• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

Over the past 3 days I've gotten Shinies for Fomantis, Wishiwashi and Rockruff, also Ninetales and Ditto from Wonder Trade, latter might be hacked since it has 6 IV's

I was out trying to get Snorunt's HA over at Tapu Village, & while I was chaining them, one of them turned out to be a shiny. I've managed to bag the Shiny Snorunt, & even though it wasn't what I was looking for, I went home a happy person.

I'm sure some of you shiny hunters will be green with envy.

I was going through the vast poni canyon one morning while doing other things, and I came across a Golbat. Only half paying attention, I pressed run, and only then did I realize it was shiny...

I once spent 12+ hours for a shiny Eevee, for nothing.
I then spent ONLY 6 hours for one, once again, for nothing.
3 hours of farming yesterday gave me a shiny one, finally.
It would be enough for a shiny one, but NOT ONLY THAT, it came 4IV (expected) and the other two IVs came with Fantastic (30). Yep, basically a 6 IV. I fit had came with it's HA, it would be basically the rarest pokemon ever.

Still playing my pokemon emerald :]
I've decided to hunt down shiny magikarp for new years eve. Been at it for a little more than an hour now, chillin at this corner spot on route 118. Got a Lileep with suction cups in lead, I've already fainted 2 party members using up all their moves and struggling out with around 200 encounters. Anyone got any tips while I fish for this golden magikarp?

Sent from Br'er Lappen via Tapatalk

Was running around trying to find a Minior for my dex while watching telly, mostly running from all other battles since my guys are all 50+. Glanced over, saw a Skarmory, and was about to hit Run when I was like "... this thing looks funny. Why is it a weird shade of grey? ... is it cause it's nighttime now...? Ummmmmmmm.......... you know what I'm just not taking any chances and catching it anyway just in case." And it was totally shiny~ So now I'm breaking even with 3 shinies fleeing from me and 3 caught, in my lifetime.

I got two shinies without the shiny charm: Magikarp and Emolga. Both male and with good IVs. Not perfect, but they're fantastic according to the PC Judge.

I just got the shiny charm today and immediately began chaining for a shiny Growlithe. I found one after about 50 tries! Female and good IVs where it matters. Her nature is nothing special (Bashful) and I was hoping she had Intimidate but instead had the Hidden Ability, Justified. I'm going to use her as part of my in-game team since I love Growlithe and that golden coat!

Next shinies I want to chain- Rockruff and Alolan Vulpix. Afterwards I'm just going to chain to see what I can add to my shiny collection.

So I've hatched somewhere around 100 eggs looking for that Shiny Alolan Vulpix, and no luck there. Yesterday I went and chained for about 50 encounters and then I got bored and stopped (I seriously have no patience). So today I decided that it would be the day I get a new shiny Pokemon. That I get my Shiny Alolan Vulpix. Lo and behold, after 18 SOS encounters. I'm focused on an article I'm reading, and I hear a sparkle. I have to double take at my 2DS when I see the shiny. It's such a subtle difference, but a great one. I would have prefered to hatch one just because I am going to be using her in my second playthrough of Moon, that way I can use her the moment I can access the PC, but I can wait. Her name's Galaxy and she's at level 31 so I can probably put her in the party after Sophocles' trial.

I'm debating what I want my next shiny to be. I'm going between Oricorio, Rockruff, Eevee. I think I might do Eevee, since my luck has been better than ever lately (*knocks on wooden desk*), and that was a shiny Pokemon I would always hunt for in ORAS.

I've found two shiny Pokémon in Moon so far, all with my first ever shiny charm:
  • Shiny Pyukumuku after 250-300+ encounters (I stopped counting after a while). This took a long time because of Innards Out- I decided to use Hold Back (Event Snorlax is amazing) before KOing them. Biiiiiiiig mistake, as they have Counter. Still, it was worth it, for my green-and-yellow dive ball Pyukumuku, nicknamed Lime Jell-O.
  • Shiny Bounsweet. I chained for two days and 750-ish encounters with nothing, then gave up. Today I came back, and on encounter 100, I found it! Caught it in a Love Ball nicknamed it "Blue Bouncee."
These were the first shiny Pokémon I've hunted, and my first shinies I've caught on my own game (a random encounter shiny Sableye on an old, shared copy of Sapphire was deleted by me because I knew it would eventually be deleted by someone, and I didn't want it to be anyone else). I plan to hunt Eevee, Mimikyu, Stufful, or Sandygast next.

I'm debating what I want my next shiny to be. I'm going between Oricorio, Rockruff, Eevee.

I have a shiny Rockruff, Eevee, and tried hunting Oricorio.
Rockruff may be the easiest, he calls for help constantly. I have a semi-perfect Eevee, but took me SO LONG. You are going to need a bunch of patience for that one.
And about Oricorio: you siad you don't have much patience? Good luck with this one. It is difficult for him to call for help. It will take a VERY long time, and it will frustrate you too. I wish you a lot of good luck, 'cause you will need it.

I have a shiny Rockruff, Eevee, and tried hunting Oricorio.
Rockruff may be the easiest, he calls for help constantly. I have a semi-perfect Eevee, but took me SO LONG. You are going to need a bunch of patience for that one.
And about Oricorio: you siad you don't have much patience? Good luck with this one. It is difficult for him to call for help. It will take a VERY long time, and it will frustrate you too. I wish you a lot of good luck, 'cause you will need it.

Thanks, yeah I tried Oricorio and after only 10 I was like "Nope, I'll breed for this one.". I got another look at Shiny Alolan Raichu and decided that was going to be my next one. On a chain of 200 or so right now, which is the longest I've ever looked for any shiny, on any game.

While looking for a Stufful, I kept encountering random Pokémon and suddenly, a Shiny Yungoos came out of nowhere, found that Stufful and chained at 108 to finally get it to shine, both of them caught obviously

I was out at Wela Volcano doing some meat-grinding for my Mimikyu, when out of nowhere, a Cubone came out in front & was like, "Look at me flash, boss!" & boy did he flash, because he's a shiny Cubone.

It didn't help that he kept calling for help (& succeeding,) but after some blood, sweat, & tears were shed, I've managed to cap him.

The good news is that his nature isn't bad at all, & I might find myself using him. The bad news is he screwed up Mimikyu's meat-grinding.

Ah well, nothing a few Qualot Berries can't fix.

FINALLY got that shiny Elekid I was complaining about it in a previous thread. I have never had a Pokemon make so many SOS calls in a row, and I begin to lose my patience after eight calls. This little twit managed to have 24 successful calls in a row. =/ What really scared me was if I threw a Pokeball and it happened to escape, I knew I was going to lose it because it would just send another barrage of endless calls until it ran out of moves and used Struggle. The only thing I technically had to stop the SOS battles from continuing was a Pokemon with Thunder Wave, and it wouldn't have done jack shit in this particular situation.

Thankfully, it only took one Pokeball, and I got him. I am content. :sleep:

So that brings my shiny count up to 5. I managed to get a male shiny Rockruff earlier in the day but it was pretty uneventful. The only thing that took a long time was getting the shiny himself, but it wasn't too bad.

Bred a shiny Salandit. It was perfect in everything, except for the fact that it was male. *sigh* Off to Wonder Trade you go.

Finally after a week of hunting, I've finally found that Comfey I was looking for, completely satisfied with the results, used the chance to find a Bounsweet while I was in the area, took me over 200 chains to get them both

Am really enjoying the SOS encounters on moon. Have caught 11 shinies so far. First one was Bagon, which I tried forever in ORAS to get but never could.

I have 7 shinies so far:

• Vikavolt, Staryu and 3 Cubones (SOS chaining)
  • Vulpix (MM breeding, though I wasn't actually trying for a shiny)
  • Pyukumuku (PokePelago)

I'm definitely planning on hunting for more once I get the shiny charm!

Last edited:
My first shiny was a Smeargle, who I happen to encounter when I chained for a Moody Smeargle. It wasn't what I wanted, but it's shiny, so since there's little chance I will encounter another shiny, I caught it.

The second shiny was a Ditto, who I encounter when chaining for a hopefully 5 or 6 max IV one. It's a 4 max IV, but it's a shiny, and besides, it can still be used as breeding material.

My third shiny was when I wanted to capture a Meowth with its hidden ability Rattled, and to my surprise, it has its Hidden Ability! It's worth mentioning that I didn't expect this because usually I don't think shinies have their Hidden Abilities.

The fourth shiny I got was a Salandit, when I, again wanted to find one with its hidden ability. It didn't have it, but worst of all, it's a male, so I can't evolve it.

My fifth shiny was found in a Wonder Trade (so it doesn't count based on this thread's subject), where a generous player sent me his Dhelmise, and it has a lot of wonderful things, like Level 100, IVs suited for its moveset and so on. I don't care if it's hacked, it's amazing that I got it.

Thanks for reading.

Back
Top Bottom