• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

I encountered a shiny geodude while I was searching for fossils in the ruins of alph.(YAAAAAY)
I resetted my soulsilver to see if I can encounter more shinies. I ran into a shiny zubat early into the game in union cave.
My brother found a shiny machop next to oreburgh city. But, I accidently released it...

I present to you fine folks this smug mother fucker right here, accidently hatched this morning.

hot damn.PNG

Wasn't expecting a shiny, but I'm not complaining.

Last edited:
Re: Shiny Bragging Thread? Shiny Bragging Thread.

Caught a Shinx on Pearl, hatched a Dratini, Larvitar, Beldum, Bagon, Gible, and Scyther.

Re: Shiny Bragging Thread? Shiny Bragging Thread.

I have many shinies, although most of them are not legit :p

But the only shiny i've caught legitimately is a Hoothoot -.- although it has sentimental value to me for private reasons

I randomly decided to train my Pokemon a bit in Victory Road before taking on the Elite Four in HeartGold and found a shiny Golbat. It's only my second shiny ever that I've caught.

One day when I was about to go to the Pokemon center in my SoulSilver gamr from Johto route 38 then go to bed I encountered a Shiny Miltank! The first Miltank I saw in the wild on that game. I transferred it to my White game.

I encountered a Shiny Amoongus from one of the fake items on Unova Route 10.

I've also got a Shiny Zapdos and Japanese Shiny Swampert from a giveaway on the Forums as well.

Once I was training randomly in Valley Wind Works in Pokémon Pearl and I came across a shiny Buizel, it fainted.

P.S. Can you guys give me some advice for Pokémon Black? I restarted my game and kept resetting (I can't soft reset because my R button is broken), I was determined to get a shiny Oshawott, and after 3 resets I got a female Oshawott instead. I saved the game. Should I delete it and continue my quest for a shiny or just be happy with a female Oshawott?

Last edited:
I encountered a Shiny Patrat a few weeks ago on Black version. I was traveling to Nuvema Town when I encountered it on Route 1. I decided to capture it; not for my collection (since I don't particularly like Shiny Patrats), but for trading purposes. I tossed a couple of Nest Balls at it, and I had it sent to my PC for storage after that. This marks the fourth random encounter Shiny I've found while playing the Generation 5 games, and the third one that I've found on Black version. I'm very pleased.

Okay in soulsilver I got a unown (H) for a shiny but I really wanted a shiny hoothoot or noctowl from Ilex forest so I been head butting a tree for 3 days and got a shiny pineco ....:( the reason I want a shiny hoothoot/ noctowl was because of ash got it from a forest....I'm still at it now!

About 30 minutes ago, I got a shiny Joltik. It didn't faint, I captured it, and now it's on my team for Black 2. I think I can objectively say that I now have the best shiny.

Aside from Red Gyarados, the only encounter I've had with a shiny was with a Meditite on Mr...Coronet is it?

And not too long ago I sold that game...forgetting to transfer my shiny. whoops!

A little more than an hour ago, I caught my first Generation V shiny and it just happened to be on Black 2. I was working my way through my first trek through Victory Road when an orange Throh appeared. At first, I couldn't tell if it was my eyesight (I really haven't put the game down since I got it on Thursday) that was making me see things or not. Then the little sparkle came and I realized what I was looking at. I was on my way to get my team healed so I had a couple of them fainted and I ended up wasting a few Revives reviving a bunch of them just so I could stay in the battle and I tried my hardest to not accidentally K.O. it. After quite a few wasted Ultra Balls, I managed to catch it in my 2nd or 3rd Great Ball. It will now be sitting in a box on my PC, unused, collecting dust but I am just so happy that I got my first Gen V shiny!

My current Shiny Collection
Random Encounter:
Donphan
Girafarig
Nidoran male (now a Nidoking)
Onix (now a Steelix)
Croagunk (now a Toxicroak)
Zweilous (now a Hydreigon)
Rattata (now a Raticate)
Ditto

Soft Reset:
Bulbasaur (now a Venusaur)
Charmander (now a Charizard)
Squirtle (now a Blastoise)
Latios (Enigma Stone Event in Heartgold Version)
Eevee

Via Global Trade Station trade:
Nidorina

Masuda Method:
None

By event:
Suicune
Entei
Raikou
Gyarados (from Heartgold)
Haxorus (from Black 2)

Hacked:
Mew

Ongoing Shiny hunting endeavors:
None

Last edited:
So on my first day of playing Black 2, I found a shiny Sunkern. I was sitting on the floor playing my 3DS (don't ask why) and I saw the last bit of a sparkle out of the corner of my eye. I looked at this Sunkern thinking "Is it a shiny?" - it didn't look different. I caught it anyway and checked the status screen - yup, shiny.

Here's my current list:

Random Encounter:
Machamp (Caught as a Machop in Japanese Pearl)
Ariados (Caught as a Spinarak in HeartGold)
Sunkern (Caught in Black 2).

Hatched:
Infernape (Hatched as a Chimchar in Diamond)

Event:
Milotic (VGC09)
Eevee x2 (VGC10)
Larvitar (VGC12)
Tyranitar (Evolved from VGC12 Larvitar)
Raikou x5
Entei x5
Suicune x5
Pichu x3
Golurk
Rayquaza

Others: