• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

Forgive the double post but while exploring the Cobalt Coastlands to finish some side-quests and collect wisps I ran into a shiny H-Growlithe. Managed to nab the little doggie. That's five random shinies thus far (not counting the guaranteed Ponyta, obviously) in one playthrough. This is why I love Legends Arceus (well, one reason, anyway) as shiny hunting is much more fun (plus the ever-useful shiny sound/sparkle effect certainly helps). Plus it's just so much fun to bag a shiny by being a sneaky sneak boy/girl without needing to actually battle it. But that's another shiny in my clutches and I'm quite happy.

I had double the luck in finding shinies today. I picked up my Breath of Fire-themed Scarlet game to prepare for the DLC. While exploring the beach near Iono's gym I found a shiny Mareanie. Caught her and tucked her away for now. Then I partook in a Fighting Tera Raid Battle (by myself) and it turned out the Haxorous that we were battling was shiny, too! After bit of a struggle I caught that bad boy, too. I can't believe I found two shinies within the span of roughly 10 minutes of each other. And before anyone asks, yes, this is the same Scarlet file where I was finding shinies left and right like there was no tomorrow. Only this time I have the Shiny Charm thanks to some earlier trades a few weeks back or so. At this point I've lost count how many random shinies I've run into in this file but I know it's a lot. But man, I've been on a hot streak with shinies lately, which is rather unusual for me.

My latest shiny encounter was Shiny Onix in Let's go Eevee. I even got it recorded here :

Best part is that the actual Catch Combo method involves catching the Pokémon you want to hunt after the 31st one, and the very next encounter with such Pokémon will be boosted. If it's not shiny, catch it then rinse and repeat. That shiny Onix happened to spawn right after the one that was supposed to have the boosted odds, so yes, very lucky !

In GO, I've had no luck through the Adventure Week, and only caught four Shiny Poliwag on the Community Day (a fifth ran away because I entered a black spot) and a Shiny Scyther in the lead-up; I did catch a 100% Amaura, at the very least. My friend had better luck, though. They caught four Shiny Aerodactyl, a Shiny Cranidos, a Shiny Kabuto, and (as a bonus) a Shiny Slugma. They also caught five Shiny Poliwag.

But today in Paldea, I had the fortune of finding five Shiny Pokémon in the span of two hours. The first was a Sunflora around the Ruchbah Squad's Base while catching Archipelago Pattern Vivillon and evolving Froakie/Dunsparce. About 20 minutes later, I caught a Shiny Pawmo in the same area. Later, I headed for Los Platos the to evolve some Level 1 Dunsparce I traded for in HOME who already had Hyper Drill as an Egg Move, and then decided to do Tera Raids around Cortondo as I waited for sunrise to evolve some Hisuian Sneasel into Sneasler. Two Shiny Pokemon were caught around here in the span of 10 minutes: Maschiff and (yet another male) Combee. Returning to Los Platos, I mass-evolved the Sneasel and ran into my final Shiny of the day: Scatterbug; I imminently evolved him into (Archipelago) Vivillon.

In Hisui, I'm currently trying to aim for Shiny Petilil, Goomy, and Scyther, but no such luck so far even with the latter's Dex entry perfected. Since the last post, I've only caught one Shiny Pokémon, by Mass Outbreak (Golduck).

Last edited:
My best shiny encounter has been one I didn't even notice. During the armarouge/ceruledge event, I went into an armarouge raid and caught it. Later, I sorted by shiny in home, and saw all of my expected shines... then just an armarouge. Apparently I caught it unknowingly, which made the rest of my day better.

A week or so ago, I was level grinding Staravia in Diglett's Cave in HeartGold, and a shiny Diglett popped up. I decided to not weaken him and threw a Level Ball, but failed. After several attempts with Level Balls, I threw a Dusk Ball and finally caught the critter. He is Modest and ironically has perfect IVs in Attack and HP. Then, I saved.

Ran into a shiny Rookidee in a new Scarlet playthrough. Full odds, too. I noticed it while in battle with an NPC on the way to the Klawf Titan. I was able to quickly end the battle and just as quickly catch the Rookidee. It's a female with an Adamant nature but has Unnerve. I'm tempted to use her but I've already got a Rookidee (now a Corvisquire) on my team and I'd rather not have to spend the needed time leveling her up to catch up to the rest of the squad (who are grossly overleveled because I spent way too much time catching Mons for the dex). But, hey, it's nice to get a shiny that I've been wanting for sometime now. Plus it's always nice to get a shiny in a new playthrough.

I had better luck with Shinies during the Glittering Garden event in GO last weekend. Saturday got me a Spritzee and Seedot, then Sunday with Petilil, and Monday with Swirlix. And then today, while I was looking for Passimian raids, I caught myself three more Shiny Pokémon: two Onix and a Spheal.

In Paldea, I've caught my first Shiny Pokémon in a Tera Raid (Flapple), but I'm not sure if the raid was legit or not as I was a guest. I've also caught a Shiny Mankey about 15 minutes after the Presents finished on Tuesday, and then a Shiny Shinx just last night before the Tera Raid.

A few days ago, I was level grinding Torkoal on Route 119 in Omega Ruby. I attracted a horde of Oddish, and one was Shiny. I took down all the regular Oddish and caught the Shiny one in just one Premier Ball. She is Hasty and sadly has the IV of zero in HP. Then, I saved.

havent been to these forums for a little bit, but i have a little something for this thread finally! playing platinum casually and i bumped into this adamant buizel outside pastoria a couple minutes after midnight today, my BDAY! \^7^/ funny part is i had just finished cursing his entire species for pursuiting a pokemon i was switch training dead >_>;; "tails" felt obligatory d: (i know it says the 12th, i have it set back 5 hrs for extra daylight shhh!!!)
20230813_132528.jpg
20230813_132544.jpg

Today, I was breeding for a Modest Smeargle in X and hatched a Shiny male one. It is actually the first Shiny I've ever hatched and not caught in the wild. Then, I saved.

I think a shiny got away in Pokémon go. I wasn’t paying the most attention so I’m not completely sure if it’s shiny and also I don’t do my best to catch it. I actually found a shiny pidgey in the same place before. I’m not too sad about it because I wasn’t investing any time into it.

Decided to hunt a Carbink in USUM today. Tried to hunt it when I was younger, but ultimately gave up. Glad I got it today though! :yay: (It also has suprisingly good IVs)
I wish I could've caught it in a Heavy Ball, but I didn't have any on hand :confused:

(I also found a bunch of GO Fest shinies today)
2023-08-27_20-27-51.157_bot.png
2023-08-27_20-28-54.746_bot.png

Found a shiny Sligoo in a Massive Mass outbreak group. It ran away a few times, but I reset and eventually caught it. Evolved it right afterwards and am trying to train it up.

It took me over a year, but I finally caught myself a Shiny Scyther (now a Kleavor) in Hisui; specifically, she was the guaranteed Alpha Scyther in the Obsidian Fieldlands, and I encountered her by chance during a Massive Mass Outbreak as I was heading for a Buneary outbreak. The same outbreak also led to a Shiny Lopunny during the second wave, so that's two Shiny Pokémon in three minutes.

Next day, I did another Massive Mass Outbreak in the Crimson Mirelands and went for a Petilil outbreak. As if I thought my double-luck from Scyther and Lopunny couldn't be broken, two Shiny Petilil spawned within seconds of each other. I didn't even have a perfected Dex entry for Petilil at that point (and still don't as of this post), so I really was lucky, especially for a Shiny I really wanted. Minutes later, I found and caught a Shiny Paras, so I had triple-luck.

And while I have yet to catch a Shiny Goomy, I did find myself a Shiny Hisuian Sliggoo in a Mass Outbreak. And then a Shiny Mr. Mime later on.

I caught 23 Shiny Pokémon during the GO Fest Weekend: Heracross, Sandshrew, Binacle, Shuckle x2, Snover, Barboach, Lapras, Luvdisc, Alolan Diglett, Galarian Stunfisk, Oranguru, Tympole, Pikachu x2 (Blue Crown and Green Crown), Beldum, Helioptile x2, Goomy, Timburr, Girafarig, Psyduck, and Fomantis. I also caught another Shiny Spritzee after the event ended.

While catching Mons for the dex in a recent Sword playthrough I encountered a shiny Chandelure in the Wild Area. Full odds and everything. It was lucky that I was able to get a Crit Capture with a Quick Ball when I encountered it so that heavily simplified things. I've always wanted a shiny Chandelure and now I got one. Talk about a lucky break, and I wasn't even shiny hunting or anything. It's like I always say: whenever I actively look for shinies they never appear, but when I'm not looking for them they fall into my lap. My luck in a nutshell. But, hey, I'm not complaining in the slightest. Got one of the coolest shinies out there without even trying.

Its been quite a while since I've shiny hunted or done anything shiny pokemon related, and I forgot the rush in adrenaline you feel when you see one.

I was flying through the Cobalt Coastlands in Legends Arceus and ended up finding a random shiny Glameow. I almost dropped my switch out of surprise, but that's not the point. Anyway, I caught it and added it to my collection, naming it Fluffball. Not the most creative name, but still a valued part of my shiny arsenal.

Back
Top Bottom