• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

Oh, boy, here we go again. Ran into a shiny Cufant while exploring the mines near the Steel Titan. I was engaged in battle with a Lokix when it passed by in the background, making me do a double-take. I quickly ran away from the Lokix and engaged with the shiny Cufant. One burn and a Repeat Ball and it was caught. Then I went back to the Lokix, since I needed it for data. But this is getting ridiculous. Five shinies in the span of four days? What did I do to gain the shiny gods' favor to deserve this? Because this is rather unusually good luck for me.

Forgive the double post, but another day, another shiny. After taking yesterday off (largely due to errands), I booted up Scarlet again. And I ran into a shiny Donphan near the auction port town. It nearly got away since a Deerling got in front of me when I tried to engage it in a battle but I was able to run away and then catch the Donphan. That's my 6th shiny in this playthrough. And all of them were full odds and such. This is getting scary, as my luck is rarely this good. What did I do to earn the shiny gods' favor? Is it because I subscribed to the Poketuber PM7, since he's rather notorious for finding shinies like mad? He does say that subscribing to him will make you find more shinies. Hmm... :unsure:

Today being my birthday, I decided to try my luck on my ongoing shiny Noibat hunt in Violet. While I was running around, I noticed a yellow Grumpig. Not the shiny I was searching for, but I will treasure my birthday pig regardless. :bulbaLove:
(This also means that all three shiny Pokémon I've found in Violet I found while looking for something other than the shiny. Go figure.)

Okay, so it's story time.

This has been a long time in the making. Back in Sun and Moon, about 6 months after I obtained my first successfully hunted shiny, I decided I wanted to try my hands at Masuda hunting. I did a few Masuda hunts, all of which weren't too bad. In fact, none of them even hit odds. I got a Rowlet, Mudkip, and a Dedenne (who I did loose, but reclaimed a few years later through Dynamax Adventures). After I finished my Dedenne hunt, I decided I wanted to hunt Shiny Popplio. In fact, I wanted all 3 stages of the line. So I started doing Masuda in it in my copy of Sun, starting around August 2017. I knew that I had been lucky in my previous egg hunts, so I wasn't surprised when I passed 350 eggs and hadn't seen a shiny yet (my previously longest egg hunt had been Dedenne at 306). Then I started hitting odds, still not seeing any shinies, and the numbers just kept climbing. At around 1000 eggs, the end seemed nowhere in sight, and I took a hiatus from the hunt.

Sword and Shield came around about a year after I went on a break from the hunt, and I later learned that Popplio would be able to be transferred to the game, so I decided to start my old hunt back up. Since there were two nurseries in Galar, I switched between hunting Popplio and the more recent water starter, Sobble. I went another 200ish eggs for Popplio (and around 400 for Sobble), and neither of the two decided to shine. Around November 2020, after I got bored of Dynamax Adventures, I took another break from shiny hunting, not picking it back up till Legends Arceus, and didn't even touch egg hunts again till Scarlet and Violet.

Then, it was revealed that all of the previous-gen starters would be available in the Indigo Disk DLC. I was almost 1000 eggs into my Sprigatito hunt, and when I saw that not only would I be able to see Popplio again in Scarlet and Violet, but be able to hunt it not via Masuda, I was so freaking happy. After going for so long with Sprigatito, I knew I was not ready to go back to Masuda for Popplio. And I didn't have to. About an hour ago I checked to see what my outbreaks were for the day, saw I had a Popplio outbreak, and knew I would be hunting it all day if I had to. And I didn't have to. Only 30 minutes after I reached the best odds (without a shiny sandwich), I finally found my little Suds the Shiny Popplio, and I love him so much.

I'll continue to outbreak hunt for the other two in the line for sure, but maybe one day I'll go back to egg hunting for this little guy. For now, though, I'm just glad I don't have to.

Oh man I have been going on a spree for about the last week. I made some key discoveries about the Mass Outbreak system that have really allowed me to game the system and get almost any shiny I want (basically, you can save mid-outbreak and keep your chain after resetting, and you can also leave and re-enter the outbreak area to respawn a different set of Pokemon without breaking the chain), and I've obtained literally dozens of them recently. It's almost laughably broken to the point where I get just about anything from a Mass Outbreak within about an hour of getting them and you have to wonder if Game Freak specifically intended to hand out shinies like candy. Let me see if I can name all of the Pokemon I've gotten recently:

Hawlucha
Drednaw
Dreepy
Mudbray
Krokorok
Snorunt
Flygon
Bagon
Hisuian Qwilfish
Solosis
Talonflame
Scizor
Tentacruel
Noctowl
Nuzleaf
Lurantis
Morgrem
Trevenant
Sandslash

And that's NOT even counting all of the Flabebe, Litwick, and Milcery I got from the last outbreak event.

I'm going to have practically a shiny living dex at this rate.

Okay I've been racking up tons of shinies lately, but this one is notable. Got full odds shiny Crabrawler and Luvdisc in the span of about 2 minutes. That's close to a literal one in a million chance of that happening.

EDIT: And got the Shiny Finizen and Shiny Excadrill I was hunting for in addition to those 2, although those took much longer. Still a good haul today.

Last edited:
Have been getting every Outbreak Shiny as they come by (All Florges colors, All Alcremie SWEETS, not swirls, I'm not THAT stupid), These events are really fun and give more of a reason to come back.
2024010121165700-B6CE40797459B0890BF7CEF68A4CE587.jpg
This Jangmo-o I actually got 10 minutes before it turned to 2024, so it's probably the one with the most sentimental value to me.

I also got a Shiny Sobble recently during the new Pokemon Masters event, sadly the Galar Starter Eggmons are far less useful than the previous Paldea Starter Eggmons gameplay wise, and can't evolve, but it's still cool to have.

I need to keep a shiny diary so that my posts are a little more interesting than they've been. I need to record what I was thinking, what the Pokemon's level and nature were, what I nicknamed them. How did I react? What game was I playing? Was I super crabby because it was an old game and now I had to begin the nightmarish process of moving them to HOME?

I don't shiny hunt. I don't Masuda. I very rarely complete the National Dex, so I don't get shiny charms. And yet. AND YET.

I managed to catch three shinies in Pokemon Violet.

The first was a Psyduck at the end of a bridge early on in the game. It was so perfectly placed, I was sure it was a scripted event. It wasn't.

The second was an Impidimp. I'm still surprised I could recognize it as a shiny, because I'm not too familiar with that line, and I wasn't even entirely sure it was a shiny. But when I checked my game, sure enough!

The third was a Wiglett, which I foolishly evolved into a Wugtrio. Why was this foolish? Because if I kept it as a Wiglett, and caught another shiny Wiglett, I can just evolve one into Wugtrio. But because I evolved it, if I find another shiny Wugtrio, I can't de-evolve it into a Wiglett.

Oh, well. I'm still happy.

Managed to catch two shinies yesterday. The first one was a Zubat (again) in a horde in Meteor Falls in Omega Ruby. Caught him in a Dusk Ball and learned he was Bold. The second one was a Wingull in a horde on Route 12 in Y. Caught her in a Net Ball. She is Bashful. Interestingly enough, I did encounter a shiny Wingull in the same game earlier, albeit on Route 8, but ended up defeating it due to accidentally clicking Cut and not False Swipe. Earlier in December, I encountered a shiny Hoppip on Route 7 in a horde in X and caught it in a Repeat Ball. It has a Hasty nature.

Admittedly a tad behind the ball on this one, given that it happened a couple weeks ago, but I think the story's kinda cute so I'm telling it anyway.
Playing the Violet DLC, already cleared Teal Mask, where having caught a Flapple and, of course, Ogerpon, I figured I didn't really feel the need to catch any new Pokemon for Indigo Disk. And then, pretty much as soon as I get control back over my character in the Terrarium there's a green Doduo just standing there, staring at me. At which point I think "Ok, the universe is clearly trying to tell me something re: catching new Pokemon for this DLC", so I hucked a ball and it was done.

Anyway that was Dobie, they're a Dodrio now and I took them through the whole rest of the game. They... Weren't great in the extemely doubles-focused DLC, I'll admit. Very squishy in a setting where that's a lot more troublesome than usual, but it was fun having them around, they're still, like, outrageously powerful for as long as they live, and I love them, they are my boy.

Found an adorable shiny Golet in The Indigo Disk (V) today. I quick balled it immediately and added it to my team, in steed of my much overleveled Garchomp and Skeledirge. Then, I evolved it with two Xp candy L
Aw, congratulations! They are so adorable!

Managed to catch a few shiny Voltorb during the outbreaks, along with a couple of shiny Hisuian Voltorb. While trying to get to an outbreak, I spotted and caught a random shiny Hoppip.

DLC wise: I was using the Synchro Machine with my Golurk, Riser--I had to bring him over to Paldea--and spotted a yellow Charmander while trying to defeat ten Pokémon in auto battle. Managed to jump out of Sync, raced to the spot, avoided a homicidal Doduo, and caught the little bugger. Named him "Lucky". Not half an hour later, a shiny Rhyhorn literally ran into me and I caught it.

Like, my least favorite starter is Charmander and Violet decides to randomly fart out a shiny one, knowing that I have to catch it...

I finally completed the Paldea Dex and got the Shiny Charm, so I decided to test my luck on the Pokeball-themed mons event yesterday. I had defeated around 20 Voltorb but then accidentally turned on the Internet, so the event was lost forever. :cry: But not everything was bad news, since I did found a Shiny Hoppip! It's one of the easiest to spot so I had my sight fixed on it since the game released and it feels good to have one.

So far during my playthrough of Violet, I’ve encountered 3 shinies. One was a Cacnea, which I accidentally KO’d, and the others were a Murkrow and an Applin, both of which I successfully caught.

I actually gave away my shiny Murkrow and Applin via Wonder Trade, because I was feeling generous and the thought of surprising someone with a legit shiny that way puts a smile on my face. :bulbaLove:

So I completed another big hunt today, and I want to talk about it.

This was probably the most insane hunt I have ever attempted and will ever do again. I was going crazy over it, so much so I thought there was something wrong with the coding of the shiny odds. But there wasn't i was just really unlucky. Here's the story.

Back around the time when Legends Arceus came out, I came up with 3 ideas for major hunts in the game, 3 I've mentioned on this forum before. I wanted to get a Shiny Alpha Ninetales (specifically the one by the volcano, but I wasn't going to be too picky), a Shiny Rowlet either from Space Time Distortions or Massive Mass Outbreaks, and 9 Shiny Eevee, one for each Eeveelution. I started the hunts sometime during the next few months, and claimed my Rowlet in June, and my Ninetales in August of that year. In the Ninetales hunt, I mentioned I was thinking about just combining my two Eeveelution hunts, one from Sun and Moon, and this current one, because I was just ready to be done with it. But I didn't end up giving up, I kept going.

From March 2022 to November 2022 I did countless runs through the Obsidian Fieldlands and the Cobalt Coastlands, searching for 9 cute little shiny Eevees. I knew this hunt would take awhile and I'd probably phase a lot, but I never expected to go as long as I actually did. In those 8 months, I found 8 shiny Eevees, and about 5 other boxes of phases. Nearly a whole box of these phases were Bidoof, and I had nearly another full box of Aipoms and Ambipoms. This hunt was absolutely grueling. Of course I checked every Eevee outbreak I found, but in the end, I only found 1 Eevee from an outbreak. My odds were as high as they could be, the dex entry was perfected and I had the shiny charm, and still, Shiny Eevee rarely showed their face. By the original end of the hunt, I'm pretty sure I hadn't seen one for 2 months. So I ended it there. Scarlet and Violet were less than a week from release, and I didn't think I'd ever want to go back to this crazy hunt. One of my best friends gifted me a shiny Eevee of hers, and I decided to accept that as my final Eevee of the hunt, so I ended it. I evolved up all of the Eevees I had obtained throughout the months, did a little photo shoot with them, and went on to play Scarlet and Violet.

But there was still a part of me that wasn't satisfied. Sure, I had all 9, but I hadn't completed the hunt on my own. I had help from a friend. So, I decided I'd never mention it. It didn't feel the best, but it was okay. I had a whole new game to hunt in. Heck, I even took on the challenge in a different way in Scarlet and Violet, finding each eeveelution in their evolved from via Mas Outbreaks, and I completed it in a month. It was a nice little redemption, and with that, my mind was mostly clear. Still, whenever I went back to Arceus, I couldn't help but do those shiny Eevee runs, just in case.

Flash forward over a year past the end date of the crazy Eevee hunt, Legends ZA was announced, and I was hyped. In my excitement for a new Legends game, I decided I wanted to replay Legends Arceus for the fourth time (technically I didn't finish the third), but I wanted to change it up a bit. My first run of Scarlet was the first time I had ever successfully hunted for a shiny team member, so why not have a whole team of shinies? I know this challenge will take a while, but it will be a nice thing to fall back on. So, I got to it, deciding that I would have one team member for each area, and the last one could be from any area. In Obsidian Fieldlands I got a random Shinx, which was my target as Shinx makes a pretty good starter, and after calming Lord Kleavor I moved on to the Crimson Mirelands. I caught several Pokemon in the Mirelands, then went to work, switching between running around and hoping for a random one and resetting for outbreaks in the area, crossing my fingers that either Teddiursa or Lilligant would show up. I was in the middle of doing resets when an Eevee outbreak popped up in the Fieldlands so I did it, knowing I could still take another Fieldlands Pokemon if I got one, but thinking I wouldn't, knowing my atrocious luck with Eevee Outbreaks. I saved upon entering, ran over to the outbreak, and slowly galloped back and forth over the outbreak to clear it away. I was about to get my face wrecked by an Alpha who had decided to team up with the nearby Alpha Rapidash when suddenly I heard it, the sparkle sound. I swung my camera around, saw it, and dropped my controller, watching in disbelief as it ran away like the others did. I had finally done it.

Sure, it was on a different file, and it's definitely not going to be with the others as I intend to use it during this playthrough, but I count this as a win. After almost 2 full years, the hunt for 9 shiny Eevees in Legends Arceus is officially done.

Back
Top Bottom