• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Hisui Dex Discussion

I can kind of see them stretching the rules a bit just to have Rotom show up in the past version of it's native region. Like the aforementioned tin toys or automatons to things that can conduct electricity that also have moving parts. Maybe steam and coal powered things will work in this setting...who knows.

Either that or maybe Rotom are just silly little zappy bois in the game and like nobody figured out that they're electrical poltergeists until the advent of electric household appliances.

I honestly don't expect more than 2/300 mons like the original platinum dex (and clearly no new ones). I'm ok with even less than that actually. Remember that our main goal is to create a pokedex so they cannot trasform this game into the "collect the 900 korok seeds" of Pokemon. I played Sw/Sh with 400 pokemon, I can totally play this with 2/300. The number of Pokemon is clearly not the selling point of this game.

I think that focusing on a smaller number of Pokémon could also help in developing different and more complex routines and behaviors.

The official site mentions that we could study Pokémon to learn their weaknesses. Even if this wasn’t really shown in the trailer, it could mean that they move and act differently, and don’t have a standard, repeated movement.

I’d also like if they could interact with each other, both in friendly and antagonistic ways.

If those things are in, I don’t mind at all a small dex. Plus, given the premise of the game it makes little sense that 6-700 different species are present in Sinnoh back then.

I think that focusing on a smaller number of Pokémon could also help in developing different and more complex routines and behaviors.

The official site mentions that we could study Pokémon to learn their weaknesses. Even if this wasn’t really shown in the trailer, it could mean that they move and act differently, and don’t have a standard, repeated movement.

I’d also like if they could interact with each other, both in friendly and antagonistic ways.

If those things are in, I don’t mind at all a small dex. Plus, given the premise of the game it makes little sense that 6-700 different species are present in Sinnoh back then.
I wouldn't be too optimistic about that. From what we have seen in the trailer the animations in the wild are kinda similar to those seen in sw/sh. Not counting that one shinx keeps living its life totally ignoring that its friend just disappeared in a ball. This is still gen 8 afterall...

I wouldn't be too optimistic about that. From what we have seen in the trailer the animations in the wild are kinda similar to those seen in sw/sh. Not counting that one shinx keeps living its life totally ignoring that its friend just disappeared in a ball.
I’m definitely not build up expectations of that to happen, I just think that it’d be easier with a smaller number of Pokémon.

Regardless of those animations being in or not, though, I’m hoping the trailer is just a proof of concept and that they’d work for fixing the many technical issues present in it, as well as improving on other stuff.

Even if the animations remains the same and none of what I wrote will happen, I doubt we’ll see that little number of Pokémon in the same area.

I’m definitely not build up expectations of that to happen, I just think that it’d be easier with a smaller number of Pokémon.

Regardless of those animations being in or not, though, I’m hoping the trailer is just a proof of concept and that they’d work for fixing the many technical issues present in it, as well as improving on other stuff.

Even if the animations remains the same and none of what I wrote will happen, I doubt we’ll see that little number of Pokémon in the same area.
Oh yeah, there will clearly be more pokemon (and hopefully people) roaming around in the next trailers. While I don't think this is just a proof of concept (we are just a year from release), I agree that probably this is not 1:1 what the game will look like. I mean they hided roaming pokemon from the first trailer of sw/sh so for sure there's much more in this games than empy lands with low resolution pokemon XD.

A small Pokedex of around 2/300 might make the game too barren, especially since its Open World and especially since its kinda implied the other regions are more established than the ancient Sinnoh one. So around 400 Pokemon in the game might make more sense. However, more than 400 mons might stretch it too much. So i personally would say a tally between 320 and 360 Pokemon is the ideal number to have in the game.

A small Pokedex of around 2/300 might make the game too barren, especially since its Open World and especially since its kinda implied the other regions are more established than the ancient Sinnoh one. So around 400 Pokemon in the game might make more sense. However, more than 400 mons might stretch it too much. So i personally would say a tally between 320 and 360 Pokemon is the ideal number to have in the game.
I still find weird that the other regions are more established than ancient Sinnoh. I always thought everything began in Sinnoh in the Pokemon world (but clearly from GF perspective Charizard was in Kanto even before Arceus was born from the egg).

I still find weird that the other regions are more established than ancient Sinnoh. I always thought everything began in Sinnoh in the Pokemon world (but clearly from GF perspective Charizard was in Kanto even before Arceus was born from the egg).

It also kinda clashes with the lore established in Alola, since people from the Japanese regions founded the Alola region as it currently is.

It also kinda clashes with the lore established in Alola, since people from the Japanese regions founded the Alola region as it currently is.
Alola was established by the people of Kanto and Johto. Therefore, I think it’s safe to say that the Poké-Japan started in those two regions and then spread out.

The number of Pokemon is clearly not the selling point of this game.
I disagree here. I think centering the game around building a Pokédex makes the number of Pokémon a selling point as that directly ties into what appears to be the core content of the game.
Was this the lore? I thought the inclusion of Kanto/Johto influences was a reference to Japanese immigrants to Hawaii; I don’t recall it being said that Kantonians founded the region.

Was this the lore? I thought the inclusion of Kanto/Johto influences was a reference to Japanese immigrants to Hawaii; I don’t recall it being said that Kantonians founded the region.

Me too. Especially considering there are very obvious Hawaiian characters in the game that state that what we see in the game is their traditions and the theme of the game with you establishing the leauge is tradition vs. Modernization.

The whole region wasn't created by Kantonian/Johtoians, there just happened to be an immigration boom. I mean there's also a Chinese style town so that also means people came over from a Chinese based region too.

I'd take the Platinum Pokedex, remove "modern" Pokemon and add about 100 (not just those from DP's post-game) for a total of 300.

Kanto and Johto, specifically. But they just settled in two towns; obviously there were already natives. I'm wondering if something similar is the case for Sinnoh unless Game Freak felt like ignoring a lot of DPPt and even HGSS myths.

Last edited:
I hope there's like a cutscene showing how most of the fire type pokemon were removed from Sinnoh prior to the events of Diamond and Pearl. Because my headcanon since 2006 is that a cataclysm killed most of the fire type pokemon in Sinnoh prior to Diamond and Pearl.

The real life region that Sinnoh is based on was one of the last to be fully colonized so it still makes sense in comparison to real life history.

I hope there's like a cutscene showing how most of the fire type pokemon were removed from Sinnoh prior to the events of Diamond and Pearl. Because my headcanon since 2006 is that a cataclysm killed most of the fire type pokemon in Sinnoh prior to Diamond and Pearl.
I hope they won't go 1:1 with the Sinnoh dex. I'm ok with that total number of pokemon but honestly it would be better if some pokemon from gen 5-8 took the place of some gen 1-3 pokemon. It's Sinnoh, so I guess gen 4 mons have the right to be in the dex, but let's hope for a good mix of the others.

I'm predicting that players will have access to all Pokémon across SwSh, BDSP, and Legends. They may not be able to use them in every game, but they'll have access to all of them in HOME.

I'm predicting that players will have access to all Pokémon across SwSh, BDSP, and Legends. They may not be able to use them in every game, but they'll have access to all of them in HOME.
Yes, Game Freak will continue to make their games compatible with Home at least in one direction. That isn't the point of the thread.

Yes, Game Freak will continue to make their games compatible with Home at least in one direction. That isn't the point of the thread.

The point is that the Pokemon that aren't available in SwSh might show up in LA's Sinnoh Dex. There's a lot of Pokemon on that list that could really fit Sinnoh, and since BDSP is going to be a faithful remake, we might not see a lot of those Pokemon added (hell if it's like LGPE, we might not see much more than Platinum's 210). Since LA is taking a lot more liberties with Sinnoh and is a large open world that they want us to explore to fill up the Sinnoh Dex, it might be larger than usual.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom