• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Simple Question / Simple (or not so) Answer thread Mark II

Who did you pick?

• Dialga

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Palkia

• Giratina

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there such thing as Pokemon that you receive from a trade from someone that can corrupt your game?

I don't think so, as I hack and have been traded hacks, and my game is fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't think so, as I hack and have been traded hacks, and my game is fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's quite possible that it could happen, but not likely. It would probably have something to do with viewing the summary page of a Pokemon, or possibly even while battling. I highly doubt that would ever happen, but knowing how badly Action Replays can sometimes screw a game up, I wouldn't be surprised.

But really, if the person had accidentally screwed the Pokemon up, I doubt they would trade it instead of releasing it instead. Too much trouble.

As others have said, it's extremely unlikely but it could be possible in very rare circumstances. Depending on how the hack was created and whether it conforms to something you could naturally get in normal gameplay, or is just totally out there with too many EVs, etc.

Of course many Official event Pokemon technically break some of the "soft" (violable, but not in normal gameplay) limits. For example, certain event Pokemon have moves that they can't naturally learn. So the odds of a hacked Pokemon with an unnatural move doing actual damge seems slim.

Breeding for shinies:

Has it been asked whether a Pokémon's shininess is created when the egg is created or when it starts hatching and the Pokémon is created? And, which is it?

I think it's determined when the egg actually hatches, but don't quote me on that. I'm under that impression because I believe I've heard it's possible to hatch a shiny Manaphy from the Ranger egg, but only if you trade it to another Gen IV game after receiving the egg. The game it's traded to would need to have the appropriate Trainer ID and SID (in combination with the Manaphy's PID) to result in it being shiny, something that the Mystery Gift algorithms would've made sure didn't happen with the game the egg was originally received to.

Last edited:
I think it's determined when the egg actually hatches, but don't quote me on that. I'm under that impression because I believe I've heard it's possible to hatch a shiny Manaphy from the Ranger egg, but only if you trade it to another Gen IV game after receiving the egg. The game it's traded to would need to have the appropriate Trainer ID and SID (in combination with the Manaphy's SID) to result in it being shiny, something that the Mystery Gift algorithms would've made sure didn't happen with the game the egg was originally received to.

It's possible: I PRNG-abused for a shiny one downloading the Manaphy Egg from Shadows of Almia to my Platinum cart; then, using the data from my HeartGold version (ID and Secret ID No.) I searched for a good Method 1 spread and correlation, after that I received the egg from the green man in Platinum and finally transferred it to my HeartGold cart to later hatch it. At first, Manaphy hatches without being shiny, but after the crack 'n' pop animation of the Pokémon being born happens, you can look at the summary screen to find out that Manaphy is indeed shiny.

However, shininess per se is determined once the egg has been created because at that point the Personality Value of the Pokémon is already fixed and can't change; it's just that if you trade the egg (which, if it's hatched on that cart would produce a shiny Pokémon) to another game, the new ID and Secret ID No. replace the old values (after the animation of the egg hatching happens, of course) so that the correlation Personality Value-ID/Secret ID No. won't result in a shiny Pokémon.

Yeah, I've never had luck with breeding shinies and ain't obsessive enough to RNG my way into hatching one, but it really would suck if a few of the eggs I traded over to my Emerald version (FRLG doesn't halve the step requirements even with Magma Armor in the party) were like that, and ended up losing their shininess.

Also, random question, but is it possible to obtain a Pokemon via the GTS that comes holding a key item? Like, if you requested a fodder with a Super rod to snag high-level Water types early in the game, for instance. We know that's not possible during regular gameplay, obviously, but use your imagination! ~_~

Since Pokemon can't hold key items in the first place, I think the answer should be no. But if someone knows more about the possiblities, I am all ears.

A question... Let's say that I am trading with someone via Wifi. I received a new Pokemon from him/her. Do I need to exit the Union Room to obtain the dex entry?

Since Pokemon can't hold key items in the first place, I think the answer should be no. But if someone knows more about the possiblities, I am all ears.

A question... Let's say that I am trading with someone via Wifi. I received a new Pokemon from him/her. Do I need to exit the Union Room to obtain the dex entry?

I've traded a few *newer* Pokemon to SS (new as in don't have in 'Dex) and they popped up there. You still have access to the PokeDex while in the Union Room.

In HG, I have the gym leaders's numbers, and I'm calling at the right time but they're not wanting a rematch. Do I have to defeat all sixteen of them before I can organizes rematches, or something?

Yes, you need all sixteen badges before you can rematch Gym Leaders in HG/SS.

Really? That seems like a waste. I have enough trouble levelling up new Pokémon in my team since there's so little challenge. Gym Leader rematches would help out greatly. I have little reason to train use them after the main story.

I'm thinking Gym Leader rematches are mostly for fun. Training late in the game is best done by rematching the Elite Four.

Whether it's possible with the AR or not is what I was asking, lol. I mean, you can have Sableyes with Wonder guard and Sheer Cold, Lock on, Horn drill, and Fissure using cheating devices, so it's indeed worth wondering whether key items can be obtained that way.

And also, I found the GL rematches a lot more handy since all you need to do is walk out of the dojo and call them again and again, instead of having to tread through loads of dialog and HoF inaugurations and all that shit (not to mention being teleported back to your room after it's done >_>).

Can anyone please explain me the difference between IV and EV training?
I'm a bit confused.I just caught a Jolly Gallade and I only ev trained it but didn't know about Iv training.Same for my Starmie.Its speed is only 159 at lv.50 while I had another one that had 160 speed.

Question

So, i had a problem and went to this forum to solve it with my first post.

I traded with a NPC in Firered for a female nidoran and now i want my male back, but when i walk up to the NPC it just asks me how her's is doing. Can i get my nidoran back? my last save point is really far back and i would rather avoid that

If i posted this in the wrong area sorry

Re: Question

I traded with a NPC in Firered for a female nidoran and now i want my male back, but when i walk up to the NPC it just asks me how her's is doing. Can i get my nidoran back? my last save point is really far back and i would rather avoid that

You can't get the Nidoran back. You'll either have to catch a new one or turn off the game.

Can anyone please explain me the difference between IV and EV training?
I'm a bit confused.I just caught a Jolly Gallade and I only ev trained it but didn't know about Iv training.Same for my Starmie.Its speed is only 159 at lv.50 while I had another one that had 160 speed.

You cannot IV train. IVs are inherited.

I recomment this article if you're interested in learning more about IVs.

http://www.smogon.com/ingame/misc/evs_ivs#ivs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom