• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

When I did some Wonder Trading late Wednesday/early Thursday morning, I was traded not one but TWO shiny Pokemon. One is a level 100 Lonely Mudkip and the other is a level 100 Lugia with Multiscale named "AH MAH GAAAAAAD". If they're hacked I do not care, for they are shiny. :)

Just caught a shiny Oddish while EV training in Alpha Sapphire. First time I've encountered a shiny via a horde battle.

Last night, I loaded up two more boxes worth of Pokemon with Custap and Rowap berries and Wonder Traded them off. I'm nearly done with my first box and what am I sent? A freaking shiny Lapras holding a Never-Melt Ice. Welp, gonna keep this guy.

I started to breed the HA Johto starters for a friend and the first one I stared to breed was Meganium. The very first egg to hatch was a shiny Chikorita!

Got Wonder Traded a shiny Houndour by someone so I'm keeping it. I also finally got out of my FS shiny drought-I caught a shiny Lampent with its HA last night. Nature kind of sucks--it's Brave--but that's okay. I have another shiny. (Now where's my slagging shiny Brave No Guard Golurk?!)

Got a Shiny Entei from GTS last time
and this just happened today, I was checking the Pokemon in an ice safari and the first encounter was a shiny Delibird.

if it have purple ball, it might be an event Entei. i got 4 XD
It was in a Masterball alright, but I don't think it's an Event. The event one would be in a red ball(Cherish). Shiuld this one be legit, it should be the one from HeartGold or SoulSilver.

I was wonder trading away breeding leftovers, I got a shiny Nintailes. Later after I placed an Aerodactyl on GTS, someone gave me a shinty Bennet. It must be my lucky day today. :D

And 2 days later, I got a shiny Goomy through wonder trade when sending two boxes of Buneary through wonder trade for Easter.

Last edited:
Started to train the Beldum Steven gives you after beating the game. First encounter on Route 101? Shiny Zigzagoon. Caught it. Now I feel obligated to raise it at some point, haha.

Got a shiny Greninja from Wonder Trade. I wouldn't complain despite of having two shiny Greninja already, but I'd love to give him a better nickname. Nothing is perfect however.

Finally got the shiny Eevee in Omega Ruby that I had been looking for for a while. That makes my third shiny (not counting one I got from a wonder trade), and my first shiny that I was actually actively looking for. In the past I got shiny Shuppet and Pikachu as random encounters without actually looking for them. I'm going to try to go for shiny Vulpix next since that's one that I've always wanted (I love Vulpix's shiny color, gold looks so pretty on it). As far as this Eevee goes for, I'm planning to evolve it to Sylveon, since not only is it my favorite Eeveelution, but it's also the only one alongside Umbreon with a shiny color I really like.

Stories about my first shinies of each type:

* First shiny: I didn't know that shiny Pokemon existed until I looked it up way back in 2003/2004. And after seeing Spoink, I decided to get it. 2 hours later I managed to obtain Blackorb the Spoink. In hindsight, I realize I was lucky
* First Random: It's been ages, but it was either a Golbat or Machoke in Leaf Green
* First Soft Reset: That would be Rayquaza from Pokemon Ruby. Like Spoink, I was relatively lucky-I got it in a single day. Immediately Master Ball'd it
* First Masuda Method: Done relatively late. With my Shiny Charm in X and Japanese Ditto,
* First trade: I traded away my shiny Spinda for an event legendary. On the flip side, I was on the GTS looking for a Hitmontop. I just wanted one to fill my Pokedex, and I had to trade my Slowking for it. The best part? That Hitmontop was wearing pink
* Most memorable encounter: My first playthrough of Pokemon Platinum had me looking for Pokemon in the Great Marsh. What did I find? A pink Quagsire. The greatest fear of any shiny hunter-a Safari Zone shiny. First Safari Ball? Failure. I was panicking. Second Safari Ball? Success!

Not including event Pokemon:
First shiny was a random encounter with a Golbat in Snowpoint Temple on Pokemon Pearl - after 600+ hours. Had absolutely no idea what it was at the time but thankfully caught it.
Next was a shiny Magikarp via chain fishing in X and Y.
A shiny Joltik after a DexNav chain of 250 in ORAS.
Then a level 100 Ursaring through wonder trade in ORAS.
Via Mesuda method - Rotom (92 eggs), Litwick (267 eggs), and Magnemite (366 eggs). Again, all in ORAS.

Last edited:
Just hatched my shiny Marill today and I'm pretty happy about it. It's not perfect (the five IVs passed to Att, Def, SpA, SpDef, and Speed) but it's nonetheless still a good one. That makes my first Masuda method shiny for Gen VI.

Back
Top Bottom