• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

My first ever shiny encounter was on Crystal years back, it was a shiny Zubat I found in Slowpoke's Well.

My first shiny encounter on X was an Electabuzz with a Jolly Nature in the FS. It's now a powerhouse for me in Electivire (nicknamed Elevoltire), and weirdly also has max IVs in both attack & speed, since then I've found quite a few. The last two days I've been safari hunting for a shiny Frogadier or Wartortle but have had no luck so far...

Okay, I myself never encountered a Shiny, but a friend of mine did, and I wanna share that story.

So I'm on Skype with my buddies, and one of them is playing Pokemon. I don't know which one, but she was Surfing and ran into a Magikarp. It was a voice-chat, so we heard her go "Huh. Weird."

We asked what was weird, and she goes "Oh, a buncha starts popped up when it showed Magikarp."

"CATCH IT! OH MY GOD, CATCH IT, CATCH IT, CATCH IIIIT!"

She started freaking out but did what we said, and we're all celebrating and screaming and YOU DID IT! and she's just

"Uh. What did I just do?" We had to explain Shinies to her, and one of the guys got mad because he'd been Shiny-hunting for days, and here she is getting one by accident!

My first random shiny encounter was a male Larion in Alpha Sapphire. I had a mini heart-attack and I kept throwing Ultra Balls till I caught it (Lucky I had plenty of them at the time). I traded it over to my Omega Ruby Version.
My second was In X with a herd of wild Houndour with the female shiny in the center. That was traded to my Y version.

Hey.
First shiny, a random encounter Floatzel in Y.
Next, I got a Marill by horde hunting in OR, which evolved into an Azumarill.
Then, a Latias, found on the FIRST ENCOUNTER in OR, from Eon Ticket. (I was planning on running and re-fighting it until I got a shiny, but that works.)
Up next, a random encounter Duskull as my FIRST ENCOUNTER in Mt. Pyre in an OR Wonderlocke I did. (Which I clearly did not Wonder Trade)
Then, a Friend Safari Magcargo in X.
A Friend Safari Tangela in X, evolved to a Tangrowth.
A Soft Reset Reshiram in OR.
A horde hunted Zubat which became a Crobat in OR.
A Friend Safari Pancham which became a Pangoro in X.
A random encounter Flabébé in a Y Water-only run.
A soft reset Kyurem in OR.
Then, I got the shiny charm in OR. Every single one of these other shinies was obtained without the charm.
Since then, I've bred a shiny Fennekin in OR.
I am currently breeding for a shiny Horsea to evolve into Seadra, in OR.

I've started actively playing my Y version again to try to fill up my Pokedex. About a week ago, I realized I still hadn't caught Zygarde or Mewtwo in that game so I went to do that. I wandered around Terminus Cave for awhile using Super Repels to get more easily through and to save my team for all of the Trainer battles on the way. I left to go heal my Pokemon before going to face Zygarde. I hadn't yet had a chance to use a Super Repel as I made my way back through the first part of Terminus when BAM a shiny Sandslash appears. I was shocked! I managed to catch it and held off on using the Repel as I made my way to Zygarde in case I ran into another one.

And just yesterday I decided to check out my Friend Safaris as I knew there were some Pokemon I could find there that I wanted. As I was wandering around a Fire-type Safari looking for a female Charmeleon, a shiny Magmar pops up!

Two shinies in about a week on the same game! I haven't had more than one non-SR'ed/non-PokeRadared shiny on a game since Gen III, though I'm pretty sure I won't be using either of them. They'll just be sitting nice and pretty in my PC.

I also remembered just now that a while ago I got my first shiny outside of Gen 6, being a lemon-lime Woobat in the Clay Tunnel.

TLDR : First Shiny
-Currently 27
-First pokemon game Blue
-Played pokemon since I was 7-8
-Never encountered shiny except those of story
-Plays trough AS for second time 2 months ago
-Goes fishing
-Find pokemon
-Shiny Golden Magikarp
-FML

A few days ago I got a shiny Latios, Swablu, and Lotad within a few hours. It was nice.

My first shiny ever was a Nidoran (F) in Silver. My memory over the years tended to blur a bit and kept making me think it was a Nidorina, but I distinctly recall catching it on Route 35, so it had to have been a Nidoran.

My second shiny was a Wingull near the very beginning of my Emerald playthrough. My mind was blown.

My third and fourth shinies were both caught in X years and years later. A shiny Pyroar in the Friend Safari and a shiny Tauros in the wild.

I had been working for two straight days on SRing Regirock on Alpha Sapphire. I got the shiny charm and thought it wouldn't be -that- hard. I got sick and tired of it and decided to change it up and try SRing on Soul Silver for a shiny starter, just to do something different. I told myself I'd stop after 200 encounters and go back to Regirock. 178 resets latter, Shiny Totodile! I was amazed and happy :D

I figured I'd try soft resetting for a shiny Legendary, so I tried Palkia. It's only my second try and I was really shocked when I saw those stars. Definitely wasn't prepared for this, all I have are normal pokeballs, I'll see what I can do though

Edit: I accidentally ran from it while trying to check the moves on the Lake Trio. I'm not giving up tho

Last edited:
I accidentally ran from it while trying to check the moves on the Lake Trio. I'm not giving up tho

I'd have thrown my 3ds, good luck next time. You'll make it!

I got a female shiny ralts yesterday when I was breeding for Bulbatrade, love it because I bred it in a moon ball and it matches the dark dress of the shiny form more.

Pleasantly unexpected encounter.

Was heading to Twist Mountain to get Regigias in my W2 when I ran into a Karrabast and a Shiny Female Tranquil.
Luckily had my Munna and Samurott in my lead so I was about to False Swipe it and snag it.

My Munna also had Synchronize and is Adamant so my Shiny Tranquil doesn't have a completely useless nature, which I usually end up with finding wild Shinies..

I managed to get a shiny Aggron off of Wondertrade and as far as I can tell, it's legit.

The same friend who got me that shiny Bulbasaur (now my boyfriend) also surprised me with a shiny I'd wanted for ages: A shiny Scolipede! I was in disbelief that he'd do that for me after getting me Bulbasaur, so I was very much touched and I am eager to repay him by breeding him one of his classic favorites, Umbreon! <3

It seems all my shiny encounters have been in the least expected moments. I can spend ages on DexNav in Omega Ruby, or Horde hunting in Pokemon X and not get any luck, but it seems when I do, it's at the most random of times.

My first shiny I ever encountered was a Shiny Hoothoot on Pokemon Soulsilver. I was trying to train up my Togepi at night, and was just running around getting encounters. I encountered a lot of Hoothoot, and was honestly sick of seeing them. I see the blacked out sprite of another Hoothoot and sigh when suddenly it lights up and it's frickin gold. Im in the car while this happens, while my dad is rather pissed off, so I have to contain my excitement, but it was amazing. I named him Creston, fancy bird he was. Sadly do to a corrupted cartridge (i have no idea what happened to it) I lost this Hoothoot recently. But he'll always be in my heart.

My second shiny was in Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, when I was attempting to do a nuzlocke, which I eventually quit. I was chasing after the Aqua grunt, on the route to the right of Rustboro City (route 8?). Now I've done shiny hunting on Omega Ruby here many many times before, but never any luck. So I'm just running through the grass, following the Aqua Grunt, and I get an encounter. I'm frustrated, because I just want to get it done, when I hear Tailow's cry, and a sparkling sound. I open my eyes, and there it is. A beautiful green Tailow! I was alone, so I screamed with joy, and caught it. After I saved, I battled with the Aqua grunt, then went back to the Pokemon Center and checked on my Clickers (what I named him). I transferred him over to my Omega Ruby, after I decided not to do the Nuzlocke, and evolved him there.

My third, and most recent encounter was today, and I'm so hyped. It's been about a year and 6 months since my last shiny encounter, and trust me I did a lot of hunting for one since then, but no luck. Recently I had been doing some shiny hunting on my Pokemon Y game, so I had a few good pokemons that I kept on Omega Ruby over on the Y cartridge, including my main shiny hunting mons, and the first Pokemon I raised to level 100, my umbreon, Ratio. I sadly lost the cartridge, and while I haven't given up hope in finding it, I trade a shiny Darkrai I got over wondertrade for a new high level Umbreon, so he can fill the spot again on one of my battling teams, but I also needed to replace my shiny Bellossom (also one gotten over wondertrade), who was my main shiny hunting pokemon. So I fly over to one of the Mirage Mountains, the one with Happiny, Tangela, and Audino, to train on the Audino. I click on Audino and search it, but nothing comes up the first few tries, so I just walk around till a Tangela appears on the Dexnav. I battle it and let it faint, then press search on Audino. I get one and think "Wouldn't it be funny if I got a shiny while training up my shiny hunting Pokemon?" I laughed and encountered the Audino. Purple Audino, right there. I gasped. I was so happy. My heart started pounding and I slowly went into the bag and got a quick ball. I got it, first ball and named it Brynnlee. Im so hyped over my little baby right now. I just put the Audinite on her, after taking it off of my competitive Audino.

Back
Top Bottom