• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

I've moved my shiny Chimchar hunt to Alola, since I was able to get a female Iron Fist Chimchar in a Dream Ball via GTS on Moon. Here's hoping I see better results than I did in Kalos. =/ (It's been 14 months; where is my shiny fire monkey?!)

I've gotten quite a few shinies from Wonder Trade lately. Vivillon, Wimpod, Politoed and Meowth. Pretty sure some of them are hacked. The Wimpod is cute though.

I've gotten quite a few shinies from Wonder Trade lately. Vivillon, Wimpod, Politoed and Meowth. Pretty sure some of them are hacked. The Wimpod is cute though.
Same. My Shinies from WT include, Darkrai, Marowak, Espeon and others. Its frankly where I got most of my shnies from.

But I came to this thread to post my first SOS chained Shiny. a Male Fomantis.

I got a shiny Snover in a master ball through the GTS (someone just gave it to me for some reason)
The profile says it is from Unova. Well, obviously hacked.
Stats are mediocre.
AND IT IS LEVEL 100.

Whoever you are, thanks for the shiny... but why did it have to be level 100 :/

I caught 2 shiny Pokemon in my HeartGold (Red Gyarados not included)! They are:
  • My shiny Zubat. I caught it while I was training at Slowpoke well. As of now it has evolved into a Golbat!
  • A shiny Koffing. I caught it while I was grinding at the Burnt Tower. Sadly, it basically stays in the PC and doesn`t get as much attention as my Golbat :-(
(BTW this is my first post here!)

Was breeding Meditite to send out over WT this morning when one of them hatched shiny! I wasn't MM-ing and I don't have the Shiny Charm either, so that was a nice surprise. It has a Jolly nature, 5 IVs (will need to bottle cap Sp. Def), the egg moves Fake Out and Drain Punch, and comes in a Premier Ball. Don't have much use for it tbh since I already have a fully trained Medicham I'm happy with, but I'm not complaining.

640.gif

Lammy (Virizion)
when i saw this pink beauty appear on my screen after 4004 soft resets in pokemon black 2 i was freaking out!! i named it lammy because my brother had recently beat umjammer lammy for the first time as i found this lil guy. he has a lax nature, although i was going for adamant with a synchronizer at the lead of my party but i'm not complaining.

rockruff.gif
lycanroc.gif

Vida Loca(Lycanroc-Midday)
this was my first sun and moon shiny! everyone around me was getting really lucky via chaining and i was jealous so i decided to breed for a shiny rockruff as i really wanted to get one so i didn't feel left out. low and behold, after 68 eggs my wish came true as a rare blue rockruff emerged from the egg. i was ecstatic as it was VERY quick considering masuda method and i didn't have the shiny charm. she has an adamant nature and is level 100 with 252atk and is golden bottle-capped.

431.gif
432.gif

Torakun(Purugly)
i found this guy on my FIRST dexnav encounter on a mirage island in ORAS and i was so shocked. i just walked into the patch of grass just for fun to register glameow in my dex and then it's SHINY lml. he has a rash nature and is still in my omega ruby cart but i want to bank him to sun asap.

shiny darumaka has been taking me months....i'm breeding it for a friend who requested it a while back while my shiny hunting was at its prime
i recently caught 3 shiny eevees via chaining though, im considering wting two because they don't have helpful natures
i'm sr'ing for ho-oh in hgss and it's considerably difficult because 1/8192 chance but not saying i didn't expect it.

Ran into a shiny A-Raticate! I was raising my Meowth to 28 with my lvl 100 Mewtwo on Poni Gauntlet so that it would evolve into an A-Persian, but I forgot it needs friendship. Anyway, I was not prepared for Raticate - Meowth was too weak, and Mewtwo was too strong. Luckily the first repeat ball I threw caught it.

This is my 12th random shiny in the wild throughout all games, and I'm always amazed when I see one.

Well, after taking a break to conquer BOTW on Switch, I've meandered back to PKMN for shiny hunts. Got my first new one this morning... But not sure how thrilled I am. It's a damn near perfect Chimchar with egg moves... But I got Blaze, not Iron Fist. Ugh. Worse part is if I would have hatched one more round of eggs before I saved and quit last night, I could have used the swap trick and snagged something more worthwhile. Anyways, here he is.

Snapchat-1129767843.jpg
Snapchat-1511108530.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha whoa. I'm telling you, shiny breeding is so much easier this Gen.. Decided to start chaining up for an Oranguru. I had a Golduck (Wonder Room), Musharna (Psychic Terrain), and Vulpix (Extrasensory) ready to roll for all of Oranguru egg moves. I had caught one (male) with a Friend Ball. I threw him in with a low iv Japanese Ditto (Modest) to slap that nature on him and get a female to start tacking on egg moves. Three eggs in, I have a shiny modest Oranguru (Inner Focus) with no IVs. And no egg moves. Oh well, I have a couple Gold Bottle Caps and can snag an ability capsule for Telepathy. The egg moves are not that great anyways, so I'm honestly more pleased with this than my Chimchar. Wonderful day for shiny hunts, haha.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1552603017.jpg
    Snapchat-1552603017.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Snapchat-207165981.jpg
    Snapchat-207165981.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 33
So for years I've always wanted a shiny butterfree. It's my favorite Pokémon and those green eyes are like my favorite color. I even had my friend generate some in gen 3 for me, but their natures were garbage and I don't like the illegitimacy of it. Well, in order to prolong my Zelda: BotW experience, I decided to take breaks from it and complete my pokedex in Sun, something I've never done before. And having done that, I realized I now had the shiny charm. So for the first time, I got to work breeding caterpie after caterpie. I've never bred for a shiny before.

Now finally, a few hundred eggs later, I have my beautiful shiny female Butterfree, in a sport ball for extra rarity. Now I just need to boost her special attack with a bottle cap and figure out what to name her.

I played Pokemon for nearly 18 years and the only shiny Pokemon I encountered was a Shiny Gyarados. :coffee: I don't know much about the mechanics about breeding shinies or anything so.. the search continues..

Last edited:
I played Pokemon for nearly 18 years and the only shiny Pokemon I encountered was a Shiny Gyarados. :coffee: I don't know much about the mechanics about breeding shinies or anything so.. the search continues..
Don't give up hope! Sun and moon actually increase your chances of finding one, even for wild encounters! Up until X and Y I had only ever found a machop and that set Gyarados. When you finally find one you'll be super happy :)

List of my shinies to be relevant to thread:
Machop, firered, wild encounter.
Gyarados, soulsilver, set encounter.
Goldeen, X, chain fishing.
Clauncher, X, chain fishing.
Zubat, ruby, wild encounter.
Bidoof, pearl, pokeradar fail.
Bidoof, pearl, pokeradar fail (yes it happened twice).
Gastly, platinum, wild encounter.
Lickitung, platinum, wild encounter (actually found on the SAME DAY as gastly, during one of my nuzlockes).
Feebas, omegaruby, chain fishing.
Growlithe, sun, wild encounter (lol route 2 within the first hour of playing).
Caterpie (mentioned above), sun, masuda breeding.

Wow, I... didn't think my list was that long. And that's not including stuff I received, like the promo beldum, hacked shinies from wondertrade, and TWO Hariyama in different playthroughs of ruby, both in victory road, that used whirlwind. Oh, and for good measure it happened a third time in omegaruby. Still didn't catch it. Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't give up hope! Sun and moon actually increase your chances of finding one, even for wild encounters! Up until X and Y I had only ever found a machop and that set Gyarados. When you finally find one you'll be super happy :)

whaaat really? I actually been slacking with my Sun playthrough.. I should get back on it. I think I only beat the first trial....

whaaat really? I actually been slacking with my Sun playthrough.. I should get back on it. I think I only beat the first trial....

Much like you, I never encountered a shiny until Sun, where I caught a shiny Alolan Meowth. So I guess the chances to find are easier now.

Also I love your profile pic, Charlotte was a great watch.

I got a shiny Lillipup and a shiny Mudbray during my first playthrough of Moon, I think almost everyone I know has found at least one shiny during their playthrough. So indeed, just go play the game and there's a big chance you'll just randomly find a shiny :D

And if that doesn't work, the best way to go is to complete the Alola Dex, you will then get the Shiny Charm which increases your chance of finding a shiny by quite a lot.

And you can also try SOS Battle chaining if you're looking for a specific shiny Pokémon, if breeding for one isn't your thing :)

Much like you, I never encountered a shiny until Sun, where I caught a shiny Alolan Meowth. So I guess the chances to find are easier now.

Also I love your profile pic, Charlotte was a great watch.

thanks. i love that anime tooooooooooo.

I got a shiny Lillipup and a shiny Mudbray during my first playthrough of Moon, I think almost everyone I know has found at least one shiny during their playthrough. So indeed, just go play the game and there's a big chance you'll just randomly find a shiny :D

And if that doesn't work, the best way to go is to complete the Alola Dex, you will then get the Shiny Charm which increases your chance of finding a shiny by quite a lot.

And you can also try SOS Battle chaining if you're looking for a specific shiny Pokémon, if breeding for one isn't your thing :)

whaaaaaaaaat. they really made it easier.. actually. I meant to go finish up my OmegaRuby.. I didn't complete the Delta episode yet...

Back
Top Bottom