• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

HOLY SHIT SHINY PIDGEY - no really, I actually found a shiny Pidgey in X. I'm gonna trade it over to Alpha Sapphire when I get it and train it up so I can have GOLDEN MEGA PIDGEOT, GODDESS OF THE SKY. [cough]

Gligar used Flase Swipe.
Wild shiny chinchou used take down.
Player has mild heart attack.
Take Down missed.

So I gave up looking for a shiny starly in hordes and tried breeding for one
what a nightmare! I'm not a patient person that's why I never got a shiny from breeding. I've bred 210 eggs so far and nothing!
I know it might takes ages but still, I want to cry haha not really but you get the point

ETA: the moment I posted this I hatched the shiny starly!!!! I can't believe it!!!! Now, it's time to hatch a shiny oddish, here I go!

Last edited:
Just started with Horde Shiny Hunting and on the first day only I found Zubat, Hoppip AND Psyduck. Seems very promising so far!

Chain fishing is a godsend, I captured 3 shinies in under an hour (a Dragalge, a Skrelp and a Horsea)
Hatching them however, is another thing. After 200 eggs I got bored of trying to get a shiny Oddish and started breeding Litwick. Hopefully I get a shiny soon.

Day two for Shiny Horde Hunting granted me with Foongus, Gulpin, Murkrow and Wingull. WOW I love it. All within 21 to 123 encounters. It's even easier than Fishing.

My record for longest shiny fishing attempt was 2 and half hours for a feebas, which I caught. Shortest are 2 casts for a Wailmer and 4 for a horsea. Luck of the draw.

I was in Friend Safari today when I encountered a shiny Sandshrew! I caught it and brought it over to AS.

was surprised to hatch a shiny gulpin last night. IVs are 31/x/2/31/31/31. That defense IV just murders me....very tempted to hatch another one that I can actually use without it dying to a paper bag being thrown at its face.

Mewtwo.jpg

All I can say is that I'm really, really happy!!

I was breeding Inkay to try and trade someone on the GTS and although I wasn't able to make the trade, I got a nice consolation prize: the fifth egg hatched shiny. I wasn't even trying to Masuda and I did anyway!

I've been breeding and hatching for a shiny Scraggy some 1300 eggs and I finally got one!!
Edit: It's Attack IV is zero... damn

Last edited:
Finally got my shiny Corsola I spent like 4 hours chain fishing but it was worth it.
That's one less from my shiny wishlist. Too bad the rest is going to take much longer.
I got a ghost friend safari with Golurk, Lampent and Pumpkaboo so that's 3 on my list, I've been hunting for hours and no shiny yet, I hope its easier than breeding cause if I see another egg I might cry.

I got a shiny 6IV HA female Charmander through wonder trade the other day, but I'm not sure if the lax nature is good for her though.

I have now achieved my longstanding goal of having all Eeveelutions shiny (in addition, I have an additional shiny Eevee to make it a total of 9 shinies). I DexNaved for all 9 over a period of time in Omega Ruby. I'm going to use this occasion to say I don't really like shiny Glaceon and Leafeon too much because they're barely different from the normal colors. Shiny Sylveon and Umbreon are absolutely gorgeous though, and there's something oddly pleasant about shiny Vaporeon's purple and Jolteon's green (I like it a better than Espeon's shiny green, which is much more garish in my opinion).

I'm actually feeling like I should go for more shiny Eevees just because I could use them to trade for rare Pokémon I want.

Ran into a shiny Graveler when I was finishing up the last couple of levels for a Spiritomb. I've caught one before but this time it used Explosion before I could catch it >_<

That Spiritomb was used to pass on egg moves to Misdreavus (which we're giving out on Wonder Trade today!) and I ended up with TWO shinies when I was breeding them so that kinda makes up for it :p

I've tried to do the whole dex nav for a shiny thing. I just can't get it to work. On average, how long did it take you to find one?

I've tried to do the whole dex nav for a shiny thing. I just can't get it to work. On average, how long did it take you to find one?

The chances of getting a shiny out of DexNav is reportedly around 1/500, which is significantly higher than normal random encounters, so it's definitely worth trying. There also doesn't seem to be any kind of a "chain factor" in DexNav, the number of continuous searches you have done has no effect on the chances of getting a shiny, so your chain cutting off isn't a problem. I didn't time all of my searches, but it seems like it would usually take around 1-2 hours of continuous searching, can take more or less depending on luck. I'd recommend doing something on the side to make the time pass faster and preventing it from getting too monotonous. I've gotten some of my shinies while watching YouTube videos or even movies on the side, since it doesn't require a huge amount of attention to DexNav once you get your routine down.

Found 3 shinies today. 2 of them within 10 minutes of each other. Was looking for a shiny Plusle to go with the Minun I already had. Ended up catching two shiny magnemite before I found the Plusle. Careful, a shiny one of those is easy to miss.

Back
Top Bottom