• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

Bumped into a shiny Psyduck on a complete whim at full odds in Shing Pearl a couple of days ago! Named her Misty because I'm uninventive and dropped her in my boxes; I don't feel any particular attachment to having shinies in my team and I already have a Water-type. She sure is cute, though.
(A bit off topic, but If u go to amity square with a shiny, is it shiny in the over-world?)

I also remember getting a shiny deddenne with pickup

I got a full odds shiny Onix with my sister, while I was trying to find a marill, had to use the master ball, cause I didn't have pokéballs XD

Last edited:
Sheesh, Mt. Coronet has been unusually kind to me in the shiny department during my Brilliant Diamond run.

First off, as per tradition, I ended up running into a shiny member of the Zubat line. Golbat, in this case, who I named Echo-Echo after the Ben 10 alien. Managed to nab it in a Quick Ball (unlike a certain Graveler I encountered earlier). I won't be using it as I already have a Crobat that I got for dex data a while ago, and I don't like shiny Crobats in general.

Anyway, after dealing with the climax of the story on my way down through Mt. Coronet I ran into another shiny: Chimecho. Considering how rare Chimecho is that was quite the find. However... this one proved to be somewhat stubborn. Quick Ball failed. Repeat Ball failed. Dusk Ball failed. Finally managed to catch it in a second Repeat Ball (as I already had the data on it from earlier). Now Melody will be chillin' in the box lookin' pretty alongside Echo-Echo that I got today.

Considering that's four shinies in the span of one run through Mt. Coronet (though only three were successfully obtained), maybe I should consider buying a lotto ticket, as my luck is never this good.

Yesterday I got what I think is my fastest shiny in any hunt in Let's Go. A Koffing after just about 25 or so encounters. I was very pleasantly surprised. And I love that shiny too.

EDIT: unfortunately, my masuda method hunt for Chewtle/ Drednaw has yet to bear me the green turtle, but I may try a bit longer.

EDIT 2: still no green Chewtle, or white Rookidee, since I am also hunting for one, but I did get two shinies. A Chansey I had to let go (already have it) and a cute pink Drowzee! My actual target. Let's Go is treating me well as of late. Now on for a kantonian Vulpix.

EDIT 3: I did get the shiny Vulpix.

Last edited:
I have been trying to find a shiny Impidimp but I don't want to do masuda so I am trying to get one through wild encounters. I did a masuda method for a sinistea last week that left me sick of breeding for shinies. But I did get it in the end so I'm happy.

Also I have 0 motivation to complete the national dex or shiny hunt in BDSP since I learned the shiny charm affects nothing in those games but masuda. I guess I'll go back to XYORAS to shiny hunt and transfer through Home.

I was grinding on Unown to quickly get my newly hatched Spiritomb up to speed in Brilliant Diamond, along with trying to evolve my Chingling into a Chimecho (since it's nighttime here). In the process I ran into a shiny Unown. Specifically, the "E" version. I've made it a habit of catching at least the six main Unown that appear in the ruins, the ones that spell out "FRIEND". Just because, I guess, as I don't usually care about collecting Unown unless they're needed. Fortunately, I hadn't caught the "E" version yet, so that was a really nice treat to get before bed. On a side-note, I did get my Chingling to evolve, though it took a bit more than I was expecting (I also got impatient and used up all my Rare Candies to speed up the process, as I was starting to get tired).

Fired up Pokémon Y friend Safari for a bit of shiny hunting while breakfast was cooking this morning. First encounter was a shiny beautifly!

I finally ran out of luck, I think. No success with the masuda method, one shiny Armaldo in Dynamax Adventures, which I already had. And a shiny Charmander in Let's Go, which I already had. I am hunting for a Poliwag, but at this point I don't know if I'll get another repeat.

EDIT: I did get a shiny Delibird from the christmas event, and a shiny Tympole vía masuda method, so there is still hope.

Last edited:
Had a triple dose of shiny good luck today in a Legends: Arceus playthrough. First I caught a shiny Alpha Snorlax: full odds and completely at random. Then, while traversing the Coronet Highlands I ran into a shiny Bronzong in the quarry just after whupping Melli. It was literally the first Bronzong I ran into, thus it was totally full odds. And finally while smashing crates for items one of them had a shiny H-Voltorb in it. Again, full odds, as it was also the first H-Voltorb I ran into in this run. Wow, just wow. My luck is never that good but I got three full odd shinies in one day. That's gotta be a new record for me. I can never find one when I'm actively hunting for them (at least wild Mons, Masuda Method works fairly well for me) but when I'm not they just fall into my lap sometimes.

Recently, I was level grinding Slaking in Trophy Garden in Platinum, and suddenly encountered a Shiny Kricketune. After several failed attempts with Net Balls and Dusk Balls, I eventually caught him in a Net Ball. He had a Hardy nature. Then, I saved the game.

Pokemon Legends Arceus got me back into shiny hunting, and it's wielded me many shinies thus far, but I wanted to save posting about them until I reached one of my main goals. I have three major targets, a Shiny Alpha Ninetales obtained via random encounters, a set of 9 Eevees so I can have one for each Eeveelution + Eevee, and a Shiny Rowlet obtained via Massive Mass Outbreaks or Space-Time Distortions.

Today I finally achieved one of those goals, I found a Shiny Rowlet. This Rowlet hunt has been insane. I've wanted a Shiny Rowlet since the game came out, but I only started actively hunting for it back in early May. Honestly, I didn't think it would take as long as it did. Before I started I decided to heighten my chances by perfecting the dex entry, just because I was hoping for a shorter hunt since the other two were taking a while (which was expected). Then I spend almost two months checking every MMO in the Highlands for a Rowlet outbreak, and then checking through that outbreak if there was one. It took a while, but I finally found it, I was running up alongside the outbreak, just hoping to hear that sound but not expecting it since I've already probably checked around 30 Rowlet outbreaks without hearing it. Then I did hear the sparkle. I looked up and there the little green guy was. I hopped up on there and cleared the rest of the Rowlets out, then gave him a bean cake and caught him. Not sure what I'll name him yet, but I'm so glad to finally have him.

Gosh, I haven't been on this forum in years...
Anyways, I had a few shiny encounters over my absence, but the 2 that stand out are my Brilliant Diamond shinies (I got a Switch Lite and BD for Christmas 2021)
the first one I found was a male Ralts in the Grand Underground while hunting for a female around the time I was prepping for Gardenia. I evolved that one into Gardevoir and named it "Dragqueen"
then there's a shiny Starly I found while hunting for a Nidoran-F. what makes this shiny special is that it had its HA on capture (I could share a perfectly-timed screenshot of the Starly in the Summary page at a later time)

EDIT: I just realized how old I am, I had this account for almost 8 and a half years (I was in my Highschool Junior year (technically my first, as I didn't get enough credits in my 4th year of Canadian Highschool)

Mentioned this in my blog but I'll mention it here, too. Found a shiny Bidoof and Combee (male, sadly) in the Crimson Mirelands in Legends: Arceus the other day, both in the same run. Two full odd shinies in one day is unheard of for me (outside of Masuda method, and even that's rather iffy at times), but I caught both of them.

A few days ago, I was searching for a Rufflet with Hustle in Omega Ruby. Suddenly, I encountered a Shiny one and caught him in a Quick Ball. Sadly, he is Serious and has an IV of zero in HP. I then finally found a Hustle Rufflet and caught him, and saved the game.

Splatoon 3 is just a few weeks away and with it being so close and knowing most of my freetime will be dedicated to it, I've been thinking about wrapping up my two target goals for Legends Arceus a little faster. During Sun and Moon, when I first really got into shiny hunting, I started a hunt for all the Eeveelutions that I never finished, only getting Sylveon, Espeon, and Glaceon. So, since I was planning on transferring my Legends shiny Eevees up to SV anyway, I decided I might as well combine the two hunts and catch the remaining Eeveelutions I need, just so I didn't waste my life away with this hunt.

Additionally, I debated on trying to find my Alpha shiny Ninetales via Massive Mass Outbreak hunting, because that was a hunt I wanted to finish before Splatoon 3 as well. But the Alpha Ninetales on Firespirit Island said no way. After countless runs through the Cobalt Coastlands, Shiny Alpha Ninetales finally decided to pop up. I had been droughting for several days and when I am droughting I like to do runs with inverted colors on. I look down, see the Alpha pop up, think that it's the normal inverted color and then it sparkled. My shiny reactions usually aren't all that big but I nearly squealed when I heard that sound. I quickly turned regular colors back on and went to admire my gorgeous girl. I am so happy to have her, and am glad to finally say that my second target shiny of Legends Arceus has been acquired.

I just encountered and caught a shiny Snom in the Max Raid event! I feel so lucky! I named him Stardust. c:

I found two shinies back-to-back in my most recent playthrough of Brilliant Diamond. Full odds and everything. Unfortunately... they were both Unown (N and D to be exact), so it's not like I could use them on my playthrough or whatnot. But, hey, getting two shinies back-to-back is still worth something, right? My luck is never that good, so I'll take what I can get.

Recently I have encountered 3 shinies in Legends:

First was a Psyduck in a Massive Mass Outbreak, for some reason I thought I already had one, but nope, it was nowhere to be found on both SWSH and Legends. Yay!

I was dreading the day I'd find a Shiny Abra, and it happened later in a Massive Mass Outbreak in the Alabaster Icelands. I have terrible luck with non battle catches and it was being protected by 2 Kadabras, so even with the Spray it ran away. Its color is on the meh side and I was tired from the Path of Solitude battles so I let it go.

Finally a Yanma in a regular encounter, which I had no problem catching. The funny thing about it is that 10 minutes earlier I had the random thought of "It would be cool to catch a shiny Yanma".

Back
Top Bottom