• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

@Greninjaman
Eight as of the Flamigo. I consider myself luck to find one random, full-odd shiny. But eight?! I feel like the Poketuber PM7, who finds shinies on a whim, even when he's not actively looking for them. And all this is before getting the Shiny Charm. Granted, I know this streak of good luck will soon come to an end. But man, I need to know what I did that made the shiny gods feel the need to reward me so generously so I can keep that in mind for another time.

A week or so ago, I attracted a horde of Wingull on Route 8 in X, and one was a Shiny. I took down all the regular ones and caught the shiny Wingull in a Net Ball. I nicknamed her Peeko and learned she had a Lonely nature. Then, I saved the game.

Okay, after taking a break for a while I picked up my Scarlet playthrough again (the one where I've had the insane luck with shinies). I figured by now my luck has run dry since it's been a while. Nope! As soon as the spawns in the area formed what did I find? A shiny Forretress. I'm like, "You've got to be kidding me. I just boot up the game and you throw a shiny at me!?" Needless to say, yeah, caught it. I was like, "Okay, but that's gotta be the end my good luck in this playthrough. The shiny gods have been too generous, now it's time for them to be stingy." Wrong again! No more than three minutes later I ran into a shiny Sawsbuck. So I caught it as well. I'm like, "This is getting scary... since when is my luck THIS good!?" I've since turned off the game so I can report these shinies but I mean, really? Ten freaking full-odd shinies in a single playthrough!? And, again, this is before getting the Shiny Charm. Whatever I did to please the shiny gods must've been really good if they want to be THIS generous to me.

A few days ago, I encountered a shiny Happiny on a Mirage Mountain in Omega Ruby. I caught her in a Quick Ball. She is Modest and has Natural Cure as an Ability.

Well, my shiny cup continues to runneth over as I found another shiny this morning while playing the same file that has had this insane luck. A shiny Hawlucha. I was looking around the area where the Fighting Team Star camp was for items and ran into it. I almost missed it as it was lurking in the shade and it's a dark color, but after a closer look I went for it. This one I'm really happy about. I love Hawlucha and its shiny is amazing, one of the best out there. Sadly, my team is full (and I already have both a Fighting type and Flying type) but this one is still going to be a favorite of mine. But I still don't believe it: 11 shinines in one playthrough. And, again, this is before getting the Shiny Charm. Considering I went three days without a shiny I thought my luck had finally run out. Nope. Wrong again. Man, I really feel like the Poketuber PM7, as this has been the most shinies I've found in one playthrough that weren't Masuda Method. Will this insane luck continue? We shall see.

Sorry for the double post but ran into another shiny. However, this time, it was in a different game. Found a shiny Bidoof in Legends: Arceus in a new playthrough. Was just roaming the Obsidian Fieldlands, catching some Mons like Mime Jr and such, when I turned around and saw/heard the shiny sparkle effect near a Ponyta. I saved, snuck over, and found me a shiny Bidoof. One chucked Poke Ball later and it was in da bag. My first shiny of the game (Research Level 10, to boot, which probably helped). And this is why I wish Scarlet/Violet kept the shiny sound/animation effect when you run into a wild shiny, because I wasn't even going in that direction until the Bidoof came into range and the sound/flash played, alerting me to it. Ah, well, at least I got my first shiny in a new Legends: Arceus playthough.

I've been looking at my pile of like 75% completed games, and decided I was going to go back and finish up all the missions, and fully fill out the Pokedex of my Legends Arceus game. While hunting around working on filling out entries in it I ended up coming across, and successfully caught a shiny Drifblim. Thanks to that I've caught a shiny now (excluding one's you're basically handed like the red Gyarados) in every game I've played except Sword, and Violet

My luck continues as I found another shiny in Legends Arceus. A shiny Budew in the Crimson Mirelands. I had just returned to base camp to heal my team and was about to farm for some materials when I heard the shiny sound. I nearly freaked out as I didn't see where the shiny effect was. But I knew it was one of the three Budew that were in range because they were the only Mons that had appeared on my visual. After catching the immediate first two Budew I finally found the shiny one hidden behind the rock where the Black Tumblestone ore deposit is. One sneaky sneak, followed by a Great Ball and I caught my second shiny in this playthrough. But wow, two shinies in one LA playthrough. And this one wasn't even a Research Level 10 one (at least not yet, as I hadn't reported my findings/catches at the time). My luck has been unusually high lately with the shinies both in LA and Scarlet. I wonder why?

While hunting for a Roaring Moon to replace the one I traded away some time ago in Scarlet I ran into a shiny Braviary among a flock of them. Took a bit of effort but I caught it. This is in the same file that has had the insane luck of finding totally random shinies, so this one is just another to add to that collection.

Continuing through my playthrough of Arceus I was training up a Goomy to evolve and fill out more dex entries, while doing that I ended up running into a group of 3 Golduck to face at the same time. Let me just say I sure am glad they make sure you know it's a shiny by having the symbol next to their name, because I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. Knocked out the other 2 Golduck there, left the battle, hit the shiny with a Sticky Glob and made sure I caught it.

Due to some data corruption I lost a couple of game files (fortunately, they weren't major files, just a few secondary ones). So I ended up doing another Legends Arceus run to make up for the lost data (fortunately, the previous file wasn't very deep in the game so the loss was minimal). And when I decided to search for a Pichu for the dex I ran into a shiny Wurmple. Or should I say a Purmple. Haha! hears Kricketots Ahem. Anyway, I saved the game, performed some sneaky sneaking, and caught the little bug. I'm not going to evolve it because shiny Wurmple is better than either of its evolved forms. But not even an hour into the game and I caught a shiny.

Randomly encountered a shiny Solrock in Meteor Falls on Emerald yesterday. I'm glad I happened to see the sparkle animation because it's almost impossible to tell apart from regular Solrock on my GBA screen and I may have just knocked it out otherwise. That's now the second full-odds shiny I've gotten in Emerald, first was a Poochyena over a decade ago.

Continuing my playthrough in Legends Arceus I was busy catching a bunch of Mons, including the Alpha Bibarrel (which was being stubborn). And in the process I heard the shiny sound. Looking around I spotted a shiny Zubat nearby. Used my Stantler's Hypnosis to make it drowsy before chucking a ball at it. Nailed it! Now I have two shinies in my most recent playthrough of Legends Arceus. And it's a Zubat, which is typical of me. I've come to notice that there are two Mons that I'm almost guaranteed to find shiny: Zubat and Geodude. Given how many times it's happened (I could fill and entire HOME box with all the shiny Zubats and Geodudes I have found in my career as a Trainer) it's pretty much a given at this point. Why Zubat and Geodude though? I have no idea. Am I just attractive to bats and rocks? Not sure how to feel about that. :cautious:

Just today in GO, I caught a Shiny Pansage while I was out shopping.

And then there's a recent case where I caught two Shiny Buizel within days of each other, the first in Paldea around the Ruchbah Squad's Base, then the second in Hisui's Obsidian Fieldlands. Both were unintentional finds as I was on other matters, but still. I already have a Shiny (Alpha) Floatzel that I caught last year.

The past month had me catch duplicate Shiny Pokémon. Just the other day, I caught my third Shiny Riolu in the Alabaster Icelands, and then a third Shiny Aipom in the Cobalt Coastlands. There's also three Shiny Jumpluff in some bizarre luck, and three Shiny Combee (two in Hisui, one in Paldea), all male; I've since found and caught a Shiny Vespiquen at the Ruchbah Squad's Base. I've also finally caught my second Shiny H-Sneasel in a mass outbreak and evolved him into Sneasler.

I only have one Shiny Legendary Pokémon so far from the mainstream games (Xerneas), and one Shiny Paradox Pokémon (Iron Bundle).

UPDATE: I feel you shock, @CynthiaLover. In both PLA and Violet, one of the first Shiny Pokémon I caught was a Psyduck. I sometimes ask myself what makes me so attracted to blue ducks...

Last edited:
I had two shinies back-to-back in my most recent playthrough of Legends Arceus.

First, while hunting for H-Sneasel in the Coronet Highlands I ended up hearing the shiny sound. After a bit of exploring I found my target: a shiny Scyther. Managed to catch it no prob and evolved it into a shiny Kleavor.

Then, while I was attempting to catch the Alpha Gliscor (my past attempts all netted me the worst nature possible: Modest), I ended up finding a shiny Gligar in the mix. Managed to catch him and the Alpha Gliscor, though it cost me my previous Gliscor, Alpha Torerra, and H-Samurott during the battle. However... now I gotta hunt for a Razor Fang if I want to evolve this Gligar, as shiny Gliscor is one of my all-time favorite shinies. I had a Razor Fang... but I used it on an earlier Gligar (it only took KOing 41 Gligars to find the damn thing). I'll think about hunting for another Razor Fang so I can evolve the Gligar. But, for now, I'm currently truckin' with the Alpha Gliscor that I caught alongwith it, as it finally has a decent nature (Naughty).

But wow, two shinies back-to-back in pretty much the same area. I'm quite pleased, to put it simply.

Back
Top Bottom