• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

This happened like two hours ago:

*insert wild battle theme here*
Me: Ugh, not again...

*shiny animation plays*
Me: Wha-?! OMG IT'S SHINY!!!

"A wild Swellow appeared!"
Me: YOU'RE MINE BITCH! *throws MasterBall* AW YEAH, BABY!! I GOT ME A SHINY!!

It looks quite nice next to my shiny Pidgeot :-D.

I found a shiny Starly on Pearl today - and it had to be in the Great Marsh of all places! I threw mud at it, thinking it would make it less likely to flee (I never understand how that system works) and it fled instantly. Gutted...

Stories like this are probably the biggest reason I stay out of Safari Zone-ish places except for the sake of dex filling. I lost my first shiny because it was a pidgey and it used whirlwind. I lost a voltorb due to it blowing up (I was chaining for ev training, not a shiny, so I wasn't prepared). I can't imagine running into one where it would run away.

My first shiny was in Platinum. Found a Camerupt on Stark Mountain looking for Magby to get a Magmarizer. Then when I learned how to EV train...... I have found roughly 11 shiny Bidoof. Put them all in the ''Trash'' box. Then I got into RNG'ing and PokeSav, so shinies are no longer special to me, sadly.

I've never understood that mindset. To me random encounter > chained > RNG'd > hacked/Poke Sav'd. I have some RNG'd shinies from Diamond and Platinum but they are my least special since I was guaranteed to get them. My chained ones are my second favorite because it took some skill and luck but was still a higher chance. My random encounter shinies didn't stop being the most special just because I could do the other two. I am confused by people who think getting easier shinies (especially through hacking) somehow makes other shinies less special.

This happened like two hours ago:

*insert wild battle theme here*
Me: Ugh, not again...

*shiny animation plays*
Me: Wha-?! OMG IT'S SHINY!!!

"A wild Swellow appeared!"
Me: YOU'RE MINE BITCH! *throws MasterBall* AW YEAH, BABY!! I GOT ME A SHINY!!

It looks quite nice next to my shiny Pidgeot :-D.

Why did you use a master ball? ._. Unless it is something that can get away or kill itself. Think teleporting abra, ralts, or kirlia; exploding voltorb, electrode, or graveller; whirlwinding pidgey; or beldum (since the only move it learns is a recoil one). If it can't kill itself and it's not going to struggle any time soon it's a waste of a masterball.

I was EV training lastnight and I ran into a shiny Patrat on Route 1. This is my second random encounter shiny while I've been EV training (the other was a Red-stripe Basculin a month or so ago).

So, let this be a lesson to all: if you want to find a shiny, just go EV training. xP

maybe 10 mins ago, I was battling some Woobats with my Dewott. I find a Roggenrola and I think, "oh great, another one". then I hear a sparkle noise and I see a purple-ish Roggenrola. I'll train it once I beat the E4, I wasn't planning on using a Roggenrola.

edit: I don't save very often, that is my downfall... my DS was in my pocket. I take it out to find it off, and I forgot to save. it's gone, but it had a crappy nature, though. lowered defense and raised speed. so... the only legit shiny I've had was a shiny Nidoking (which is an AMAZING shade of blue) from a pre-evo (forget which one) from the safari zone, and a green weedle that I fully evolved in crystal, just to see what it would look like. I have neither...

Last edited:
So today I decided that I wanted to try my hand at the masuda method. 8 eggs in and I found myself with a shiny snivy. Needless to say I'm quite content. ha.
I chained and caught a shiny skarmory today.

Last edited:
I don't think I'll ever understand how people hatch thousands of eggs. Just a few hundred to get a syncing abra of every nature has driven me nuts (still missing impish somehow). I'm going to keep trying to see if any come out shiny though, I'm starting to think it'll happen before I get the impish one. P:

Random encounters just seem so much less boring than egg hatching, even when I'm doing things online while hatching. I decided to pop into Wellspring Cave every now and then to see if I could get a shiny roggenrola... didn't happen. Though this did:

P7180092.jpg

So I'm not going to complain. P: I was a bit worried when she burned herself though.

I'm quite puzzled.. I got a Shiny porygonZ from the GTS and its location placeholder is ----------, I tried looking around on the internet in knowing what that means, but no result, I'd like it if someone could tell me what it means

I'm quite puzzled.. I got a Shiny porygonZ from the GTS and its location placeholder is ----------, I tried looking around on the internet in knowing what that means, but no result, I'd like it if someone could tell me what it means
Unfortunately, the Porygon-Z is hacked; created using an external device (and a poor job at that).

I caught a Shiny Male Boldore, now a Gigalith, on March 16, 2011.

This morning, at exactly 12:02 am, after 145 eggs, I hatched a Shiny Female Pansage. This Pansage is now a Simisage. I used Masuda Method for it.

I'm currently using Masuda Method to breed for a Shiny Snivy.

I found a shiny Pidove in White, which is now a shiny Unfezant. On one of my versions, I can't actually remember which, I found a shiny Ditto - which is now on my Black version. I have two Dittos - one shiny and one not, but simply because I like the shiny one more, I always use that one for breeding. Also, about half an hour ago, I was surfing around Route 1 looking for a Feebas (it was taking ages to even come across any Rippling Water) and I gave up and thought I'd try fishing for one. Not only was the first pokémon I encountered with the rod a Feebas, but it was also shiny! I'm really not fussed about the look of the shiny Feebas, but I've just looked up shiny Milotic and am very much looking forward to getting one!

Unfortunately I didn't encounter any random shinies in B/W yet. The most recent one was a shiny Bellsprout on my Nuzlocke run in LeafGreen, on November 11 last year. First encounter on that route too ;)

The only shiny I ever encountered was a shiny Machop in SS. It was at lv 12 and all of my other pokemon were at such a high level so I just threw a pokeball at it. Thankfully it worked =)

my frist and only shiner is a meditite. at the time i did not know what a shinie was but luckly i hadent regisered a meditite on my Pt pokedex and cuat it. i thought a another trainer released it cuz it had that littel star marker on its profile page XD

First and only shiny so far was a low leveled Geodude in the Union Cave in SS.

No luck other than that since.

The only non-hacked shiny I've ever seen was a Shiny Rattatta on a friend's Gold version. Until today, when I bought a used copy of Platinum. Whoever owned it before definitely hacked or glitched whatever, the pack has 995 of everything and freezes a way down the inventory. Also has a shiny Slowpoke, Koffing, Wingull, and two Gyarados. (Not to mention a couple dozen pokemon at 100) It's tempting to keep it instead of starting a new game like I planned, but forcing something to be shiny kinda eliminates the specialness, to me. Anyway. Maybe someday I'll see a legit one.

I never encountered any shinies, ever :( If I do have any, it's from events (you know, the events where the Pokémon that you get via wi-fi are always shiny :p)... I feel so unlucky, haha :(

never had a shiny (apart from event ones). I WANT A SHINY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shiny ponyta look quite cool!

The first shiny encounter I've ever has was when I was wandering through Shoal Cave at low tide and came across a shiny Spheal. As the time, I had no idea what a shiny pokemon even was, but I was still super excited and caught it. Just after, I quickly left and went to the pokemon center and healed my pokemon up--....Then promptly turned the game off, forgetting to save completely. ;_; I was shattered and spent the next week trying to find that amazing purple spheal, with no luck.

The first shiny encounter I've ever has was when I was wandering through Shoal Cave at low tide and came across a shiny Spheal. As the time, I had no idea what a shiny pokemon even was, but I was still super excited and caught it. Just after, I quickly left and went to the pokemon center and healed my pokemon up--....Then promptly turned the game off, forgetting to save completely. ;_; I was shattered and spent the next week trying to find that amazing purple spheal, with no luck.

Sorry to read that - I'd have loved a shiny Spheal. It's one thing to have a shiny, even if it's a Rattata or a Bidoof, but it's another thing entirely to come up with a shiny that you'd actually use in battle or in contests. Speaking of which, does Shininess count for anything in contests?

Jack

A shiny Chansey in my Diamond. I was looking for a regular one, and it caught me by surprise. It was random. I caught it at least a Year and a month ago. (7-2010)

EDIT: It was in MY LAST POKEBALL.

I am also hunting for a shiny Darumaka in my White. Via Masuda Method.

Back
Top Bottom