• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

Today I started IV breeding Larvitars, but I was getting egg moves on them first. I was looking through a batch I hatched after a bit and noticed one of them was a shiny. I was pretty ecstatic lol, as that's the first shiny I've obtained in gen 6 so far without trading.

I've caught a shiny Venomoth while I was dex naving for one with it's hidden ability. And I also hatched a shiny Scraggy with 5ivs, so that was really nice especially since I haven't bred a shiny in months.

Been hunting less than an hour, already found a Shiny Ponyta and Snubbull in Friend Safaris. Here's hoping this is the end of my Shiny drought (at least for now).

I finally managed to chain fish a shiny Feebas. The only fishable Pokemon left is Dratini/Dragonair but this will be tedious...

I caught a shiny Reshiram an hour ago after probably less than fifty soft resets (though I had been trying to get a shiny Latias for several hours before then to no avail). It's the first shiny Legendary I've caught. :D

In Generation V, I was able to hatch a Shiny Nidoran♀ while trying to breed for a Nidoran♂ to trade for a Shiny Chimchar on the GTS (which I got). This was in White. I caught a Shiny Golbat at the Strange House in Black-2.

Generation VI. So far, in X, my character, Pascal, has caught nothing from the wild, but he's gotten quite a few Shiny Pokémon through Wonder Trade. The protagonist of Y, Shiva, caught a Roselia, a Croagunk, and a Growlithe. In Omega Ruby, Riku has caught a Feebas, Swablu, Zebstrika, and Audino in the wild, and got some more Shiny Pokémon through Wonder Trade. Kairi of Alpha Sapphire is on the same level as Pascal, since she only caught a Shiny Xatu.

Currently, I'm trying to get a Shiny Mienfoo or Helioptile in X, and a Shiny Clefairy in AS. I hope the character in the upcoming Pokémon Flower, Sora, will fair as well as Shiva and Riku.

(Three guesses where the names of the ORAS protagonists, and the proposed name of the protagonist of Pokémon Flower came from... and the first two don't count)

(Three guesses where the names of the ORAS protagonists, and the proposed name of the protagonist of Pokémon Flower came from... and the first two don't count)

You hyped for KH3? :D

After going through my boxes (which, thanks to the Living Dex, are very full) and organizing some things, I've begun to notice some shinies that I own, yet I have no idea where I got them. Clefairy, Shinx, Armaldo, Gabite... they must've come in through Wonder Trade or something.

Finally, after 4 days of searching, i found and caught a shiny metang. Thought I would never find the blasted thing. I did catch a shiny excadrill while looking, so it wasn't all bad.

In just one hour, I hatched a shiny Treecko using the Masuda Method. This was in my Alpha Sapphire.

Still no luck with a shiny Dratini by consecutive fishing. I have caught 3 shiny Poliwhirls though...

Gather Round, it's Pokemon White storytime.

I was grinding for Icirrus Gym when it happened. My Game Card popped out. Frustrated, I restored to my last save...

To find that I was back to before being ready to take the Jet Badge. I hadn't even revived the Archen that was at Lv 45 before the pop out yet. Frustrated, I went to grind to recover the progress. I started with Archen. I was in Lostlorn Forest, only half paying attention, when I heard it.

The sparkles.

Snapped from my distractions, I looked at the screen. Before me, a green Venipede. One Ultra Ball later, it was mine.

And that's the story of how I got GLORYSTEED, who is now a Level 59 Scolipede and whipped Ghetsis' Hydreigon with MEGAHORN TO THE FACE.

Screwing around in Black 2, I found and caught a shiny... Maractus. Y'know, that one cactus Pokemon who isn't Cacturne? The one nobody remembers?

attachment.php

My first random shiny in years. A tentacool in y. And I bloddy knocked it out. I mean, I already have one. But still. A random shiny. Grr

yesterday i catched shiny Krickeot in Pearl.

Ah, that reminds me of another story! I was in Soulsilver and took a super under leveled Scyther into the Bug Contest. Realizing I was unprepared, I ran wildly in the grass to get myself knocked out. Literally my first encounter in this process was a Shiny Kricketot. It had Bug Bite, as I found out later, so I HAD to catch it at full or it would KO Scyther and get away. The first Sport Ball WORKED. The amusing part?

I ONLY GOT SECOND PLACE.

So I hit one of my Ghost Safaris a few days ago, hoping to get a shiny. After three false starts--and no shinies--I ran into a shiny.... Golurk!

Naive with Iron Fist and three perfect stats: Attack, Defense, and Speed. He's already been Super Trained, so he's ready for another romp in Kalos.

Now to try and find another shiny Sawk...

I found a shiny Zangoose in a horde the other day. It was inevitably killed by Sevipers and I couldn't do nothing! *cries*
I've been trying to hunt for a shiny Starly in a horde but no luck so far, I hope I can get one soon.

Last edited:
I found a shiny Zangoose in a horde the other day. It was inevitably killed by Sevipers and I couldn't do nothing! *cries*
I've been trying to hunt for a shiny Starly in a horde but no luck so far, I hope I can get one soon.

I've been trying for ages for a shiny Starly. I've caught a shiny stunky and two Nidoran with still no Starly in sught.

Update: caught two staryu and another horsea today. So my Kindra and Starmie Lines are now complete.

Last edited:
FINALLY! After a thousand tries I finally encountered and caught a Shiny Dratini. It took ages and I found several shiny Poliwhirl and Basculin along the way. So here's my complete fishing list (the # is the number of reel ins until the shiny showed up)

#6 - Poliwhirl II
#8 - Poliwag
#9 - Clawitzer
#11 - Barboach
#14 - Clauncher IV
#15 - Clauncher II
#16 - Seadra
#18 - Basculin
#19 - Corphish
#20 - Luvdisc
#21 - Corphish III
#21 - Dratini