• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

Well shoot. New water safari. Was looking for another shiny frogadier. First shiny was a bibarel. Not bad, won't complain. Couple hours later find my frogadier. Catch it. Has protean and a good nature. But it has an iv stat of zero speed. Seriously?

Today, I encountered shiny Shuppet in Friend Safari. After I decided which Poké Ball I would use, I used Foresight & False Swipe combo... Shuppet cursed.

It fainted. UGH. It would be better if I used Quick Ball...

Oh well.

Two nights ago, I was IV breeding Eevees and got a perfect 4 IV shiny Eevee with a bold nature, and I named it Snow. Now I have to figure out what to do with the 2 IV shiny Eevee I got through wonder trade.

I haven't found a shiny in a week and a day. I guess my luck's run dry. :(
Persistence is the key... I'm not going to just give up.

Edit 21/09/2014: Got myself a shiny Bibarel! A nice end to a terrible drought! Phew!
Edit 2: ... and a Hidden Ability Modest shiny Wartortle. :)

Edit 22/09/2014: Nothing new, but now the above shiny Wartortle is a shiny Mega Blastoise. Pics under the link. :)

Last edited:
I got a shiny Espurr in a Friend Safari after only 14 encounters or so, it only took like five minutes, I was so happy! Now I'm onto finding a shiny Inkay! I need to find someone with a friend safari with Inkay in it first though.
If you have my sort of luck, you'll end up with more Inkay than you can shake a Poke Ball at. I think I have like three or four of them right now. (And that was while looking for a shiny Pawniard.)
Well shoot. New water safari. Was looking for another shiny frogadier. First shiny was a bibarel. Not bad, won't complain. Couple hours later find my frogadier. Catch it. Has protean and a good nature. But it has an iv stat of zero speed. Seriously?
Sounds like my shiny Pawniard: Adamant with Defiant, sub par stats and zero in Attack. I could cry but she's female so I'll cut my losses. I prefer my Bisharp Adamant and female so I'll consider this a win.

Haven't found a shiny Trapinch yet but I have found another shiny Phantump and another shiny Shuppet while running around in a Ghost Safari for kicks. I'm up to my ears in those two. Seriously, it couldn't let me have a Golurk?! >_<

I have found another shiny Phantump and another shiny Shuppet while running around in a Ghost Safari for kicks. I'm up to my ears in those two. Seriously, it couldn't let me have a Golurk?! >_<
@Silverwynde I'll trade you anything in this box for that shiny Shuppet. PM me if interested. :)

Also, and more importantly, my hunt for a shiny Sudowoodo is over! Full details on my blog.

Edit 28/09/2014: Two shiny Machokes found in Friend Safari. In one sitting. Not bad!

Last edited:
Ran into and caught a shiny Roselia in my Y Wonderlocke run. Needless to say, I'm not Wonder Trading it or actually using it. Transferring it to my copy of X as soon as possible.

Last night I went hunting in a Ghost safari with Pumpkaboo, Shuppet and Golurk and ran into a shiny Pumpkaboo. It is female, Mild nature and has perfect Attack and Special Defense. I dont plan on evolving it but Ive wanted a shiny Pumpkaboo for a while so Im happy. Im going back for a Shuppet as soon as I can get a good synchronizer for the nature I want.

Well, with the announcement of Mega Beedrill, I will be haunting my Poison Safari in search of a shiny Kakuna. I just hope I can nail an Adamant male so I can name him Bumblebee. He and I will rule Hoenn with an iron stinger! :evil:

Caught a shiny Scraggy while playing White the other day. A few months ago, I caught a shiny Croagunk in Platinum.

Not really an 'encounter' but I just got my second shiny, the event Mega Gengar from Gamestop :D (My first was a shiny Mew that's probably hacked)

I always seem to encounter shinies toward the end of games, the only one I can remember at the moment is a Lairon in Victory Road on Emerald

I just encountered my very first random wild shiny! Not in the friend safari, no shiny gem or whatever it is, no poke radar chains... just complete dumb luck!

In fact, I was trying to hatch a shiny eevee, and I accidentally ran into the patch of grass outside of the day care. Out comes a shiny Flabebe! And given that Floette is one of my favorite gen VI pokemon, I'm very happy! :D

Not really an 'encounter' but I just got my second shiny, the event Mega Gengar from Gamestop :D (My first was a shiny Mew that's probably hacked)

Hehe, yeah, I got it today as well. Is it just me or does regular shiny Gengar (ie not mega) look just like non-shiny Gengar?

Well, with the announcement of Mega Beedrill, I will be haunting my Poison Safari in search of a shiny Kakuna. I just hope I can nail an Adamant male so I can name him Bumblebee. He and I will rule Hoenn with an iron stinger! :evil:

Oh man, that sounds awesome! Might have to do that myself.

Mega Beedrill definitely has to take it as my new favourite Mega. I just wish it were it's own pokemon...

Anyway, pretty sure I posted in this thread before, but since then I've caught a couple more shinies.

They were just regular ones I found on while walking around, no pokeradar or anything.

Got a shiny Audino in BW2, which I was going to put on the GTS or something, but now I think I'll keep for mega (not that it'll be that good...).
Then in Y, I caught a shiny Slowpoke, while looking for a Guts Male Heracross for my in-game team (I prefer the male design for the Hera).

None are particularly standout IV wise, but I don't care.

Hehe, yeah, I got it today as well. Is it just me or does regular shiny Gengar (ie not mega) look just like non-shiny Gengar?

Oh man, that sounds awesome! Might have to do that myself.

Mega Beedrill definitely has to take it as my new favourite Mega. I just wish it were it's own pokemon...

Anyway, pretty sure I posted in this thread before, but since then I've caught a couple more shinies.

They were just regular ones I found on while walking around, no pokeradar or anything.

Got a shiny Audino in BW2, which I was going to put on the GTS or something, but now I think I'll keep for mega (not that it'll be that good...).
Then in Y, I caught a shiny Slowpoke, while looking for a Guts Male Heracross for my in-game team (I prefer the male design for the Hera).

None are particularly standout IV wise, but I don't care.
Its not just you, the difference is very minor :p The eyes are a different shade of red, and the body is black, not purple.

I just had my first shiny encounter ever in a Pokémon game today (y'know, not including the Red Gyarados and the in-game events in B2W2)! I was chain fishing Luvdisc solely for the purpose of getting Heart Scales, and lo and behold, on only my fifth encounter a golden beauty is staring back at me! I, of course, take this opportunity and throw an Ultra Ball at it. It was a critical catch, and thank Arceus it was because all of my Pokémon were grossly overleveled and my Celebi with Hold Back was in my PC! It was an beautiful experience, and I hope I can replicate the results with a Dratini soon!
Fun Fact: When a Pokémon like Gengar has a shiny coloration extremely similar to its normal one, it is because the developers did not want to give it anything special (like how a shiny Luvdisc is gold) so the programming automatically set the shiny coloration to be one hue to the left or right of the normal coloration!

Last edited:
I had a few unhatched eggs in my PC so I decided to hatch them today.

I got a shiny Hawlucha from one of the eggs. I did not expect that, but cool :) Too bad the IVs are horrible...

I hatched a shiny Buneary (IV bred) yesterday called Playbunny, which is now part of my ORAS competitive team-to-be. And today I bred a shiny swirlix (also IV bred) after just 15 eggs. Downside is that I have to train it defensively.

Back
Top Bottom