• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Simpsons to be cancelled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pidgeot

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
A row between 20th Century Fox Television and six key voice actors on The Simpsons could cause the long-running cartoon to end.

The two parties are arguing over a proposed pay cut, meaning production on the world's most-famous animated series could stop after the current 23rd series ends next spring.

Dan Castellaneta (Homer, Grampa Simpson, Krusty the Clown, and others), Julie Kavner (Marge and others), Nancy Cartwright (Bart and others), Yeardley Smith (Lisa), Hank Azaria (Moe Szyslak, Chief Wiggum and Apu Nahasapeemapetilon), and Harry Shearer (Mr. Burns, Principal Skinner, Ned Flanders, and others) currently each earn aroundt $8 million a year for 22 weeks’ work.

Fox bosses, however, are reportedly tabling a 45 per cent pay-cut for the six stars, an offer which has gone down like a kiss from Aunt Selma.

Although negotiations in the past have come to an agreeable end - Fox studio execs have threatened to replace cast members with sound-alike actors on a number of occasions - this time it seems the executives are adamant they'll get their way.

The actors responded to their bosses demands by offering to take a 30 per cent pay-cut in exchange for a slice of the show's profits from syndication and merchandising around the world.

As reported by The Beast, Fox turned down the deal, but declined to make an official statement on the matter.

An insider did, however, suggest bosses want to cut costs dramatically or they will shut down The Simpsons for good.

"The show has made billions in profits over the years and will continue to do so as far as the eye can see down the road," said the source. "The actors are willing to take a pay cut of roughly a third, but that’s not good enough for Fox."

Frankly, I don't care if The Simpsons is cancelled, as it hasn't been very good for a decade. Also, if they do bring sound-alike actors in, it still won't save the show from going downhill.

It will be a truly sad day when the Simpsons reaches its final episode. A bummer too, as this current season is starting out pretty good.

Oh well, I guess nothing good lasts forever, and nothing could beat the older episodes anyways.

If it goes, it'll leave room for Futurama or another, new cartoon. They've run so long that they literally had nothing to do with the characters unless they retconned stuff. It's time, I think.

Meh....

It hasn't been remotely funny since season 9.

Season 3-8 is comedy at it's best.

regardless if funny or not, the show needs to go out with a bang.

The Simpsons hasn't been good for a while now, but I'd find it so weird if it got cancelled. It's just one of those things that seems like it's gonna be around forever, having been around for over 20 years. Idk, I think I have mixed feelings on this.

I can see how it appears to have run its course anyway but, to be honest, I never imagined it would actually stop. D: Still, it'd be interesting to see what it would make room for.

8 million a year? Good god, what does one even do with that amount of money? Looking at this as the average joe, it's...really difficult to take any qualms these guys have about receiving just over half of that amount seriously.

In any case, I echo the sentiments that, yes, the show is pretty awful these days, and that I wouldn't be at all disappointed to see it go.
That said, I do agree with IS1296. The series started off brilliantly, and has lasted so long, that it'd be a shame if it didn't go out with a bang.

I agree with what a lot of people are saying. Although it will be weird to see it go, as long as it goes out with a bang, I will be fine. The entire series is getting pretty tired and repetitive, and I would rather have the show have closure than to have it just end without any sort of resolution.

Fun Fact: Simpsons will hit the 500th episode milestone in February of next year. I think the season ends somewhere around episode 510 or so.

I assume if the series ends they'll make another movie afterward to give it a more proper finale.

From this Cracked.com article:

The Simpsons is perhaps television's greatest aberration -- it's likely to carry on until the sun explodes.

I don't think it's going to be cancelled any time soon.

Fox already confirmed that if the VA's renew their contracts, Season 24 would still be the final season.

Either way Simpsons is either ending in May 2012 or May 2013.

Heh, never seemed like it was going to end, after spending a childhood growing up on it.

I don't understand the universal hate for The Simpsons essentially post-1997. Is it as good as it was in its glory days? No, but you'd be hard-pressed to find anything that is. To say things like it "isn't remotely funny now" or something as silly is "it sucks" is so far into hyperbole it's laughable. So the show has changed. At least it is still decent-good. And decent or even bad Simpsons is better than a helluva lot of what is on TV right now in its genre. The show has done so much for television that it is beyond just an icon of its medium but a cultural icon that changed the way we watch TV and changed our perception of the animated program. It is a very significant, very important piece of modern America.

NEVAR! At least until they reach the 500th episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom