• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

Decided to go for Dedenne, since Dedenne's shiny is my fav, or at least in the top 5. Because my last two Masudas were so close to each other in the amount of eggs I hatched for them. I ended up getting it on the 306th egg. I'm on vacation with my family right now, and we're just hanging out in the hotel since it's late, so my mom and sister both got to see me freak out over it. I named her Sunflower, exactly what I said I'd call her. Now that I've gotten a few Masuda shinies, I think I'll go for a couple SOS ones, just to separate it, and then go back to Popplio breeding, now since I've got a better system for collecting and hatching eggs.

I just tried to get a perfect Ditto for breeding purposes and ended up with a nice shiny blue one after the 40th SOS call. I was so glad, I wanted to try it again immediately. I asked my BF what I should try for next and he suggested Alolan Sandshrew.

I used a Hypno with a Leppa Berry + Switcheroo, an Exeggutor with Harvest + Skill Swap and got my Shiny Alolan Sandshrew on the 168th call.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
20664181_1920673101538088_2917928878964577800_n.jpg

Decided to try for a shiny Honedge. Within 30 minutes I get a full odds shiny Espurr. Which I already had. Oh well, gonna keep trying

I've tried shiny hunting (even with a shiny charm), but I seem to have really bad luck.

I still have a few (coincidental) shinies:

- Shiny Bonsly found in Sun
- Shiny Geodude found in Y (the second shiny Geodude I've encountered, first one died)
- Shiny Trapinch also found in Y
- Shiny Snubbull also found in Y, I traded it away though
- Shiny Audino from a trade in Y
- Shiny Blissey also from a trade in Y

I've been trying to find a shiny Eevee (to evolve to Sylveon), but I still haven't found one.

Literally the other day wanted to do a new playthrough of HeartGold with Cyndaquil. Come to select my Pokemon and see the Totodile is Shiny, I was one part over the moon with joy at getting a shiny starter one part slightly miffed as i had to pick it not the Cyndaquil I wanted
Wow congrats! People go ages and ages resetting or a shiny starter, especilly in that game because the idea of having a shiny Pokemon following you is just awesome. That's so cool. Sorry it wasn't the Cyndaquil, but Shiny Totodile is still really awesome.

I decided to find a normal Politoed with SOS Battles, as last week I went after a Castform and it was hard but not impossible.

After thousands and thousands of encounters, I found a Shiny Poliwag, and I caught it! It's the first time I find a shiny post Gen V, so I was happy.

The next day, I went after even more encounters I found another!

I'm glad that I got two shinies added in my collection, but it's ridiculous that two shinies are easier to find than a normal Pokemon. SM really sucks when it wants to.

Well, I decided to restart my HeartGold for a change of pace (as I was getting a bit tired of playing Ratchet & Clank lately, not that there's anything wrong with R&C, just needed something different). My new game did the impossible. I was hunting for a Dunsparce (just for data) when I ran into a shiny Zubat. So I caught it. Nothing unusual for me at this point. However, no more than a minute later I run into ANOTHER shiny Zubat. Caught that one, too. From past playthroughs I know that there is some law in the Pokemon games that, if Zubat is in the dex, I will encounter a shiny one at one point or another, but I caught 2 of them within the span of a minute. Do I just have the right magnetism that shiny Zubats love or are the RNG gods messing with me again? Both are pretty decent, too: one has an Adamant nature and the other has a Jolly one. But seriously, I get that there is some sort of law in the Poke-universe that I attract shiny Zubat, but 2 within the span of a minute!? That's absurd, even for Zubat! I'm not sure if I'm going to use one of them, since I rather like their green color (and I don't like the pink color of a shiny Crobat, as it's a little off-putting), but I'm starting to believe that shiny Zubat absolutely adore me, and it's getting a bit frightening at how often it happens. Sheesh, I haven't even fought the first Gym Leader yet and already I netted 2 shinies. The Zubat gods must love me for some reason because if this keeps up I'll end up with a whole PC full of them (I've already got a good 12 or so now, not including the new guys). I guess bats just love me.

Anyway... bats all for now! Heheh. *hears crickets*

I've been pretty lucky with shinies, I think. But here are my two most notable encounters:

Once, I caught a regular Yanma in Pokemon Colosseum, but because of some trainer ID shenanigans inherent to that game, when I went to check on the little guy in the PC, he'd become a shiny! I felt so lucky and happy, and it's the one most dear to my heart to this day, because of how awful it could have been had it been shiny BEFORE I caught it.

Another time playing X, I was looking for a specific (non-shiny) pokemon in the grass, but kept being jumped by Gulpin. I got so frustrated, I thought to myself, "Oh my god, Gulpin: go away! I don't want to catch you! Not even if you were shiny!" .... the very next pokemon to appear was a shiny Gulpin. (..I did catch it, incidentally.)

Pokemon seems to throw shinies at me when I'm in a bad mood, in any case. ;u;

Okay, I had a double interesting shiny situation occur to me. I restarted my spare White version to do a Adventures-based team (though I'm still sorting out the final member). After getting the Trio Badge and such, I decided to trade over a mystery egg I had hanging around in my primary White version. I had long forgotten what Mon it was so I just figured, "Hey, wouldn't hurt, even if it ends up being a temp member". Turns out it was a Snivy egg, and not just any Snivy, A shiny one to boot! It's now a Servine named Gaia. I don't think I'll keep him as a permanent member (thanks to a very limited movepool in BW), but he'll help iron out some problems my current team has for a while. Though I do admit the blood red eyes of the shiny Servine creep me out a bit. Seems very unnerving, but it would fit with Serperior's dex data about glaring. After all, what's scarier than seeing a pair of blood red eyes glaring at you. Sure would unnerve me.

And the second interesting shiny moment I had was finding a shiny Pidove by total chance. I admit I was grinding on Audino to prepare for Lenora, but my attempt to access a rustling spot got interrupted. At first I was annoyed, since I was also looking for Sawk in the rustling patches, then I saw the sparkle. So I caught the sparkly pigeon. Had a decent nature and Super Luck. Named him Skye. He'll be a temp teammate too, as I plan to get Braviary later on (I'm doing a run based on Black's team from Adventures, though with the exception of Reshiram for various, and pretty obvious, reasons), but I'll hold onto Skye for a while. He might come in handy against Burgh (though Nitro the Pignite will probably do just fine on his own, but, hey, never hurts to have backup).

So that's what happened to me today. At least SOMETHING good happened to me today, as this day was a utter nightmare for me. I should've never gotten out of bed, so at least these two shinies gave me something nice on such a slagging awful day. I felt like Waspinator today, as NOTHING went right for me today, bar these shinies, so it helped lift my spirits a bit.

That's all for now.

Realized I forgot to post this, I think I was saving it for when I got another shiny, but that hasnt happened yet. About a few days after getting my Dedenne, I decided to do some SOS hunting again, so I went for a Rockruff. A speedy shiny that was at 68 SOS encounters. I was quite surprised. I debating on evolving it to it's Midnight form, since I already have a Midday, but I decide to keep it a little pup for now. After getting I said "Two shinies in 4 days, I probably won't get another one for a while" Boy was I right.

My shiny luck has been absolutely terrible recently. Since I've gone back to work, and school, I don't have much time to be shiny hunting anyway, but even when I do, just gosh it's awful. I hatched about 500 eggs before Popplio (I've done 1100 total for that thing now) and I'm at 450 for Litten. If I don't get it within these next 62 eggs (I always go to odds), I'm going to start for Espurr next. SOS hasn't even been lucky for me, I've done a couple hundred encounters for Bounsweet too (Going over 200 encounters SOS is rare for me).

Was chaining for a 4IV Ditto to use in breeding, and got a shiny on the 9th Ditto in the chain. Caught it anyway, and now it's sitting in a PC box. Have chained a few 'mons since, but still haven't encountered another shiny (except for that Golbat that I accidentally ran from. I still kick myself over that one...)

OK, here're my shiny stories:

My first shiny was a female Buizel in Pearl. Pearl was my first game, and I was an ignorant little noob (there's no point denying it). I was only 7 or 8 at the time and didn't know that shiny Pokemon existed. The only thing was, the week before I found my Buizel I had been watching my cousin play her copy of Pearl and encounter a shiny Steelix in Victory Road. Neither of us knew what it was, but it was sparkly and gold and we caught it. Fast forward one week and I had found my own sparkly gold Pokemon. After catching it I went online to figure out what was going on, and that's where I learned about shiny Pokemon and thought I was the luckiest person in the world.

I never caught a shiny in Gen 5, but in Gen 6 I started to get lucky again (not to mention I understood how to play the game).
Shortly after completing Pokemon Y's main story, I went back to explore the Lost Hotel (which I had somehow missed) and the first Pokemon I encountered was a shiny Electrode. I forgot about Explosion, but luckily I captured it with a Quick Ball on the first turn. I was super stoked. It's name is Orbishocki (don't question it.)

Not even a week after that I randomly encountered a shiny male Stunfisk, but I wasn't watching the screen when it appeared, and when I looked back down the camera had shifted and I couldn't see the shiny coloration. I was about to click Run when the camera changed angles and there was a blue Stunfisk. I freaked out and caught it. I named him Sparklefart, and don't tell me that's not the most perfect name for him. He's one of my favorites.

While on vacation I was absentmindedly Poke Radar chaining (I was training a shiny Nidorina I had received via WT) and at only a chain of two I got a shiny patch. I freaked out again hoping that I could remember which one it was. I entered the battle and encountered a shiny male Liepard (Sherlock). Best. Day. Ever.

The next shiny I caught was a female Croagunk (Venus) (again, by absently Poke Radar chaining. I'd like to note that I've never found a shiny by intentionally Poke Radar chaining).

(I'd also like to note that sometime in Gen 6 I hatched a shiny male Hoppip (MoMo), the only shiny I've ever bred).

After that I thought I would try my luck at chain fishing, going for a shiny Dragalge. I now have three shiny male Relicanths and no Dragalge.

I also caught a shiny male Alomomola (Aesculapius), and this was technically the first shiny I actually hunted for and caught (the Relicanths were not what I was going for but I love them anyway.)

After that I tried Friend Safari hunting, ending up with a female Pumpkaboo (Lura), a Floette (Amethrite), and a male Fletchinder (Criere). While training in a Normal safari that had Audino and Chansey, I also found a shiny female Aipom (Troublemaker).

When I finished the main story of Sun, I had become a full-fledged shiny hunter, and so far SOS chaining is my favorite method. Using the SOS method I've caught a shiny female Pikipek (Starburst), male Cutiefly (Bumblebutt), male Rockruff (Borealis), male Togedemaru (Gimli), male Wishiwashi (Bloop), male Mudbray (Waldo), female Exeggcute (Nugget), and male Bagon (Zephyr). I'm going for Eevee now.
Also, while training my Mudbray I randomly encountered a shiny Trumbeak (Koob), also female.

All of my shinies have since evolved (except for Trumbeak). Floatzel remains the only one without a nickname.

So that's my shiny story. Sorry it's so long :D

Back
Top Bottom