• To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • NMLewis continues his adventures in the Hoenn region. Watch here as he meets his father and helps some kid catch a Pokemon.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

Reaction score
I encountered a shiny geodude while I was searching for fossils in the ruins of alph.(YAAAAAY)
I resetted my soulsilver to see if I can encounter more shinies. I ran into a shiny zubat early into the game in union cave.
My brother found a shiny machop next to oreburgh city. But, I accidently released it...

Slacker Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I present to you fine folks this smug mother fucker right here, accidently hatched this morning.

hot damn.PNG

Wasn't expecting a shiny, but I'm not complaining.

Last edited:
Out of Retirement
Reaction score
Re: Shiny Bragging Thread? Shiny Bragging Thread.

Caught a Shinx on Pearl, hatched a Dratini, Larvitar, Beldum, Bagon, Gible, and Scyther.

Reaction score
Re: Shiny Bragging Thread? Shiny Bragging Thread.

I have many shinies, although most of them are not legit :p

But the only shiny i've caught legitimately is a Hoothoot -.- although it has sentimental value to me for private reasons

Reaction score
I was training in Poke Platinum outside of the survival area the random poke grass encounter comes up and seconds later I meet this

Reaction score
I randomly decided to train my Pokemon a bit in Victory Road before taking on the Elite Four in HeartGold and found a shiny Golbat. It's only my second shiny ever that I've caught.

Reaction score
One day when I was about to go to the Pokemon center in my SoulSilver gamr from Johto route 38 then go to bed I encountered a Shiny Miltank! The first Miltank I saw in the wild on that game. I transferred it to my White game.

I encountered a Shiny Amoongus from one of the fake items on Unova Route 10.

I've also got a Shiny Zapdos and Japanese Shiny Swampert from a giveaway on the Forums as well.

aka the fireflies guy
Reaction score
Once I was training randomly in Valley Wind Works in Pokémon Pearl and I came across a shiny Buizel, it fainted.

P.S. Can you guys give me some advice for Pokémon Black? I restarted my game and kept resetting (I can't soft reset because my R button is broken), I was determined to get a shiny Oshawott, and after 3 resets I got a female Oshawott instead. I saved the game. Should I delete it and continue my quest for a shiny or just be happy with a female Oshawott?

Last edited:
Consideration
Reaction score
I encountered a Shiny Patrat a few weeks ago on Black version. I was traveling to Nuvema Town when I encountered it on Route 1. I decided to capture it; not for my collection (since I don't particularly like Shiny Patrats), but for trading purposes. I tossed a couple of Nest Balls at it, and I had it sent to my PC for storage after that. This marks the fourth random encounter Shiny I've found while playing the Generation 5 games, and the third one that I've found on Black version. I'm very pleased.

"The Purest Excitement"
Reaction score
OMG, i just caught level 100 shiny Magikarp on my platinum and no i not available for trade not now not ever.

Reaction score
Okay in soulsilver I got a unown (H) for a shiny but I really wanted a shiny hoothoot or noctowl from Ilex forest so I been head butting a tree for 3 days and got a shiny pineco ....:( the reason I want a shiny hoothoot/ noctowl was because of ash got it from a forest....I'm still at it now!

I! AM NOT! A MORON!
Reaction score
About 30 minutes ago, I got a shiny Joltik. It didn't faint, I captured it, and now it's on my team for Black 2. I think I can objectively say that I now have the best shiny.

Reaction score
Aside from Red Gyarados, the only encounter I've had with a shiny was with a Meditite on Mr...Coronet is it?

And not too long ago I sold that game...forgetting to transfer my shiny. whoops!

There is only one king!
Reaction score
The other day while grinding I ran into and captured a shiny Audino.

Pokemon Trainer since '98
Reaction score
A little more than an hour ago, I caught my first Generation V shiny and it just happened to be on Black 2. I was working my way through my first trek through Victory Road when an orange Throh appeared. At first, I couldn't tell if it was my eyesight (I really haven't put the game down since I got it on Thursday) that was making me see things or not. Then the little sparkle came and I realized what I was looking at. I was on my way to get my team healed so I had a couple of them fainted and I ended up wasting a few Revives reviving a bunch of them just so I could stay in the battle and I tried my hardest to not accidentally K.O. it. After quite a few wasted Ultra Balls, I managed to catch it in my 2nd or 3rd Great Ball. It will now be sitting in a box on my PC, unused, collecting dust but I am just so happy that I got my first Gen V shiny!

Reaction score
My current Shiny Collection
Random Encounter:
Donphan
Girafarig
Nidoran male (now a Nidoking)
Onix (now a Steelix)
Croagunk (now a Toxicroak)
Zweilous (now a Hydreigon)
Rattata (now a Raticate)
Ditto

Soft Reset:
Bulbasaur (now a Venusaur)
Charmander (now a Charizard)
Squirtle (now a Blastoise)
Latios (Enigma Stone Event in Heartgold Version)
Eevee

Via Global Trade Station trade:
Nidorina

Masuda Method:
None

By event:
Suicune
Entei
Raikou
Gyarados (from Heartgold)
Haxorus (from Black 2)

Hacked:
Mew

Ongoing Shiny hunting endeavors:
None

Last edited:
The Possibly Fake
Reaction score
So on my first day of playing Black 2, I found a shiny Sunkern. I was sitting on the floor playing my 3DS (don't ask why) and I saw the last bit of a sparkle out of the corner of my eye. I looked at this Sunkern thinking "Is it a shiny?" - it didn't look different. I caught it anyway and checked the status screen - yup, shiny.

Here's my current list:

Random Encounter:
Machamp (Caught as a Machop in Japanese Pearl)
Ariados (Caught as a Spinarak in HeartGold)
Sunkern (Caught in Black 2).

Hatched:
Infernape (Hatched as a Chimchar in Diamond)

Event:
Milotic (VGC09)
Eevee x2 (VGC10)
Larvitar (VGC12)
Tyranitar (Evolved from VGC12 Larvitar)
Raikou x5
Entei x5
Suicune x5
Pichu x3
Golurk
Rayquaza

Others: