• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Simple Question / Simple (or not so) Answer thread Mark II

Who did you pick?

• Dialga

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Palkia

• Giratina

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DCM

Man Skilled In All Ways of Contending
Reaction score
seeing how monstrous the original simple questions thread is, I've decided to close that thread and start a new one, simply in the interest of making things easier to refer back to.

for reference, the original simple questions thread is here. And the original HGSS one is here

I do encourage that before you ask your questions, you check Bulbapedia for the answer.

for example, if the question is "what does the ability levitate do", then you should first check Bulbapedia.

I'll start this off:

I know you can check a your SID by way of pokesav or action replay, but is there any other way to do it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe there's a formula for finding it, but it's rather complex and requires you to have a shiny Pokemon obtained randomly through the wild - no Pokeradar, no fixed shinies. I saw it on Smogon, but I can't help you with finding it - I searched for a few hours last week and found nothing. You'll have to look on your own. Sorry I can't help you any more than that.

It requires that you have a random shiny (not bred or chained) Pokemon, or 3-8 chained shinies (the red Gyrados also works, you catch it finds it's IV's, reset and do the whole process over again). You can then use RNG report to find your SID.

You can also do it by hand with the aid of a PID calculator, a random shiny (chained will not work here) and a calculator that can convert between binary, hexidecimal, and decimal (Windows Calculator can do this)... It's way easier to just RNG report.

To use RNG Report
If you have a random shiny: go to IV's to PID tab. Input the all the information it asks for (IV's, Nature, and your Trainer ID), and click "Find". It will give you the PID of the Pokemon and a compatible SID for the Trainer ID given.

If you have chained shinies: Go to the "Chain to SID" tab. Input all the information asked for (IV's, Nature, Gender, Gender Ratio, and Ability*) for each Pokemon 1 by 1, and your Trainer ID. Keep doing so until it narrows down your SID, it should take no less than 3, and no more than 8 Pokemon to narrow it down.

*Ability is 1, 0, or single ability. Each ability for a Pokemon has a number 0 or 1; which ability is 0 and which is 1 for each Pokemon with 2 abilities can be found here
-Gender Ratio can be found on Serebii's Pokedex page and probably on Bulbapedia as well.
-The way to find it by hand is kinda fun, it can be found here

I hope that helps.

I was leveling up my Giratina in SS, and when it reached 36, the stat boost said +-12 in attack and special attack! On the upside, it gained +17 in defense and + 15 in Special def, but still: does anyone know what the heck is going on?

Edit: It seems this only applied for Alt. Giratina, as Origin leveled up like normal, but still wondering.

It requires that you have a random shiny (not bred or chained) Pokemon, or 3-8 chained shinies (the red Gyrados also works, you catch it finds it's IV's, reset and do the whole process over again). You can then use RNG report to find your SID.

You can also do it by hand with the aid of a PID calculator, a random shiny (chained will not work here) and a calculator that can convert between binary, hexidecimal, and decimal (Windows Calculator can do this)... It's way easier to just RNG report.

To use RNG Report
If you have a random shiny: go to IV's to PID tab. Input the all the information it asks for (IV's, Nature, and your Trainer ID), and click "Find". It will give you the PID of the Pokemon and a compatible SID for the Trainer ID given.

If you have chained shinies: Go to the "Chain to SID" tab. Input all the information asked for (IV's, Nature, Gender, Gender Ratio, and Ability*) for each Pokemon 1 by 1, and your Trainer ID. Keep doing so until it narrows down your SID, it should take no less than 3, and no more than 8 Pokemon to narrow it down.

*Ability is 1, 0, or single ability. Each ability for a Pokemon has a number 0 or 1; which ability is 0 and which is 1 for each Pokemon with 2 abilities can be found here
-Gender Ratio can be found on Serebii's Pokedex page and probably on Bulbapedia as well.
-The way to find it by hand is kinda fun, it can be found here

I hope that helps.

thanks!

flaming infernape, thats the results of EV's. the more you get, the higher the boost from one level to another will be.

ITARIA pikachu (italian airline event)- ot itaria-20034

That is all i came up with on Google. If someone knows more about this EVENT please let me know.

repost of old question no one has answer yet.

flaming infernape, thats the results of EV's. the more you get, the higher the boost from one level to another will be.

I know, but the fact the I actually got negative stat boosts was startling.

I am trying to hatch a machop with Adament nature and a likes to thrash about characteristic. I have a male and female machop in day care both holding everstones and both with an Adament nature. Up to now I have hatched 90 eggs without success.

Is there a reason why I can't get this characteristic?

I am trying to hatch a machop with Adament nature and a likes to thrash about characteristic. I have a male and female machop in day care both holding everstones and both with an Adament nature. Up to now I have hatched 90 eggs without success.

You're not lucky enough. One of your parent Pokemon may not have the perfect Attack IV. Sometimes the Attack IV is randomly generated.

Does King's Rock stack with Senere Grace and Air Slash/Extrasensory? If so, what is the new flinch rate?

If a Ground-type used Earthquake while holding an Earth Plate/Soft Sand/Muscle Band, the move's base power should go from 100 to 120 from the hold item, then up to 180 due to STAB, correct?

What are good moves to take advantage of on pokemon with Technician? I already know of Bullet Punch/Bug Bite on Scizor, but I have heard Double Hit really does well on Ambipom, as does Fake Out. Maybe a Triple Kick Hitmontop could be good, as well...

Edit: A Technician Ambipom using Double Hit would do 158 damage total, right?

Last edited:
Does King's Rock stack with Senere Grace and Air Slash/Extrasensory? If so, what is the new flinch rate?
Air Slash with Serene Grace and a King's Rock has a 64% flinch rate. Extrasensory does not stack with King's Rock.

If a Ground-type used Earthquake while holding an Earth Plate/Soft Sand/Muscle Band, the move's base power should go from 100 to 120 from the hold item, then up to 180 due to STAB, correct?
Correct. Also, Muscle Band only increases power by 10%.

What are good moves to take advantage of on pokemon with Technician? I already know of Bullet Punch/Bug Bite on Scizor, but I have heard Double Hit really does well on Ambipom, as does Fake Out. Maybe a Triple Kick Hitmontop could be good, as well...
Any priority move goes well with Technician. Pursuit and Payback also go well with Technician. Hidden Power is usable if you also have Nasty Plot.

Even with STAB and Technician, Triple Kick does less damage than Close Combat. I wouldn't recommend it.

A Technician Ambipom using Double Hit would do 158 damage total, right?
If by damage you mean base power, incorrect. Double Hit would equal 105 in total.

I have a problem That when I try to raise the stats of my pokemon with calcium and iron and thing like this the stats wasn't raise at all
If someone know hat is the problem please tell me

I have a problem That when I try to raise the stats of my pokemon with calcium and iron and thing like this the stats wasn't raise at all
If someone know hat is the problem please tell me
They don't really raise the stat. They raise the EV of their stats, which activate when your Pokemon hits level 100.

Which, if any, Pokémon can learn both Electric- and Fire-type moves (while being suitable for competitive battling)?

Which, if any, Pokémon can learn both Electric- and Fire-type moves (while being suitable for competitive battling)?
Well, off the top of my head, Machamp can learn Fire Punch and ThunderPunch. I'm sure a lot of Pokémon can learn both those moves. If you're aiming more towards Special, just about every Pokémon can learn Hidden Power. You could narrow it down to those that learn Flamethrower or Thunderbolt. Azelf, Dragonite, Weezing, Magmortar, and Tyranitar can all learn both Thunderbolt and Flamethrower.

plenty of pokemon, Electivire and manectric can both learn fire type moves iin addition to their stab electric typing. For the other side of the spectrum Blaziken and Arcanine I know for sure can learn thunderpunch and thunderfang respectively, I'm sure that there are others, I just odn't know off the top of my head.

I didn't think this was answered properly on page 1, so, here it goes. The reason you're not getting the characteristic you desire is because your parents aren't passing on a individual value of:

1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, or 31 in the attack stat and a value for the attack stat hasn't been randomly generated that matches a number previously listed. Now, I'm assuming that you're aiming for perfection because who wants a Machamp with an Attack IV of 1. However, Likes to Thrash About isn't always perfect. All it means is that the last digit of the individual value is either:

1 or 6. Meaning that it could also be just as crappy, as it could be good. Additionally, only the female is capable of passing down the nature via everstone method, so having the male hold the everstone is pointless. If you get a Machop with the same nature as the father, its just luck unless the father is the same nature as the mother which in that case there is a good chance it was the mother's nature to begin with, but that's a quirky situation.

Furthermore, you might actually be getting the desired IV just the characteristic isn't showing because another stat is:

1. Higher
2. Equal in value to the attack IV and the game has randomly chosen the other IV's characteristic to appear.

In order to look for potential candidates with this IV what I would do is first: Release all Machop that aren't adamant because even with the Everstone help from the mother there are some that WONT be Adamant natured. Then, go talk to the Individual Value rate in the Battle Tower. He's dressed like a scientist and standing right next to the PC in the battle tower. He'll first judge the overall potential of your Pokemon (aka the total sum of all the IVs put together).

If he says Decent all around the total sum of the IVs is: 0-90
Above Average overall=91-120
Super something (I'm sorry I forget this)=121 and 150
Outstanding Potential Overall= 151-186

I'd say after weeding out nonadamants, weed out any Machops that are decent all around because they aren't all that dandy...however if a decent all around machop gets a perfect attack IV then keep it until you get one that is Above average overall or higher.

Then he'll rate a certain stat, what you want to say is: It's perfect in that reguard about your attack stat cause then you know its a 31 individual value.

I hope this helped.

They don't really raise the stat. They raise the EV of their stats, which activate when your Pokemon hits level 100.

Incorrect, the stat are boosted all the way, but the Pokemon reaches it's full potential at level 100. A Pokemon at level 50 will get a boost of 31 (I think) stat points. While the same Pokemon at level 100 will have a boost of 63 stat points.

Magmortar and Electvire can both learn Thunder Punch, Fire Punch, Flamethrower and Thunderbolt.
Also most of the dragons can learn some fire and el moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom