• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

I'm up to at least one shiny a day. I've given up on trying to horde encounter a shiny aron though. It's encounter rate is to low for such an opportunity.

I did, however find a shiny ekans in a horde today. Nice little green snake.
Can't you just use a Pokémon with the Magnet Pull ability? Aron is part Steel type, after all. Granted, you won't be able to Synchronize, but it does make it easier.

I personally find Ekans to be much more annoying to encounter.

That would make the durant easier to find as well and they're the reason its so hard.

Yesterday, I was going around one of my Friend Safaris, and then poof, I found a shiny Gabite. First time I've caught a shiny (that isn't a Gyarados), and it only took me 2 months of searching to get it. Yay!
Two months? That's pretty good, considering it took me around six to finally get that Sawk of mine. Sure, I got other shinies but man that Sawk was a major pain in the skidplate.

Even worse? My search for a shiny Pawniard is following a similar pattern. I'm afraid I'll fill my Safari box with Inkay or Sneasel before I find that bloody Pawniard. =/
All these people are catching shinies... And I've just been sitting here for 7 years MMing, Radaring, more recently Chainfishing and Safaring. I have never seen a shiny in my game pop out. However, my sister caught a shiny Wooper in the Great Marsh. I've clocked in so many hours to these games. Either everyone else is really lucky, or the game is playing me...
Sometimes it does feel that way.

It took me four months to Masuda myself a shiny Golett and months to lay hands on my shiny Sawk. I've had better luck with my shiny Golurk horde; they seem to pop up at a decent clip when I'm in the Safari. But yeah, it can get frustrating. Keep at it though. Eventually, the game will decide to hand you a shiny when you least expect it.

I'm up to at least one shiny a day. I've given up on trying to horde encounter a shiny aron though. It's encounter rate is to low for such an opportunity.

I did, however find a shiny ekans in a horde today. Nice little green snake.
Can't you just use a Pokémon with the Magnet Pull ability? Aron is part Steel type, after all. Granted, you won't be able to Synchronize, but it does make it easier.

I personally find Ekans to be much more annoying to encounter.

That would make the durant easier to find as well and they're the reason its so hard.
Ah, you're totally right. I forgot about all the Durants there!

I found a shiny Mareep after 3.5 hours of horde encounters today. That's my third one, so I might evolve a couple of them so I have the full shiny family (plus the Mega). :)

Shiny Scraggy says hi.

Its ironic. Was using Pikachu with static, which actually works for hordes, and i find a shiny scraggy instead of a shiny minun\plusle. Gonna try that again later.

But right now I'm in terminator cave looking for aron hordes. Decided to give it another try. Magnet Pull magneton really ups the encounter rate. Without it, i could sweet scent for an hour and not find an aron horde, but with Magneton its about every five encounters.

I found a shiny Karrablast in White 2 about an hour ago. :)

Plus, I was Magnet Pulling for Honedges on Route 6 and just now got a shiny one! It's Modest, which sucks, but I don't really care. This has been a dream shiny of mine since before I even saw its shiny form. I just love Honedge that much. ♥

Shiny aron is mine! Took me two days to find it, but i finally found one. I had a shiny aron in emerald and i wanted to use another one. So yay me.

All these people are catching shinies... And I've just been sitting here for 7 years MMing, Radaring, more recently Chainfishing and Safaring. I have never seen a shiny in my game pop out. However, my sister caught a shiny Wooper in the Great Marsh. I've clocked in so many hours to these games. Either everyone else is really lucky, or the game is playing me...

Don't worry, I've been going through the same thing for most of my Poke-career. The chain fishing has been the only method I've used that actually works for me (though I ended up with a chain of 192 hooks... yeah, I'm stubborn and persistent), but I've had little to no luck in the Friend Safari. MMing has also left me high and dry with the exception of that Turtwig I mentioned earlier, which was sheer chance, not deliberate. And Radaring has landed me nothing (I keep screwing up the chain), so I'm a big failure in that department. But I know how you feel. I've spent hours searching the FS and have come up empty-handed, and they say that's the best place to find shinies. So I know how you feel, having spent hours hunting and coming up with little to show for it.

Found shiny Golurk number four last night: Docile with No Guard and three IVs... but little else. He's perfect in HP, Defense and Speed but his Attack is absolute zero and he comes in as "above average" in potentail. Slag. May use the big lug during a playthrough on OR; he'll be fine in game. As for the Pawniard, I'm going to try and hunt that little snot down tonight. Shiny Pawniard, you will be mine!

Two months? That's pretty good, considering it took me around six to finally get that Sawk of mine.

Six months?! I had no idea!

Same here. Technically I have encountered one (a Magneton), but I mucked it up (don't ask) and now I want it to be my first non-gift shiny with no external help.

As a kid, long before I got to know that every single Pokemon could be shiny found at random, I could have sworn that playing Gold I encountered orange Caterpie. I rubbed my eyes and took it as optical illusion, because when holding the GameBoy under the right angle the colors are disfigured, and, coincidentally, green would look like orange. I don't remember the sparkle intro, but I might have not pay much attention, not expecting to find anything special in Ilex. I don't know if I didn't have any Pokeballs, but I just let the little fellow free. Was that first shiny in my life, other than Gyarados? I will never figure that out.

Other than that, Taillow in Ruby and Herdier in Black~

Last edited:
I found a shiny Vanillish in White 2 and a shiny Electabuzz in an X Friend Safari. :)
Not sure if this counts, but I've also been trying to get a few from the GTS. This morning, I found a shiny Rapidash, shiny Simisear, shiny Simipour, *and* shiny Sandile. Last night, it was shiny Braixen and shiny Diggersby.

Rolling in shinies! :O

Earlier today, I was complaining to Prime that my Dark Safari hated me; I had been trying to get a shiny from there with no luck. Not ten minutes later, I finally ran into a shiny female Pawniard. She's Adamant with Defiant and although her stats ain't great, she's perfect to me. I named her Lyuze and she's in a nice, comfy Luxury Ball. I've already gotten her a Best Friends ribbon too.

Now I'm at a loss as to what I should hunt next. I might take a little break from the Friend Safari for a little while, to be honest. It took a bit to find that Pawniard, after all.

I think you never do forget your first shinies. My first shiny was way back on the original silver. A girafarig and sentret. But they're gone now.

But my first shiny I still have is my Hasty Aggron from emerald. Crappy nature, but hey i like him.

Random Encounter:
Aggron
Golbat on Platinum
Golbat on Soul Silver
Absol and Clefairy on White
Sewaddle on White 2

Horde Encounter:
Murkrow
Aron
Zubat
Whismer
Geodude
Scraggy
Gulpin
Ekans
Bellsprout

Friend Safari:
Trapinch x2
Camerupt
Larvesta
Noibat
Drudiggon x2
Gyarados
Panpour x3
Frogadier x3

MM:
Charmander after 700 eggs.
Axew, now a Haxorus after 20 eggs or so. Wasnt even trying for a shiny but when i breed for a stuff i always have a Japanese ditto in there.

Chain fishing:
Seadra

I'm terrible at poke radar chaining. Haven't gotten anything from that.

I FINALLY found a shiny Timid Lampent! The (semi) perfect shiny Chandelure is really mine! I found one before but it had a Brave nature (ouch). The IV's aren't the best, but I already have a 6IV Chandelure, so nonetheless I'm really stoked!

I found my third shiny Dedenne last night while searching for a shiny Luxio.

I'm also trying to SR for a shiny Sudowoodo in Heart Gold but I might give up if it goes over the odds. It's pretty tough going but the Poké is so pretty as a shiny.

Today I hatched a Shiny Eevee with perfect IV in HP, SpA and SpD. Now, with eevolution should i go with?

Back
Top Bottom