• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

Just realized it's been nearly a year since I last got a shiny, and I don't think I even mentioned that one (shiny Cottonee, SOSed, evolved to Whimsicott), and its been over a year since I did Masuda Method

Well this morning in Celebration of Pokemon Go gen 4 being out really soon I was like "I'll Masuda Method a Shiny Shinx". It only took me 76 eggs, that's like 200 less than my previous lowest count. I feel so lucky. I got it the same day I started too which is amazing! I've named him Tarrant. Unfortunatly he didn't get his mom's intimidate ability, but that's okay. I'm keeping him a Shinx forever, since he's such a cutie.

My reaction was great too apparently. I was sitting with my roommates and we were all just talking and then I look down at my 3DS and see it and fall over like "No way!" always happens when you don't expect it I tell you.

Well, I just got insanely lucky today. While provoking Hordes in AS to find a Magnemite for that run, I not only managed to find a Magnemite Horde, but one of them was a shiny! I managed to KO the others with my Combusken, leaving it alone. I was going to use a weak move (Quick Attack) to chip away at it, but I accidentally used Flame Charge instead (I had be using that move throughout the battle, so I didn't move the cursor fast enough off of it when I did). I almost cried, but, to my utter disbelief, said shiny Magnemite survived due to Sturdy, the very ability I was looking for! Not to mention it was the only one that had Sturdy in the Horde. So, as a result, it was now at the perfect position to start chucking balls at it. Caught it in a Premier Ball the following turn. Named it Kazap after the Dragon Quest lightning spell. Its nature is fair (Docile, I believe), but, hey, because of what happened, it could've turned out a whole lot worse, so I'm not complaining the slightest. This will be my second non-Gyarados shiny that I'll be using in a main game run (the first was Gardevoir, which, coincidentally, was in a previous AS run), so I'm pretty happy right now.

I've encountered three shiny Pokemon in my time.

I never made such a big deal out of it because they aren't really any better than regular Pokemon in terms of fighting.

Huh I guess I forgot to post here.

So back in December I was playing Let's Go Eevee and I was hunting around Cerulean Cave. I forget why exactly, maybe just trying to level up some before I went to face Mewtwo.

As I'm looking around, picking what I feel like trying to catch and avoiding some stuff (mostly that gave minimal EXP if caught) and I noticed a Lickitung that I thought looked off at a quick glance. Well I was right about it because it was a shiny.

I wasted no time in using a Golden Razz Berry and attempting to catch it (and successfully so) This was the first shiny I caught since Gen V. And I gotta say it really made me like and appreciate being able to see Pokemon before encountering them since it let me see I'd be going against a shiny beforehand.

Last edited:
I've encountered four shinies naturally in my life. Two of these were Shiny Unown I found in FireRed and LeafGreen respectively, and I thought it was really funny, because I found the second one at the exact point in the game I found the first one. I can't help but wonder if if was just pure chance or the pseudorandom number generator showing.

I had a very long shiny hunt that spanned over two generations - from Black 2 to Y version. The first shiny pokemon I ever attempted to hatch using the Masuda Method, shiny Cranidos.

I had another very long shiny hunt to get a shiny Beldum. It was before ORAS came out, and I wanted to start the Hoenn remakes with a shiny Beldum. After a few months, there was an advertisement that Steven's shiny Beldum was going to be distributed when you buy the game. I gave up on the hunt.

Never mentioned this one here apparently, but I got a shiny on the day a new Pokemon game came out. I had just bought Let's Go Pikachu a few hours before this happened, it was the day it came out, and I was running through Viridian Forest. I guess it was because I was starting a chain for Oddish, but I only had like, 4 of them, but I was getting quite a few Butterfree to pop up. Then a Shiny Butterfree floats on by and I am just in utter disbelief. Like I was just running to it and kept on hitting other Pokemon. It was probably seconds away from despawning. I could not believe that happened. I caught him, and used him for a while on my team. I can't remember what I named him though. .

A recent shiny I got though was today. I was video chatting with a friend from back home, and we were just playing Pokemon together while we talked. She was having amazing shiny luck with hordes. She was having amazing shiny luck in general. In the past week, she had gotten a Shiny Helioptile, and a Shiny Hoppip (in a horde), this morning before she called she got a Shiny Swablu (also in a Horde). Like she wasn't even looking, they just happened. Then while we were talking, she runs into a horde of Graveler and one of them is shiny, and the next horde she gets there is a Shiny Geodude. I told her to go buy lottery tickets. Since she was having really good luck with Hordes, I thought I would try out Horde Hunting again.

I put in my incomplete game of Pokemon X and went into the Connecting Cave, since the hordes you can get in there all have pretty decent shinies. I wasn't counting how many encounters it took, but it was maybe about 20 minutes before I got a Shiny Whismur from the Horde. I named her Gracia and transferred her over to my Sun game, where all my other shinies are, since I have used an Exploud before, and plus I don't like Shiny Loudred or Exploud all that much, and much rather keep her a Whismur.

I hope the next games we get have Hordes come back. Horde hunting is actually pretty fun, and I would love to do some Horde hunting with some new Pokemon.

So I'm playing through a new run of Pokemon Moon, since it's summer and Gen 7 is pretty great for a summer time game. I ran into a Pikipek on Route 4, and decided to just use my Sylveon to defeat it since I needed the experience. Well as I switch to my Sylveon it calls in a friend. I faint the first one, and even still at full health, this Pikipek calls in for a friend. Shiny Pikipek. What's funny is that I had done like, 20 SOS encounters looking for a female Eevee earlier in the route, since I've already used a male Sylveon before), but what's even funnier is when I got the first SOS encounter on Pikipek, I was reminded of when I was huting for my own Shiny Pikipek for Toucannon a couple years ago. Then Shiny Pikipek is like "Hey girlll"

I don't know what to name him yet. Since I have already used Toucannon in a playthrough of Moon, a couple of years ago, and because I already have a Shiny Toucannon, I don't think I will be using him. I'll probably just bring him over to Sun where all my other shinies are.

Man my during playthrough shiny luck has been somewhat decent recently. Maybe I'll be fortunate enough to get a shiny during my playthrough of Sword and Shield.

My first ever shiny (not counting Pokémon Go and events/trades)! I wasn’t even looking for it. I was actually working on finishing up the Dex in LGP to get the shiny charm and trying to lure a Scyther and there it just popped up out of the blue! Two premier balls later it was mine. Absolutely ecstatic! This one will be coming with me to Galar, for sure.

15BD3756-DE1F-4AF6-B8AE-97D76991FA39.jpeg

I was just bopping around in Let's Go Pikachu for the heck of it, using the zoom feature on the switch to Zoom in and adore my Shiny Eevee I transferred up from Go. A thought went through my head like "gosh I hope a shiny doesn't pop up right now and I'm missing it". Not 2 seconds later a Shiny Spearow flies up to me and bops me in the forehead. I had barely any time to comprehend the thought, just bam yellow winged bird flying in my face. I caught him and am still thinking of a name form him.

Edit: I might have been playing too many games with autosave features, and forgot to save when exiting the game. That's a big rip.

Last edited:
After finally finishing the LGP Dex and getting the Shiny Charm, I stocked up and went to Mt. Moon. After literally a week (my daughter is 4 months old so I don’t have much time to play each day after work) of chaining Geodudes (130 catch combo), a shiny appeared! While she was not the Geodude I was aiming for, she is truly a beauty. :bulbaLove:

Obtained a shiny Bulbasaur in Let's Go Eevee and a shiny Grookey in Shield.

Also I got a shiny Weedle and Paras while hunting something of different.

My caterpie hunts never go as I want
Hunt 1: shiny bulbasaur
Hunt 2: shiny beedrill
Hunt 3: shiny bulbasaur
Hunt 4: nothing
Hunt 5: shiny METAPOD

Encountered not 1, not 2, but 4 shiny Magikarps from the New Years Wild Area event, all in a row. It also helps that I haven't updated my Wild Area news yet, so I still had time to mess around with this one. And I'm in no hurry to get back to the D-Max Snorlax event, as I'm having more fun with the Magikarps and all their goodies than wanting to deal with that tubby anymore (besides, I've got like, what, 3 G-Max Snorlax, from 3-Star to 5-Star, so it's not worth it). And this was before I got the Shiny Charm. Now that I have it, I almost wonder what other gold-colored flopping fish I'll find.

Back
Top Bottom