They did use azusa wood for this weapon, even though it's technically not a hamayumi." Ash replied. "The weaponsmiths felt the bow should actually have a smell, and it serves a sacred role in the play, so they built it and blessed it like a hamayumi."

"You should've seen the blessing ceremony!" Serena raved at a memory. "Maybe those blessings will extend to our show!"

"I hope they will." Brock smiled as he nocked his first test shot.

Everyone held their breaths as the arrow elegantly flew into the target's bullseye. "Great shot!" Rona applauded as she watched Brock ready another arrow.

"I think he likes the sweet smell of the azusa." Dawn whispered as Brock's second shot landed on the left edge of the bullseye, to some quiet applause.

"He probably won't tell everyone publicly, but I think he's savoring every smell of the azusa he can with each shot." Misty agreed. "After all, the smell of azusa is supposed to relax you and help you focus--a must for the miko that traditionally used hamayumi."

"Brock is definitely focused, all right!" Ash smiled as Brock readied a third arrow to shoot. "Focused on making every shot hit the bullseye." He let that hang as Brock fired again...

---------

Later that afternoon, the Niji Troupe gathered to rehearse the pivotal point of Act 1--Brock's character learning of the dragon on the move and vowing to find the jewels inside the Heaven;y Fragrance Bow. "Okay, everyone...let's try Green Raikou's promise scene." Rona began, quieting the excited chatter onstage.

"Where in that scene are we starting, again?" Misty asked as she thumbed to Scene 3 in Act 1. "From the start of the scene, or Green Raikou vowing to find the jewels in the bow?"

"The promise scene, and the lines leading to it." Rona replied. "So, let's start from Silver Taillow's line about how the Heavenly Fragrance Bow is powerless without its jewels."

May found her line towards the end of the scene. "The Heavenly Fragrance Bow is powerless without its jewels! How do you plan to take on a dragon while the bow is missing its jewels?"

"I don't plan on battling Kuraijou with the bow in its current state." Brock assured May. "I plan to find the jewels that Kuraijou scattered first, then battle her!"

"Even though the bow is not at full power, are you SURE you want to battle Kuraijou?" Ash asked. "They say she is very powerful--strong enough to kill a god!"

"SOMEONE has to battle her!" Dawn interjected. "If nothing is done about her, the Emperor, the Empress, and the noble sects of the land would meet a horrible fate!"

"You're right..." Ash sighed. "If anyone could find the Heavenly Fragrance Bow and defeat Kuraijou, Raikou-san would be it!"

"I will go to any lengths to restore the Heavenly Fragrance Bow's divine power, and defeat Kuraijou, or die trying." Brock vowed. "That's a promise."

"All right, and scene!" Rona smiled, pleased at how the last part of the scene looked. "May, nicely done on balancing your character's fears and emotions, and not letting it become hysteria."

"Thanks--it's still hard to stay calm in this scene, but I think I'm getting the hang of it." May smiled.

"I did okay with my lines?" Ash asked. "I was trying to not be melodramatic either..."

"It was much better than the last few attempts..." Rona assured Ash. "You remembered my lesson on balancing your character's emotions, and letting Dawn shine in this scene."

She next addressed Dawn. "Remember that seeing Ash's character afraid is very unusual, as typically he is the first to charge to battle in times like this. You don't want to scream when you say 'someone', but you do want to emphasize someone has to slay the dragon, so try to sell the urgency in your lines. So his fear and your urgency should sell to the audience that Kuraijou is very powerful."

"Speaking of which--how are we going to handle Kuraijou when we reach her lair in Act 3?" Serena wondered. "Puppet? Animatronic? Projection?"

"A combo of video projection and an animatronic with targets." Rona replied. "It will be amazing to see the animatronic fly over the audience during the final fight!"

"I know--I can't wait to hit the heart target when it comes at me." Brock agreed. "Any ETA on when the animatronic and its targets will be ready?"

"In another two weeks, the practice animatronic will be ready for you to shoot at, and we can start putting together the final fight." Rona replied. "For now, let's continue working on lines and practicing songs, solos, and fights."

Episode 24: Six Spirits Live on TV

"It's been called 'the quintessential Tawame play', and a classic of the massive Tawame canon." a male TV announcer explained. "Now, the Kagayou is reviving 'The Princess of the Gold Palace' to kick off its popular summer series of plays."

"Joining us here in the studio are the six stars that make the play famous in Kanto..." a female announcer went on before addressing Serena, Misty, and May. "Serena, Misty, May, thank you and thanks to your co-stars backstage for taking the time to come visit us today."

"The pleasure's all ours." Misty replied.

"Tell us--why do you believe this ancient play has endured for so long?" the announcer asked.

"While the play is a love story at its heart, it also has some timeless messages--such as believing in yourself, standing up for what's right, and the lengths you are willing to go for those you love." Misty explained. "Plus, who doesn't love a story where love conquers all?" Laughter rippled through the TV studio in agreement.

Backstage, Ash, Dawn and Brock finished getting into costume. "Ready?" Ash asked, listening all the while for the signal that Misty, Serena, and May had finished the interview.

"Let's do this!" Dawn smiled as she emerged in a sparkling gold outfit with orange undertones and an elaborate headdress to match. "No matter how many times we do this play, I never get tired of these two scenes!"

Brock smiled. "There's lots of memorable moments in this play, but I think we picked one of the most iconic parts to perform live in the studio."

He peeked out to find Serena finishing her answer to the female announcer's last question. "They're winding up the interview--let's get into position!"

----------

The lights came up on a beautiful garden set in the TV studio some moments later. Dawn arrived on the stage a few moments later, savoring the exquisite detail in the set. No matter how many times we do this play, I love how the set crew went all out for this!

A bansi flourish from offstage almost made her jump. "A flute? Who could be playing here in the garden?" she wondered as the single flourish became a romantic melody. "It can't be one of the royal musicians, since the Sakura Festival doesn't start for a few days..."

She called offstage "Is it a friend or a foe who serenades me? Do you come in peace?"

Ash emerged from a bush on the set, a dull red cloak covering his phoenix-like costume. "A friend, milady. I am a traveler from a far away land."

"A traveler? Are you here for the festival?" Dawn asked. "If you are, you are early--the first night of the festival is this Golden Night..."

Ash and Dawn pantomimed a polite but friendly conversation as the TV cameras panned to Brock in his nook. "The princess and the mysterious traveler talked for a long time--the more she talked, the more Princess Kinari wanted to learn about this divine musician..."

"Will you be back for the festival?" Dawn asked.

Ash nodded. "I plan to stay for the festival...if you will meet me here in the garden before the festivities begin, we will talk more."

"I promise." Dawn replied, to some "aw"s in the studio audience as she embraced Ash...

---------

"The first night of the Sakura Festival arrived, and just as he promised, the mysterious prince returned to meet Princess Kinari." Brock narrated as he played a mysterious melody. "Though the princess had many questions about this flame colored traveler, deep within her heart, she was falling in love."

The lights came up on Dawn meeting Ash at center stage. "You came! Will you tell me who you are?"

"Not yet, milady..." Ash replied. "If I were to tell you who I am now, it would cause an uproar in the palace, and cast a pall on the festivities. But I promise you--when you get a free moment in your royal duties, return here to this place. I will tell you who I am then, and why I have to hide my identity. But I assure you my intentions in seeing you are pure and honorable."

Dawn hung her head in feigned sadness and shame. "Is it because of my father you have to keep your identity a secret?"

Ash nodded. "If your father were to find out who I am, he would likely kill us both in a fit of rage. But know this--I love you more than any king, prince, emperor or hero that has come asking for your hand before."

"And I love you in kind." Dawn smiled. "Father can kill me if he wants, but I will never stop loving you!"

"Then will you promise to meet me here when you have a moment?" Ash asked. "I will tell you everything then."

Dawn nodded. "I promise...may Arceus judge my father if he tries to keep me away from you!"

Episode 25: Six Elements Come into Balance

The acrobatics training room filled with excited chatter and laughter as the group arrived for acrobatic training. "Even though you do balancing all the time, Serena, this is the first time I can remember that we all had to do balancing training..." Ash mused as he got down onto a mat to stretch.

"Since the play's called 'Raikou Climbs the Mountain', I'm probably going to need to balance at the top of said mountain at the high point somewhere in Act 2." Brock smiled in agreement. "But since this is my first time doing balancing training, what can we expect?"

"There's several different exercises I do as part of balancing training, and a feat that can double as training." Serena explained. "But as this is you guys' first time balancing, there's no tightrope walking just yet--although a tightrope walk is one of your first goals if you're new to balancing."

"Bad memories of Mario Party..." Ash swallowed hard at having to walk across a tightrope while dealing with wind and cannonballs raining around him.

Serena stifled a giggle. "Oh no, there's no wind, and no cannonballs--all you'd have to do is walk a short way across to Tintri at the other end. The more confident you get, the longer the walk gets. For today, what you'll probably do is some balancing on one foot exercises, balance on a box, and balance on a ball."

"Balancing on a box sounds easy enough..." Ash smiled as he met the group in the center of the room. "How hard can that be?"

---------

"For our first exercise today, let's try a simple weight shift." the trainer explained. "This isn't a very difficult exercise, and perfect for balancing beginners."

She went on "Start by standing with your feet hip-width apart and your weight equally distributed on both legs."

Once sure everyone was in position, she explained "Next, shift your weight to your right side, then lift your left foot off the floor just a little."

This isn't that hard--I don't even feel like I'm gonna fall! Ash smiled as he focused on holding the position for five seconds.

"All right, now repeat this process with the other leg." the trainer explained.

"This is easy!" Misty smiled, pleased as she held the position on her right foot. "Wonder when we'll get to do the box?"

"The box is up next..." the trainer replied. "The box provides some extra stability if you are attempting to balance on one leg for the first time. Once you get comfortable with the box, we can try balancing on one leg without it."

---------

The trainer smiled as Ash made a powerful jump onto a wooden box. "Eager to get started, Mr. Phoenix?"

"Yeah!" Ash agreed as he watched the others step onto identical boxes for the forward bend exercise.

"The forward bend is the building block for all those balancing feats I do." Serena explained. "So while it might feel shaky at first, so long as you follow directions, you'll be fine."

"I wouldn't be opposed to trying the balance beam at some point..." Brock agreed as he stepped onto a box of his own.

"We do in fact have some balance beams in here, and I still remember all the moves I learned with them in gymnastics classes." Dawn smiled. "I can always give you some ideas for more balancing exercises on the beam, plus some cool moves that would look good onstage."

"Okay, everyone..." the trainer began. "Here's how to do a proper forward bend..."

She began "Stand with all your weight in your left foot, abs engaged and chest lifted. Next, reach your torso forward as you lift your right leg behind you. Reach your arms overhead for balance as your torso and leg come parallel to the floor."

"Whoa..." Brock gasped before managing to steady himself. "Now I know why you say it feels a little shaky at first." he grinned at Serena.

"Okay, hold it!" the trainer called. "Five seconds."

Easy as pie. Dawn smiled as she held the pose for five seconds, even though May was shaking nervously.

"Now, lower your right leg and your arms toward the floor as you return to standing position, resting the right foot lightly on the ground." the trainer instructed.

She smiled as everyone steadied themselves again. "Okay! Are we ready to try this with the other leg?"

"As I'm ever going to be..." May nervously stammered before starting the movement again with the other leg, being careful to mimic the trainer leading them.

How Serena and Dawn do this every day, I don't know... Ash thought as he performed the movement again. I feel like I'm gonna fall at any moment!

Serena just gave Ash an encouraging smile. Just like any other skill, this is gonna take time and practice. But I believe you can do it!

Episode 26: Six Spirits Reach for the Stars

"Here we are, everyone!" Misty smiled before making a grand gesture to Cerulean City's main drag. "Welcome to Cerulean City--the city with flowing water and blooming flowers."

"It's beautiful!" Dawn smiled as the group stepped onto a sidewalk. "This is a perfect vacation after all those shows we've been doing lately..."

"Where should we go first?" May asked. "Besides the Gym, what do visitors need to see?"

"Besides, Lilly, Violet and Daisy are doing maintenance on the Gym pools, so we shouldn't disturb them." Misty agreed. "Aside from the Gym, if you wanna see a Western play, a concert, or some other show, the Wave Theater is that way..." She pointed towards the west district. "If you miss the Tawame stage and wanna see my local troupe, the Suiren Theater is that way..." She pointed towards the east district of the city. "If you wanna get your history fix, Hanada Keep is close to where we are by bus. While most of the castle is original, some of it's been reconstructed."

"Isn't that the castle best known for its brave warriors, and how they stood up to all kinds of attacks?" Ash wondered.

"That's the one!" Misty smiled. "You can go inside and look around, as it's a Living History Monument. You can also see the historic Great Valley Temple, which is sacred to Manaphy and Phione."

"I'll have to check that out--maybe leave an offering for them for good luck with our shows?" Dawn smiled at a memory of Chocovine Town.

"Also of interest in the east district are the many fireworks factories, Stars Park, if you like baseball, and Dumpling Row." Misty went on as she led the group to a bus stop. "So, where to first?"

"Are the Stars having a game today?" Ash asked, excited at visiting a different team's park.

Misty glanced at the Cerulean Stars' schedule on SportsNav. "Yes! They're up against the Crimson City Ninetales today..."

She offered the group a bundle of tickets. "Anyone wanna go to the game? Daisy had some extras, just enough to allow all of us to go."

"Would I ever!" Ash happily grabbed one of the tickets.

"Tell Daisy we said thank you for the tickets." Serena replied as she too took a ticket.

Once everyone had a ticket, Misty explained "Now, Stars Park is just ten minutes away from here by bus. These tickets should put us in the first deck, overlooking home plate and first base. We have an hour before the game, so feel free to get food at Concessions Row, or souvenirs at the Star Shop."

"I know Max would like a Cerulean Stars hat..." May smiled. "That's one of the few Kanto team hats he doesn't have yet..."

"If he needs a Diamonds hat for the collection, I can mail him one." Brock offered as a sleek blue and silver bus pulled up to the stop.

"He has a standard Diamonds hat already, but thank you for offering." May replied. "He IS missing the silver and black away variant and the gold and black alternate."

"Okay...I'll see if the team shop at home has any of the away hats or the Gold Diamond variant." Brock assured May. "They don't typically have the away variant or the Gold Diamond for sale, but every once in a while, they'll be in stock."

"Interesting...do the Stars have any variations in their team uniforms?" Ash wondered as he watched buildings go by.

"Yes--in addition to your standard electric blue, white, and silver, there is the away variant, which has silver as the dominant color, a teal variation of the home uniform, and a royal blue uniform for special occasions." Misty explained. "But for every day home games like this, they'll be in the standard home colors."

She smiled as the bus pulled up to the stadium's bus dropoff. "And we're here! Welcome to Stars Park!"

"Wow..." Ash gasped, amazed by the stadium's size. "Trinity Park could fit in here twice!"

"Don't forget your tickets!" Misty reminded the group as they stepped off the bus and hurried to the stadium's front gates...

---------

Cheers filled the stadium as "Red, Blue. and Yellow Bold" finished some time later. "Play ball!" the chief umpire announced, signalling the game was underway.

Ash smiled as he watched the Ninetales' catcher come to the plate. "This is one of the best ways to spend a week off..." he mused as he watched the Stars' left fielder easily catch the ball, rendering an out.

He nudged Misty. "Got a glove if a ball comes this way?"

Misty beamed as she showed Ash a well loved electric blue Stars baseball glove. "I always do--you never know when a stray ball from either team will come your way!"

The crack of a bat and the cheers and calls of the excited crowd snapped Brock to attention. "Heads up, foul ball headed this way!"

Try as Misty might, the ball ended up flying over the group and into the second deck. "I tried, but that went way over us..." she assured Ash. "But it's just the top of the first, so there's plenty of time to get at least one foul ball." She let that hang as the Ninetales' shortstop came to the plate...

Episode 27: Six Heroes Brainstorm Together

"So Rona asked us to help the writers out and brainstorm some new play ideas." Brock explained as the group gathered in a conference room backstage. "Any volunteers to keep track of good ideas, and basic plots?"

"I'll do it!" Ash volunteered, eagerly opening a new Moltres design notebook to the first page, and heading it 'New Play Titles and Plot Ideas'.

"All right...once we're done here, Ash, I'll type up your list and the basic plots, and give them to the writers." Brock explained. "As for what we have to do, we'll go around the table suggesting play titles, and maybe a one or two sentence summary--the 'too long, didn't read' version--of the plot. There's no goal, no deadline...we'll keep brainstorming ideas until we can't think of more."

"What happens if we can't think of anything in the moment?" Misty wondered.

"If you can't think of anything when we get to you, just say 'Pass'." Brock explained. "Then we'll come back to you on the next go around.

He addressed the group. "We can pick a volunteer and go around from that person, or pick at random..."

"I'll go first!" Dawn volunteered. "I thought of a neat title featuring Misty in the lead the other night..."

"Oh?" Misty was intrigued.

"I call it 'Welcoming Sapphire Dragon to the Village'." Dawn explained. "Haven't really thought of a plot yet, though."

"That's okay--if you don't have a plot yet, I'll just write down the title, and leave the plot to the writers." Ash assured Dawn as he wrote Dawn's title down.

"After hearing you practicing bansi a few nights ago, that gave me an idea for a play, or even a showcase--'Following the Melody of the Phoenix'." Serena suggested. "Depending on how we want to approach this, it could just be a showcase of Ash's flute skills, or we could think up a plot with Ash in the lead..."

"It sounds cool, no matter how we decide to perform it." Ash smiled as he wrote down Serena's idea. "Who's next?"

"Not so much a new idea, but fans have been wondering when we'll see Ash's Jade Phoenix character again..." May wondered. "'Legend of the Jade Phoenix' was a huge hit...so I wonder if that play has any sequels, or if we can write a sequel?"

"I've been itching to play Jade Phoenix again myself." Ash grinned as he wrote 'Possible Jade Phoenix sequel?' on his list. "I'll see what I can find in terms of sequels--if there is any sequels, I'll ask Rona if we can perform them. If there's no sequels already out there, we'll write at least one!"

"Speaking of showcases, how does this sound for a spring showcase--'A Thousand Graceful Cheri Blossoms'?" Brock suggested. "It could just be a general spring showcase, or feature May in the lead."

"That sounds beautiful!" Serena agreed, watching Ash write down the idea all the while. "I'm sure May could come up with some new dances for such a showcase."

"One for you, Brock--'Displaying the Mark of Power'." Misty smiled. "Zelda turned up to 11?"

"Sounds fun!" Ash smiled as he wrote Misty's idea down, then wrote an idea of his own on the next line. "If I may contribute an idea of my own, what would you imagine a play named 'The Power of the White Rainbow' to look like?"

"Colorful, loud, exciting, and fun." Serena replied.

"I'd play any role you'd like in that play!" May smiled.

"I'd actually like to see you direct such a play." Brock agreed. "Just the title sounds like something you would write."

"If Rona doesn't object, I'll write it and direct it." Ash assured his companions. "Back to you, Dawn?"

Dawn nodded. "One for Serena...'The Outstanding Golden Delphox'."

"Aw, thanks." Serena smiled. "As for my next idea, how does 'The Sword of the Golden Castle' sound for a new Tale of the Hidden World?"

"We have been getting a lot of requests to see the ninjas again..." Dawn remembered. "Maybe that idea should inspire the writers a bit?"

"An idea for Dawn...'The New Moon Princess'." May suggested. "I picture a pretty deep blue robe for her costume."

"I like that!" Dawn smiled. "What if our princess starts as the new moon, and evolves to a full moon as her quest--don't know what that would be just yet--progresses, and she grows stronger?"

"That would make sense for a story!" Serena agreed. "I'll work on hammering out some details later, but Dawn's idea should be enough for the writers."

"I'll just write down Dawn's basic synopsis for now..." Ash assured Serena as he wrote in the notebook. "Brock, what's your next idea?"

"A story with some Robin Hood-esque characters?" Brock suggested. "Right now, I'm tentatively calling it 'The Bright Harmonious Forest', unless you guys have better ideas."

"That's sounds interesting!" May smiled. "I presume these would be all new characters?"

"Got any ideas for the basic story, Master Storyteller?" Misty grinned.

"I do actually have some ideas for a basic story..." Brock replied. "Keep in mind these are VERY tentative, and don't have names just yet."

He began "Our band of noble warriors are not thieves per se, but martial artists who dared to stand up to some corrupt nobles. The loyal nobles and officials know they are trying to help the people, and so don't lift a finger to stop them from robbing the evil nobles to feed the poor, if you will."

"And the only reason the imperial family is pursuing our heroes is they are too afraid to say no to the bad nobles in the court." May suggested. "Luckily, we give them the courage to say no at some point in the play."

"Now I want to put on this play!" Dawn agreed as she watched Ash furiously write down the basic plot of Brock's play idea...

After the new SV trailer over the weekend, I couldn't resist doing a quick vignette set in Paldea with the new cast watching our heroes perform, and what happened after the show...

Episode 28: An Iconic Scene in Scarlet

The audience in the Naranja Academy's majestic theater watched as Brock--in a familiar green, gold, and white costume--approached an actor playing a warlord. "This has gone far enough, Hikouchi..." he intoned. "The Grand Dragon Ring belongs in the imperial palace--so if you will give it back to us, we will let you go peacefully, and forget this whole thing ever happened."

"No!" the actor playing Hikouchi shot back. "Are you not aware of the Grand Dragon Ring's great power? With the ability to call Dragon Pokemon to my side, I could rule over all of Waku--no, the world!"

Horrified gasps and "Oh no"s filled the theater as the actor playing Hikouchi grabbed May's arm, and dragged her to his side. "The Grand Dragon Ring is mine now!" the actor roared over a dramatic stinger. "If you lot dare to try and stop me..."

The ring of a prop sword echoed through the majestic theater as the actor playing Hikouchi held a prop sword to May's throat, never mind that the blade was not sharp enough to do any real damage to a person. "The Six Spirits will be five...so do you really want to lose your precious little Beautifly?"

In the audience, Juliana held Penny close as both sides stared each other down onstage. "Please...don't hurt Jade Beautifly!" Penny whispered, as if the actors onstage could hear her.

"Hold it!" came a familiar voice from offstage.

The actor playing Hikouchi glanced around the stage, still holding May and the prop blade. "Who's there? Show yourself!"

A triumphant stinger and wild cheers revealed Ash--in a magnificent red, orange, gold and white costume--looking down on the actor playing Hikouchi from a platform above stage right. "I am Ruby Phoenix, the Spirit of Joy and Power!" he announced before elegantly jumping down before the actor playing Hikouchi and the struggling May. "You have nowhere to go now, Hikouchi!" he growled. "You'll have quite a lot to answer to in the imperial court--stealing a priceless treasure, stealing of other, more priceless treasures, ruining people's livelihoods, desecrating sacred spaces, evading capture, treason, kidnapping..need I go on?"

Nervous giggles filled the theater as Ash approached the actor playing Hikouchi. "No matter how far you run, I will not rest until you have answered for your crimes!"

The actor playing Hikouchi grimaced as fight actors playing troops joined him onstage. "Get him!" he barked, pointing at Ash.

The theater filled with cheers as Ash expertly kicked down some of the fight actors, buying May time to wriggle out of the actor playing Hikouchi's grip and run safely into Brock's arms. But Juliana and Penny's cheers were the loudest as Ash expertly performed a well rehearsed fight progression...

---------

"...so while we are here, you'll get to see more iconic Tawame plays, and learn what it takes to write one of these epic adventures from start to finish." Brock addressed the crowd of excited students in one of the Naranja Academy's spacious classrooms after the show. "You'll also get a chance to perform a few of these plays for yourselves."

Penny froze as the other students cheered. I have to perform? But I have stage fright!

She heaved a sigh of relief as Brock assured the crowd. "Now, I know not all of you have the skill to act, or find the notion of being onstage appealing. That's okay--if being onstage is not your thing, there's plenty of jobs you can do backstage--write the script, build the physical set pieces that compliment our digital sets, write the music for the singers and instrumentalists, write dance choreography, acrobatics, and athletic feats, make the costumes, make and perform puppets or animatronics, and more!"

"Let's start by seeing if there are any volunteers for some of these jobs." Jacq began as he joined Brock and Rona at the head of the class. "Who would like to learn to write scripts?"

Penny swallowed hard, then timidly raised her hand after a few seconds. I don't have to be seen by hundreds of people, I have Juliana and the troupe to help me if I need help, and it would warm my heart to see something I wrote come alive!

"Don't worry, Penny--if you need help and ideas, I'll help." Juliana smiled.

Jacq smiled when he saw Penny's hand. "You're sure you want to do this, Penny?" he asked.

"I do, Mr. Jacq." Penny replied. "I have Juliana and our guests here to help me."

"Okay...Penny and Juliana are the playwrights for Group A..." Jacq mused as he started a list of groups that would put on plays alongside the Kagayou...

Episode 29: Seeking the Eight Treasures

The main theater was electric with excitement as the Niji Troupe convened for the first acting rehearsal of "Eight Treasure Mountain". "Finally!" Brock smiled as he emerged from a dressing room in some familiar green Raikou masters' garb. "I've been looking forward to learning this play ever since the readthrough..."

"At least you won't need a costume--you're already a Raikou master." Serena agreed as she emerged from the wings. "Although...are there any gold masters' robes I can wear as a temporary costume?"

"There should be some in a wide variety of colors..." Brock replied. "So there has to be some gold robes with a Delphox character on them you can use as a temporary costume."

"What a great idea!" Rona smiled as Serena hurried backstage to look for a masters' robe. "Since this incarnation of the Six Spirits are masters of their respective arts, would you like to use those as your costumes? It would save the costume crew some time..."

"I would!" Ash called before hurrying backstage to find a masters' robe of his own for a temporary costume...

---------

"Okay, everyone...smile!" Rona smiled as she readied her PokeNav to take a picture of the group in their masters' robes.

"Cheese!" the group chorused as the PokeNav flashed.

"What ARE the treasures in the play, anyway?" Dawn mused as she followed Misty back towards stage left.

"According to the script, they are the Indigo Bridge Scroll, the Jade Moon Parasol, the Whiteplume Fan, the Ancient Starlight Sword, the Emeraldwave Harp, the Aurora Blades, the Golden Sunstaff, and the Radiant Color Bow." Misty replied. "For the moment, we need to focus on when our characters learn that the treasures are missing."

"Now then, everyone..." Rona began. "Let's begin with the scene in Act 1 when news of the Eight Treasures of Eight Treasure Mountain going missing finally reaches Summer Wind Hill."

"Does it really have to take that long?" May asked as she checked the script. "Does the script even say where Summer Wind Hill is in relation to the mountain?"

"Unfortunately, no." Dawn replied as she too checked her script. "All it says is that the hill is a long way off from the mountain in the production notes."

"Unlike most versions of this play, the audience will actually get to see the Eight Treasures being stolen in our version of the play." Ash explained as he read over the first few scenes of Act 1. "Most versions just skip to the point the Spirits find out about it."

"I have to agree with you Ash--actually seeing the treasures being taken makes this scene more powerful." Serena agreed as she thumbed to the scene in question.

"Meanwhile, on Summer Wind Hill, word of the Eight Treasures being taken soon reached the Six Masters." Rona read the narration that started the scene. "But Master Pearl Deerling was not about to see priceless treasures fall into evil hands...she rallied the other Masters into an important meeting, in hopes of recovering the sacred treasures.

Dawn waited for Rona to give the cue, then read her first line. "Everyone's here...good. I'm sure you've heard by now that the famous Eight Treasures of Eight Treasure Mountain were taken a few nights ago. The question is, who would take such valuable treasures, and why?"

"Probably an evil sect wanting to cause trouble...how complex is that?" Ash deadpanned, making Rona smile.

"It may not be so easy as that, Phoenix-san..." Brock interjected. "When an evil sect takes something like the Eight Treasures, they have a very good reason to do so. Sometimes, they want to rule the martial world with an iron fist. Sometimes, they want to abuse holy power for their own gain. And yes, they could just wish to cause turmoil in the martial world. It could be a completely different reason altogether--but there is always a reason."

"Remind me again what the Eight Treasures are?" Serena asked. "It has been so long since we traveled to Eight Treasure Mountain, I've forgotten what the treasures are..."

"First is the Indigo Bridge Scroll, which holds the magical power of allowing someone--or something-- to cross even the biggest of chasms..." Dawn explained. "Next is the Jade Moon Parasol, an enchanted parasol that glows with lunar light...the Whiteplume Fan, who can create mighty gusts of wind, the Ancient Starlight Sword, the sword that moves with the fury of a million points of light, the Emeraldwave Harp, who sings the divine song of the earth, and makes what is dead alive again, the Aurora Blades, who creates a rainbow colored wave of cold with the beauty of the northern lights, the Golden Sunstaff, who shines with the blessed light of heaven, and the Radiant Color Bow, which fires an arrow made of many colors."

She heaved at having to remember all eight treasures. "Is it possible to break this wall of text up so we all get a chance to name a treasure, and clarify just what some of them do?"

"Yeah...what does the Jade Moon Parasol actually DO?" Brock wondered. ""an enchanted parasol that glows with lunar light' doesn't tell us very much...sounds more like an MMO item description than something we actually need to find..."

"Transforms the holder into something?" Ash suggested.

Misty sighed. "Paper Mario 64 did that first..."

As the group huddled to discuss ideas for what the Jade Moon Parasol did, Rona watched the feverish discussion for a moment. "Whatever you guys decide that some of the treasures do--or which ones we need to change--we'll send on to the writers so they can revise the script."

"Right!" the group replied before resuming their discussion...

Episode 30: The Three Dragons Come to Life

Excitement filled the Kagayou's main theater as the Niji Troupe convened for a rehearsal of "The Three Wandering Dragons" "Which scenes are we going over today?" Brock asked.

"Today we will continue blocking Act 2. If time permits, we'll go over any parts of Act 1 you guys are having trouble with." Rona replied. "You three are doing well learning your lines."

"Aw, thanks." Brock smiled, a little embarrassed. "At this point, I have almost all my lines in Act 1 memorized, and working on the first scene in Act 2."

Rona smiled back. "I do plan to go over the Raikou Gate scene today, as well as the arrival in Summer Bloom Valley, where the three dragons meet Kanade, and learn some sacred arts from her."

"Where IS Dawn, anyway?" Ash wondered as he joined Brock on the stage.

"Coming!" came a voice from offstage, just as Dawn emerged from stage right in a familiar set of miko garb. "Good day, Sir Haku and Sir Chun." she smiled in character. "Where is the Lady Hatsu?"

"Last time I checked, Serena was looking for something to stand in for a costume." Ash replied before referring to a familiar ruby circlet peeking from under the brim of his cap. "I've got Chun's circlet to stand in for a costume..."

"Speaking of temporary costumes, we need you to try on the gloves that you will wear as Haku." Rona told Brock. "If you like them, you can wear them as a temporary costume for today."

"Be right there!" Brock called before setting aside his script, then following Rona backstage...

---------

"All right, I need the three dragons and Kanade!" Rona called, spurring Ash, Serena, Brock, and Dawn to hurry onstage with their scripts in tow.

Serena noticed the white sapphire studded gloves Brock wore as a semblance of a costume. "How do those feel?"

"They're quite comfortable, actually." Brock replied. "My only suggestion to the costume crew is to add a blue swirl to compliment the sapphires, but if this is the final design, I'm okay with that."

"I'll pass the word along to the costume crew." Rona assured Brock before looking at her copy of the scrip. "Now then...this may be a breather scene in the overall play--keep in mind you had to shake off the Deadly Murkrow School at Raikou Gate before--but it is an important breather scene. You now find yourselves at Summer Bloom Valley--the hideaway of the warrior-miko Kanade."

She motioned to Brock. "Let's try out the first part of the scene leading up to when Kanade meets you three, and see how that looks."

Brock nodded, then found his first line at the start of Scene 2 of Act 2. "We made it...this is Summer Bloom Valley."

"Wow..." Serena gasped as she looked around an imagined set. "It's beautiful!"

"I've heard that the lady of Arceus Kanade makes her home here when she is not traveling..." Ash began. "Maybe we can ask her help in stopping the Deadly Murkrows from oppressing the people?"

"Okay, and scene!" Rona called, motioning for Dawn to wait at stage left. "Brock, when you first arrive onstage for this scene, you don't need to make a big show of breathing hard. Just a few breaths in between phrases should sell that you three have been running to the audience."

"Hold off on the heaving--got it!" Brock grinned as he made a note in his script.

"Serena...I know it's hard imagining a beautiful flower filled green valley right now, but can you try to show a little more amazement when you say 'It's beautiful'?" Rona asked.

"Sure..." Serena replied as she too made a note in her script. "I trust Fara and the other crew Rotoms will come up with something nice!"

Rona looked at her script. "All right, let's continue the scene with Kanade's arrival."

"Does Kanade know about the three dragons?" Dawn asked. "My lines seem to imply that she does..."

"She does." Rona replied. "She reveres them, too, so when you enter, Dawn, keep your walking slow and reverent--as these are three divine beings you are approaching."

Dawn nodded, and slowly walked towards Ash, Serena, and Brock. "Good day, Great Dragons...what brings you here to this sacred place?"

"Lady Kanade, we come to you with an urgent request." Brock replied. "The Deadly Murkrow School is on the move, and causing terror on the land. Try as we might to battle them, they are much too strong for even the three of us!"

"It was a miracle that we managed to cross the Raikou Gate!" Serena agreed.

"Gods you may be, your own abilities alone won't be enough to defeat the Deadly Murkrow School." Dawn cautioned. "Since only a rare few can pass through the Raikou Gate and enter the valley, you are safe here--and you can train here without worrying your foes will find you."

"But we don't have time to train!" Ash protested. "We have to find and defeat Deadly Murkrow School before they plunge the martial world into chaos!"

"You can, and you will train if you hope to stand a chance at defeating the Deadly Murkrow School." Dawn deadpanned, a note of feigned anger in her voice.

Even Rona couldn't help laughing at Dawn's line and Ash's reaction. "And scene! Very nice angry reply, Dawn!"

"Thanks--I tried to channel all those times Mom got mad at me when I was little into Kanade's line." Dawn replied.

She studied the next part of the scene in he script. "Um, are the weapons I'm supposed to give Ash, Serena, and Brock ready yet?"

"The White Dragon Bow and the Emerald Star Ribbon are ready, but Chun's sword needs a little more time." Rona replied.

Ash was unfazed that his character's weapon wasn't ready yet. "The smithies can take their time--I can't wait to wield the Red Dragon Sword!"

Episode 31: The Heroine and the Ogre

The Kagayou's main theater rang with applause as Brock arrived onstage before the familiar red, deep blue, and deep green curtain, vina in hand. After taking a bow for the excited children in the audience, he began. "Good morning all...they say that there are three monsters who are considered the greatest and most evil yokai in all of Wakuese folklore: the ghost of the Black Swordsman, Ceruledge, the Ninetales known as Tamamo no Mae, and the dreaded king of the oni, Shuten-dōji--the topic of the tale we want to tell you today."

Excited murmurs raced through the theater. "But before we can talk about how the heroine Minamoto-no-Raiko--or just Raiko, for short, slew Shuten-dōji, we first have to talk a little about who Minamoto-no-Raiko was. At the time our tale takes place, it was the custom for samurai and other high ranking warriors--boys and girls alike--to keep four hand picked knights renowned for their daring spirit, their great strength, and their skill in wielding their chosen weapon, be this the mighty katana, or some other weapon. These four heroes were called the Shitennou, or Four Heavenly Kings, and they participated in all their master did."

He readied the vina to play. "Having said all of this, I can now properly begin our story."

With that, he played a long flowing chord to signal the crossing from the real world to fantasy. "Our story begins in the High Jewel City--about where Ecruteak City is today. Rumors flew about a terrifying demon that lived in a high mountain--Shuten-dōji. Looking at him made even the bravest samurai's blood run cold, and those who saw him never forgot it. He sometimes took human form, and carried off precious sons and beloved daughters of the High Jewel City. He would then take his captives to his castle in the wilds of the mountains, and there he would make them work as servants. Those that refused to work, or could not work any more, became Shuten-dōji's next meal."

The kids shuddered in anticipation as Brock continued "At the time this story begins, news of Shuten-dōji's terror had begun spreading far and wide. Many in Europa refused to travel to Waku because they too feared Shuten-dōji."

The vina's song turned somber. "Now at the imperial court there was an official, Kimitaka by name, who had a beautiful daughter--we will call her Ichika. One day, Ichika mysteriously vanished--and everyone in the city knew that Shuten-dōji was to blame. Kimitaka's tears soon reached the imperial ears of the Emperor..."

"Wow"s and awed murmurs filled the theater as the curtains opened on a magnificent set of an ancient throne room in a Waku of long ago. "Milord! In the night Sir Kimitaka's daughter was taken!" an actor playing a messenger called as he knelt before the actors playing the Emperor and Empress. "We believe the oni Shuten-dōji did this most heinous deed..."

The actor playing the Emperor got up from his throne with a jump. "This has gone far enough!" he cried. "Not a day goes by that I have heard of one of my subjects losing a son or daughter to that monster, and now one of my own officials cries! Is there no one in the land who will punish this demon and destroy him, and avenge the wrongs he has done to my people and this city, and so set our hearts at ease?"

He paced the throne room set for a moment. "How dare he haunt my dominions and lay hands on my people in the very precincts of my palace?"

"There are many brave warriors in my beloved's realm, but there are none so able to do your bidding as Minamoto-no-Raiko." the actress playing the Empress suggested. "Send for the knight and ask her to slay the demon. I will prepare a fine reward from the imperial treasury should she be successful!"

"A wonderful idea!" the actor playing the Emperor smiled.

He snapped, sending an actor playing a messenger into the scene. "Send word to the lady Raiko that I request her presence."

"Right away, milord!" the actor playing the messenger replied as the lights went down.

Brock appeared in a spotlight at stage right seconds later. "The Empress' wisdom proved fruitful, and before long, Raiko arrived at the palace."

The lights came up on the throne room set again. "You wished to see me, milord?" Dawn--now in a set of female Wakunese warrior's armor--asked as she knelt before the actors playing the Emperor and Empress.

"Minamoto-no-Raiko, you have no doubt heard the people cry, as many have lost a son or a daughter to that notorious oni, Shuten-dōji." the actor playing the Emperor explained. "As a lady of valor, I now ask you this--travel to Shuten-dōji's lair, and put an end to his terror."

Dawn nodded over the vina's majestic interlude. "Your Majesties, I promise I will do everything I can to slay Shuten-dōji, or die trying. But since this is a powerful oni I am facing, I need three days to plan a battle strategy, and gather supplies for the perilous journey to the fiend's lair."

"Whatever supplies you may need for the journey will be waiting for you at the South Gate in three days." the actress playing the Empress assured Dawn.

As the lights went down, a spotlight appeared on Brock in his nook at stage right. "And so, Raiko returned home to her companions, where they began formulating a battle plan. Among Raiko's companions was a brave warrior named Hitori, which means 'phoenix'. He was renowned for his courageous heart, and often clever battle strategies..."

The lights came up on a large set of a nice ancient Wakunese house. "Everyone! I'm back!" Dawn called as she arrived in the scene.

"Welcome home, Raiko-san." Misty--in deep blue female warrior's garb--smiled as she met Dawn by the house's front walk. "What have Their Majesties asked of you?"

"You all have no doubt heard of the oni Shuten-dōji..." Dawn explained. "His Majesty has asked us to travel to Shuten-dōji's mountain lair, and slay him."

Misty reared back in feigned shock. "Are you sure??? Shuten-dōji has bested even the bravest soldiers in the imperial army!"

"If Their Majesties believe I can slay such a powerful monster, I will not let them down." Dawn assured Misty. "Go rally the others, and we will discuss how best to take on an oni like Shuten-dōji."

"Yes, milady!" With that, Misty hurried inside the house set over a flowing vina melody...

Episode 32: The Sound of the Phoenix's Flute

The backstage music room rang with a bansi practicing the tune "Journey to the Aiiro City"--Ash's preferred bansi demo tune, and one of many tunes he would have to play in "A Divine Sound in the Storm". The instrument he was playing on was new to him, so he was testing the new instrument's sound before putting it through the rigors of a typical practice session.

Some applause snapped him to attention as the last calm D note faded away. "Wonderful, as always!" Dawn raved as she applauded. "How does the new thunderbolt bansi feel?"

"It takes a little more effort to play, but to be fair, I'm still getting used to this bansi." Ash admitted. "For today's practice, I'll focus on more relaxed music so I can get used to this bansi, and have an idea of its air requirements, power, and responsiveness."

Dawn nodded. "I'll leave you to practice, then--enjoy!"

Ash smiled back as his friend and co-star departed, then unearthed a CD of orchestral backing tracks. Let's try 'Journey to the Aiiro City' again with a backing track... he smiled as Tintri bounded on a nearby music stand to watch his master perform.

After mentally debating what key to play the favorite tune in for a moment, an idea occurred to Ash. Let's try this in C this time--lower notes aren't as tiring to play, so this should help me get used to this bansi.

After hitting PLAY on the CD player, he readied his instrument to play as a female voice reported "'Journey to the Aiiro City' orchestral backing track for bansi, key of C major..."

---------

Some time later, a kidi playing a beautiful and relaxed melody rang through the music room. At least the kidi's not as demanding on air requirements as the bansi is... Ash thought as he played. That, and I also have to play the kidi in our new play...

With that, he took a breath and launched into a more upbeat part of the tune. If only Brock was here--kidi and vina sounds very nice together.

"Taking a break from breaking in that new bansi, hero?" a familiar voice asked.

Ash whirled around to find Brock framed in the doorway, vina in hand. "Yeah--breaking in a new bansi takes a lot out of you the first few plays--so I'm giving the kidi some love to give my lungs a rest."

He smiled as he invited Brock to settle in. "Need to tune at all?" he asked as he retrieved the longer end blown flute with a red tassel on its bell end.

"Just some fine tuning in the high octave..." Brock assured Ash as he carefully adjusted some of his instrument's high strings with the tuning key. "Our music team came up with this nice kidi and vina arrangement of 'Making a Wish to the Full Moon' for our new play, and I was wondering if you had the kidi part down enough to try it together."

"We can try it together!" Ash replied as he thumbed the kidi sheet music back to the start of the tune, then located the fingering he needed to start on. "When you're ready."

With that, he started the relaxed melody again, with Brock providing some gentle chords in the background...

---------

Some time later, kidi and vina played a mysterious melody together. While the tune was supposed to accompany a character's dance, Ash just savored the melody he played, plus Brock's gentle accompaniment on the vina's lower strings. This is gonna sound and look nice once we add in Serena's dance to it... he thought. This is in essence Silver Delphox's character song--mysterious, and yet playful.

"That was very nice, you guys!" he heard Serena say when the song ended some moments later."

"Thanks, Serena..." Ash replied as he welcomed Serena--who was still in her training garb. "We were just practicing the music for your intro dance in Act 1..."

"Do we need to come in there and play live while you run through the dance?" Brock asked. "Or do you still need to practice the dance a little more with a recording?"

"I'd love to try it with some live instruments!" Serena smiled. "My ribbon's still back in the dance hall, so if you two wanna come over there. I'd also appreciate some practice on the Dance of the Sunlight in Act 2, Brock."

"That's gonna look beautiful once we're in full costume!" Ash smiled as he cleaned up the music room, then gathered one of his more used bansis and his kidi.

"I know--it also features an effect you don't hear on the vina that often--harmonics." Brock explained as he gathered up his vina and some sheet music. "That should add an otherwordly and mystical feel to the Dance of the Sunlight."

He next retrieved a music stand. "I'll bring a music stand for this first trip, then make another trip for the vina and my music."

"Works for me!" Ash smiled before addressing Serena. "We'll meet you in the dance hall shortly!"

"Okay--I'll let the dance trainer know you guys are coming to play some live music for me..." With that, Serena hurried down the hall, with the boys not far behind...

Episode 33: The Phoenix Takes Flight

The acrobatics complex buzzed with activity as the acrobatics crew prepared for Ash to rehearse an iconic feat in the play "The Vermilion Sun Crown". After a few tense moments, Dawn emerged in her training garb to discover some cliff setpieces, and a trampoline hidden in the floor. "Oh my..."

"We're setting up to practice a pivotal acrobatic scene during Act 3, towards the end of the play." Ash explained as he arrived in a red and gold acrobatic training costume. "This is for a jump I like to call 'The Fireball', but fans have affectionately called it 'The Sonic'. This is because it looks like you are Sonic the Zoroark building up speed as you dive down to a powerful trampoline, then rocket up to the top of a high platform, or slightly above a cliff. In the Suzaku costume or a generic phoenix costume, it looks closer to a fireball. No matter what you call it, it makes a wonderful triumphant appearance effect."

"I'm sure it does!" Dawn smiled as some of the safety team arrived to attach Ash's catch tether.

"When we do acrobatics, we take safety very seriously." Brock explained. "You know as well as I do that everyone that performs acrobatics wears a catch tether, and spotters are present at all times to rescue the performer if something happens. So if Ash misses this jump, or doesn't clear the second cliff, he's not falling very far--there are land spotters and air spotters present to help. If there's an aquatic act or water involved in acrobatics, there may be water spotters too."

"Fascinating!" Dawn smiled as she watched Ash being hoisted to the top of the left cliff to practice the jump, aware of the spotters making sure everything was set up correctly, and safety measures were in place.

"Okay--Red Phoenix, you are cleared to fly." the chief spotter reported some moments later.

Ash nodded, then leaped from the left cliff in an elegant arc. Dawn watched in amazement as he curled his spinning body into a ball, impacted the trampoline, then rocketed to the top of the right cliff! Once Ash had cleared the cliff, he unrolled his body and held his hands high like wings for a few moments before landing at the top of the right cliff, to the applause of Rona, the spotters, and the onlookers on the ground. "A beautiful flight, as always, Ash!" Rona raved as a spotter guided Ash safely to the ground.

"That...was...COOL!!!" Dawn raved as she applauded. "I can only imagine how much practice that took!"

"It wasn't easy to learn..." Ash admitted. "But the applause when I pull it off makes the long hours of training and practice worth it."

"Ready to go again?" the chief spotter smiled.

"Yeah--let's do it again." Ash replied before more spotters arrived to take him back to the left cliff to practice the jump a second time.

"Can you tell me any context about Ash's big jump?" Dawn asked as she and Brock watched the acrobatics crew set up for Ash's second attempt at the jump. "Without giving too much of the ending away, of course."

"Basically, the bad guy, Grand Drapion, taunts Ash's character that he has the titular crown, and there's nothing Ash can do to stop him." Brock explained. "This spurs Ash to jump over to the other cliff, and confront the bad guy for the fate of the crown and the martial world. That's without giving too much away, but we'll probably rehearse that scene onstage before too long."

"If I remember right, all the evil sects and the noble sects want the crown because whoever wears it rules the martial world..." Dawn remembered.

Brock nodded. "That's right. Even though Ash has done jumps like this hundreds of times, we still have to practice it so we can do it safely opening night." He let that hang as Ash went rocketing towards the trampoline again, creating a spinning ball as he rocketed up towards the right cliff.

"Is there a general idea of where Grand Drapion will be over here opening night?" Ash called down to Rona from the right cliff. "This will help me fine tune the jump."

A thoughtful look formed on Rona's face as Ash was guided back to the ground again. "You may have a point, Ash. I'll tell the set crew to put an X where Grand Drapion will be on opening night. Ideally, you should land facing the X for the big confrontation that leads to the play's final battle. But since it will take some time for us to put the X on the cliff prop, you've earned a break for the time being."

"Okay." Ash replied as he was helped out of the harness.

After stretching a little, he grinned at Dawn and Brock watching him. "So? Got any questions about how something like this is done?" he asked as some other crew members brought him some well earned water.

"Hoe exactly do you train to do this?" Dawn asked. "Just in case I need to do such a jump myself, or jump to meet you in the sky in a future play."

"Basically, start small, and work your way up." Ash explained. "You basically start by learning proper jump technique, how to control yourself in the air, and how to land safely while on wires or in a harness. Then you practice this by jumping on a small platform..."

Episode 34: A Rehearsal with Puppets

"Remember, Elena--to you, the puppets of the Four Gods, Tsukuyomi, and Amaterasu are real--just pretend we're not even here performing them." Ash reminded Elena as he emerged in black puppeteer's garb, an ornate phoenix puppet cradled in his arms.

Elena smiled at the beautiful red, orange, and yellow phoenix puppet in Ash's arms. "Can you tell the puppet workshop that they did wonderful building Suzaku and the others?"

"I'll pass the compliment along." Ash replied as Brock arrived with a gold and green Torterra puppet with an ornate black, gold, and green shell, and sparkling gold and green trees on its shell.

"Wow!" Elena was equally impressed by the ornate patterns on the Genbu puppet's shell. "I know you need a hand in his head to have him talk, but what if Genbu needs to hide in his shell for some reason?"

"The answer? Genbu's body is controlled by rods." Brock explained. "So if I need to have Genbu go inside his shell, or come out from it, all I have to do is nudge a rod hidden in his shell. So I need both hands to perform Genbu. One hand is manipulating his mouth and head, and the other is working the rods to make him walk, or go inside his shell."

"This is also how I can perform Seiryu on my own without an assistant puppeteer," Misty explained as she arrived with a beautiful blue and silver Wakunese dragon puppet elegantly coiled in her arms. "One hand is operating the head, and the other hand is using a support rod to help hold him up, or have him wag his tail."

"Okay, puppeteers, back behind the wall!" Rona called, spurring the group and some other puppeteers to hurry behind a long prop stone wall typically reserved for rehearsing scenes with puppets, or entire puppet shows.

She next briefed Elena on the scenes with each of the puppets. "Okay...for the scene with Seiryu, your goal for this scene is asking what gathering the Six Elemental Pearls will do to help stop the evil prime minister. Seiryu will tell you this, and set up your challenge for the Water Pearl."

Elena nodded, then hurried to find her script in a pile of props. "Act 1, Scene 3, right?"

Rona nodded. "I'll handle narrating for now, okay?"

---------

"Knowing that the evil prime minister could take over the throne at any moment, Ichie embarked on a great journey to inform the gods of the evil lying in wait in the imperial palace." Rona narrated. "She first traveled to the Great Eastern Sea, where Seiryu, the Blue Dragon of the East, made his watery home."

Elena trudged into the scene moments later. "What good are pearls against a great army? Shouldn't I be seeking out a sword, or a bow?" she mused.

A thought came to her. "But the Four Guardian Gods and the Celestial Sisters are much wiser than I...maybe they know how pearls can defeat evil!"

With that, she softly sang to the wall Gatrandis favel, secret, edena...
Emusto ronzen fine el balaziis...
Katoradis favel siicletu edena...
Emusto koron zen fine, si...

Rona smiled at Elena's song. "That's an interesting idea for the Swanna Song...maybe Ichie doesn't want to alert the evil prime minister as to what she's doing?"

Elena nodded. "That, and I wanted to convey how nervous and scared she is at this point."

"Also a fair interpretation of a quiet Swanna Song." Rona agreed. "Let's keep going--ready back there, Misty?"

"All ready!" Misty called back before pulling up her hood to render her completely in black, then positioning the beautiful dragon puppet in preparation for its grand entrance.

Elena watched in feigned amazement as the dragon puppet elegantly circled over the wall, then gracefully landed on the left edge of the wall, facing Elena. "Ye have called, little one, and I have come." Misty began in her best attempt at a male voice. "What brings you here to this sacred place?"

"I come out of worry and fear, Great Dragon." Elena explained, bowing in respect before the beautiful dragon puppet. "I fear there is treachery afoot in the imperial palace, yet when I look for a way to fight back, I was told to find the Six Elemental Pearls that balance the elements of the world. But this is what I don't understand--how can pearls help to defeat a fine warrior and his army?"

"It is not the pearls themselves you seek, little one, but their ki." Misty replied as Seiryu. "Just as the spring rain washes away winter's chill, the power of water will cleanse evil from wherever it lurks. But in order to prove yourself worthy of wielding ki, we must first undertake a trial. But as this is your first pearl, it is a very simple trial if you follow my instructions to the letter."

She broke character long enough to ask Rona "Should we go over Seiryu's instructions for the Lotus Walking Trial?"

"We'll skip over your summoning the lotus flowers and lily pads, and assume everything is in place for that." Rona replied. "We'll work in the summoning once we can rehearse in the main theater with the pool."

Misty nodded, then got back into character as Seiryu again. "Your trial is to follow the path of lotus flowers to the Water Pearl. So long as you only step on the lily pads with lotus flowers, only your feet will get wet. If you step on a lily pad with nothing, quite a bit more than your feet will get wet!"

"I understand, Great Dragon, and I am ready to undertake this trial." Elena confidently replied...

Episode 35: The Three Dragons on Stream

"Okay...there are the mods..." Rona smiled as a list of light green screennames filled the livestream's chat.

"all ready, GreatRainbow1." a mod typed as Rona pasted the stream's chat rules next to the chat window, in a place where all the users in the chat could see them.

"Remember to read the rules before submitting a question to GreatRainbow1 or our three guests." another mod reminded the steady stream of screennames that were populating the stream's chat.

In the real world, Ash, Serena, and Brock logged on with Rona in the chat as RubyPhoenix, GoldenDelphox, and EmeraldRaikou, respectively. "Hi, everyone--thx for joining us for our AMA stream for 'Legend of the White Dragon'!" Brock typed in the chat, his text appearing as a warm green color.

"We'll answer any questions you might have about da play itself, past plays we've done, or just what it's like as a Tawame actor." Ash typed, his text appearing as bright red.

"Within reason--please refer to the chat rules for more details on the do's and don'ts of questions." Rona's white text cautioned. "The mods and I will review any questions or comments before our stars see them."

"@GoldenDelphox--what can you tell us about da play's story without giving to much away?" a user typed.

"On the day Haku comes of age, he is told by the Elder White Dragon that he will only take his place in the set if he does a great deed of valor." Serena typed, her text appearing as a warm gold color. "Haku agrees, and sets out into the martial world. He meets Chun, Hatsu, and some other new friends, and adventure ensues from there!"

"@EmeraldRaikou--how easy or hard is it to play haku?" came another question.

"Haku is fairly easy to play." Brock typed back. "He is the calm, softspoken and wise dragon, but he can be energetic when it counts. This leads to some comical moments with @RubyPhoenix's Chun."

"@RubyPhoenix--do you get a new ::flute emoji:: for dis show?" came a question.

"yeah--here it is." Ash typed before showing a beautiful red and gold bansi to the camera, to awed chatter, awed and excited emojis, heart emojis, and like emojis in the chat.

"plzzzzz play it?" a chatter asked.

Ash happily obliged with a few playful phrases in G minor punctuated with trills, to the amazement and excitement of the chat. "@GoldenDelphox--what roles do @SapphireDragon, @JadeBeautifly, and @PearlDeerling play in da show?" a chatter asked, never mind Misty, May, and Dawn were not present to answer their colored tags.

"They play wandering heroines from different schools that help the three dragons on their journey." Serena typed back. "They are getting in some extra training atm."

"@EmeraldRaikou--is playing a dragon character harder or easier than a Raikou-born?" came a question.

"In some ways, it is harder, since Haku is very slow to anger." Brock typed back. "But there are times when Haku can--and does!--unleash his fury. (but only if Hatsu, Chun, or someone else he cares about is in danger)"

"@RubyPhoenix--was it fun pushing Brock's buttons while playing Chun?" a chatter asked.

"When we play these characters, I am very aware of Brock's limits both in character and out of character--and I try not to cross that line." Ash typed back. "You may have noticed that some of body language when we play these characters are actually subtle cues to each other to bring or dial back the energy as appropriate for the scene."

"That said, we do remember what jokes and gags go over well and what does not." Brock added in the chat. "So it is worth your time to see the play multiple times--we may have all new gags the second time around!"

"@EmeraldRaikou--how do you know which gags and jokes stay and which ones go?" a chatter wondered.

"Crowd reaction is the big one." Brock typed back. "If a joke gets a great crowd reaction, we'll include it in the next show. If the reaction is not so great, then it goes in the reject pile. If a joke goes over well the first time, but doesn't get as good a reaction the second time, we'll keep it in the rotation, and bring it out the next show. If the third time isn't the charm, it goes in the reject pile. If it gets a goof reaction the third time, we'll chalk the not-so great reaction to a tough crowd, and include it in the rotation."

"Even the best jokes sometimes get a cold reaction from a tough crowd sometimes." Ash agreed. "But tough crowd or not, the show must go on!"

Happy emojis, hearts, and like icons filled the chat in agreement. "Thank you all for the questions so far!" Rona interjected in the chat. "Our stars will be taking a quick break soon, but we still have time for a few more questions."

"Can't think of anything atm? We're here until 10 PM tonight." Serena told the chat. "So keep your questions coming, and we'll answer as many as we can."

"If we somehow don't get to your question, we'll save it for the next promo stream." Brock added, glancing at the clock on the wall to note it was almost 7 PM--the first hour of their promo stream had flown by. Maybe I should get the vina during our first break--just in case someone asks about it. he thought.

"@EmeraldRaikou--do you get to do any ::bow emoji:: in da play?" came another question.

Brock smiled at the chatter's question. "Yes--and the weapons team have made a new bow just for this play..."

Last edited:
Episode 36: Raikou Brings An Adventure to Life

The theater hummed with activity as Brock watched a few digital backgrounds appear on the screen at the back of the stage. "That's beautiful!" he smiled as the crew Rotoms projected the backdrop of a lotus pond populated by red lotuses.

[The script doezzzzzzn't say what color of lotuses are in the pond Exalted Lotus carezzzz for, so we made them red azzzzz a hint she playzzzzz a major role in the play'zzzzzz story.] Fara buzzed. [Or would you like the lotuses a different color?]

"I think the real question we should be asking is what color of lotus Dawn wants to see in the lotus pond." Brock replied. "This is where her character lives and trains, after all."

Dawn emerged from backstage some moments later. "It's a little weird having you as the director for a change, but if Rona thought you could handle the challenges of directing, I'm not complaining!"

"You're doing great directing so far!" Misty agreed as she arrived onstage. "Almost better than Rona!"

"Well, Rona's here to help just in case I need help, or you guys manage to stump me with a question." Brock assured Misty, acknowledging Rona in the audience with a nod.

He addressed Dawn again. "Are you okay with red lotuses in the lotus pond, or would you like a different color? I can change the name of the pond if you want a different color..."

"May and I agreed that since we are playing sisters with flower titles, that our flowers be the same color--to signal we are sisters." Dawn explained. "So I wonder what purple lotuses would look like?"

Awed murmurs filled the theater as the lotuses on the digital backdrop turned from red to purple. [Thatzzzzzz even better than our idea!] Fara raved. The other crew Rotoms buzzed happily in agreement.

May emerged from backstage in time to see the purple lotus pond. "Oh, wow! That's pretty! I can't wait to see the lily field with purple lilies too!"

[We're working on the lily field...] a crew Rotom assured May.

"For now, I plan to go over the titular promise scene before we block Dawn's scene in the lotus pond." Brock explained to May. "We'll do the lily field once its data is saved and uploaded to the digital set repository, okay?"

"Okay!" May smiled. "We'll go get measured for our costumes while you work with Ash, Misty, and Serena..."

Brock nodded before calling "I need Blue Aurora and our two leads!..."

---------

Brock motioned for Ash, Misty, and Serena to gather around him. "Now...this is the most important scene in the whole play--with Blue Aurora as their witness, Scarlet Phoenix and Violet Delphox make a promise at the foot of Verdant Sky Mountain to protect the martial world, no matter what. Blue Aurora also adds that she will do what she can to support our heroes. Violet Delphox wonders where they need to begin in their current mission to find the Twin Flowers of the New Spring--May and Dawn's characters. Blue Aurora explains that Exalted Lotus calls Purple Bloom Pond home, and Exalted Lilly lives in the Star Lilly Valley."

"Makes sense to me!" Ash mused as he read over the scene in his script.

Brock spotted Fara at stage right. "Is the Verdant Sky Mountain set uploaded yet?"

[One lush, green mountain set, coming up!] Fara buzzed before projecting a backdrop of a lush green mountain and the surrounding valley.

"It's a start, but we need to be at the foot of the mountain for the play's pivotal scene..." Brock assured Fara.

[No problem!] Fara buzzed before projecting a backdrop of the foot of a lush, green mountain. [Some mist or fog would be a nice touch!]

"We'll try it without the fog first, then go from there." Brock replied.

He addressed Ash, Misty, and Serena. "Okay...let's take Act 1, Scene 6 from the top--the big promise scene."

Ash nodded, then found his first line in the scene. "After all that's happened in the last few days, I fear for the Twin Flowers and all the other noble sects in the martial world. But if no one stands against the tide of evil, who will?

"Verdant Sky Mountain is revered as 'the Mountain of Promises'." Serena agreed. "If a promise is made here, it will never be broken. So let us promise to be lights to the world in these troubled times."

"Let me stand as witness to your promise, and lend you whatever help I can to fulfill it." Misty interjected.

Ash nodded, took Serena's hand in his, then both said together "Here before the green of the verdant sky, and before this faithful witness, we promise to protect those that cannot protect themselves, rescue the oppressed, stand for the truth and justice, and judge evil in whatever form it may present itself, both now, and the days to come."

"So it is..." Serena said alone.

"...and so it shall be." Ash finished the promise speed before looking over at Brock. "How's that?"

"I liked saying the promise together rather than trading lines, like the script says to do." Brock smiled. "My only quibble is being careful not to race through it. This is a solemn vow you are making, remember, so be aware of how fast you both are talking."

He looked over at Rona in the audience. "Rona? Anything you want to add?"

"Try to maintain a steady volume, too." Rona suggested. "You will be having background music as you make the promise, so be sure to speak loud enough to be heard over the music."

A thoughtful look formed on Brock's face. "Let me go find some epic music on MyTube to stand in for the orchestra for the time being--so you guys can practice saying the promise over music..."

Last edited:
Episode 37: The Six Wondrous Costumes

The backstage area of the Kagayou's main theater was electric as the members of the Niji Troupe arrived to get their costumes for their latest play--"Nine Wondrous Miracles". Every once in a while, the chatter would be interrupted by the call of one of the costume crew, or awed gasps and compliments when someone emerged from the dressing room.

"Okay, I need Scarlet Beautifly!" Ash heard the call of one of the costume crew, sending May hurrying inside the costume fitting area to get her costume.

He balked when May emerged in a beautiful red, orange, and gold robe with Beautifly wing designs. "How do I look?" she asked, giddily twirling in the robe.

"That looks amazing!" Ash raved. "I can't wait to see you fight in it!"

Serena was next to emerge in a amber, orange, and gold outfit and a Delphox ear headband. "Like it?"

Ash nodded. "You look great as Amber Delphox, Serena!"

Even Serena had to gasp as Misty emerged in an ornate light blue, pale green, and silver outfit that evoked crystal. "Wow! Misty, you look great!"

"Thanks..." Misty smiled. "The costume crew outdid themselves once again. It seems every play we do, they find a way to top the previous play's costumes."

Even Ash couldn't help gawking as another troupe member emerged in an elaborate black and red costume that evoked a rose. "Whoa...Dark Blossom will be pretty and powerful! All the more reason I'm looking forward to fighting her in the play!"

"I'm looking forward to fighting you too, Ash!" the girl called back. "Bring your A game when we clash in Act 3!"

Ash nodded. "I'll bring more than that--I'm bringing my S game!"

"Okay, I need Jade Phoenix!" The costume crew snapped Ash back to reality.

"Coming!" Ash called as he made his way into the costume fitting area...

---------

"Tie on the sash, here..." a costume crew member mused as she carefully tied on the green and gold sash that completed the shimmering pale green, green, and gold costume Ash now wore. "And there we are! The jade phoenix is ready to rise!"

"This is beautiful!" Ash smiled as he admired himself in the mirror.

"Go on, walk around in it!" another crew member asked. "Let us see if this outfit will hold up to all the acts you have to do!"

Ash nodded, then strolled around the room, periodically looking at the mirror to see how his costume looked from different angles, and in different lighting. "It fits wonderfully--I like how it almost glows in bright light."

"Before you go back out to your companions, there's still one thing Jade Phoenix needs..." a prop crew member began before presenting Ash with a shimmering pale green bansi with phoenix designs. "He needs his flute."

"Oh, wow!" Ash smiled, amazed at the instrument's beauty. After taking the bansi from the prop crew member, he decided to play the introduction to "Journey to the Aiiro City" to test out the new bansi's sound. "It sounds as beautiful as it looks!"

"Enjoy it!" the prop crew member smiled as she watched the costume crew welcome another troupe member. "I can't wait to hear how it sounds onstage!"

---------

Serena led the gawking as Ash emerged from the fitting area in his costume, playing his new bansi all the while. "And there is the hero!"

"You look amazing, Ash!" Misty raved as Ash modeled his costume for his amazed companions, complete with brandishing his bansi like a sword.

Dawn emerged from the fitting area just in time to see Ash playing a few scale exercises around the D major scale to demonstrate his new instrument. "That sounds wonderful, Ash!"

"The prop crew made it just for me." Ash replied as he admired Dawn's purple and lavender costume with colorful flower decor. "You look great yourself..."

"I wasn't sure how other colors would look on a purple or lavender outfit at first, but this looks surprisingly good!" Dawn smiled as she admired the colorful flower trim on her costume.

"Now only Brock is left..." Misty smiled. "He should be going into or coming out of the fitting area any time now..."

She smiled when she saw Brock emerge in an ornate bright green and gold outfit with pale green sleeves. "There he is..."

"How does it look?" Brock asked. "Bright enough to be worthy of Bright Raikou?"

"That looks SO much better than the Shiny Raikou inspired design they were gonna make you wear..." Dawn replied.

"Yeah, Rona vetoed the costume crew's original idea very fast." Brock agreed. "I will say this is miles ahead of that orange and gold nightmare."

Ash stifled a giggle at a memory at the original costume Brock had been planned to wear. "Any brighter, and you would've been playing a phoenix born!"

Everyone laughed at the thought of Brock in one of Ash's costumes. "Believe it or not, I wouldn't mind trying to play a phoenix-born--if we find the right play." Brock admitted. "But for now, we'll let Ash bring the phoenixes to life in our plays."

Some gentle laughter got the group's attention as Rona approached the group. "You have the potential to play a phoenix-born character, Brock--and some Raikou-born characters actually rival the phoenix for their energy..."

"An energetic Raikou-born would be a nice compromise..." Brock admitted. "But for now, let's focus on making 'Nine Wondrous Miracles' a success!" Everyone cheered in agreement...

Episode 38: A Shimmering, Sparkling, Stream

"Wow..." Serena gasped when she saw that their newly released TV show was #1 in Waku, and in the top 10 globally on Pokeflix. "'Shimmering, Sparkling, Stories' is trending on Pokeflix all around the world--and glowing reviews as well."

"That's great news..." Rona smiled. "People have been asking for not just Tawame plays on Netflix, but something exploring what you guys experience behind the scenes. I think we've captured that with 'Shimmering, Sparkling, Stories'--the good, the bad, and occasionally the ugly that goes on behind the scenes to create the Theater of Dreams. I was very clear with the crew about not creating artificial drama, and they respected that request; but still managed to show the world that getting a play onstage isn't always easy."

"It goes without saying that we've safely managed to net ourselves a Season 2 at least..." Dawn agreed.

"The beauty of each episode is that it is a snapshot of the rehearsal process or a performance, so the audience sees both what goes on onstage, and what it took behind the scenes to do that." Brock explained. "Each episode is a spotlight on one play, so we potentially have enough material for hundreds of seasons--for as long as the audience wants to watch, anyway."

"When will the crew be back?" Misty smiled as she joined the group in the room. "Ash is chomping at the bit to start filming Season 2."

Rona just giggled. "Season 1 will air over the fall and the winter, and the crew will be back sometime in January to start filming Season 2, for a March premiere. But that means we have time to think about what plays from our upcoming schedule we want to feature in Season 2."

"The New Year's play would make a great premiere..." Serena suggested. "Kinda like how we ended Season 1 on this year's Sunnies and the aftermath of that while still juggling rehearsals and performances."

"'The Beacon of the Phoenix'!" May suggested as she hurried in the room. "I'm sure our audience would like seeing how the titular beacon works, and Ash's flyover!"

"Ash was heartbroken he didn't get to show off any flyovers during Season 1..." Misty remembered. "Showcasing a flyover and what it takes to do one safely would easily kick off Season 2 with a bang, if we went with that for a premiere."

"I wouldn't mind getting sword training filmed for 'The Six Swords Protect the People'." Brock suggested. "This way, people know that A. yes I CAN wield a sword, and wield one just as well as a bow, and B. said sword training is not always easy."

"People may know you best as an archer, but you're not too bad a swordsman either." Serena assured Brock. "Regardless of whether it's a Western sword or a Wakunese sword."

"If I had the choice, I would rather wield a Western sword--they are a little more weightier than a typical one handed Wakunese sword, and easier for me to control." Brock explained. "If we were pitting a katana against a Western sword, that's different. This is not to say that one handed Wakunese swords are bad--some of the ones I've wielded in some of our plays were on par with a Western style sword, and Ash easily wields them in every show."

"Speaking of swordplay, I'm looking forward to wielding one in 'Gentle Moon Destroys the Darkness'." Dawn replied. "That episode could easily showcase why everyone wants Ash to teach them when they need to learn swordplay for a role."

"Did we do an episode on Ash's flutes?" May wondered. "If not, there's another topic for Season 2--not just the bansi and kidi, but the Western concert flute, the Pokeflute, and tin whistle."

The group snapped to attention by the flourish of a familiar tin whistle. "You needed me?" Ash smiled as he joined the others in the room, a well loved silver tin whistle with a green mouthpiece in his hands.

"Our Pokeflix TV show is a hit!" Serena explained. "So we were discussing what topics and plays we could feature in Season 2, and your collection of flutes came up."

"I'd be honored to show the crew my collection--and how all those flashy solos aren't all that flashy at first." Ash smiled before pocketing the whistle.

He balked in surprise at the Pokeflix main page on Serena's profile, which had the show's tile prominently displayed. "Whoa...#1 in Waku, and in the top 10 globally? Now we really have to work hard to make Season 2 just as good, if not better, than Season 1!"

"My understanding is that Season 2--and beyond--will be 26 episodes, just like Season 1, with a new episode each week." Rona explained. "So, as the Niji Troupe's yuushi, what would you like to show the crew in Season 2, Ash?"

"What goes into a flyover, and the Sonic..." Ash suggested. "Just acrobatic training, period...insights on the puppet crew, and how Aizen the Greninja works--potentially with a POV of what I see from Greninja-Vision."

"That would be interesting!" Misty agreed. "These are way more advanced than your average 'Sesamon Street' full bodies, so I'm sure the audience would like to see what it's like performing Aizen or Ken."

"If we haven't featured a showcase play yet, that's another possible idea for Season 2..." Ash suggested.

"All wonderful ideas, everyone--I'll pass them on to the crew." Rona told the group. "In the meantime, keep thinking of ideas.

Ash nodded. "Let's make Season 2 even better than Season 1!" The others cheered in agreement...

Episode 39: Let's Go On An Adventure!

The main theater hummed with activity as the Niji Troupe convened to rehearse "The Loyal Young Companion". "Okay, Chance...this is the scene where you and Elena tell us why you're on your adventure--you want to find your mom and dad, who have been kidnapped by the Evil Lotus Sect." Ash explained as he and Chance arrived onstage. "Brock tells you that in order to do that, you'll need to find the eight pieces of the Token of the Rainbow, so the Evil Lotus' dark arts won't hurt you."

"Okay, I need our young guests and our stars!" Chance heard Rona call.

"Just a sec!" Chance assured Rona before dashing backstage. "Let me get something to stand in for a costume!"

"How do I look?" Elena asked as she emerged in a deep brown jacket that evoked a Litleo's fur.

"That works nicely as a temporary costume." Ash smiled as Chance arrived wearing an orange and gold hat that evoked a Growlithe.

"Yes, that will do perfectly." Rona agreed as she motioned for Chance and Elena to come closer. "This is a key scene in the play--while you're both still heartbroken by your parents being kidnapped, I want to see your courage and resolve in trying to find them, okay?

Chance nodded. "I'll do my best, Ms. Rona."

"Me too!" Elena agreed before setting Vanille on the stage floor. "Go play quietly backstage while I'm rehearsing, okay?"

Rona watched Elena's faithful Eevee romp backstage, then addressed the group. "Now then, let's go over the scene where Scarlet Growlithe and Jeweled Litleo learn what it will take to rescue their parents. So Ash, will you start from your line after you guys finish introducing your characters?"

Ash nodded. "Now that the introductions are finished, what brings the two of you here to our hideaway?"

"Our parents were taken by the Evil Lotus Sect..." Elena explained, a note of sadness in her voice.

"...and we're going to try to find them, and save them!" Chance announced.

"A noble goal indeed, but you realize that the way to the Evil Lotus' lair will require a long quest?" Brock interjected. "In order to safely infiltrate the lair, you two will need to find the eight pieces of the Token of the Rainbow. This way, the Evil Lotus' dark arts will not harm you or or parents."

"This token is so powerful, it was shattered into pieces." May agreed. "Each piece is protected well from those unworthy to take them."

"Surely the guardians would understand why we had to take them?" Elena asked.

"They may, but they are still bound by duty to test those that come." Misty explained. "But wanting to rescue your parents should be a worthy reason to assemble the token."

Elena nodded. "No matter how far we have to go..."

"No matter what trials and dangers we have to face..." Chance agreed.

"...we will do everything we can to save Mom, Dad, and the martial world, or die trying!" Elena vowed.

"If this is what you wish to do, we won't try to stop you." Dawn replied.

"We will do everything we can to help you on your long journey, and make sure you do not face your foes unprepared." Serena agreed. "As the old saying goes, no great hero ever fought alone."

"But before we embark on a long journey, you must first know thy enemy, and know him well." Brock began.

"All right, let's stop here for a moment..." Rona motioned for the scene to stop. "First, I like your enthusiasm when you make your promise. Elena, I liked that you tried to signal some sadness in your first line, but you want to be careful you do not sound bored, tired, or indifferent. Losing your parents still stings for your characters, but I know that it's hard not to take your characters' emotions too far the other way--into melodrama. Can you try to balance your character's sadness with some confidence?"

"Okay!" Elena replied before making a note in her script. "A little sad, but trying to make a good impression..."

[Why would you be sad?] Vanille asked as she trotted back onstage, with Chance's Pikachu Storm not far behind.

"See, Chance and me play a brother and sister trying to rescue their mom and dad from the bad guys." Elena explained to her Eevee. "So at this point in the play, they're trying to be strong for Ash's character, but there's still some lingering sadness. The hard part is trying not to make my first line sound bored, but at the same time not playing it melodramatic, either."

"Okay, everyone! let's try the start of the quest giving scene again!" Elena heard Rona call.

"Gotta go--you and Storm be good back there, okay?" Elena smiled as she picked up her script, then hurried to rejoin the others...

---------

Ash waited for Rona to give the cue, then started the first part of the scene. "Now that the introductions are finished, what brings the two of you here to our hideaway?"

"Our parents were taken by the Evil Lotus Sect..." Elena explained, complete with a soft feigned sniffle.

"...and we're going to try to find them, and save them!" Chance announced.

"A noble goal indeed, but you realize that the way to the Evil Lotus' lair will require a long quest?" Brock interjected. "In order to safely infiltrate the lair, you two will need to find the eight pieces of the Token of the Rainbow. This way, the Evil Lotus' dark arts will not harm you or or parents."

"This token is so powerful, it was shattered into pieces." May agreed. "Each piece is protected well from those unworthy to take them."

"Surely the guardians would understand why we had to take them?" Elena asked.

"They may, but they are still bound by duty to test those that come." Misty explained. "But wanting to rescue your parents should be a worthy reason to assemble the token."

Elena nodded. "No matter how far we have to go..."

"No matter what trials and dangers we have to face..." Chance agreed.

"...we will do everything we can to save Mom, Dad, and the martial world, or die trying!" Elena vowed, to Rona's smile and nod of approval...

Episode 40: Acting Lessons in Scarlet and Violet

"Welcome to the acting practice room, Liko and Roy..." Ash smiled as he led a black haired girl in a teal leotard and white tights, and a maroon haired boy in a matching form fitting shirt and black leggings into a practice room. "While we usually do acting practice out on the stage, sometimes we will come in here to better refine our acting before we practice onstage."

"He turned business like again as the others arrived. "Is there anything about your roles you don't understand, or any part of Tawame acting you don't understand?

"What does the director mean when she says our characters' movement is stylized?" Liko wondered.

"Unlike a lot of Western plays, where a character might introduce themselves with a monologue or a song, you can tell a lot about a character in a Wakunese play by how they move, what others say about them, and how they interact with the world." Ash explained before consulting his script. "We are told at the start of this scene that Citrine Braviary 'moves like the wind' with grace and power. Based on that information, how do you think someone like that would walk up to someone like a martial arts master and bow in respect?'

Serena watched as Liko briskly jogged to Ash and politely bowed down on one knee in respect. "That's a start, but remember where the play is taking place..."

With Serena occupied working with Liko, Roy thumbed through his script a little. "The script keeps referring to something called the 'martial world'--what IS that, exactly?"

"In a lot of martial arts stories, the global community of martial artists--both good and evil--is considered to be a world unto its own--this is basically what we mean when we refer to 'the martial world'. Brock explained. "Depending on the origin of the story you're reading, you might see it referred to as 'the jianghu', 'the murim', or in the case of Wakunese stories, it is called "the ryokurin"--literally 'the green forest'. But for simplicity's sake, we prefer to call it 'the martial world'."

"I see..." Roy smiled before thumbing back to the scene Serena and Liko were working on. "My character is said to be 'a guardian of the martial world'..."

"Just a sec..." Brock hurried over to a closet, and threw on a black master's robe with green trim and a Raikou kanji on the chest over his training garb. "Based on what you know about Indigo Mightyena, how do you think he would walk into the dojo's main hall and bow before the master?"

Roy admired the Raikou kanji on Brock's robe for a moment. "I'll just pretend you're the master for a sec.."

"Fitting, since Brock is a real martial arts master." May smiled as Roy got into position.

Once he got the cue to start his walk, Roy strolled up to Brock, then bowed respectfully before him on one knee.

"Not bad for a first try, but I see room for improvement." Brock smiled as Roy got up. "First, the martial arts style of a bow is not the same as bowing before the League Champion or royalty. Bowing is about more than respect in the martial arts world. It means both sides are ready, and it conveys thanks after a good duel. So you don't need to get down on your knees."

"Okay, so no kneeling..." Roy reminded himself before confidently strolling and bowing before Brock again. He reared back in surprise when he saw Brock bend down a little when returning his bow. "Wait...why did you start to kneel when you returned my bow?"

"It's actually a specific type of bow that teachers and senior students use before junior students." Brock explained. "I do it all the time with my own students."

"Oh"s filled the room at this. "The more you do exercises like this, the easier it will be to get into character." Misty assured Liko and Roy as they continued practicing the walk and bow...

---------

After practicing the walk and bow character exercise for a while, Brock looked over at Ash. "Okay if we go over speaking and singing next?"

"Yeah, those two skills are related in the Tawame theater." Ash agreed. "You can keep your master uniform on to play Green Raikou in this scene--our costumes are still being made right now."

He next addressed Liko and Roy " Like the zarzuelas of your homeland, music is the heartbeat of a Tawame show, so it is no surprise that speaking and singing go hand in hand. In fact, it's not unheard of for a character to sing in the middle of dialogue, or entire story beats to be conveyed in a song."

"When we do sing in the middle of dialogue, it's usually a capella--no instruments." Brock explained. "You might get a little percussion to give you a sense of the beat, but otherwise, no instruments. The only exceptions are A. an instrument is part of your character, or B. it is a very important song in the story."

"But usually, you'll practice with a piano before we take the instruments away." Serena assured Liko and Roy.

Dawn looked at the clock on the wall in the room. "Let's take a break for now--we've all worked hard!"

Roy took a moment to admire the ornate white, blue, and silver flute by Ash's side. "That's a nice instrument..."

"This is a bansi, a sideblown flute that is traditionally the hero's instrument in the Tawame and Gekijou theater." Ash explained as he showed his instrument to Liko and Roy. "It is famous for its high and piercing sound--you definitely know it when you hear it!"

With that, he started a festive melody, spurring Liko to laugh with delight as the music rang through the room...

Back
Top Bottom