• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

They need to make the ability capsule able to switch to hidden ability as well. I now have two shiny frogadier. One with awesome stats but with torrent, the other has protean but terrible stats.
I would love to have an item like that. Really, I would.

I was able to get a shiny Golurk from one of my Ghost Safaris and the big fella is Adamant. Sure, he has Iron Fist but I'd really love it if he had No Guard but I have no way of changing his Ability, unless I want his to be a Klutz. It sucks, I admit and I'm hoping that in a future game, we'll get something that can fix that.

So last night I found another shiny in my Dark Safari: it was shiny Inkay number three. Caught in a Quick Ball and he has Infiltrator. But still no Pawniard yet. This is turning into another Sawk situation, I swear. Maybe I'll have better luck tonight?

Looking for another shiny frogadier. Instead, I find a shiny Gyarados. It has Moxie so i dont mind. Might actually use it eventually

Well, last night, I was breeding a male Torterra with a German Ditto (it had a nature I liked) so I could get a female Turtwig for some breeding experiments, and to my surprise, the second female in the third batch of eggs was a Shiny! I wasn't even TRYING to get a Shiny Turtwig, it just happened. Since Torterra is my favorite Grass-type, getting a Shiny Turtwig made me very happy.

Been having pretty great luck with chain fishing so far, last two times I tried it I got a shiny Qwilfish (named Fabulous) and a shiny Basculin (red stripped) pretty early on.

Yesterday, I was going around one of my Friend Safaris, and then poof, I found a shiny Gabite. First time I've caught a shiny (that isn't a Gyarados), and it only took me 2 months of searching to get it. Yay!

You know, in my memory, the only time I've ever gotten a shiny while trying to find one is when I chain fished a shiny Skrelp in Y. Besides that, they're all been completely unexpected and random.

You know, in my memory, the only time I've ever gotten a shiny while trying to find one is when I chain fished a shiny Skrelp in Y. Besides that, they're all been completely unexpected and random.
That's weird. For me it's just the opposite! I've only ever found one random shiny in the wild (Cubone in SS Rock Tunnel, I believe). I've never seen another random one even in XY where the shiny rate was doubled.

However, I've found over 100 shinies via XY exploits. And by 'exploits', I mean Friend Safari, chain fishing, Masuda Method, and horde encounters (and Shiny Charm). Fishing is by far the most broken way of finding them, but can be tricky unless you pay attention 100% of the time.

That said, I haven't found a shiny in over a week, despite me soft resetting for starters on Black and Black 2 simultaneously while biking in dark grass in White 2 (with Shiny Charm) and *also* doing the Friend Safari at the same time for over 4 hours a day. That's four games at once!

On top of that, I've been SRing for a Shiny Tepig in Black for a month and a half now. I've had horribly bad luck.

Edit: To break my 6 weeks of failure, I decided to go chain fishing and got a Shiny Relicanth in an hour. Not too bad. That just proves how ridiculous the method is.

Last edited:
Shiny Sandshrew.jpg
In a Nuzlocke, at least they have Shiny rules!
Found in Union Cave

I found a shiny, black Charizard!
... Af-after using RNG...
But then I found a shiny Bonsly!
... That one was legitimate...

Just hatched a shiny Helioptile! Not got outstanding IV's, which is disappointing, but its best are in hp, spttk and spdef, so it's usable.

I found a Shiny Adamant Purrloin earlier today on White 2! So awesome.
Also, a Shiny Oddish in the Friend Safari. :)

Found 2 shiny Wingulls and 1 shiny Seviper on hordes today (thanks to the shiny charm), plus a shiny Floette on Friend Safari. Overall, a very productive day.

Sadly, I was looking for shiny Taillow and Togepi. But I can always keep trying.

Just found a shiny Sewaddle in White 2! I've wanted one of these for quite a while, so I'm happy with this evening's hunt. :)

I'm coming to the conclusion that SRing for a shiny starter is absolutely brutal and I'm not entirely sure if it's worth it.

Did pretty good today. Found a murkrow in a horde, another Druddigon in a fs, and a geodude in a horde.

The geodude was no problem, just have a chingling with entrainment. Poof, levitate.

All these people are catching shinies... And I've just been sitting here for 7 years MMing, Radaring, more recently Chainfishing and Safaring. I have never seen a shiny in my game pop out. However, my sister caught a shiny Wooper in the Great Marsh. I've clocked in so many hours to these games. Either everyone else is really lucky, or the game is playing me...

I'm up to at least one shiny a day. I've given up on trying to horde encounter a shiny aron though. It's encounter rate is to low for such an opportunity.

I did, however find a shiny ekans in a horde today. Nice little green snake.

I'm up to at least one shiny a day. I've given up on trying to horde encounter a shiny aron though. It's encounter rate is to low for such an opportunity.

I did, however find a shiny ekans in a horde today. Nice little green snake.
Can't you just use a Pokémon with the Magnet Pull ability? Aron is part Steel type, after all. Granted, you won't be able to Synchronize, but it does make it easier.

I personally find Ekans to be much more annoying to encounter.

Back
Top Bottom