• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

While searching for Abra to chain in SOS Battles yesterday in a search for their Magic Guard ability, I managed to encounter and catch a Shiny Furfrou. Discounting Ultra Wormhole hijinks, this is the very first one I've caught since my early days in Gen IV. Needless to say, I'm elated!

A few days ago, thanks to the Masuda method, I got my first Shiny since Gen III (with my Trainer ID, excluding sure cases like Red Gyarados and the like); a Houndour. Nature is Timid, I'm now EV training it in PokePelago and will then start leveling it up :) Haven't decided on what exact set to use in battles, though.

See previous post. Muhuhahahaha!

Attachments

• Snapchat-584324785.jpg
    Snapchat-584324785.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Snapchat-433814041.jpg
    Snapchat-433814041.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 51
Found a Shiny Intimidate Litten while trying to breed a HA one with decent ivs lol. don't know how many eggs it took but it was rather quick since the HA just came out not too long ago lol. It's only 2iv though so i will need to use bottle caps on it :/ nature is Adamant :p.
20180309_212405.jpg

Guys. Guys.
Guyz!
Look at my new c00t

View: https://imgur.com/a/YNGSd

Last year's July I tried my hand at chaining, at the Trophy Garden, trying for this d00d but I could not do it, for some reason. It was really hard. Recently then, I got Platinum, and tried it again, at something else. Specifically, Togepi, to train up. Sunday, the day I did that, managed to score 3 shiny Togepis. Only one synched correctly, and all of them are Hustle, so there goes the idea to use them on the Battle Frontier.
Searched up people getting shiny Porygons on the Trophy Garden, and I then discovered: it wasn't just my imagination, it really is hard as balls to chain there :p Getting a shiny Porygon or anything, really, from the Trophy Garden, is like, max level Chain Master.
AND I FREAKING DID IT HELL YEAH
Took 2 hours to get the chain up to 40 (since the beginning of that specific chain, that is. I had been trying to chain it at least 2 other hours before that). And then it took 2 hours to find the shiny patch. I only had 10 Super Repels left. I actually teared up a little when I found it shining up.
His name is bl00rygon (thanks Saph, from Discord), has a perfect Timid nature, IVs of 29 on Special Attack and Defense. As it can be seen from the pic, it has Download as its ability, which is the one I was hoping for.
And he is gonna wreck the Battle Frontier, oh yeah.
Also, I have been trying through Random Encounters to find a shiny Growlithe, to do a Endure + Reversal set, that I first saw on the Battle Factory, on HeartGold. Been at it since August, only found a shiny Spearow last month, up to now.
And also, Sunday as well, at 2am, I tried PokéRadaring some synchers, and...
Found a full odds shiny Budew accidentaly. And it apparently has two perfect IVs on HP and Attack.
Hopefully this means that shiny Growlithe is near?

I guess I’ll hop on this bandwagon and narrate my encounters and plans for future shiny-hunting plots.

In the past I’ve only ran across two shinies in the wild. Both were in Kalos, although one was on X and one was on Y. Additionally, they were both encountered at random, and sadly, both ended in failure. I’ll start in chronological order.

I received my copy of Pokémon Y in 2014 for Christmas. I had already completed the main story for X and was eager to play through and Y and obtain Yveltal. It was in the route just after Lumiose City where I ran across her in a feild of flowers. There she was, a shiny flabébé, in all her glory. I promptly caught her and hastily saved my game. I was so excited, I had finally caught my first shiny after playing the games for three years! It was just my luck that the game cartridge would be lost within a week, never to be found again. I was chrushed, but moved on, pledging to take better care of my possessions.

A few months down the road, I was taking a break from breeding, when I was heading through a cave in Pokémon X. I was accosted by a wild encounter and, in my annoyance, stared to click the escape button over and over again. My annoyance turned to surprise, and then horror, when I realized I had fled from a shiny Golbat. I then made a second promise to myself that day; learn some damn patience. Alas, if only I had learned sooner.

I haven’t ran across any shinies since and have made no attempt to attain one either. I’ve recently decided to play through both X and Alpha Sapphire and SR on the many legendaries found throughout those games, hopefulling kickstarting my collection as I await the announcement and release of Generation VIII. I haven’t gotten around to it yet, but with so much schoolwork to do, I’m sure I’ll use it as a method of procrastination. Wish me some luck, I’m sure to need it.

Ironically, I only ever found three shiny Pokémon in my entire life -- those being Raticate and Spinarak in second Gen. Johto and a Zubat in third Gen. Hoenn. I caught the Spinarak and the Zubat (both are now total beasts) and the Raticate was sadly beaten by my Graveler... Things that happen, I suppose.

Man, the Shiny Mon gods have been awfully nice to me lately. I have had insane luck in my recently restarted White version, and I'm only just past the Insect Badge. In short, I have run into 5 shinies within the span of 2 days. That's right, 5 SHINY MONS within 2 DAYS! My luck is NEVER that good, but for some reason I've been running into shinies like they're going out of style. Here's what I've got.

On the first day of my restarted adventure, I was doing some extra grinding (at least to the best of what was available) to get Nitro the Tepig to learn Flame Charge just before I face Cress. While grinding, I ran into a shiny Purrloin! I nabbed the little kitty, but she had a Modest nature, so I can't use her, but, hey, a shiny within the first 2 or so hours of gameplay isn't half bad.

Next, after winning my badge I went to the Dreamyard for Fennel. After dealing with Team Plasma, I started hunting for Munna while doing some Audino grinding as well. When I enter a shaking patch of grass, I ran into a shiny Musharna. I was floored: 2 shinies within 1 day!? That's unheard of for me. So I caught him and named him Dreamer. He has a Bold nature, which isn't too shabby, and I was thinking of using him, but I decided against it, as I would have to use TMs to teach him anything good (since he's a stone evolution Mon, so he won't learn anything new on his own now), and the fact my planned team already has three slow Mons on it (well... slow-ish in Nitro's case), so I didn't want to slow down my group any further, so in the box he goes.

Then, late last night, after helping Cheren rescue the little girl's stolen Mon, I was doing some catching and such when I ran into a shiny Pidove. I was like "WHAT!? ANOTHER ONE?!", but nevertheless she's now all mine. She's got a Careful nature, which isn't too bad, as it won't hamper her much, and Super Luck as an ability, so I decided to use her as a placeholder (plus I like both of Unfezant's shiny forms) and named her Hope (because... doves are symbols of peace and hope(?)). She's now a Tranquill and had a hand (or, um... wing) in helping me get the Insect Badge. She's doing pretty well so far, I will admit.

Moving on, this morning I fired up the game again. After taking care of Team Plasma in Pinwheel Forest, I decided to do some catching. As fate would have it, I ran into a shiny Sewaddle. I was floored yet again, as that was my 4th shiny in 2 days. He was a boy, sadly, as I prefer girls, but I caught him. Has a Quirky nature and Chlorophyll as an ability (I prefer Swarm, since i never use weather), so in the box he goes. But, hey, 4 shinies within 2 days is pretty good, especially for me.

And finally, after beating Bianca and Cheren, I started exploring Route 4. And, once again, I ran into yet another shiny, this time a Scraggy. Caught the little hard-noggin Mon, named him Skullz, but ended up boxing him due to his Timid nature. Oh, well, no big loss. At least netting my 5th shiny in 2 days is something to behold, especially considering my luck.

So that's my recent shiny adventures, all of which were totally unintentional and unexpected. I wish one of those shinies would've been my Gigalith, as I really like its shiny form, but Rockin' is, well, rockin' the battle scene, so I can't complain. But talk about insane luck, and my luck is usually bad, so this was quite the surprise.

Jesoz Crustle, Cynthia. I feel you are not gonna be getting any more shinies your whole life, you have spent all your luck on these two days.

Jesoz Crustle, Cynthia. I feel you are not gonna be getting any more shinies your whole life, you have spent all your luck on these two days.

*chuckles* Truth be told, I wouldn't be surprised if that ended up true. My usual luck is bad at best and dismal at worst, so, like any string of good luck, it'll be wiped out after all this and go right back to "normal". And it'll probably bite me at juuuuuust the right moment to add insult to injury. But stranger things have happened, and my life is very strange, so we shall see. But, again, I wouldn't be surprised if you were right.

Once again, sorry for the double post (though, again, the first one is ancient, so it might not matter), but got some new shiny updates.

Once again, I'm replaying one of my White versions. And once again I'm suddenly blessed with hordes of shinies. I kid you not. Let's start from the top.

While hunting for a Drilbur I ran into a shiny Woobat. It has a decent nature and whatnot, but I didn't want a second Psychic Mon on my team, so I boxed him.

From there, while searching Route 3, I found a shiny Pidove... AGAIN! That's my fourth shiny from the Pidove line (previous ones were Hope the female Pidove-now-Unfezant, Glide the male Tranquil, and Cyclone the male Unfezant, all from my last White playthrough). Named her Ravess (after the Storm Hawks character), and put her in the team, since she had a pretty good nature (Rash) and ability (Super Luck). She's now a Tranquil.

Finally, ran into a shiny Audino in Pinwheel Forest (was looking for the remaining two Ele-Monkeys). Tagged, bagged, and boxed her.

It makes me wonder something. Either this particular game card is just blessed with good luck, or Gen V knows I love it so it offers me mostly nice things more often than other gens. Who knows, because I sure don't. If I end up running into more shinies, I'm gonna start seriously questioning why my luck is so insanely good in Gen V games but dismal everywhere else.

Well, that sums up my recent shiny additions. Tune in next time for possibly even more shinies.

I shall help avoid the triple posting
So, a hunt I had been wanting to do since the beginning of the year finally happened. After getting my Platinum cart, I planned out hunting some Beldums. However, I also had to wait for the Outbreak to happen, so it took a while. It was good, as it gave me time to think of a strategy, as I never hunt without a strategy.

The problem with Beldum is:
a) It only has one move, with 20PP;
b) The move is Take Down, which has recoil damage;
c) The route it's Outbreak happens has Sandstorm the whole dang time.
d) It's catch rate is 3, and it's on gen 4. Beginning on gen 5, the catching difficulty got two times easier.

With all of that, I had to find the best way to catch it on Luxury Balls. Hell if I were to use a good catching ball.
I ended up catching two on Timer Balls, one kinda accidentally and the other purposefully, as I wanted to finish all of the hunt and go to sleep, but anyway.
After many drafts, I found the perfect strat:
Smeargle, with Spore, Endeavor, and 12-7% health. And as I'd have to use it multiple times, I had Soft Boiled on it as well, for the resetup.
A ghost with Skill Swap. I used Evil Fart a.k.a. Gengar.
Drifblim, with Pain Split (64BP, yeowch), Hypnosis (Egg Move), Rain Dance/Sunny Day and Defog, holding Leftovers.

The strategy is: have Smeargle Spore first turn. It'll then take 6% health damage from sandstorm, making sure it'll be KOed next turn by sandstorm. Then, Endeavor the low health into Beldum. Even if it wakes up, Take Down will only do 30% of the damage dealt, which should only be about 1HP. It'll still have other 4 HP.
Switch in the ghost. It's main point is to use Skill Swap on it, to remove Clear Body, which prevents stat loss. Hypnosis if you feel daring as the next Pokémon sets up.
Then here comes the star of the show, Drifblim. For this situation, Drifblim fits the best; high HP, and the access for the right moves. Defog shall be used to lower Beldum's evasion. 3 Defogs guarantees that an Hypnosis hits 100% of the time. Only 2 raises Hypnosis accuraccy to 99%, so I wouldn't risk a chance like that. Sunny Day/Rain Dance is used to remove sandstorm, which saves times and healing items. And the main point of is Pain Split. By using Pain Split when it's health is low, it'll recover Beldum's health and can keep it alive throughout Struggle. Which is insane.

By using this expensive and convoluted strategy, I managed to get not one, not two, not three...
BUT SIX SHINY BELDUMS! 3 of them were caught on Luxury Balls, 1 in a Premier Ball, and two on Timer Balls. Overall, this entire project cost me over 500.000 PokéDollars on used items, plus those 64BP on Heartgold for Pain Split, and a lot of time.
But it rewarded me with 4 Synchronized Adamant Beldums, 1 random Hasty Beldum and 1 random Gentle Beldum, which is way better than my previous Pokéradar projects; I usually only get one Pokémon of the synchronized nature, and everything else is random. Not only that, but most of them have decent-ish IVs, and so they shall be used for Battle Frontiering.
And even better, I can point and laugh at all the videos on youtube of "LIVE SHINY BELDUM FAIL".

They failed to catch one shiny Beldum.

I succeded on catching six.

Anyways, the sad part of this project is that I had to abuse the clock to do it. I advanced the Outbreaks to finally get it to appear. If I were to be normally waiting, I'd be able to hunt them in about 10 days.
I had been checking the daily Outbreak everyday for two months, and I'd have to wait another 2 months. I got really vivid when I found that out.
And the even greater part is that I livestreamed the whole chain and the first two shiny Beldums. It can be found on Youtube on it's undoctored 5 hours of trying to get a chain up.
And then another 4 hours of undoctored footage that consisted of:
a) Looking for a shiny Beldum at a chain of 36 for one hour;
b) Another hour to catch the shiny Beldum;
c) One more hour to find the second shiny Beldum;
d) 40+ minutes of Luxury Ball chucking.

And the other 4 shinies I hunted throughout the week. Which required me to keep my 2DS on, tho on Sleep Mode. Which I don't really like doing, but welp.

In other news; my longest on-going project, HeartGold shiny Growlithe, is about to make it's one year anniversary in about 10 days!
The count is probably over 15 thousand. I counted up to 1k, got bored counting. Found a shiny Spearow, restarted counting. Got to 8700 Random Encounters and got tired again. It's been over a month since that happened and I don't have any clue on what is the currect count.
Somebody please send help, I need my golden woofer soon or I'll go mad.

Well, I had a surprisingly good day in the shiny department today while playing HG (well, good for me, aka: not dismal). I still struck out in one case, but I ended up bagging two shinies today.

The first one was a shiny Hoppip in the grassy area near the Johto Safari Zone. I was using that area for grinding (and I still have some work to do) when I chanced upon said Hoppip. Nabbed it with a Quick Ball. I will say that Hoppip's shiny color is one of the few good looking green colored shinies out there. And it ends up fitting its Grass typing to boot. I don't think I'll use it, as the Hoppip line isn't high on my lists, but I'm not complaining either way.

The second shiny was a real nail-bitter. While doing the second part of the owner's test (catch Sandshrew) I ran into a shiny Marowak. Now, you know how most shiny encounters in Safari Zones end up, right? I felt I was doomed here. I chucked a Safari Ball, not wanting to take a chance with mud or bait. It burst out on the third shake, but fortunately stuck around. Tried again, it burst out again, but still stuck around. I felt my luck was going to run out, but I chucked one last ball. To my surprise, I nabbed it! But whew... I was almost sweating bullets, since most shinies in Safari Zones go bye-bye, so I feared this Marowak would do the same. It even came with the added bonus of a Thick Club! Talk about a stroke of good luck!

Sadly, that's where my luck ended. While in the same Safari Zone, I ran into a shiny Murkrow. To be expected, that crow didn't want to cooperate with me. I chucked a ball, it burst out right away, and then flew south right after. I did end up catching a Murkrow eventually, as it was on my to-catch list, but it wasn't a shiny (though to be honest, Murkrow and Honchkrow don't have nice shinies, as they look like pimps to me). But two out of three isn't bad, right? At least they make up for the shiny Sentret and Rattata I lost right at the start of my HG run.

I have finally obtained my first shiny in any pokémon game and it was through actual hunting to obtain one, something I’m mildly disappointed at. Alas, I won’t really complain about such a simple issue but I’ve always preferred random encounter shiny pokémon to hunted ones.

Anyways, having almost completed the pokédex in X I decided it was time to obtain my first shiny. I was sick of grinding out levels so pokémon could evolve and register in my pokédex and wanted a nice break. I picked a method, in this case chain fishing, and set out. Several hours later, with many failed attempts, I encountered a handsome shiny clauncher with a chain of 84. I love the shiny form of the clauncher line, as the orange and blue make a lovely combo, and can not wait to evolve him into a fearsome clawitzer. Now, I only need a nickname for him, but my research in that department is quiet disappointing. However, with some luck, I can hopefully find one and move onto hunting the next shiny for my collection.

Last edited:
So...I've lookd throughout this forum for help with shiny hunting specifically. I feel like this might be one of the only thread where I can ask for help here. So...I've beaten my game in Pokemon Sun; that means, I beat the Elite Four, completed the pokedex, that stuff. I'm interested in shiny hunting, but I don't know much about it. Neither how I can make encountering them easier (even with the shiny charm). So I'm asking for help on get started shiny hunting in Pokemon Sun. I already have the shiny charm, but I haven't been encountering any shinies. I understand that its supposed to be hard and rare to find, but I'm hoping there's a way to speed up the process or a way to find them easier. I hope you all can help me here.

So...I've lookd throughout this forum for help with shiny hunting specifically. I feel like this might be one of the only thread where I can ask for help here. So...I've beaten my game in Pokemon Sun; that means, I beat the Elite Four, completed the pokedex, that stuff. I'm interested in shiny hunting, but I don't know much about it. Neither how I can make encountering them easier (even with the shiny charm). So I'm asking for help on get started shiny hunting in Pokemon Sun. I already have the shiny charm, but I haven't been encountering any shinies. I understand that its supposed to be hard and rare to find, but I'm hoping there's a way to speed up the process or a way to find them easier. I hope you all can help me here.

This thread isn't exactly the place to ask something like this, as a question like this is better placed in the "Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Gen VII)" thread, but I'll answer it for you anyway, since you're new.

The most "effective" way to hunt for shinies in Sun is through SOS battles. Remember the Totem battles? Where a Mon calls for an ally to help it out? That's apparently the best way to find shinies in the wild. To provoke an SOS battle, lower any Mon to low health and have it call for an ally. When it does, just keep KOing the allies to keep the SOS chain going. Eventually you should encounter a shiny via this method, but it will be time consuming. To better provoke SOS battles, use Adrenaline Orbs that you can buy dirt-cheap from any mart to increase the chances of successful SOS battles (you only really need to use one per battle). Also, having certain abilities on your lead Mon, such as Intimidate and Pressure, will further provoke the chances of SOS battles. SOS battles also increase the chances of good IVs and Hidden Natures as the chain goes on. It's a long process, but be persistent and you'll get results in time. Hope this helps.

This thread isn't exactly the place to ask something like this, as a question like this is better placed in the "Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Gen VII)" thread, but I'll answer it for you anyway, since you're new.

The most "effective" way to hunt for shinies in Sun is through SOS battles. Remember the Totem battles? Where a Mon calls for an ally to help it out? That's apparently the best way to find shinies in the wild. To provoke an SOS battle, lower any Mon to low health and have it call for an ally. When it does, just keep KOing the allies to keep the SOS chain going. Eventually you should encounter a shiny via this method, but it will be time consuming. To better provoke SOS battles, use Adrenaline Orbs that you can buy dirt-cheap from any mart to increase the chances of successful SOS battles (you only really need to use one per battle). Also, having certain abilities on your lead Mon, such as Intimidate and Pressure, will further provoke the chances of SOS battles. SOS battles also increase the chances of good IVs and Hidden Natures as the chain goes on. It's a long process, but be persistent and you'll get results in time. Hope this helps.
o-oh! um....th-thank you..i-i'll ask questions like this..s-somewhere else but....thank you..

The last shiny Pokemon I've found was a Spearow in Pokemon Sun. It was fairly in the game too on the first island, around the cliffside where you fight wild Spearow from shadows overhead. Spearow was one of my favorite birds to use in Gen 1 and 2, so naturally I mained this bird on my main game after using a Premier Ball. Came up with the uncharacteristic nickname of "Peak" and since his nature geared him towards a boost in Special Attack (forgot which one. Mild? Modest?), I made him a mixed attacker with and taught him Work Up and Hidden Power. His HP variable was Steel type so that meant he could at least combat Rock types. Sure, Steel Wing would have been a better choice (power 70 and better suited to Fearow's higher base attack of 95 as opposed to 60 to 61) but if I ever use him competively, who would ever expect a Fearow to boost both attack stats and use Hidden Power?

...I know it sucks, but you make due with Shiny pokemon.

Found a Shiny Giratina on the first try today (I don't have the shiny charm).. I was going to catch it in a Beast ball but decided against it once it came up as shiny.. Unfortunately though the nature is Naughty but I'll still keeping it. It's my first Shiny Legendary minus events :p

Back
Top Bottom