• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

I just had a personal first in that I realized I caught a shiny 5 months after I caught it! It was in Legends Arceus. Yesterday I was scrolling through my dex just for fun and I was playing around a bit with the - (switch to shiny) and + (switch to alpha), but I was also scrolling pretty fast. I noticed a minus I wasn't expecting and I went back and saw I had a - on Bergmite. I honestly thought it was a mistake, but I hadn't played in a while and I had a pretty good amount of shinies in LA so I went into my shiny box (I always keep a shiny box in a game I have more than 1 shiny in) to double check and there wasn't a Bergmite. I had to do a box search for Bergmite and look at all 8 Bergmite I had before I noticed that I had, in fact, caught a shiny Bergmite back on May 9th! Bergmite has a semi-similar shiny form and I'm guessing I caught it at night so in the overworld it didn't look all that different and I guess I missed the shiny indication. What luck I actually caught it! Pretty exciting to find out 5 months late - and I'm glad I actually did eventually notice!

Yesterday, in Pokémon Sword, I caught a Vikavolt in the Max Lair that turned out to be a Shiny. In addition, an earlier Dynamax Adventure had yielded me a Shiny Kantonian Mr. Mime. And a while back, I accidentally ran into a Galarian Slowpoke that turned out to be Shiny.

Yesterday, in HeartGold, I was surfing in Union Cave to battle the Lapras, and encountered a shiny Quagsire. I decided to avoid weakening him and caught the critter in a single Dusk Ball. He is Modest and has Damp as his Ability.

Yesterday, in HeartGold, I was surfing in Union Cave to battle the Lapras, and encountered a shiny Quagsire. I decided to avoid weakening him and caught the critter in a single Dusk Ball. He is Modest and has Damp as his Ability.
Reminds me of the time when I was once traversing the Dark Cave in either HeartGold or SoulSilver and used Rock Smash to clear away a rock, and a Shiny Dunsparce popped out of it. Admittedly, the game was emulated rather than a physical copy, but still.

Just yesterday I hatched a shiny Lapras using the Masuda Method in Pokémon SoulSilver. I got my hands on a Japanese Ditto using the Poké Classic Network server. Funnily enough, I offered up a Ditto named "NonEngPls" and someone was kind enough to send me a Japanese Ditto in return. It only took 56 eggs! I named her Lily, after a friend of mine that loves the color purple. She has a Hardy nature with the ability Water Absorb. I actually tried to shiny hunt for a shiny Lapras back in X/Y when those games were still fairly new, but I never finished the hunt. Now I have! Granted, it's in Gen IV, but the search is indeed finished! I'm now shiny hunting for a shiny Swablu. Here's to hoping my luck holds up.

Today, I was EV training Sigilyph on Route 12 in X. I attracted a horde of Mareep, and one of them happened to be a Shiny one. I managed to catch him in a Repeat Ball, but was not pleased to learn he was Adamant, although I've never liked shiny Ampharos much to begin with. Then, I saved the game.

I'm currently playing Let's Go, Eevee! for the first time. Whilst traversing through Rock Tunnel, I spotted a Shiny Golbat and went for it right away. Good thing I had gotten some Ultra Balls for beating a couple Ace Trainers, since my Great Balls kept failing, but in the end, I caught it.

A week or so ago, I attracted a horde of Durant on Route 18 in X, and one of them was a Shiny. I defeated the other four and caught it in a Net Ball. I wasn't happy it was Brave, but at least it had Swarm and not Truant/Hustle. Then, I saved the game.

Last edited:
A few months ago while playing Legends: Arceus, I was chilling in the Obsidian Fieldlands and catching Bidoof to raise my rank. While getting my results, I noticed one of them had a weird mark next to it. It took a few seconds for the gears to turn in my head, but then... click I started jumping for joy. And then about a month later, while I was in the Alabaster Icelands catching Pokemon for the postgame, I managed to catch a shiny Lickitung. Cue excited screaming.

I recently started a new playthrough of Scarlet using only shinies, and at first it was a pain until I got a foreign-language Ditto (yet, spoilers, the Masuda Method didn't work at all for any shiny), and tried to shiny hunt a Houndour, a Rockruff, a Fidough and a Greavard with this method (yes, I love dog Pokemon). I was about to give up until I luckily found a shiny, full-odds Fidough outside Cortondo, and with the brown doggie I decided to press on. Later on, I hunted four others via mass outbreaks (it works far better than Masuda method, even without shiny charm or sandwiches), namely a Rockruff, Seviper, Corvisquire and Spoink. Then, as I was attempting to shiny hunt a Mudbray, I got a full odds Psyduck instead, which I gladly took to have my team of six shiny mons.

Progressing through the main story and some of the Dex, I kid you not, yesterday and today I got three additional full-odds shinies without even looking for them: a Makuhita, a Lokix and a Sneasel. So basically I'm playing with 9 shinies now! I still can't believe my luck of late. I don't even know which ones I will use for the Champion battle, but I assure you I will use all of them for the rest of the battles until I beat the game. Even better this way, because I avoid over-levelling my team, plus I get to use some cool extra shinies.

Last edited:
Today I got my second ever shiny from a Tera Raid. A bit lackluster tbh because it was a Froslass (which I almost didn't catch until I noticed its belt or whatever after defeating it) . Still pretty darn cool since I think they are rare.

A few weeks ago, I wrapped up my Let's Go, Eevee! playthrough by completing the Pokédex (excluding the Mythicals), catching a Shiny Magikarp along the way. The last Pokémon I hunted for was a Dragonite as a rare flying encounter. While searching for it using Lures, I also found a Shiny Rattata and two Shiny Pidgeotto. After finally catching a Dragonite, I decided to collect some rare Berries in Cerulean Cave, just in case I decide to return to the game later, and caught a Shiny Ditto while doing it.

I've been unusually blessed by the shiny gods in my most recent playthrough of Scarlet today. I got a shiny Combee (male, sadly) within the first 2 hours of gameplay. Followed by a shiny Hoppip (again) about an hour later. Then just before I closed up my game for the night I caught a shiny Skiddo while exploring. Three random, full-odd shinies in one day, that's a new record. It's like I always say: whenever I'm hunting for shinies they never appear, but when I'm just playing normally they fall into my lap.

Forgive the double post but the shiny gods gave me another random, full-odds shiny in my current Scarlet playthrough: a Mudbray. That's four random, full-odd shinies in the span of two days. Talk about surprising, as this kind of good luck is something I'm not usually granted. Needless to say I'm quite happy.

Forgive the now triple post. I was going to report another shiny encounter yesterday but got involved in other affairs. Now I'm glad I didn't, as another shiny came my way today. So I'll report both of them.

Anyway, yesterday, after finishing a Tera Raid Battle I turned around and started to head to the next nearest one... only to run into a shiny Lechonk. Caught it no prob. That's another random, full-odd shiny I've found.

And as of today, while exploring the oceans near the port town where the auctions take place I accidentally ran into a shiny Skrelp. One chucked Net Ball later and it was in the bag.

So, as of this post, I've caught six random, full-odd shinies in the span of four days. Since when is my luck ever this good? What did I do to make the shiny gods happy that they decided to bless me with six random shinies? Granted, I've had quite the dry spell in terms of shinies for a while now, but six in the span of four days? Really? I'm not complaining, mind, but this is ridiculous. With the exception of Masuda Method I've rarely, if at all, ever got this lucky on a single playthrough when it comes to random shinies. Whatever I did to please the shiny gods I'm glad I did it. Now I predict that after this abundance of good luck I won't find anymore shinies for quite some time. That's how it usually is with me, after all.

Forgive the now quadruple post but oh my god, what is going on here?! I ran into a shiny Oinkologne while searching for trainers near Larry's town so I can get the item from the league representive. That's seven shinies in the span of less than a week. Granted, I didn't play yesterday since I was busy helping my folks so the daily chain did technically break. But I mean, what's going on here!? Seven. Random. Full-odd. Shinies. What did I do to please the shiny gods that they felt the need to reward me so generously??? I'm at a loss here. I'm not complaining, mind, as I consider myself lucky to find just one random, full-odd shiny in any given playthrough. But seven?! Holy slag! This is insane luck that I'm not normally granted. Oi...

Well @Greninjaman , despite your best efforts, the shiny train keeps on chugging. And picked up a new passenger in the process. :LOL: That's right: another random, full-odd shiny has been added to this playthrough's collection. This time a shiny Flamigo near the lake where you fight the False Dragon Titan. I was just picking up items when I ran into it among a flock. So that's another shiny Mon that joined this crazy train. This. Is. Ridiculous. I've never been this lucky in finding random shinies in a playthrough that weren't Masuda Method. Well, whatever I did to make the shiny gods happy that they felt the need to reward me so much I'm glad I did it.

Back
Top Bottom