• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

I bred a shiny Tauros in Ultra Sun completely by accident today. I was breeding Tauros for a later project, having to play nature roulette as I couldn't find any of my normal breeding Dittos (they're probably in Bank somewhere, since that's the only place I haven't looked yet, but I've been having wifi connection problems lately, so that's why I haven't been on Bank yet), so I just used a normal Ditto I had gotten via Wonder Trade a while back. However, not only was the fifth egg that hatched the one that had the nature and ability I was looking for, but it was also a shiny. I was stunned. I took out the Ditto to see and it turns out it was French. I ended up using the Masuda Method completely by accident as I wasn't paying attention to where the Ditto came from. Now I have a shiny Jolly Tauros with Intimidate (although I'd rather have Sheer Force, but it's still good) ready to use for when I need it. It's funny that whenever I'm not actively looking for shinies they tend to fall in my lap while if I'm going out of my way to find them they never show up. That's my luck in a nutshell; completely random.

I finally ended my shiny Galarian Ponyta hunt on Nov. 8th after 3000+ eggs. With the Masuda method. With the Shiny Charm. I couldn't believe how damn long it took for the game to finally give me a shiny of my favorite Pokemon, but it was WORTH IT! It had the ability I wanted (Pastel Veil) AND a good nature AND great stats since I bred my good IV Rapidash with a good IV Ditto. I didn't have to use a mint or ability item on it!

A couple days ago I finished my second shiny hunt in Sword too, for Buneary! That one came a LOT quicker, though at the cost of it having pretty crappy attack. I used a mint on it to at least give it a +Atk nature, but it's still gonna be a bit weak there in the end. I'm happy to have my pink and chocolate bunny though!

In between these two hunts though, I was randomly Wonder Traded a shiny Porygon in HOME and then the other day, I requested a Skrelp on the GTS for my Isle of Armor Pokedex...and got a shiny one! What is going on here. lol

Had quite the stroke of luck today. I was breeding Poppilo for a soon-to-be Sword playthrough, aiming for a girl for... obvious reasons. I kept getting boys. However, while I was still hunting for my female Poppilo, I ended up hatching a square shiny one! I wasn't even looking for a shiny, I just wanted a girl. And better yet, it was a girl! So, I not only got my female Poppilo, but it ended up a shiny to boot! The only downside is that her Special Attack is her "bad" IV (Pretty Good), but I'll take it, as she's my first shiny Poppilo. Now... I just need a name for her. I'm debating between Melty (because she's a Water-type) and Darkness (because she'll become a blonde with pretty good tanking ability). What do you all think? Anyway, that's always the way with me. Whenever I'm outright hunting for shinies they rarely appear but when I'm not they fall in my lap. My luck is very strange that way.

Ran into a shiny Geodude today in HeartGold in Union Cave. What a shock. When it comes to me and certain shinies, if it's not Zubat, it's Geodude. Named him Goldirox after Goldilocks (though he is a male in this case) due to his gold color. I won't use it but it's nice to have a shiny in my box that isn't Gyarados.

While hunting for Riolu in White 2 I ran into a shiny Azurill. Full odds and everything. Burned her with Kaboom the Koffing's Will-o-Wisp and chucked a Great Ball the next turn. Nabbed the little green mousy-thingy and named her Bubbles. She's currently chilling in the box, as I have no intention of using her (plus Azumarill's shiny sprite is blegh), but it was a nice surprise to have this morning.

A few days ago, I decided to look for Star Pieces on Iron Island in Platinum. After collecting them all, on my way to the exit, I encountered a shiny Graveler. Because I had no Pokemon with Damp on my team, I worried it'd blow up, but luckily, a single Quick Ball was enough to catch the critter. I nicknamed him Gravy and found out he had a Naive nature. Then I saved.

Just felt like making a list of my Sword and Shield shinies since I don’t think I’ve done so yet:
Grookey -> (Gmax)Rillaboom
Grookey #2 -> Thwackey
Scorbunny-> (Gmax)Cinderace
Sobble -> (Gmax)Intelleon
Rookidee-> (Gmax)Corviknight
Skwovet -> Greedent
Blipbug -> (Gmax)Orbeetle
Wooloo -> Dubwool
Yamper -> Boltund
Nickit-> Thievul
Chewtle -> (Gmax)Drednaw
Arrokuda -> Baraskewda
Gossifleur -> Eldegoss
Sizzlipede -> (Gmax)Centiscorch
Rolycoly -> (Gmax)Coalossal
Milcery -> (Gmax)Alcremie(Strawberry Sweet)
Milcery#2 -> (Gmax)Alcremie(Heart Sweet)
Milcery#3 -> (Gmax)Alcremie(Berry Sweet)
Milcery#4 -> (Gmax)Alcremie(Clover Sweet)
Milcery#5 -> (Gmax)Alcremie(Flower Sweet) Milcery#6 -> (Gmax)Alcremie(Star Sweet)
Milcery#7 -> (Gmax)Alcremie(Ribbon Sweet)
Impidimp -> (Gmax)Grimmsnarl
Arctozolt

Galarian Meowth -> Purrserker
Galarian Meowth#2
Galarian Meowth#3
Galarian Zigzagoon -> Obstagoon

Tangela -> Tangrowth
Scraggy -> Scrafty
Female Combee -> Vespiquen
Wailord
Zygarde
Fomantis -> Lurantis
Magikarp -> Gyarados
Joltik -> Galvantula

Zeraora (Event)
…whew. That was a lot more than I thought lol.

Last edited:
I have a lot of shinies.

• Farfetch'd, my first shiny, which was caught in Platinum. Came out of nowhere.
  • Bellsprout -> Weepinbell ->Victreebell. I was catching a bunch of Pikachu for something and ran into that. Also my first shiny after about 10 years.
  • Doduo -> Dodrio in Let's Go Eevee. I don't know if it was full-odds or if I had a catch streak. Also it was the day after Bellsprout
  • 3 Swellow, Yanmega, Swanna, Sigilyph, Ludicolo, 3 Floatzel, Stunfisk, Nuzleaf, Shiftry, Drapion, 2 Magcargo, Medicham, Hippowdon, and 2 Abomasnow in Ultra Moon. All in Ultra Space.
  • Quagsire in UM. This was special because the first shiny I ever encountered was in Platinum but it ran from me. So I hunted it in UM.
  • Altaria in UM. Part of my main team now.
  • Smoochum in Crystal. Creatively named "Shiny".
  • Bounsweet -> Steenee -> Tsareena, nicknamed "Catherine". A random encounter I accidentally ran into in the Wild Area and it instantly joined my team.
  • Female Jellicent in Sword, nicknamed "Queen Jelly". I laughed a lot finding this in Dynamax Adventures since I hate Jellicent. Oh, from here on, all are from Dynamax Adventures.
  • Metang -> Metagross, nicknamed "Steven".
  • Tapu Lele, nicknamed "Kāne".
  • Vileplume, nicknamed "Raffi". Got in the adventure immediately after I got Kāne.
  • Uxie, nicknamed "Gen". My most recent shiny.

I've had a few Shiny encounters as well. To list them, they were:

• Boldore -> Gigalith (Caught in White 2 Reversal Mountain. Bianca was a part of my team, so it was pretty now or never)
  • Kricketot (HeartGold, during the Bug Catching Competition)
  • Shuppet -> Banette (Omega Ruby at Mt. Pyre)
  • Ralts (Moon, hatched by Masuda Method, 5th out of the egg)
  • Abomasnow (Ultra Moon, found in an Ultra Wormhole
  • Stunfisk (see above)
  • Medicham (see Abomasnow)
  • Gardevoir (Shield, Square Shiny, Timid Nature, Moves were Psychic, Calm Mind, Dream Eater and Heal Pulse. She was perfect and I wasn't even looking for her. Nicknamed "Rapapa")
  • Machamp (Shield, G-Max, and I had to use a Master Ball on it.)
  • Corphish (Shield, during a Max Raid Battle)
  • Regice (Shield, Crown Tundra)

I got many hacked shinies through wondertrade, but they don't count for me since I didn't do anything to obtain them.
The shinies I actually caught were a Bidoof on my Platinum version while searching for a Ralts (unfortunately, the copy was borrowed from a library so I lost it when I had to give it back), a Zigzagoon and Sandshrew on my Omega Ruby while I was simply trying to grind my Pokémon, a Metapod on my Moon version while I was searching for an Oranguru and two Oricorio on Moon.
All of these were random encounters, but currently I'm soft resetting for a shiny Treecko on my Alpha Saphire.

Today, I was training my Drapion near Mt.Silver in HeartGold. Suddenly, I encountered a shiny male Doduo there. I decided to avoid weakening him and threw a Friend Ball, but failed. After another failed attempt with Level Ball, I finally caught him in the second one. He is Naive and has Run Away as its Ability. I battled Cal in Viridian and saved.

Just a few days ago now I bred a shiny Pichu using Masuda method in only 11 hatches!
And just a bit before that I encountered a random shiny Altaria :bulbaLove:

A few days ago, I was training my Cloyster in Diglett's Cave in HeartGold. Suddenly, I encountered a shiny male Dugtrio. I decided to avoid weakening him and threw a Level Ball, but he broke free and used Dig. Switching out wasn't an option as he had Arena Trap. Luckily, Cloyster's Mud Shot was too weak to take out the mole, and I caught him in a Dusk Ball. I learned that he was Serious and saved.

I had a double shiny encounter today. In my main Sword file I was breeding for a shiny Zaboomafoo... I mean Passimian, hoping to get a male with Defiant. Turns out I got my wish. It took 50+ eggs (I lost count after 50 due to the fact I had started this hunt last night, thus I didn't remember where I left off), but I got my shiny Zaboomafoo with Defiant.

Secondly, in another Sword file I was in the Crown Tundra. Since there was a new Max Raid event I decided to test my luck, as I hadn't checked any dens after updating the Wild Area news yesterday. Would you believe that the first den I checked out was the square shiny Vanilluxe? Because that's exactly what happened. A freakin' 2% chance of finding it and I got it on the first den I searched. Usually my luck is abysmal in those regards but somehow I got it. At least my Max Raid AI partners were decently smart today so I caught that shiny ice cream sundae in a Repeat Ball (I didn't want to take a chance of it getting away, and fortunately I had caught a Vanilluxe a little while ago so that helped). I still think they should've given the Vanillite line a black shiny color so it would look like chocolate and act as a nice contrast but it is what it is.

I just had some weird luck in Pokemon GO (yes, I know... shinies there are often a dime a dozen, but hear me out). Just as the Eevee community day event was finishing (alongside the bunch of Eevee shinies I caught) I did an Unown raid battle, getting a shiny one in return (and my first ever shiny Unown in any game). And just yesterday, I got a regular (non-event) shiny Pikachu. So far I already got 3 shiny Pikachu, two of them are from events (the balloon one, and the Christmas one). All three with regular GO odds.

I was thrilled.

And last month, I got my first ever shiny by Masuda Method. A shiny Clobbopus. I loved this, since both shiny Clobbopus and Grapploct are among my favorites.

P.S. Funnily enough, I didn't get a shiny Flareon despite many attempts to evolve a bunch of shiny Eevees in GO (I mostly got Vaporeons). I do have one in HOME, though.

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to catch two shinies yesterday. The first one was a Piloswine in Giant Chasm in Black 2. She is sadly Quiet and has Special Attack as her best IV, and even it isn't that high. The second one was a Geodude in Union Cave in HeartGold. She is Impish and has Sturdy as an Ability, and Speed as her highest IV.

Back
Top Bottom