• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

the shiny failure thread

RTA fan

Sir RTA fan of Wikia
Reaction score
if you've had a bad bit of luck during a playthrough of pokemon with shinies, post it here.
i encountered a shiny zigzagoon earlier. the problem: it was before i was given any poke balls!!!!!!!! i thought resetting might help... it didn't.

Last edited:
SUre there must be a hidden mechanic where facing a shiny doubles the chance of critical hits, I've crit hit 2

First shiny, I had no pokeball and it selfdectruted (darn voltzorb, but I found another and got it.)

my other two encounters with shinies were a success though. i used ultra balls as soon as the battles started

Found a shiny Quilladin in the friend safari.. Used false swipe on it and threw a luxury ball. But it failed... he used a moved with recoil and killed itself... I cried!

I was playing ruby and in victory road I came across a shiny Hariyama. It used whirlwind immediately.

The next time I played through ruby, I was in victory road again. All I could think about was that Hariyama. Surely, it was just a one-time thing. Wrong. I encountered another shiny Hariyama. I quickly gained hope. I was able to whittle its health down enough, but the first ultra ball failed. Another hit, health in the red. Another failed ultra ball. THEN it decided to use whirlwind :/

I believe it was my brother who found a shiny Graveler in one of the 2nd gen games, which of course used Selfdestruct.
He also, when he was a lot younger, told me that he found a shiny Sableye, but didn't understand that it was rare so he ran from it.

I think my only failure with shinies is the ability to find one. As in, I can't. Over probably 1500+ hours of playing every game, I've only ever found one shiny naturally; a Cubone in SoulSilver Rock Tunnel.

I did manage to chain fish enough to get two shiny Claunchers in X, though, which is nice but kind of feels like cheating.

Last edited:
I only had two Shiny failures so far thoughout my years of playing Pokémon. They are:

Shiny Graveler
Game: Pokémon Crystal
Reason: It used Selfdestruct on me

Shiny Volbeat
Game: Pokémon Sapphire
Reason: Ran out of Poké Balls, so I had no choice but to knock it out.

I've found two shiny Frogadier inside the Friend Safari, both terribly useless for competitive.

Going back to the days of GSC, my very first shiny encounter was a shiny Spinarak on the route north of Cherrygrove. Not knowing about the shiny mechanic at the time, I immediately turned off my game and restarted the file, thinking my save had become corrupted.

I am happy to say I have not had a "shiny failure." I was close when a Shiny Machoke decided to show itself in my Pokemon Pearl. Thank goodness my friend was able to catch him.

With all of the shinies I've encountered in X/Y, surprisingly I've only had one fail. A shiny Mankey that I used too strong of a Pokemon against, and knocked it out with Shadow Ball.

Hatched a shiny Magby from the Odd Egg in Crystal. The bad luck? The cartridge died before I made it past Ecruteak.

Caught a shiny Silcoon and a shiny Spinda in Ruby. Ended up trading both of them away, don't remember what for. I didn't put a lot of value on shinies back then; actually, I found them rather annoying.

Never encountered anything but the red gyarados. even the odd egg failed me. When I get X,(My parents didn't want to buy a whole new system because all I have is a DS lite and GBA SP for handhelds)I better get a shiny Fennekin or Honedge for all the years I searched.

My little sister once found a Shiny Ponyta in my Platinum, and at the time, she didn't know what a "Shiny" was, and she killled it.
Later, she told me that she found a "blue Ponyta", and once I found out what she did, I almost killed her.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom