• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

The thing with the .com is that they're hacked. If you like shinies like that, go ahead!

Like I said, meh, it means little to me. It's no different than the few Japanese shiny 6 IV Impostor Dittos I got via Surprise Trades months ago. It's just par for the course nowadays, so I just roll with it at this point. As long as it doesn't glitch the game like catching Missingno did in Gen 1, then whatever, as it's not like I'm going to use them for battles, anyway. That, I know, crosses the line. I just use them to play experiment with to test some ideas out and other such fun stuff, with the resulting legit babies from said experiments being used in-game exclusively (I don't bother with wifi/internet battles or any sort of special competitions as it's just a breeding ground for all sorts of trouble... plus, I'm a causal, so I'd rather not deal with those hardcore competitive players that often ragequit when things go south for their "perfect" teams). So, hacked or legit, as long as it doesn't glitch the game, I just roll with it, since there isn't much that can be done about it.

And speaking of which, got yet another Machamp.com shiny in one last round of Surprise Trades. Was trading HA G-Slowpokes from a sudden impulse to test something in a breeding experiment when I ended up with a shiny Umbreon with all the trimmings from them. Like I said before, I'm not going to use them for anything like battling, as that's wrong. Rather, I simply use their "status" as "perfect" to test ideas for other projects I want to try for in-game purposes. So, as long as it doesn't glitch the game, whatever.

Machamps.com gens their Pokémon. There are others out there who do that as well; Gengars.com springs to mind. I've gotten a number of shinies from genners; I sometimes use them in Max Raid Battles and I keep them for potential shiny hunts. I don't do competitive, so they'll never be used there.

Max Raid Battles seen to love me; I've gotten a lot of shinies via online Battles. My latest pair just happened to be a Rash G-Max Venusaur with its HA and a Naive Larvesta. The Venusaur is a real accomplishment, as I had been trying to get in on one of those Battles for the past two weeks. I finally get in and score a shiny. :)

Check this out. I was fortunate enough to find an used original copy of Diamond (finally!) this week at a thrifty store (and so far it works perfectly), and while I'm just starting with my first playthrough in Sinnoh, I was fortunate enough to encounter a random shiny Bidoof, which I plan to add to my team.

I haven't been as fortunate with finding a copy of Platinum, though. But I don't mind that much.

Last edited:
Machamps.com gens their Pokémon. There are others out there who do that as well; Gengars.com springs to mind. I've gotten a number of shinies from genners; I sometimes use them in Max Raid Battles and I keep them for potential shiny hunts. I don't do competitive, so they'll never be used there.

Max Raid Battles seen to love me; I've gotten a lot of shinies via online Battles. My latest pair just happened to be a Rash G-Max Venusaur with its HA and a Naive Larvesta. The Venusaur is a real accomplishment, as I had been trying to get in on one of those Battles for the past two weeks. I finally get in and score a shiny. :)

I got a shiny lv. 100 shiny Machamp, Conkeldurr, Excadrill and Froslass from Machamps.com at wonder / surprise trades. I don't know if I was lucky or not and what to do with them. I'll probably release them, as I already have the data on Home and I don't plan to use them at all.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's genning Pokemon?

Ran into a shiny Vileplume today in the Wild Area in a Sword run. Full odds, too. This is why I wish we could either see the Mon as a shiny in the overworld or at least make some sort of indicator, and I just happened to stumble across it at the time (I needed Vileplume for data and I ran into the one off to the southwest part of the Wild Area, near one of the starting areas, so I was like, "That's convenient"), which has happened before with other shinies I've found. Really, at least give the Mon something to indicate it's a shiny, as it would make hunting them so much easier. And it's not like some would be easy to identify, as many are just the same color as normal just a shade or two different, so it's not like it can be abused easily. Plus, the screen can get overwhelmed with all the Mons that can appear on it, so it's not like it'll stand out like a sore thumb. But, nevertheless, I caught the shiny Vileplume and boxed it.

Ran into a shiny Vileplume today in the Wild Area in a Sword run. Full odds, too. This is why I wish we could either see the Mon as a shiny in the overworld or at least make some sort of indicator, and I just happened to stumble across it at the time (I needed Vileplume for data and I ran into the one off to the southwest part of the Wild Area, near one of the starting areas, so I was like, "That's convenient"), which has happened before with other shinies I've found. Really, at least give the Mon something to indicate it's a shiny, as it would make hunting them so much easier. And it's not like some would be easy to identify, as many are just the same color as normal just a shade or two different, so it's not like it can be abused easily. Plus, the screen can get overwhelmed with all the Mons that can appear on it, so it's not like it'll stand out like a sore thumb. But, nevertheless, I caught the shiny Vileplume and boxed it.

I heard this so many times that I actually doubt myself now, but when I got a full odds, random shiny Rolycoly in the first Galar Mine, I'm almost positive the Rolycoly was blue IN the overworld. The same happened to a shiny Golett (again, full odds random encounter) I found in the wild near the bridge area. I'm almost positive the Golett was grey and green.

I also got a shiny Dottler, but that one is only via the ! sign, and obviously not seen in the overworld.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's genning Pokemon?
Basically, it's an RNG cheat. You can get perfect, six IV shiny HA Pokémon with the perfect Nature using this. Supposedly, the ones who do this claim that they make sure these Pokémon won't be seen as hacks, but I don't think I'd use any of them competitively. I do have them in the occasional Max Raid battle or for breeding but that's about all.

Again, the Max Raid battles love me. I managed to get in on a Vibrava battle and it was freaking shiny. So now I have two of them!

And it only took me a decade to get them... :ROFLMAO:

Basically, it's an RNG cheat. You can get perfect, six IV shiny HA Pokémon with the perfect Nature using this. Supposedly, the ones who do this claim that they make sure these Pokémon won't be seen as hacks, but I don't think I'd use any of them competitively. I do have them in the occasional Max Raid battle or for breeding but that's about all.

Again, the Max Raid battles love me. I managed to get in on a Vibrava battle and it was freaking shiny. So now I have two of them!

And it only took me a decade to get them... :ROFLMAO:

Oh, that's interesting. I don't play competitive so most terms related to it are foreign to me. :)

Ran into a shiny Bounsweet in a Max Raid Battle in a fresh playthrough of Sword today. And, once again, at full odds. Caught her, named her Lufa after the Dragon Half character, and added her to my ranks (as I needed a Grass Mon anyway). She's now a Steenee, as she was just one level away from evolving anyway, so I gave her a Rare Candy to quickly evolve her. She's got an Adamant nature, has the ability Oblivious, and is a star shiny. Don't know about IVs or anything but I'm just happy to have a shiny for an in-game playthrough.

OMG I just caught a shiny Wooloo so randomly, I almost cried LOL.. I’m not sure what to name her though.

I don't know how, and I'm still very shocked over it, but I managed to get a Shiny Xerneas through the Dynamax Adventure. It's actually the first time I ever caught a Shiny Legendary Pokémon in the mainstream games (I've caught quite a few in GO), and I wasn't even going for a Shiny.

Decided to go for Dedenne, since Dedenne's shiny is my fav, or at least in the top 5. Because my last two Masudas were so close to each other in the amount of eggs I hatched for them. I ended up getting it on the 306th egg. I'm on vacation with my family right now, and we're just hanging out in the hotel since it's late, so my mom and sister both got to see me freak out over it. I named her Sunflower, exactly what I said I'd call her. Now that I've gotten a few Masuda shinies, I think I'll go for a couple SOS ones, just to separate it, and then go back to Popplio breeding, now since I've got a better system for collecting and hatching eggs.

Quoting this old post for this little tale I have to tell.

After hatching this shiny, I ended up sending her to Pokemon Moon for a playthrough. I didn't get far in this playthrough though and decided I wanted to play with a different starter. I reset my file, completely forgetting that my Shiny Dedenne was there. I was so heartbroken and angry with myself, so for 2 and a half years, I have hatched so many eggs and have done so many encounters looking for Sunflower. But even with 500 eggs and over 1200 Friend Safari encounters, Dedenne just would not shine for me again. I was convinced this was my punishment for being a fool.

Today while hunting for anything in Dynamax Adventures, I happened upon a Dedenne. I couldn't let myself hope that this was finally going to be the one. I knew the odds in the Adventures were higher, but I knew if I let myself think that this was a chance, I would be disappointed again. Still, when I caught all 4 Pokemon and went to check them out, I held off on checking Dedenne till the end. And when I opened my eyes, I nearly screamed when I saw him.

Sunflower, my Shiny Dedenne, and I have been reunited.

ElYIUlUUYAE-VHJ.jpeg

Quoting this old post for this little tale I have to tell.

After hatching this shiny, I ended up sending her to Pokemon Moon for a playthrough. I didn't get far in this playthrough though and decided I wanted to play with a different starter. I reset my file, completely forgetting that my Shiny Dedenne was there. I was so heartbroken and angry with myself, so for 2 and a half years, I have hatched so many eggs and have done so many encounters looking for Sunflower. But even with 500 eggs and over 1200 Friend Safari encounters, Dedenne just would not shine for me again. I was convinced this was my punishment for being a fool.

Today while hunting for anything in Dynamax Adventures, I happened upon a Dedenne. I couldn't let myself hope that this was finally going to be the one. I knew the odds in the Adventures were higher, but I knew if I let myself think that this was a chance, I would be disappointed again. Still, when I caught all 4 Pokemon and went to check them out, I held off on checking Dedenne till the end. And when I opened my eyes, I nearly screamed when I saw him.

Sunflower, my Shiny Dedenne, and I have been reunited.

Aw congratulations! Happy that you were able to reunite :)

I know the feeling. I once had both a Shiny Smeargle and a Shiny Nosepass in an Emerald file that I had since restarted :( and this was back when shinies were extremely hard to come by.

Aw congratulations! Happy that you were able to reunite :)

I know the feeling. I once had both a Shiny Smeargle and a Shiny Nosepass in an Emerald file that I had since restarted :( and this was back when shinies were extremely hard to come by.
Thank you :)

Aww, I'm sorry to hear about that. It's so hard when you lose shinies. I hope that one day you are able to reclaim them!

Back
Top Bottom