• ME decides not to pursue Team Galactic and instead climb around the Sinnoh region with his new HM. Watch the new episode here.
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • The 2020 staff drive for Bulbagarden is now live! If you're interested in joining the Bulbagarden staff team (whether it be forums, social media, or more!) then you're encouraged to apply!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

The Shiny Encounters Thread

Destroyer of Fairy, Steel and Ice types.
Reaction score
I caught a shiny Latias on Southern Island in Omega Ruby. It is Hardy nature and it has Capable of Taking Hits characteristic.

Take me away from here...
Reaction score
Just caught a Shiny Weepinbell I found in a horde battle, while EV Training. Sadly it is not competitive viable, but a shiny is a shiny.

Edit: And to my surprise, yet another shiny. A shiny Wailmer, it is kinda cute. But this time it isn't a legit one, unfortunately... I got it from AuSLove.tv, a twitch streamer who loves to wonder trade hacked shinies. I will keep it but I don't see myself using it competitively.

Last edited:
Bug Type Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never mind my question as I just hatched a shiny Zigzagoon! I much prefer the shiny over the normal version so I am satisfied!

Lvl 16. Beat that, #635
Reaction score
I'm currently soft-resetting for Ho-oh in HeartGold. So far, I've got 385 resets, but I'll get there :)

The #1 Deerling Fan!
Reaction score
ZOMG I CAUGHT A SHINY SKITTY!!! Yeah, Shiny Skitty has bad ability Normalize, but I don't care, YAY!!! She's gonna be my baby!! I named her Marinette, after the girl from Miraculous Ladybug.

Reaction score
Just encountered my first Shiny in X.

Lvl 59 female Lickitung in Victory Road
Unfortunately, she's Quirky nature ..... And she's a Lickitung.
But has perfect IV in Speed.

Reaction score
So I managed to hatch, after only 236 eggs, a shiny Furfrou. Its stats suck, but I don't care. Only third successful mm hunt. Going to name it Charlie in memory of my recently departed dog, which is why I was looking for it in the first place.

Vice President in Charge of Volcanoes
Reaction score
@jman21 sorry to hear about your dog. I still miss mine after all these years.

I did manage to catch my first shiny (unlike the two I found in the SS Safari Zone that ran away from me ^=__=^;; ). I was doing homework while running from all battles on the way to getting the Deep Sea Tooth and whatnot in X or Y so I wasn't really paying attention. Fortunately I happened to glance up at the top screen before hitting run and was like... what the cheesecakes why is this Tentacool purple OMGIT'SASHINYCATCHITCATCHITCATCHIT. And so I did. ^^;; IIRC it has some stat that's like zero or whatever but a shiny is a shiny is a shiny. I've also gotten a few over WT and a couple from some used games I bought to complete my pokemon games collection. I've mentioned this one somewhere before (probably the "your pokemon nicknames" thread) but my favourite is probably an (obviously hacked) 6IV shiny Ludicolo nicknamed LudiYOLO. I swear I laughed for a good 10min when that came in over WT.

Take me away from here...
Reaction score
Just found a shiny Scraggy while EV training my Skorupi and Grimer.

Edit: And I just hatched a shiny Gligar:

Last edited:
Bug Type Enthusiast
Reaction score
While EV training, I encountered a wild Swablu first horde! Hopefully will breed a useful one in the future, even though it looks absolutely disgusting with the pale colors of XY/ORAS.

Princess of Power
Reaction score
I'm so glad the Friend Safari is a thing, or I'd be thinking that the shiny gods hate me. In the last two days, I've run into two shiny Phantump, the second one being the first step/encounter I had. That's boosted my spirits a little, as the Chimchar hunt is not going well at all. (820 eggs and a big fat "zero" in the shiny Chimchar column. This is getting nuts!)

Destroyer of Fairy, Steel and Ice types.
Reaction score
Had a random encounter with a shiny Rattata. Caught and evolved into Raticate. Hardy and Somewhat Vain.

Reaction score
Let's see, while breeding for a shiny Pawniard (which eventually I got 2 off - because I didn't quite like how the first one turned out). I traded the breeding leftovers, and among the many Zigzagoon, Wurmple and, for some reason, Trevenant, I scored a shiny Heracross and a shiny Volcarona.

Princess of Power
Reaction score
While running around in the Friend Safari last night I ran into--wait for it--a shiny Golurk. He's Adamant with Iron Fist but his stats are kinda meh. Still caught him though; a shiny is a shiny.

Now if only I can get that stupid shiny Chimchar...!

Likes cute Pokemon
Reaction score
Today I finally hatched a shiny Charmander for my brother! :D It took 576 eggs to hatch. The Charmander has 5IVs with missing special attack even though he's modest.

Still waiting for Let's Go Mimikyu
Reaction score
Not me, but my friend has not encountered a shiny Pokémon in 7 years since he got a shiny Staravia in Pearl. Just yesterday he was on Wonder Trade and over the course of the day he gets a shiny Bastiodon, Baltoy, and Scizor. I think the Bastiodon and Scizor were hacked because they were level 100 and had Pokerus, but I'm not about to kill his joy.

Reaction score
Finally got a shiny Lugia on AS! Now I have pretty much all shiny legendaries (excluding Groudon because I don't have Soul Silver/Ruby/Emerald, Yveltal and Zygarde for obvious reasons)!!
Now it's time to work on the non-legendary pokemon for my shiny dex.