• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

On Wonder Trade, I got a shiny Jirachi.
At first, I was excited because the OT was Tanabata, and when I googled the Tanabata events, there had been a 2014 shiny Jirachi distribution, so I was certain I got an official one.

Until I discovered it was not holding a ribbon like it should... Ah well...

I'm quite honestly surprised there have not been more of you getting shinies from the Masada Method this Gen.. I know it's been debated whether the chances have truly improved, but with the ability to simply reset the chain and getting the 1/512 odds to roll again is huge. I've got a ton of shinies this Gen, and five of them came within the first ten eggs of new chains.

Now, granted, I went above and beyond with a buddy Ditto chaining (he's playing on a Spanish DS) to where we both caught 5IV monsters and swapped, so I can effectively Masada anything. If any of you posting in this thread don't care about that and just need any foreign Ditto, I have a few in my boxes I can give away for nothing.

My biggest problem is that work and school are eating my life so I don't have time to Masuda :\ which sucks cause I wanted a full shiny team for my Moon playthrough. Dear life: please stop.
That just means you're doing the right things in real life! But with the Masuda method, I'm getting a shiny every 389 eggs... So it's not anything insurmountable.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1592572575.jpg
    Snapchat-1592572575.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 45
My biggest problem is that work and school are eating my life so I don't have time to Masuda :\ which sucks cause I wanted a full shiny team for my Moon playthrough. Dear life: please stop.
Apparently, there's a bit of an exploit in Sun and Moon that can get you shinies faster. I'm still trying it out, as the few times I've done it the method hasn't worked for me but here you go: ‘Pokémon Sun And Moon’ Shiny Breeding Exploit Found?

I'm hoping that this will get me my shiny Chimchar, as I've been hunting for about 15 months now. I can't use it on Sawk or Golurk, though, which is a massive shame.

Not counting some shinies I got from Wonder Trade, such as the Naive Genesect and Calm Registeel (in a Timer ball), as well as a shiny Glameow with its Hidden Ability and perfect IVs which may or may not be hacked, I discovered a shiny Hoothoot when hatching Eggs in the Pelago. It was surprising since I didn't not expect there to be a shiny, but I am now in possession of a golden owl that sadly doesn't have its Hidden Ability (but has a decent Timid nature and max IVs in HP, Def, SpAtk and SpDef so it's not all bad).

Thanks for reading.

Wh.. W... Wha... W... Why...
WHY DID I FIND ANOTHER SHINY GOLDUCK WHILE TRYING TO LEVEL UP A POKÉMON OUTSIDE OF THE BATTLE TREE?

Now, where is my shiny Comfey? I've hatched over 1000 eggs probally already. Where is my shiny Type: Null? 9000 resets and nothing. Freaking hell.

I haven't done a lot of shiny hunting in the past few months. Kind of got bored of it. I occasionally hatch eggs for Mareep, nothing there. Might switch to a different Pokemon to breed, since I had to take the Mareep out to get some other breeding for an egglock I'm doing, so maybe I'll go for Shiny Chimchar instead.

A couple weeks ago though, I felt in the mood for some SOS hunting. Since I'm working on getting all the shiny eeveelutions, I thought I would do that. Got it in 43 encounters, and not only was it shiny, but it was a female one too. I named her Lumi and evolved her into a Glaceon. It really was a fast shiny, and very rare too. My first shiny eevee, whom I evolved into Sylveon, took me like 785 encounters, and the second one which got me an Espeon took 217. It really is just random. That was my second shortest SOS hunt, the shortest being an Alolan Vulpix with 18 encounters.

I got my first shiny in a very long time today! I was backtracking in Sun for berries at the various trees when I suddenly found a shiny Spearow! I threw a Quick Ball right away and nabbed her. Named her Goldfeather not only because of her color, but as a pun on the Godfeather from the old Animaniacs cartoon (funny how I still remember that, but those were good times). This was my first shiny in ages, and it was totally by chance, as I was trying to gather more berries for farming. I think my last shiny was a Magcargo in Y, though I might have to double check on that, since I've been playing various games on and off for a few months now, but it's been a while regardless. But at least it's my first shiny in Alola, which I'm happy about, and I wasn't even trying to find a shiny (I pretty much gave up on that ages ago, as my luck with RNG tends to be dismal at best). But I'm pretty happy right now.

Decided to make use of the Friend Ball Oranguru that I had got a while back, and decided to breed one. Just breed some IVs onto it, not actually breed for a shiny.
Then I decided to breed for a shiny anyway. He was Korean and was being bred with a Japanese Ditto anyway, so why not.
25 eggs later, the purple forest dude appeared.
I think this is Arceus giving me a sign. A sign to not breed for a shiny Comfey. He gave me a random Jolly Golduck, and now a quick shiny Oranguru. Guess I'll be grateful and leave the shiny Comfey be.

However, if this was a sign to abandon the shiny Type: Null...
Well, sorry Arceus, not doing that.

I hatched a Shiny Mimikyu today!!! It was an accidental MM, I was just breeding for a 5 IV one using two Mimikyu I'd gotten from WT. My Mimikyu is Adamant, has 4 perfect IVs, and is in a Moon Ball.

This is the second time I've hatched a Shiny in Sun. I still don't have the Shiny Charm, so I suppose I'm very lucky.

When I bred Hidden Ability Pokemon for the GTS, on the off chance somebody actually put their Hidden Ability Pokemon up for trading, I produced some Hidden Ability eggs. When I put the rest into the Poke Pelago after trading (and failing to get the Pokemon with Hidden Ability), and coming back, I found out I have a shiny Yanma, with its Hidden Ability! I guess the Shiny Charm is working its magic, because it felt like I am getting shinies a bit more frequently.

As for the shiny Hoothoot I hatched earlier, I donated it to somebody on GTS to give the requester a neat little surprise.

Thanks for reading.

Again, must preach. Swap breeding to reset chains is the best route. Got another today in 16 eggs. Lucked out because I cut the chain after that egg, due to getting my female. I swapped in a Zubat to get Confuse Ray and Haze, but oh well. I'm jacked.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1219980578.jpg
    Snapchat-1219980578.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Snapchat-1580651047.jpg
    Snapchat-1580651047.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 41
Well, I had an interesting case of deja vu while playing Moon today. I caught a shiny Zubat. Why is this a deja vu moment? Because Zubat has been the main shiny Mon I've encountered in my many years of Pokemon (not counting the red Gyarados in the Johto games). I caught one in Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond, Platinum, SoulSilver, White 2, Y, and now Moon. Clearly the bat has a thing for me, as I've caught at least one shiny Zubat in each of those mentioned games, with Platinum netting me two. Either that or the RNG gods are messing with me once again (like always). It's been THE most common shiny Mon I've encountered. The Geodude family is also common for me, but their tendency to use Self-Destruct/Explosion often robs me of them. But either way, I often end up with a shiny Zubat at one point or another, and today was no exception. I guess I have a thing for bats, or they have a thing for me.

Bred about 120 eggs to hatch today, and I did that all this morning, no luck as per usual. I decided to go for a Shiny Rowlet with them, but like I said, Masuda doesn't like me much. I know I'm no where near odds with it yet though.

But SOS still seems to love me (watch my next hunt take me forever). Because I really wanted a shiny today, after hatching my eggs I switched over and did some Fomantis hunting. Got the shiny at 57 encounters. I think I have done Fomantis SOS before, but I never recorded how many encounters I did. I think around 100 or so though. I named her Graciana and just finished evolving her to a Lurantis. Very pretty shiny. I'm debating now if I want to go for another shiny in Sun, or switch over and do some HGSS starter resets, or just finish up shiny hunting for the day.

The Masuda Method has always been something I've wanted to try. That is how I initially started shiny hunting. But I didn't have the patience for it. With SM, I got more in to hunting for these rare Pokemon. All of the ones I've gotten so far though, have been SOS. I have tried, but the only one I really went far with (frankly not far at all) was 560 with Popplio, and then I switched to Mareep because I was tired of seeing Popplio.
Last week though, I decided I wanted to try for Rowlet, and that I'd go to odds for it. Today I hatched a Shiny Rowlet, my first Masuda Shiny, and my 16th one all together, at 225 eggs. I am just so happy about it I'm practically numb. Named him Kyler because Kyler means bowman or archer in Dutch, and I'm evolving him up to Decidueye.

So after my little, ahem, mishap when trying to breed the female Emboar I caught yesterday (if you want to know what happened, look in the "I was an IDIOT!" thread), I tried again. This time I used a shiny Espeon that I got in a Wonder Trade back in Y. I didn't even bother to check for anything like IVs and such, as I was just experimenting, and I figured it would be a good match. So I started the process of breeding to see what I could create. I ended up with a shiny Tepig with 5 perfect IVs, after only 6 eggs no less. I knew the Emboar had a pretty decent set of IVs, but I was stunned. So I checked the Espeon. Turns out it was not only a German one, but had 5 perfect IVs, all of which Tepig inherited. The only "bad" IV was Sp Def, and it was "Pretty Good", so that isn't too bad. I ended up doing the Masuda Method without meaning to, and ended up with an extremely good shiny Tepig. Named him Nitro, as I usually do with male Tepigs, but I can't wait to give him a whirl. He also ended up with two Egg Moves: Covet and Superpower. It seems that I have better luck with shinies when I'm not even bothering to hunt/breed for them. And now that I finally got the Shiny Charm today (Silvally was the last one, and boy did it take a while, 'course I've been playing on and off so that contributed), I might have even more luck. Or not, it all depends, and RNG gods love to mess with me in one form or another. But, hey, I'm hardly complaining about my little Nitro.

Yesterday was my 21st birthday, which I had rehearsal for the latter half of the day. While waiting to start the run of the show, I decided to get some breeding for a shiny Mudkip done. I tell you, if only I had bred just 30 more eggs. I only did about 30, thinking 60 would be too much (but I probably did have time). I bred a few more eggs last right before going to bed, and I wanted to hatch them all but I just was falling asleep, so I turned my game off and went to bed. This morning I hatched those remaining eggs, on the 233rd egg, just 8 eggs after stopping last night, I got him. I named him Gaius, as it is a latin name meaning rejoice or celebrate. And you celebrate when you get a shiny (at least most of the time) and you celebrate your birthday. I tell you my reaction was probably the weirdest one yet (well second to falling asleep and then seeing the shiny when I woke up). I looked down at it to check it, looked back up at my computer to look at the video I was watching, and thought, "wait was that pink?" and look back down to confirm that I got the shiny, and then I shouted with glee.

Back
Top Bottom